Gold Ray Dam Removal Picture Update - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Community

Old 08-03-2010, 12:47 PM   #1
McBaine
Chromer

Default Gold Ray Dam Removal Picture Update

Hey all, I swung by Gold Ray Dam this afternoon and took some pictures. This will provide a different view than what you see on the webcam. I also talked to one of the crewmen working at the site. In short they plan to have the rest of the dam removed to the coffer dam on Friday. They'll also extend out the cofferdam up river to join up with the upper portion of Kelly's Slew. Sometime next Tuesday they will breach the coffer dam sending the Rogue first through Kelly's Slew which will feed into the original river channel. This will expose the bedrock on the north side which they say is several feet higher than the South side. This will save them from building a whole new coffer dam for the North side when they take out the remaining dam and fish ladder.

One of the original Gold Ray dam built in the early 1900s. This dam does extend to the other side of the river and is made out of logs, rock and cement.

The most time consuming part is removing the base of Gold Ray dam from the bed rock. There is a ton of re-bar in here and you don't want any left behind. Steel re-bar and aluminum boats don't mix.

At the cofferdam joint the plan is to extend it up river and cut of Kelly's Slew, when they breach the dam, it will direct the river through Kelly's slew and hopefully expose the bed rock that is on the North side of Gold Ray dam.

All the rock being removed right now is being kept on site to use for further building the cofferdam. It will all be taken out when all the dams and fish ladder have been taken out. This is saving them time and money for transporting rock.

This old dam was much more robust than was originally thought. When they started the crew was under the impression it was just logs and loose rock, when in fact it was filled in with concrete.

Yep Gold Ray Dam is hallow. The concrete wall is only 18" thick.

Those last two sections of the dam will be taken out by Friday.

This will be the side that the Rogue will run though, leaving just bedrock on the other side. Hopefully they go through with a plan to put in a park and new boat ramp just up river from this site.

I plan to be there at the site when they breach the cofferdam and will post pictures when I take them.

Last edited by McBaine; 08-03-2010 at 12:50 PM.
McBaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 01:07 PM   #2
fish_less
Cutthroat

Default Re: Gold Ray Dam Removal Picture Update

Thanks for update and great pictures. I grew up in Gold Hill, I have lots of found memories fishing all summer. Oh how I miss the Rouge River.
fish_less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 01:30 PM   #3
Siwash
Ifish Nate

Wow, thanks for the detailed photo essay. Cool stuff.
Siwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 02:19 PM   #4
gr8grins
Steelhead

This is so good to see!!! Thank you for the pics and update. Please keep us posted.
I grew up fishing, and still do fish the lower Rogue and there is no place like it. With both these old dam(n)s gone, this will only become a more special place.
the intangible allure that comes from fishing on a (mostly - excluding Lost Creek) unimpeded river is fantastic.
The increased size and quality habitat that will exist and the resulting improved fish runs will hopefully set a good example for what can be done to improve our environment and undo some of the damage we've done that is no longer benefitting us. After the last removal on the Rogue I recall an estimation of an increase of 100,000 anadromous fish per year. Hopefully this will accomplish the same or more. That's a lot of fish. A lot of money that will be put into the economy of the communities that benefit from the Rogue's tourism draw. What a concept! Higher quality river, more fish, more tourism and more business. Everyone wins.
We can hope for and work toward applying this same common sense approach to habitat improvement to other rivers.
Again, what a treat!!!
gr8grins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 04:49 PM   #5
Lead Bouncer
King Salmon

Outstanding effort McBaine.
Old 08-03-2010, 04:55 PM   #6
Straydog
King Salmon

Thanks Steve for the great pics and the update!!

It is going to be very exciting to watch and experience our Rogue river, as it starts another chapter, as a mostly free flowing river!

Straydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 05:02 PM   #7
mckenzieguy
Steelhead

These seem to be positive signs for the native fish in Oregon and N.Cali..

These are tax dollars being spent to repair our shotcommings of the past..

God bless our fisheries..

Steve
mckenzieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 09:00 AM   #8
McBaine
Chromer

You're welcome all. As I told Dave yesterday, I've been giddy as a school girl watching the dam come out. Kinda disappointed that so few news outlets haven't picked up the story more. Save for a local TV station and the Mail Tribune there hasn't been much coverage.
Old 08-10-2010, 12:42 PM   #9
McBaine
Chromer

Hey all, ok I was at the dam site today and talked to one of the crew. The old Gold Ray dam, the one made of logs and rock, is starting to come out. First they need to drain Kelly's Slough so they can get at the dam. The were kinda surprised how robust and big that dam was. They'll start draining the slough tomorrow (Wednesday). At that point they will tear out the remainder of the old dam. That will take the rest of the week.

Early next week, probably on Tuesday, they will breach the outside of the temporary cofferdam which will route the Rogue through part of Kelly's Slough and down through the opening of Gold Ray freeing it. They said they will have a media blitz over the weekend and will close Gold Ray Rd. to traffic, but allow people to walk in and watch it happen. I'll post some pictures I took later today.
Old 08-10-2010, 01:05 PM   #10
Spade
Tuna!

Thanks for sharing the updates, we all appreciate it.
Old 08-10-2010, 02:49 PM   #11
Lift Gate Gus
Steelhead

Thank you for sharing keep us posted. Very nice pics.
Old 08-10-2010, 02:56 PM   #12
McBaine
Chromer

Thanks! I've started a new thread with updated pictures and the new rough time line. Go here: http://www.ifish.net/board/showthread.php?t=318462