Pink worms for trout! - www.ifish.net

Trout Yak!
Trout & Kokanee Fishing with Buzz Ramsey

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Trout Yak! Trout & Kokanee Fishing

Old 07-31-2010, 12:54 PM   #1
MegaByte
Sturgeon

Default Pink worms for trout!

I know Steelhead like pink worms so I decided to try trolling a pink worm with the downriggers in Hagg Lake. I was blown away when I saw the results. I ran the worm with no flasher at 40-80 feet depending on the depth. I tried to target what I saw on the fish finder and it worked. The warmer water has pushed these big guys deep! Three guys, hooked 12 fish and kept 5.

Last edited by MegaByte; 08-18-2010 at 10:55 PM.
MegaByte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 01:05 PM   #2
skaha
Steelhead

Default Re: Pink worms for trout!

--how did you rig the worm?

--I have used many critter type baits supposed to be for bass on trout salmon and steelhead.. lizards etc. many in no way reflect the natual colours.

--I think fish just want to make sure they aren't taking a bite our of a log or leaf so if it looks live or smells different than a stick I think they'll take it.

--I've always felt being in the fish zone to be as important as the lure. This is a lot easier with modern electronics.. temp and fish finders.

--Not to mention the look on other fishers faces when you show them what you caught them on.
Old 07-31-2010, 01:59 PM   #3
warmwater
Coho

Whoa, nice catches! Did you use normal, Steelhead sized pink plastic worms, or did you go with the "trout worms" size that Berkely offers, more akin to garden worms size?
warmwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 03:21 PM   #4
MegaByte
Sturgeon

I used the regular larger steelhead size ones. I tried the little trout types and had zero takes. The big fish want the big bait! I simply threaded the pink worm on a single 1/0 steelhead hook and placed the hook about 1 1/2 inches up from the tail of the worm. I believe they hit the thing and missed the hook which is fine, because the next pass they swallow it and the hook is about 1-2 inches into the mouth. So..just thread the worm on all the way to about 1-1/2 inches from the tail. IMPORTANT>>>>>>>>Keep the worm as straight as possible. If it has any rolling action, they will not hit it. If you get a hit and a miss, after about 2 more minutes, reel in and check the worm to be sure it is straight.
MegaByte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 09:24 PM   #5
silverbull3t
Coho

i agreed the berkly ones dont get no action... iv also had good luck with orange worms too
Old 08-01-2010, 01:59 PM   #6
mkwerx
Ifish Nate

Woa that's a lot of BIG trout. Way to go!
mkwerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 08:46 PM   #7
5-Cents
King Salmon

Thumbs up Re: Pink worms for trout!

Gary Glitter is on em!

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing. ~Babylonian Proverb

http://twitter.com/5CentZ
5-Cents is offline   Reply With Quote