Wall tent stove pipe - our front or through the top? - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Hunting

Old 07-28-2010, 05:38 PM   #1
biederboat
Sturgeon

Default Wall tent stove pipe - our front or through the top?

I have to hurry up and decide where to run my stove pipe through while my tent is set up before I kill the lawn. Smaller tent, 9 x12 (Hirsch Weiss what became White Stag). Tent is identical to one I had before where I ran it through the top. There's a perfect spot to go through the front, about 2' to the left edge of the front door. I'm thinking front might be better (certainly easier to sew in). I never did like the tarp set-up (cutting a hole in it). I'd have to rig up a support (through the roof is self-stabilizing). Also, I have the nesting pipe that I think starts out at 6", so I'd have to find two elbow and a straight pipe that match the first opening on the nesting section, which I'm assuming I can find (I'll call Beckel Canvas who I got it from).

Anyone have any opinions as to what they like better, top or side? In my case, side can only be out the front, which is pretty much where you want it anyway.

Thanks,
Biederboat

biederboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 05:59 AM   #2
Hog King
Chromer

Default Re: Wall tent stove pipe - our front or through the top?

Out the front...or the back. No sparks on the canvasarp and no creosote running down onto the roof.

Out the ends is the only way to go. Damn sight easier cleaning the stove pipe if you need to.
Hog King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 07:18 AM   #3
Opine
Steelhead

out back....but make sure you use a few self-tapping screws to hold the pipe together...Wind can and will move canvas and pull pipe apart...
Old 07-29-2010, 07:22 AM   #4
tt3886
Chromer

The tent on the left is my Hirsch Weiss. You can see the exit of the stove pipe.

I put the stove pipe out the back wall. Stove in the middle/back wall, with a cot on each side. 10ft piece of 1" conduit buried a couple of feet in the ground, and safety wired to the stove pipe.

I've had zero issues with this location/setup for the past 10yrs...

Hope that helps.

tt3886 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 07:28 AM   #5
MarlinMark
Ifish Nate

Put two jacks in your tent. Both of them should be just inside the door on the left...provided you have zippers on both ends. If you set your tent up and the weather changes and is blowing the "wrong way" now for where your stove is you can just move it in the tent. Easy peasy, lemon squeezy.

Mark
Old 07-29-2010, 07:31 AM   #6
MarlinMark
Ifish Nate

I have a beckel 15x21 and it works out great w/the stove on one end. The old fellers whom get cold sleep on that end and therefore get to stoke the fire, if they desire, and the rest of us sleep at the other end and don't get up to put wood in the stove.

MarlinMark

p.s. Cylinder Stove
Old 07-29-2010, 07:37 AM   #7
QSX15
Chromer

My Beckel tent has it out the side, do not believe I would order one out the top, though I have never been in a tent with it out the top. I also would get 2 holes kiddy corner from each other. I liek to tarp the top of the tent so snow can slide off and out the top would just make a big issue.

For support, I simply made a set of cross sticks out of some 5 ft pieces of conduit, wrap a wire from them around the pipe, and they fit in the tent pole bags just fine.
Old 07-29-2010, 08:41 AM   #8
biederboat
Sturgeon

Out the front it is! Thanks everyone. I'll set it up with two elbows so that it's always "straight up". These tents are too small to run one out the back (unless you just want to sleep 2 people like TT is doing) plus for the reason below.

Interesting that a lot of people have their stove pipe out the back. I can see how this is maybe "convenient" or good for the layout but I can assure you all that you'll get MUCH BETTER heat retention with it going out the front, where the door lets all the cold air in. Might seem counter-intuitive but my bro had to move his from back to front on his larger wall tent for that exact reason.

Thanks again everyone,
Biederboat
Old 07-30-2010, 10:53 AM   #9
Hunt'nFish
King Salmon

Another vote for out the front. That way, if need be, you can throw a poly tarp over it w/o issue to allow the snow to slide off while out of camp.
I know out the top is easier to setup, but the benefits of front exit out weigh that of top exit. IMO.
Hunt'nFish
Hunt'nFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 05:57 PM   #10
fish forever
Steelhead

I'll go against the grain and say out the top.

I think you get a better draft with a straight pipe out the top. A good spark arrestor and extra section of pipe keeps stuff from coming back down on the tent. I think a lot of folks that have trouble dont have a tall enough stack. The pipe that came with my stove only reached to just slightly above the peak and they should really be 2-4' above the peak. One 2-4' section of pipe fixed it in a jiffy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunt'nFish View Post
Another vote for out the front. That way, if need be, you can throw a poly tarp over it w/o issue to allow the snow to slide off while out of camp.
I know out the top is easier to setup, but the benefits of front exit out weigh that of top exit. IMO.
Hunt'nFish
fish forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 09:51 PM   #11
biederboat
Sturgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish forever View Post
I'll go against the grain and say out the top.

I think you get a better draft with a straight pipe out the top. A good spark arrestor and extra section of pipe keeps stuff from coming back down on the tent. I think a lot of folks that have trouble dont have a tall enough stack. The pipe that came with my stove only reached to just slightly above the peak and they should really be 2-4' above the peak. One 2-4' section of pipe fixed it in a jiffy.
I agree with the height issue and spark arrestor (which can be used to compensate for wind direction). But as long as you have anywhere close to an upward angle, you should be fine. We have a finely-turned condensing furnace in our house and it only needed like 1/4" per foot rise over a distance of about 16' of horizontal run and it vents just fine. The other tent we use has ONLY an inclined stove pipe (probably 45 degrees) and it vents fine.

Biederboat
Old 07-30-2010, 10:14 PM   #12
Hunt'nFish
King Salmon

As long as the pipe is straight up/down and doesn't point into the wind it will draft just fine.
It's when you get into angled pipes out the side that you typically see draft issues, mainly because the wind is blowing into it and pushing the smoke back into the stove. Getting a venturi effect in the wind is the key here. No venturi effect possible w/ a 45 stack pointing into the wind.

Nothing wrong w/ a 45 stack to get out and then going up straight a section or two.
Anyway, that's my experience.
Hunt'nFish