Sharks--legal? edible? - www.ifish.net
Leave no Dog Behind

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > The Salty Dogs

Old 07-15-2010, 09:02 AM   #1
Ucdmcd
Chromer

Default Sharks--legal? edible?

Are sharks legal to keep in Oregon (if so, what rules do they fall under?) Are they edible? Do all sharks need to soak to remove uric acid and trimethylamine oxide, or is that just for some sharks?

I ask because a guy I work with has eaten species from other countries and claims they are like steak and really good.

Just curious since I always just let them go. If legal/edible, I might just give it a try next time I catch one.

Ucdmcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2010, 09:40 AM   #2
Threemuch
King Salmon

Default Re: Sharks--legal? edible?

I would eat a thresher or a salmon shark, but I think these are the only two "table sharks" in our area. I would bleed them well, gut them, and get them on ice.

As far a legality, in Oregon, it is legal to keep all species of shark except great white and basking. They fall under the offshore pelagic species except leopard shark, spiny dogfish, white shark, soupfin shark, and basking shark. You can keep 25 pelagic offshore fish in aggregate, no size limit. I guess leopards, soupfin, and dogfish would come under your bottomfish limit. Interesting that a sixgill or sevengill would not. But I have never heard of one of those landed in Oregon.

People occasionally post up about eating blues or dogfish. I haven't tried either, but most of what I read and hear says they are not good.

I would encourage anyone who is not planning to fully utilize a shark for the table to release it. Killing a fish to hang it on the dock for gawkers is wrong imho.
Threemuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 09:41 AM   #3
Irish Pennant
Sturgeon

Some are and some are not both legal and edible. The blue shark is what we normally catch and in my book they are not edible. Makos, Thershers and Salmon sharks are edible and legal but I've yet to put one in my boat. I think we have 6 gill sharks but I'm not positive on what waters they are legal in so I would let it go if caught on my boat. I did see a Great White pulled out of the water at Depoe Bay. I don't think it got eaten though and it was illegal.

I have eaten shark many times and it's good eating. The ones I ate didn't need any special handling to make it a good table fare.
Old 07-15-2010, 10:11 AM   #4
Ucdmcd
Chromer

Good information. Thank you. Maybe I should start with packaged shark to make sure it's something I like.

I agree on the utilization thing. That applies to everything I catch or hunt. I don't want to take anything if it's illegal or won't get eaten.

Thanks again for the information.
Ucdmcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 10:17 AM   #5
Chrome Bumper
King Salmon

Get yourself a small blue. Bleed and ice ASAP and decide for yourself. That's what we did in '72. We decided they are not edible. Thresher is very good as I have had it in resatraunts, but I haven't kept one yet. Threshers are all teeth and tail with a nice steak in between.
Old 07-15-2010, 10:21 AM   #6
Threemuch
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrome Bumper View Post
Threshers are all teeth and tail with a nice steak in between.
It can be a pretty big steak.

Old 07-15-2010, 12:57 PM   #7
Bill Monroe
King Salmon

Shark urea is carried in the blood and expelled through the skin, so it's best to bleed it immediately, thoroughly, even before bonking or killing....if you're going to eat it...Then yes, also get it on ice quickly.

"Yet it isn't the gold that I'm wanting
So much as just finding the gold."
Robert Service

Bill Monroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 01:04 PM   #8
Sgt.Slaughter
Sturgeon

a buddy of mine got a big 'ol sand shark in Wilipa couple years ago and gave me a nice steak - i fried half of it and wet brined/smoked the other - very similar to sturgeon but has a gaminess to it - i liked the smoked the best...good stuff - i've been real interested in a shark trip

Sarge
Old 07-15-2010, 01:17 PM   #9
Keta
King Salmon

Oregon has 3 game sharks (Mako, Thresher and Salmon) and all are good eating. Try to release the large females if you are meat fishing.
Old 07-15-2010, 03:13 PM   #10
biederboat
Sturgeon

I have a well-known and respected public source (associated with OSU) that I would rather not name who told me that it's not really a sustainable fishery. So even though I enjoy fishing, catch a blue on occlusion, have tried them (tasted good but a bit delicate), I have changed to releasing them after hearing this person's opinion.

The person that told me was not against fishing (goes ocean fishing regularly), just told me that the whole shark fishing thing is not sustainable. I suspect that the only reason it's not more regulated around here is that it's not targeted.

Biederboat
biederboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 03:50 PM   #11
tank
Coho

<People occasionally post up about eating blues or dogfish.>

A long time ago my brother and I caught a mess of dogfish and decided to try it out. He was in the Navy at the time and his neighbor was married to a Philippine girl that said to soak it in her secret family sauce and then fry it. She claimed it was the best thing to eat if prepared right.

Catch.
Fillet.
Soak in secret sauce.
Fry on high heat.
Open window and doors.
Hear brothers ex-wife yelling.
Toss shark and skillet out in the back yard.
Call fire department and hasmat team not to respond, only a drill.
Hear neighbors laughing their butts off.

Of course we were young and decided to taste it anyway, we grew old in a hurry.

Nasty, nasty, nasty.

If you have ever tried the Klamath Native American sacred fish, the short nose sucker fish, mullet, then you know how foul dogfish is.
tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 04:06 PM   #12
Sea Fisher
Steelhead

We've read about some freezing/thawing/draining preparations for shark. Next time we get into the blues, well keep one and try it out. If it works, I'll let you know. I love shark! But the reputation of the blue's amonia issue made us decide to cut them off (after fighting them to the boat, of course).
Sea Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 05:30 PM   #13
Jedcraft
Tuna!

We caught a 7' salmon shark out of Bandon a couple years back and harpooned it thru the gills and brought it aboard. It bled out well and filleted it. Meat was whitish and had somewhat of a sweet flavor-good. Nearly fried a Penn 114H-man can those things make a run!
Jedcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 06:22 PM   #14
Bill Monroe
King Salmon

I believe a lot of the British fish and chips are derived from shark flesh.
(But then, they also like kidney pie)

"Yet it isn't the gold that I'm wanting
So much as just finding the gold."
Robert Service

Bill Monroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 07:50 AM   #15
DoryDrifter
Steelhead

Pretty sure the Short fin Mako, Threasher, Salmon and White are all part of the Mackeral Shark family and are all very tasty. The Blues aren't and are nasty to eat. I've tried all the tricks to make them edible and none of them worked for me.
DoryDrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 09:01 AM   #16
Threemuch
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoryDrifter View Post
Pretty sure the Short fin Mako, Threasher, Salmon and White are all part of the Mackeral Shark family and are all very tasty. The Blues aren't and are nasty to eat. I've tried all the tricks to make them edible and none of them worked for me.
I think you are right. They are all of the same order, Laminiformes (mackerel sharks), but Mako, GW and Salmon are from the family Laminidae (mackerel sharks), and threshers are from the family Aplopiidae (thresher sharks).

Blues are Requiem sharks, as are Bulls, Lemon, tigers, whitetip and others not generally known for their palatability.
Old 07-16-2010, 01:01 PM   #17
CanCanCase
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedcraft View Post
We caught a 7' salmon shark out of Bandon a couple years back and harpooned it thru the gills and brought it aboard. It bled out well and filleted it. Meat was whitish and had somewhat of a sweet flavor-good. Nearly fried a Penn 114H-man can those things make a run!
With salmon being not-so-plentiful around here, the typical Alaskan sport technique of trolling a whole or plug cut salmon (think big herring and you get the idea) might need to be modified. Anyone with an AK connection might want to consider buying some h&g or round pinks or ketas (but leave Lee alone!) and having them shipped down for the bait box.

- Case

3rd Place - 2010 OTC - Newport
2nd Place - 2010 OTC - Ilwaco
CanCanCase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 01:07 PM   #18
12pulls
King Salmon

Caught a 5ft Lemon shark one year, bled it and stuck it on ice with the other fish. Kinda stinky when cooking but my wife and her family members enjoyed it a bunch and wished I would get another one to eat. Got to bleed them right away if you are planning on eating them
12pulls is offline   Reply With Quote