Fog or Driving Lights on a duck boat ?? - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Hunting

Old 07-14-2010, 09:56 AM   #1
blast and cast
Tuna!

Default Fog or Driving Lights on a duck boat ??

I am in the process of building a light bar to mounton the front of my duck boat. I have a good in with PIAA lights and I trying to decide between the 520 series lighst in either fog or in driving. the driving has a 15 degree beam and the fog has a 95 degree beam. Both are 85 watt. They both have the amber lens that works good in poor condions. If you had to choose, would you use go with the driving lights or the fog lights?

blast and cast is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2010, 10:24 AM   #2
huntumup
Chromer

Default Re: Fog or Driving Lights on a duck boat ??

I would look at LED lights before I buy anything. Sealed so water, dust, and vibration will not affect it. Very low amp draw so you can run more lights longer and a much better warranty. Just my . Good luck and have fun. Hunt
huntumup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 10:36 AM   #3
AtItAgain
Tuna!

I have been using 55W driving lights for the last couple of years and they are almost worthless unless conditions are perfectly clear.

I plan on changing over to 130W offroad lights prior to duck season. Yes I will have to use heavier wire but I already have an high output stator so I shouldn't drain my batteries while running to the hunting spot.

As for fog vs. driving, it depends on how you want to see things. I would think that the fog lights won't shine as far but will give you more vision to the sides of the boat and the driving will shine further but not as much side vision. I personally want to use more of a driving light combined with a hand held spot light for the sides.

Those are my opinions FWIW.
AtItAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 10:48 AM   #4
Duckdog98604
Tuna!

Driving lights hands down!!!
Duckdog98604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 11:24 AM   #5
Capt. MoMo's
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtItAgain View Post
I have been using 55W driving lights for the last couple of years and they are almost worthless unless conditions are perfectly clear.

I plan on changing over to 130W offroad lights prior to duck season. Yes I will have to use heavier wire but I already have an high output stator so I shouldn't drain my batteries while running to the hunting spot.

As for fog vs. driving, it depends on how you want to see things. I would think that the fog lights won't shine as far but will give you more vision to the sides of the boat and the driving will shine further but not as much side vision. I personally want to use more of a driving light combined with a hand held spot light for the sides.

Those are my opinions FWIW.
I have the same thing and you can only see right in front of the boat about 10 ft. They may look cool but in my opinion they are a waste of money. When my boat is sitting in the driveway they work great, but on the water with the reflextion they don't help at all....
Old 07-14-2010, 12:02 PM   #6
fishhead69
Tuna!

2-55 or 100 watt amber fog lights with wide beam mounted on the front of the boat and a hand held 1M watt spot light. that all my pop and I ever used.
Old 07-14-2010, 05:50 PM   #7
Sunnygx
Ifish Nate

My vote would be for no lights except for what's required by law so that you will bee seen. Get your self a nice spotlight that you can shine around and turns on and off quick. Use the spotlight intermittently to spot things but use your night vision to navigate. You can see fine on a clear day with your night vision. And on a nasty foggy day your lights will actually do more harm than good. A accurate gps could be a good tool also plan your routes in the day and let the gps help guide you when it's too foggy to see. Witch seems to be most the time.
Sunnygx is offline   Reply With Quote