Remington 740 woodsmaster help please. - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Hunting

Old 07-07-2010, 03:55 PM   #1
LeechLaker
Tuna!

Default Remington 740 woodsmaster help please.

Hello

First off thanks for all of the good information I have received here on the hunting side. You all helped me out a lot with some .243 information and advice for my dad.

Now for me. I fell into magnum craze a while back and have been shooting a 300 WM. From my hunting experiences I have no reason to shoot this gun. It only hurts more with age. I have an old Remington 30-06, 740 woodsmaster, that I am going to use for deer from here on out. I know a guy could get a better gun but I got this gun from my grandpa a long time ago and want to use it.

I am not into reloading yet and probably will never have the time to do it. So my question is what would be the best over the counter ammo to shoot? And what would be the best size bullet to shoot for deer?

I have a friend that uses some kind of supped up extra fast kind with a 200gr bullet. I was thinking something between 160 and 180gr would be good.

I have been told that these guns will jam so if anyone has any experience with the Remington woodsmaster 740, I would like to here it, both good and bad.

Thanks for the help

LL

Old 07-07-2010, 04:20 PM   #2
westcoastsrt4
Tuna!

Default Re: Remington 740 woodsmaster help please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeechLaker View Post
Hello

First off thanks for all of the good information I have received here on the hunting side. You all helped me out a lot with some .243 information and advice for my dad.

Now for me. I fell into magnum craze a while back and have been shooting a 300 WM. From my hunting experiences I have no reason to shoot this gun. It only hurts more with age. I have an old Remington 30-06, 740 woodsmaster, that I am going to use for deer from here on out. I know a guy could get a better gun but I got this gun from my grandpa a long time ago and want to use it.

I am not into reloading yet and probably will never have the time to do it. So my question is what would be the best over the counter ammo to shoot? And what would be the best size bullet to shoot for deer?

I have a friend that uses some kind of supped up extra fast kind with a 200gr bullet. I was thinking something between 160 and 180gr would be good.

I have been told that these guns will jam so if anyone has any experience with the Remington woodsmaster 740, I would like to here it, both good and bad.

Thanks for the help

LL
i have a 742 30.06, ive put 5 or 6 boxes through it, never had it jam. but i have also heard that they are prone to it. i'm pretty diligent on cleaning.

my dad also has a 742 but in 6mm. bought it new, never had a jam in it.
westcoastsrt4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 04:43 PM   #3
7mil Bill
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastsrt4 View Post
i have a 742 30.06, ive put 5 or 6 boxes through it, never had it jam. but i have also heard that they are prone to it. i'm pretty diligent on cleaning.

my dad also has a 742 but in 6mm. bought it new, never had a jam in it.
I worked in gun shop for many years and have seen alot of these customer had a problem with. Keep it clean you won"t have a problem.
7mil Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 04:51 PM   #4
DirectDrive
Sturgeon

My dad had a 1958 740 Woodsmaster and it was always very reliable and never jammed.
He shot 180 gr Remington Core-Lokt ammo in the Vermont whitetail woods.

I would probably lean toward 150 gr ammo because of the better down range performance and effectiveness on deer. Elk, I'd go 180 gr.
DirectDrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 06:26 PM   #5
GameChaserFid
Ifish Nate

165 gr is what I use. I would buy a box of each 165's and 180's and see what your rifle shoots the best at the range. Mine shot core lokts pretty good I just didn't like the bullet exloding and fragmenting all over the place. I now shoot 165 gr nosler custom ammo in the accubond. It's a little pricey for my liking but my rifle shoots it well. I may one day try and go the reloading route.

Good luck.
GameChaserFid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 08:16 PM   #6
DogZilla15
King Salmon

Make sure the rifles chamber is clean and also the ammo. Don't carry loaded clips in your pocket or leave them lying around to collect dirt and crap.

The only thing I've found to be a problem with the Remington auto's and pump's is accuracy. Some of them are really quite bad.
DogZilla15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 10:10 PM   #7
Critter Getter
Chromer

I've got a 742 that I've used for years. Taken quite a few animals with it. I have had it jam a time or 2 . Probably didn't get it cleaned good enough those times. It does not shoot a very good group probably 3'' at 100 yds. not as accurate as my son's bolt actions. They always kid me about my sprayomatic . but it has taken it's share of game over the years.
Critter Getter is offline   Reply With Quote