scrap lead price - www.ifish.net
Leave no Dog Behind

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > The Salty Dogs

Old 07-02-2010, 07:07 PM   #1
Fish N Dreams
Steelhead

Default scrap lead price

about how much is scrap lead going for right now? I've looked online and can't seem to find it. I was hoping someone knew off hand...

Fish N Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2010, 07:09 PM   #2
Fish N Dreams
Steelhead

Default Re: scrap lead price

I need the selling price...
Fish N Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 07:15 PM   #3
JerryM
Ifish Nate

.70-.80 Cents per pound last I bought.
Old 07-03-2010, 02:25 AM   #4
LQQKASTAR
Ifish Nate

Where can I get some lead at 80 cents A pound?..ill buy

Team "Just keep fishing" 1st Place,Ilwaco 2010
Oregon Tuna Classic participant,2005,2006,2007,2008,2009.WTC,2009,
LQQKASTAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 06:58 AM   #5
Net fun
Chromer

Anyone have some cannon ball molds a guy could borrow (varying sizes 2 - 40 oz)? PM me.
Net fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 08:08 AM   #6
NWaddict
Chromer

bought some at a scrap yard over in NE portland for 50 cents/lb a couple months ago.
NWaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 08:18 AM   #7
Marty
Chromer

Cherry City Metals in Salem is at $.75 to .80 a pound and they had 4 or 5k pounds available.
Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 08:46 AM   #8
demon
Steelhead

what kind of lead ? hard's at .45cents a pound
demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 11:01 AM   #9
JerryM
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by LQQKASTAR View Post
Where can I get some lead at 80 cents A pound?..ill buy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty View Post
Cherry City Metals in Salem is at $.75 to .80 a pound and they had 4 or 5k pounds available.
As Marty says. That's where I got mine. Bought 118#. All soft and pretty clean. Heck some was already poured into halibut sinkers for me.
Old 07-03-2010, 11:03 AM   #10
Dennis
Steelhead

Need lead? Simply dismantle a couple old car batteries. Easily cleaned with simple tap water. Flush out the battery and take acid if there is any to the waste station. Cut top off battery and remove lead core flush clean and melt. Where protective glasses of course. Been doing it for years for various lead needs. Cheapest lead going $5 to $10 dollars buys a 40 to 50lb or bigger car battery.
Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 11:52 AM   #11
shorthair
Sturgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
Need lead? Simply dismantle a couple old car batteries. Easily cleaned with simple tap water. Flush out the battery and take acid if there is any to the waste station. Cut top off battery and remove lead core flush clean and melt. Where protective glasses of course. Been doing it for years for various lead needs. Cheapest lead going $5 to $10 dollars buys a 40 to 50lb or bigger car battery.

Done this many times so I'll add melt outdoors with a breeze at your back & let the plates dry completely before melting unless you enjoy wearing molten lead .
Old 07-03-2010, 04:45 PM   #12
Fishing Dear
Tuna!

You can call several metal recyclers in your area and they will all have a little bit different price for soft lead and hard lead, I myself like a mix of both for a good pour.

A place in Clackamas has a good price but you have to call daily to see if they have it because guys who make a lot of weights will wipe them out...
But check dex or something for metal recyclers and call for price, they will be different from each other.

FD
Old 07-05-2010, 12:00 PM   #13
Gooey
Chromer

Scrap lead has come down quite a bit recently. My last buy was at $0.65 from $0.75 a week earlier. I was buying clean soft lead.

I would doubt anywhere would be seller clean lead at $0.50. Keep in mind you can lose up to 40% of your weight melting down wheel weights so I think that would be right for wheel weights.

PS - I would not mess around with batteries. elemental lead is hard for the body to absorb...organic lead, lead salts, and other lead compounds are far more easily absorb. Lead salts apperently dissolve in sweat and can be absorbed through the skin. Not really worth it in my opinion.

And just to set the stage, I have cast over 1000lbs this year (backyard busienss I have run for 7 years) so I am always looking for cheap lead and in terms of the second to last paragraph, my dad has a masters in organic chem so I'll take his word for it...he knows better than I
Gooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 08:34 AM   #14
ccw
King Salmon

Some friends of mine have a cabin we visit. His neighbors have decorated their place with a few blue glass wine bottle empties. I told them about the Mississippi Voodoo witch belief of blue glass keeping away the evil spirits and that I'd give them a really big, unusual, tall triangular blue glass bottle for their hoodoo collection. He found out I cast lead fishing weights. Last weekend I brought the bottle. He'd left me 300 lbs. of lead. Good trade? I think so!

It is in big sheets about 3/8" thick. Some is braided copper wire wrapped in a thick lead coating in long ropes also about 3/8" diameter.

The "wire" I can cut with tin snips and melt away, or possibly just drill a hole in one end of for sinkers, cut to various lengths.

What about the sheets? How to reduce it to fit into my pipe-end pot? I was thinking my sawzall with a wrecking blade would work (regular hacksaw blad?). Cut over newspaper to catch the "dust" and particles also for remelt? C.W.

(from Ulysses - Tennyson, 1833)
ccw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 08:59 AM   #15
fishonjon
Tuna!

You know you dont even half to burn. I know a guy in salem who has over 100 kinds of sinkers/ jigs. he will trade raw for finished sinkers. If you get it cheap or free thats the way to go. scale it dump it fill you'r bucket. No lead poison. he has thousands of pounds finished.
Old 08-09-2010, 09:21 AM   #16
Abalone
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish N Dreams View Post
about how much is scrap lead going for right now? I've looked online and can't seem to find it. I was hoping someone knew off hand...

Ask your dentist. Some dentists save the lead foil that comes with Xray film. My old denist used to give it to me....
Old 08-09-2010, 06:58 PM   #17
Tom Kim
Coho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish N Dreams View Post
Go to your nearest tire center like les schwab or discount tires. they will either give them to you for free or its very cheap. I bought 80lb for $20. Only draw back is you will get 10 to 20% in steal weights.

tom
Tom Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 10:04 PM   #18
Chass
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Kim View Post
Go to your nearest tire center like les schwab or discount tires. they will either give them to you for free or its very cheap. I bought 80lb for $20. Only draw back is you will get 10 to 20% in steal weights.

tom
Highly unlikely that you will find a tire place that will still sell or give it away. The EPA is outlawing lead tire weights the tire places are holding on to them now. At least my local ones are. They laughed when I asked if I could buy the old weights.

To the OP, I use my torch with a rosebud on it. I melt the plates or chunks into the pot while holding onto it with a large pair of pliers.

Chass
ct