Electronics - www.ifish.net
Leave no Dog Behind

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > The Salty Dogs

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2010, 02:28 PM   #1
Anadramous Junkie
Chromer
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Redmond, OR
Posts: 548
Default Electronics

As mentioned in another thread I have had all of my electronics stolen out of my boat. Not sure what I will end up with for money once the claim is processed, but I am anticipating spending around $3k on the new stuff. I have just barely started researching, but one product that has caught my eye is the Raymarine C90W system pack. Do any of you have experience with the C90W & DSM30? Good, Bad,???? If I stuck with Garmin I would not have to route another Transducer, but that is not a make or break variable. OBTW my current transducer is a P66. What other products should I be considering in this price range for a Plotter/Sonar/VHF??

Thanks,

AJ

Anadramous Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 06-17-2010, 02:33 PM   #2
Herring Problem
Ifish Nate
 
Herring Problem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Redmond Oregon
Posts: 2,842
Default Re: Electronics

I just came back from Kansas Bass Pro and Cabel's stores. I was looking at the Raymarine complete systen, this picture on the screen was great. Everything just connected smoothly. The demo almost had e sucked in, but the wife was with me and I had to take cover.

Aj Raymarine would not be a bad choice from what I have seen and read.
Dennis
__________________

Team( WE-Fish)
Herring Problem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 04:41 PM   #3
hot wire
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Newport/Depoe/Tillamook/Salem/Eugene
Posts: 1,639
Default Re: Electronics

Owned it and install them. Ask away....

The built in GPS antenna in the C90W is outstanding.
I would get the Plat+ chip for the software.
The DSM30 is a 600w xducer controller. So, if your just doing a transome mount, you'll be fine. If you go thru-hull or In-hull, I would go with a DSM300 and do a 1000w system.
Radar's are phenominal. There are two Radar's. Digital and HD Digital. Digital is awesome--no noise on screen. HD Digital is off-the-hook! True color and Bird mode.. Software update due in a few weeks will allow a "Bird Mode". These Radar's rival commercial units in features and clarity.

The new Wide sereis will also allow you to add another CWide. The units will share the SINGLE Navionics Planum+ chip, interchange waypoints seamlessly and compltely share data ONE ONE CABLE!

pm me if you have specific questions. My boat has been outfitted with all the Latest Raymarine gear. If you want a look-see let me know.

Some of the install is rough...the boat is still not quite perfect yet.

TJ

Very nice systems.

Did you know there is a $1000 rebate on the C140W?
__________________
Coastal Marine Electronics, Newport OR.

http://www.oregoncme.com

Last edited by hot wire; 07-07-2012 at 03:41 PM.
hot wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 07:22 AM   #4
Anadramous Junkie
Chromer
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Redmond, OR
Posts: 548
Default Re: Electronics

Quote:
Originally Posted by hot wire View Post
Owned it and install them. Ask away....

The built in GPS antenna in the C90W is outstanding.
I would get the Plat+ chip for the software.
The DSM30 is a 600w xducer controller. So, if your just doing a transome mount, you'll be fine. If you go thru-hull or In-hull, I would go with a DSM300 and do a 1000w system.
Radar's are phenominal. There are two Radar's. Digital and HD Digital. Digital is awesome--no noise on screen. HD Digital is off-the-hook! True color and Bird mode.. Software update due in a few weeks will allow a "Bird Mode". These Radar's rival commercial units in features and clarity.

The new Wide sereis will also allow you to add another CWide. The units will share the SINGLE Navionics Planum+ chip, interchange waypoints seamlessly and compltely share data ONE ONE CABLE!

pm me if you have specific questions. My boat has been outfitted with all the Latest Raymarine gear. If you want a look-see let me know.

Some of the install is rough...the boat is still not quite perfect yet.

TJ

Very nice systems.

Did you know there is a $1000 rebate on the C140W?

Nice looking setup! What is the Plat+ chip?? I will just have a transom mount transducer. I inquired with Marty @ Rogers Marine and he said that unless I went with a 2k rated transducer I won't be able to see bottom at Tuna town anyway. That didn't sound very practical for a trailerable boat! Is that a C120 on your boat? Thanks for the input.
AJ
Anadramous Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 08:59 PM   #5
hot wire
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Newport/Depoe/Tillamook/Salem/Eugene
Posts: 1,639
Default Re: Electronics

I can't agree with a mandatory need for a 2KW unit. 1KW would be fine. 600w would not. Been there, done that. Are you sure he didn't mean 1KW?

The unit I have is the E140 Wide. Touchscreen with HybridTouch. All options of touchscreen have a button option is heavy weather. Helpfull in rough seas..

Platnum+ chip offerers the best Navionics has to offer PLUS it has bathermagraph (sp?) data to give SERIOUS bottom contours. A Raymarine plotter can do a split screen with the fishing data (bathy data) and a Navigation chart on the other side. Nice for fishing.
__________________
Coastal Marine Electronics, Newport OR.

http://www.oregoncme.com
hot wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 10:04 AM   #6
Jersey Girl
 
Jersey Girl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 222
Default Re: Electronics

When speaking with Anadramous he said that he wanted to see the bottom out at the tuna grounds. I don't fish for tuna but to me that means going out to about W125.00. The charts show depths from 3000' to 3600' in that area. I believe that to be a stretch for even a 1kw unit. Those with experience out there may want to post some screen shots of their sounders showing the bottom at 3000' plus.

Marty B.
Rodgers Marine
Jersey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 11:03 AM   #7
hot wire
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Newport/Depoe/Tillamook/Salem/Eugene
Posts: 1,639
Default Re: Electronics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Girl View Post
When speaking with Anadramous he said that he wanted to see the bottom out at the tuna grounds. I don't fish for tuna but to me that means going out to about W125.00. The charts show depths from 3000' to 3600' in that area. I believe that to be a stretch for even a 1kw unit. Those with experience out there may want to post some screen shots of their sounders showing the bottom at 3000' plus.

Marty B.
Rodgers Marine
At 3000' I would agree. Most of the locals here are in maybe 2000' and at that depth a 1kw would do. But 3,500' why would you want to see bottom for tuna? I thought most tuna/bait balls were at like 150'.... I would do a 1kw unit and set the depth at say the first 200' and leave it at that.. Thanks Marty for clarifying your thoughts.
__________________
Coastal Marine Electronics, Newport OR.

http://www.oregoncme.com
hot wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 07:01 AM   #8
diamond back
Steelhead
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 329
Default Re: Electronics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anadramous Junkie View Post
As mentioned in another thread I have had all of my electronics stolen out of my boat. Not sure what I will end up with for money once the claim is processed, but I am anticipating spending around $3k on the new stuff. I have just barely started researching, but one product that has caught my eye is the Raymarine C90W system pack. Do any of you have experience with the C90W & DSM30? Good, Bad,???? If I stuck with Garmin I would not have to route another Transducer, but that is not a make or break variable. OBTW my current transducer is a P66. What other products should I be considering in this price range for a Plotter/Sonar/VHF??

Thanks,

AJ
I just bought a brand new boat 290 Dedfiance and had a C90w with a thru-hull transducer and DSM30 installed along with HD Digital Radar. I had a smaller C-70 on a previous boat and wanted to upgrade in size. I have complete confidence in the Raymarine Product and have been very happy with the current unit- though I have only used it four times this season (picked up the boat early May). One thing I would encourage you to do is to get in contact with TJ (Hot Wire and have him help install and then also take you through the unit. It will be worth your time, I purchased an hour of his time a couple of weeks ago to help me set up my C-90 unit and it was well worth it.

Gus
diamond back is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Cast to



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 05:47 PM.

Terms of Service
Page generated in 0.17606 seconds with 29 queries