How long do Razor Clams stay alive?? - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Community

Old 06-06-2010, 11:51 AM   #1
yarndog2003
Tuna!

Default How long do Razor Clams stay alive??

I went clamming yesterday and when I got home I was too lazy to clean them. Every clam that I pick up today seems to be still moving around. How long do the stay alive after taking them out of the ocean???

Usually when bringing the calms home I put them in a bowl with ice and I think that the fresh water kills them. This time I just brought them home still in the bag and then put in a bowl and into the refrig.

yarndog2003 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2010, 12:53 PM   #2
eyeFISH
King Salmon

Default Re: How long do Razor Clams stay alive??

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarndog2003 View Post
This time I just brought them home still in the bag and then put in a bowl and into the refrig.
You did the right thing.

They can still exchange oxygen thru the air, and their metabolism is slowed by the fridge so they're not requiring as much oxygen.

They will stay alive for 2 days, pretty sluggish by the third day.

When I clean 'em the day of, the cut up parts are still moving the next day... muscle is still alive!

Long Live the Kings!
eyeFISH.... The Keen Eye MD
eyeFISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 04:29 PM   #3
twolabz
Steelhead

I've kept them alive till the next day just by keeping them outside in the cold air.
twolabz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 05:02 PM   #4
SandySteel
Ifish Nate

If you need to keep them alive the best method is in a container like a bucket or a bowl that is covered with a wet dish cloth in the fridge. A more natural method of keeping the moisture in is using kelp of some kind over the top. The key is a cold, moist environment. Don't keep them submerged. For bay clams I leave them outside in a bucket of sea water over night to let them purge themselves of sand but then pour off the water and store them in the fridge like I mention above.
Old 06-06-2010, 08:55 PM   #5
cmb1998
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarndog2003 View Post
I went clamming yesterday and when I got home I was too lazy to clean them. Every clam that I pick up today seems to be still moving around. How long do the stay alive after taking them out of the ocean???

Usually when bringing the calms home I put them in a bowl with ice and I think that the fresh water kills them. This time I just brought them home still in the bag and then put in a bowl and into the refrig.
I hit a late tide a few years ago and got back to town at like 1 or 2am the next morning. I was going to clean the clams after work the next day, but I got a 8am call that the family dog of 14 years had passed and ended up driving to Seattle. Got back a few days later, and the clams were still alive in the cooler. The were in the cooler in the fridge for nearly 5 days before I cleaned them. So I can vouch for at least 5 days. Tasted fine.

Chris
cmb1998 is offline   Reply With Quote