Devils Lake - Lincoln City? - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Bass and Panfish!

Old 05-24-2010, 12:08 PM   #1
B.K.
Coho

Default Devils Lake - Lincoln City?

This weekend we may go stay at my parent's home in Depoe Bay. I thought about taking the boat out to Devils Lake for Bass. I haven't been there in many years but remember it being a good bass/panfish lake when I was a kid.

Does anyone know the status of the lake? I know people still chase trout there but I haven't heard much about it as a bass lake in awhile.

Is it still a good place to target Largemounth, or did the whole grass carp planting somehow impact the bass?

Thanks!
bk

Last edited by B.K.; 05-25-2010 at 09:47 AM.
B.K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2010, 12:19 PM   #2
built2fish
Steelhead

Default Re: Devils Lake - Lincoln City?

Unfortunately yes, the grass carp thing affected, no.... virtually destroyed the bass fishing in that lake. Once again, the water sports enthusiasts doing their part to further the environment and free it from its horrible, horrible natural order. I mean, finally, a group of people that realize the terrible damage that aquatic vegetation will do to a day of fun on the water.

I have fished it only once. The water was extremely clear and completely void of any sort of structure except for docks and very sparse lilies. MXRacer105 and I both had our boats on the water for 6 hours and both caught nothing. I believe that was in the late summer - early fall though.

I heard that place offered some of the best bass fishing in the state until the grass carp got a hold of it. Really a sad story.
Old 05-24-2010, 03:13 PM   #3
millerj94
Coho

Fished there the weekend of May 8th, not a single bass bite. Did catch a couple nice trout though.
millerj94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 03:36 PM   #4
john montana
Steelhead

I would happily go there and target the grass carp if I didn't think they would take my gear. Grass carp on a fly rod are a real challenge. I have caught two but they are spooky buggers. Wish they would let you fish for them.
Old 05-24-2010, 05:31 PM   #5
Finneus Polebender
Cutthroat

Too bad drove around that lake could almost tell it had some old mystique to it . Least I know now cause it looked good wondered why nobody was on such good water on such a nice day.
Old 05-25-2010, 06:51 AM   #6
B.K.
Coho

I'm sorry to hear things aren't what they used to be.

Well I'll be right near there anyway so I may go give it a whirl for awhile. If nothing else I can take the kids for a boat ride.

Thanks for the feedback.
B.K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 02:53 PM   #7
clarkman23
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by built2fish View Post
I heard that place offered some of the best bass fishing in the state until the grass carp got a hold of it.
yep, they introduced invasive fish to eat invasive plants that provided cover for other invasive fish...what's wrong with that whole picture? that said, i do like catching a bass here or there...
clarkman23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 08:55 AM   #8
built2fish
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkman23 View Post
yep, they introduced invasive fish to eat invasive plants that provided cover for other invasive fish...what's wrong with that whole picture? that said, i do like catching a bass here or there...
The whole invasive fish issue to me is very insignificant this day in age. What does a person categorize as in invasive? Does the length of time that a species inhabits an area count for anything? Are smallmouth bass in the Columbia still considered "invasive"? Are hatchery salmon considered "invasive" because they are not technically native? Are the rainbow trout in Hagg lake invasive? Are white Americans invasive? (I am sure they are by most peoples definition of "invasive", though they would never admit it.) People are always using "invasive" fish species as scape goats for the real problem... people. Get's old quickly.

Bottom line is that people can continue to modify and change what has become the natural process, but more often then not, it causes more problems. The natural environment adapts very well to almost everything that is thrown it's way, except for people's carelessness and/or greed.

It should be about learning to work with what you have to make it better instead of trying to get something new everytime it is not exactly how you want it.

Last edited by built2fish; 05-28-2010 at 10:21 AM.
built2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 09:01 PM   #9
clarkman23
Chromer

settle down, I think you missed the point...

OP, sorry for the hijack.
clarkman23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 10:18 AM   #10
built2fish
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkman23 View Post
settle down, I think you missed the point...

OP, sorry for the hijack.
Got the point. Was not attacking you. Just making a statement..... expressing a point of view. Forums are good for that!

BTW. I like your quote!

Last edited by built2fish; 05-28-2010 at 10:22 AM.
built2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 10:38 AM   #11
bass4me
Fry

The Devils Lake Water Improvement District (DLWID) manager is asking ODFW for another exemption from ban on Grass Carp in public waters.

If you haven't been a bass angler for long or you aren't familiar with Devils Lake, it is a 680 acres natural lake in Lincoln City. Twenty five years ago, it was one one the favorite tournament lakes in Oregon. Lots of docks and points, shallow and weedy. JayYelas learned to fish there.

In the 1980's eurasain milfoil (an exotic aquatic vegetation spread to over 75% of the surface. Rather than treat it with herbicide or remove it with a mechanical mower, the DLWID proposed an experiment using Grass Carp to ODFW. Grass Carp eat vegetation, but are banned because experience had shown their effects could not be predicted.

DLWID promised if they the vegetation dropped below 25% of the surface area, they would remove carp until that level was achieved.

ODFW gave them an exemption. Experts suggested a dosage of 4 carp per acre. DLWID used 46 carp per acre. Surprise!!! The carp ate 100% of the vegetation. The bass fishery crashed. Then they refused to remove any carp. Water quality is trashed and the original septic tank issues are un addressed. That was in 1989. The carp are finally dying, and they want to do it again to avoid having to deal with the real issues.

Don't let them. We need to tell the ODFW Commission to enforce their policy this time.
bass4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 11:13 AM   #12
BlackBass
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by john montana View Post
I would happily go there and target the grass carp if I didn't think they would take my gear. Grass carp on a fly rod are a real challenge. I have caught two but they are spooky buggers. Wish they would let you fish for them.
These grass carp are far from spooky. You can darn near hand feed them cheetos. Fight like boots as well Common carp are much more fun to catch.

Last edited by BlackBass; 02-10-2011 at 11:16 AM.
BlackBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 02:00 PM   #13
Doug Warren
Chromer

I use to fish Devils Lake in the early 80's and it had some good fishing. We even used to hold a club tournament and fish a open up there. Lots of lily pads, ect.. If they are starting to die that is some good news. Hopefully in a few years the fishing will pick up again.
Keep us posted on whats happening up there.
Doug Warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 08:33 PM   #14
bass4me
Fry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Warren View Post
I use to fish Devils Lake in the early 80's and it had some good fishing. We even used to hold a club tournament and fish a open up there. Lots of lily pads, ect.. If they are starting to die that is some good news. Hopefully in a few years the fishing will pick up again.
Keep us posted on whats happening up there.

The carp are starting to die off, but DLWID is going to restock it with young carp unless enough folks object. The ODFW Commission will grant the exemption again if they don't hear anglers complain. Then the lake will be trashed for another 20 years. Not many anglers know about it. What can a person do to get the word out to folks?
bass4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 10:49 AM   #15
Bassinator
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bass4me View Post
The carp are starting to die off, but DLWID is going to restock it with young carp unless enough folks object. The ODFW Commission will grant the exemption again if they don't hear anglers complain. Then the lake will be trashed for another 20 years. Not many anglers know about it. What can a person do to get the word out to folks?
Ya what can we do about this?
Old 02-11-2011, 02:58 PM   #16
RB fish
Steelhead

O boy some more native fish we can not fish for !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
RB
RB fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 06:54 AM   #17
codeman
Tuna!

which native fish would that be? surly not talking about the carp or bass I hope
codeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 12:04 PM   #18
les_robot
Fry

Unhappy Re: Devils Lake - Lincoln City?

I just read some of the Devils Lake Plan on the DLWID website... Looks like they consider LMB the Great Satan of the Lake... Doesn't give much hope of them ever being introduced again.. I also fished the lake, in the early 80's in several small Bass Tourney's... It sure was a great Bass lake, back into those days..
les_robot is offline   Reply With Quote