Casting Spinners for Trout - www.ifish.net

Trout Yak!
Trout & Kokanee Fishing with Buzz Ramsey

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Trout Yak! Trout & Kokanee Fishing

Old 04-27-2010, 02:05 PM   #1
Buzz Ramsey

Default Casting Spinners for Trout

Trout are attracted to spinners due to their size, color, flash, and vibration. While the above factors play a role in attracting hungry trout, spinner vibration is credited as the key to spinner appeal. And although some companies tout theirs as the only one producing sonic vibration; in reality, all spinners generate underwater noise created by the blade spinning around the metal shaft as our spinner moves through the water.

Of course, spinners come in a variety of different blade shapes, which affect their sonic vibration, pulling resistance and retrieve speed. For example, a narrow blade shape will perform at faster retrieve speeds while producing minimum drag - meaning they can be more easily pulled through the water. Wide blade shapes generate more cranking resistance (drag), especially when pulled fast, but will maintain high action and blade vibration at the slowest of retrieve speeds.

According to the tackle buyers I interviewed (Fred Meyer, Bi-Mart and Fisherman Marine & Outdoor) the Rooster Tail is the most popular trout spinner. This lures popularity is due to its versatility. For example, the fact that its semi-narrow blade will perform when pulled both fast and slow means you can quickly cover an area when searching for concentrations of trout but then slow down your retrieve speed to more thoroughly work fish over.

Strikes are easily identified but can, at times, be subtle as trout will sometimes just stop the blade and/or forward movement of your spinner. In either case, it's important to set the hook hard when noticing any change in spinner action. Sharp hooks; so sharp the fish can't let go, are important for consistent hookups.

Spinners come in a variety of different colors, which can have a huge influence on your success. What color works best will likely depend on the amount of available light (which can vary depending on time of day or whether it's sunny or overcast), water clarity and the type of natural forage that's available. For example, if minnows are abundant there is a good chance that silver (Shad), gold (Chub), white, blue or green & silver, Rainbow Trout or Brown Trout finish will produce best, especially when worked in an erratic fashion.

When aquatic insects are the main forage, and especially when combined with clear water and bright sunlight, spinner body colors like black (Leech), brown (Salmon Fly), green (Frog), yellow (Bumble Bee), dark red, with (perhaps) a (bug0 print stamped on the body may produce best. During times when the light is low or water turbid; try a fluorescent red, orange, pink, white, yellow, chartreuse, fluorescent green or copper finish. What I do is follow these basic guidelines and let the fish tell me what color they like.

In lakes, most anglers searching for trout cast and retrieve spinners while working their way along the shoreline or from a drifting boat. What I've found is that trout are likely to be found cruising near the surface when water temperatures are cool, early in the morning, on overcast days, or evening time periods. Trout are more likely to be found near bottom (or at some level above it) during the middle of the day when the sun is bright or at times during hot summer when the surface water temperature is warm.

To determine the depth they're running, and be able to return to it, may require you to practice what's known as the (count-down) method. In preparation for learning the (count-down) technique, realize that most weighted spinners will sink at a rate of one foot per second. Here's how: cast out, and allow your spinner to fall freely to the bottom, counting one-one thousand, two-one thousand etc. until it hits bottom.

Now that you know the bottom depth based on counting you can begin your retrieve, on the next cast, just before your lure hits bottom, which may help you avoid hang ups. Using this simple procedure will allow you to search for fish at different depths and reliably return to the fish-producing level on subsequent casts.

In addition, working your lure near bottom may require you to step up to a larger/heavier spinner size. For example, small spinner sizes (up to 1/6 oz.) will likely produce best when fish are near the surface, say in the top ten feet of water; but you'll need to step up to a larger spinner size (say � to 3/8 oz.) when fish are lurking deep in the water column.

While tipping is a common practice employed among bass and walleye anglers, the trick is often overlooked by those chasing trout. With spinners, what works is to tip the hook of your spinner with a short section pinched from a scent-filled worm - like the 3-inch PowerBait Trout Worm. And while different colors can work, in clear water what often adds to success is to hang a half to one-inch section of a dark red worm from your hook, just let it hang straight back behind your spinner.

Best,
Buzz Ramsey

Buzz Ramsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 06:44 PM   #2
native steelie
Ifish Nate

Default Re: Casting Spinners for Trout

hey buzz, i've been wondering for a long time if worden's are ever concidering coming out with a line of rooster tails with french blade spinners? also i enjoyed the very informative post. it gives a little more information on what to use with certain prevailing light conditions. a couple months back i read jed davis's book on spinners for steelhead. unlike his book your post gives better insight on what to use for certain light conditions.
Old 04-27-2010, 08:10 PM   #3
Buck
Tuna!

Great post Buzz. I watched a couple of characters in a "hidden" coast range lake (honest, 10 miles of gravel and potholes) put on a clinic with rooster tails from a small boat. I wasn't fishing, but watched them for awhile and what I could gather from my observations is that each of the anglers was counting to four before beginning their retrieve. These guys were hooking a fish on every other cast! Partly the time of year and maybe something to do with the impending low pressure system that was due to move in that night, but sure was fun watching them C&R nice shiny trout!
Buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 09:46 PM   #4
Poindexter
Tuna!

Great post, Buzz. My three boys and I have a great time casting Rooster Tails for trout at Roosevelt Lake in NE Washington.

"They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it. What happens is that you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore."John Gierach
Poindexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 05:55 AM   #5
Tred73
Chromer

Thanks Buzz, I have lost the try everything lure wise over the years. I need to get back to it, but it is hard to change when it has worked over the years and still works to a degree. I like the idea of a worm because that was something I did when I was a kid with some success. Definitely going to give the Power bait worm a try this year in the cascade lakes this year.
Tred73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 07:29 AM   #6
Addicted2Koke
Chromer

My favorite spinners for trout are in this order;

1. Super Duper
2. Roostertail
3. Panther Martin

3 must haves in your tackle box if you fish for trout.
Addicted2Koke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 01:35 PM   #7
ExBassGuide
Ifish Nate

Buzz that was the widest ranging and concise discussion on trout fishing I HAVE EVER READ! You definitely know your stuff. I learned a few things too! Thank you! I would like to add to the discussion by bring up the topic of changing up speed and or giving the lure a twitch from time to time. Last week I did very well on Friday by casting out let it sink about 5 feet and start slow rolling. And after a few cranks I would pick up the pace for a short distance. The let the lure sink and go back to the slow roll. As I get nearer the boat I would go as slow as I could and still have the blade spin. That worked for several fish that day. I also speed the bait up as I get very near the boat and as I start to see the bait I pause in a attempt to get any followers to hit the bait.
Also the use of flashers to draw fish in to your bait, they work very well and I used them for many years. But now I enjoy fighting the fish without the gear between me and the fish. I would like to get your thoughts on something that I have found that works better for me. I now almost never troll spinners. I try to locate and area that is holding some fish them switch from my crank baits and then cast my spinner. I land most of the bites I get and I can control the speed action and location better than trolling. I would love to hear your thoughts. My favorite flatfish is a F4 white with black and red spots. And the second best one I have used is a white F.F. with a center yellow stripe and small black dots on each side of the yellow stripe.
Roger

Last edited by ExBassGuide; 04-28-2010 at 01:39 PM.
ExBassGuide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 03:15 PM   #8
INSAYN
Chromer

So that's how Rooster Tails are supposed to be used. I've have several colors and sizes of Rooster Tails, and have limited success.

You know, Iit's really nice that most lures on the market have very clear instructions on back on how to use them, like....

"This product is known to cause cancer in people in California".

Last edited by INSAYN; 04-28-2010 at 03:17 PM.
INSAYN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 06:49 AM   #9
OregonSteel
Tuna!

i have never seen that all black rooster tail before, but i WANT it!
OregonSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 10:30 AM   #10
dartonvpr
Chromer

I have been using roostertails for many years with great sucess for everything from trout to salmon, bluegil, crappie, small and largemouth bass. (there are a few colors I wish they would bring back however)
I have had success with certain colors in specific rivers, however, I am not 100% certain it was so much the color, but the method that it was fished. I believe that each style or color lure works best fished a specific way(what that is has to be determined), once you find that perfect action, that lure will work in just about any waterway. As an example, I have fished side by side with fishing buddies using different lures or colors and with both catching fish, if we switched rods, we would stop catching fish until we figured out how to work it properly. I also have certain colors/lures that I can use anywhere anytime and catch fish and I believe that is due to that fact that I have found the perfect action for that particular color/lure and any trout will react to it.
A couple of questions for Buzz. How hard would it be to get them to make some of the old colors again? I to have never seen an all black roostertail and would love to know where you're hiding those?
dartonvpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 07:51 PM   #11
Buck
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dartonvpr View Post
I have been using roostertails for many years with great sucess for everything from trout to salmon, bluegil, crappie, small and largemouth bass. (there are a few colors I wish they would bring back however)
I have had success with certain colors in specific rivers, however, I am not 100% certain it was so much the color, but the method that it was fished. I believe that each style or color lure works best fished a specific way(what that is has to be determined), once you find that perfect action, that lure will work in just about any waterway. As an example, I have fished side by side with fishing buddies using different lures or colors and with both catching fish, if we switched rods, we would stop catching fish until we figured out how to work it properly. I also have certain colors/lures that I can use anywhere anytime and catch fish and I believe that is due to that fact that I have found the perfect action for that particular color/lure and any trout will react to it.
A couple of questions for Buzz. How hard would it be to get them to make some of the old colors again? I to have never seen an all black roostertail and would love to know where you're hiding those?
Second that. We killed them years back at Diamond Lake on the all black rooster tails during the midge hatch.
Buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 06:19 AM   #12
hookumhi
Tuna!

Thank you , very informative
Old 05-01-2010, 07:37 AM   #13
Rocky419
Steelhead

Thanks for the very helpful info, should increase my catch rates.
Rocky419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 01:28 PM   #14
Buzz Ramsey

Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonSteel View Post
i have never seen that all black rooster tail before, but i WANT it!
Yakima Bait offers the original Worden's Rooster Tail in serval black versions, including:
BL-Black (best selling color)
BLCD - Black Coach Dog
GBL Glitter Black
MIDN-P Midnight
TBL-Tinsel Black

Suggest you check out the YB website.
Old 05-04-2010, 07:40 AM   #15
Abalone
King Salmon

Buzz,
What happened to the scent vents that used to be available at Gl joes. Did they quit making them or are they still available ?
Old 05-06-2010, 04:29 PM   #16
Buzz Ramsey

The Scent Vent spinners were a Berkley product that is no longer available. While the Scent Vent spinner did catch fish it may have sold pooly due to it not having enought casting weight.
Old 05-08-2010, 12:47 PM   #17
ready2go
Fry

thanks guys for the info...i have lots of roostertails in the tackle box but never had much luck...i seem to do alright with rapalas tho...next time out ill hav to dust of those tails and try out my new knowledge! thanx again
Old 07-01-2010, 09:15 AM   #18
30aught6
Steelhead

Panther Martin: black w/ gold blade. Any river. Any lake. Any condition.

If you can't catch fish with it, you might as well take up golf.
30aught6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 07:32 PM   #19
Finny Business
Tuna!

my absolute favorite spinner for trout was and is still a Mepps Thunderbug. i have a couple that are black and dark green, they look alot like a Rooster tail but the body is heavier and the blade is shaped like insect wings. the tail has the standard hair on it with a hint of crystal flash. dark body/ chrome wings with the insect wing detail. i have just killed them with these spinners in the deschutes and also some of the lakes over in central oregon.
Old 07-07-2010, 01:15 PM   #20
FishKiller95
Coho

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30aught6 View Post

Very true, that is my number one used spinner for trout.
FishKiller95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 09:12 PM   #21
fishslayer84
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishKiller95 View Post
Very true, that is my number one used spinner for trout.
this is so true. not only trout but i have caught more smallmouth with this lure than any jig, plug, etc.... Panther martin for the win!!!
fishslayer84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 12:37 PM   #22
Derrel
Steelhead

Default spinner fishing for trout

I am mainly a hardware fisherman for trout, and am an avid spinner builder. I think one of the reasons the smaller Panther Martin spinners work so well is that they have a slender profile; the blade spins close to the body on the PM spinners, and most fish prefer prey that has a slender profile. Easy-snackin!
The Panther Martin's sonic 'fingerprint' if you will, is quite good--the blade design is very good.

The close-to-the-shaft spinning axis of the PM spinner keeps the spinner running relatively deeper than other designs that use French, Colorado, or swing blades, like those on the Rooster Tail line. The PM's blade design works well in swift currents and on cast-sink-and retrieve type of lake fishing situations, or when trolling the spinner on an unweighted or lead-core line.

The Rooster Tail spinner design has a nice, heavy for its size cast,painted lead body, and most patterns are available with a hackle dressed hook, which a lot of people really like. Spinners don;t need to be all that flashy for trout in most situations--in fact, I often deliberately use dull-finished spinners that have very little flash. My favorite color is actually a small size 2 coffee-colored spinner with a very small 3.5mm green bead right above the hook, and basically nothing else except some scent product where legal.
Skill in presenting the spinner and in locating fish is very important. If the water is clear or the fish have "seen it all", I seldom use a bright, flashy spinner with a nickel, brass, or gold finish blade, but rather something very dull-finished and rather plain-looking.
Derrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 08:39 PM   #23
Promus
Cutthroat

From my experience, if I'm going for trout on a crick or stream in late spring/summer; I have had the best success with either the black with gold or the brown with gold roosters. Preferably, I use the black as they seem to work the best. I mainly use the gold due to the fact that in late spring/summer the water is more clear thus needing less reflection to attract the fish. A silver tends to detour the fish due to the perception of the lures size from the reflection. Anyway, in the Lewis basin tributaries the black with gold works great. In fact, I set my two boys up on them for an outing on a local crick a bit ago, and they caught probably about 100-150 combined size 10"- fish in an ten hour or so outing. I would say that's pretty good results. I was drifting worm and got about 50 or so 10"- and two 16"ers on two pound test. That's how you make small fishing interesting I tell you.
Old 07-29-2010, 01:28 PM   #24
thefishninja
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Promus View Post
From my experience, if I'm going for trout on a crick or stream in late spring/summer; I have had the best success with either the black with gold or the brown with gold roosters. Preferably, I use the black as they seem to work the best. I mainly use the gold due to the fact that in late spring/summer the water is more clear thus needing less reflection to attract the fish. A silver tends to detour the fish due to the perception of the lures size from the reflection. Anyway, in the Lewis basin tributaries the black with gold works great. In fact, I set my two boys up on them for an outing on a local crick a bit ago, and they caught probably about 100-150 combined size 10"- fish in an ten hour or so outing. I would say that's pretty good results. I was drifting worm and got about 50 or so 10"- and two 16"ers on two pound test. That's how you make small fishing interesting I tell you.
This is an awesome post. In fact, all because of visiting ifish net, ever since seeing the rooster tail posts, the fish ninja decided to pick up a variety pack of 1/4, size 2, rooster tails at about 2am at wallmart. (wolly world) because all this rooster tail business on ifish net is quite thrilling.

Well, while fishing the spooking trout over at Klineline where it is not always easy to bring home a trout do to the fishing pressures, well, man let the fish ninja tell you guys rooster tails are awwwwweeeesome!

Started out just catching two fish on bait when first started fishing at the beginning of the month. Since that time have caught one two on a flasher and six on rooster tails. No. Make that eight! Have two roasting in the oven right now. Caught one on a pink rooster tail and the other later in the day on a yellow green rooster tail. 1/4, size 2.

If you have bait, like shrimp, then it flies off the hook a lot. Worms get pretty chewed up and man the cost of bait adds up you know? But the rooster tails, man, they are durable, they catch fish and they save you bucket loads of money too. Just loving those rooster tails.

For right now, its the fish ninja favorite thing. Oh yeah, the thing with the flashers, at least mine, is that they do not cast out as far as the rooster tails. There is a lot of pressure on the fish at Klineline, its fished alot out there and the fish are pretty spooky. Lots of people go home with no fish. All the time. If they are going home with their limit in trout, more times than not they have a ten and half foot pole to really launch out to the deep waters when it is hot in the day and the trout are lurking in the deep cold spots.

Man, just love the rooster tail. My favorite of all lures so far. The black ones probably work because of the shadowy contrast that the fish see when they look upwards to the water surface. But it was pretty overcast today and used the pink one and the yellow green one to bring em home. HEEEEYAH BOY! XD!!!

If it were not for the invention of the rooster tails, then the fish ninja would have only caught two fish all month. Owe it all to you rooster tail. Oh just love em. Love em. Love em. Glad to find out about this lure on ifish. Glad lots of others are talking about the rooster tails. The flashers just do not seem to get out there or go deep as the same size rooster tail, but perhaps my flasher selection is not the best.

Go get those fish you guys! Roooster Taaaaiiils YEEEeeeeeah!
thefishninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 02:59 PM   #25
Green Eyes
Tuna!

Quote:

And yet one more for the black w/gold blade and same but with a bit of red on the hook with the black hair or whatever it is. I have one tackle box that has only that color either plane or with the hook covered. Searuns seem to like the bit of red better.
I also make my own salmon, steelhead spinners useing the cross shaft blade design and worm weights.
Green Eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 04:20 PM   #26
SalmonBuster
Chromer

Hi, Would tipping my spinner with a white Berkley Gulp maggot be a effective way to catch trout? Thanks in advance, Dale (SalmonBuster)
Old 09-01-2010, 12:04 PM   #27
SalmonBuster
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalmonBuster View Post
Hi, Would tipping my spinner with a white Berkley Gulp maggot be a effective way to catch trout? Thanks in advance, Dale (SalmonBuster)
Well, Looking at Buzz's second picture of spinner's I'm guessing the answer to my question is yes.
Old 01-31-2011, 09:02 AM   #28
Buzz Ramsey

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalmonBuster View Post
Well, Looking at Buzz's second picture of spinner's I'm guessing the answer to my question is yes.
Yakima Bait is now offering an alternative Rooster Tail in all sizes and colors that features a painted Tin (rather than painted lead) body. Being made of Tin, the lure body produces more sonic action/sound when pulled through the water.
Old 02-02-2011, 12:50 PM   #29
Dragfreedrift
Tuna!

Mr. Ramsey:

I consistently have trouble getting my roostertails to spin. Has anyone @ YB given thought to a new clevis size or extra bead to help them spin better?
Old 03-07-2011, 12:51 PM   #30
Salmon Mike has a birthday Salmon Mike
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz Ramsey View Post
Yakima Bait is now offering an alternative Rooster Tail in all sizes and colors that features a painted Tin (rather than painted lead) body. Being made of Tin, the lure body produces more sonic action/sound when pulled through the water.
Buzz; can you give me any info on galvanic corrosion and how trout react to the electrical current in spinners as opposed to how salmon react to it? And does the vibration of the spinner play a bigger role than galvanic corrosion?
Salmon Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 11:47 AM   #31
Merz
Cutthroat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragfreedrift View Post
Mr. Ramsey:

I consistently have trouble getting my roostertails to spin. Has anyone @ YB given thought to a new clevis size or extra bead to help them spin better?
Ive used rooster tails my whole life and have always had problems with them not spinning. Sometimes they get bent and you have to stop and straighten them out. Sometimes brand new ones wont spin very well. giving them a little jerk before you start reeling will usually get them started. Its a pain when you are trolling and after 20 minutes you realize your spinner wasnt spinning the whole time.

I recently started using Panther martins and I like them a lot better. I almost never have problems with them not spinning. When you are reeling it in, you can feel it dragging more than a rooster tail, so you know for sure its spinning. Ive caught just as many or more fish also on the panthers. The black with the gold blade is also my favorite.

I almost feel bad switching lures after all these years. Like I'm cheating on my girlfriend or something. I still keep a few rooster tails around.
Merz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 11:28 AM   #32
McSteelie
Tuna!

Quote:
Mr. Ramsey:

My favorite way to fish a roostertail is to tie it on my ultralight rod with 4 lb test. No swivel, no weight. (black is my all time go to color).

I cast out and as soon as it hits the water I start to retrieve, fishing the sub-surface water. To get it to spin I either use my rod or reel fast at first. Then slow down you so you can feel the vibrations or watch the tip of your pole pulsate when you are at the right speed. When the spinner is with in sight you can see how it spins at different speeds and make adjustments on your next retrieve.
McSteelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 10:38 PM   #33
dhenkelmann
Steelhead

Panther Martin, Panther Martin, Panther Martin.
Guess what the pink salmon in my picture was hooked on...give up? A Panther Martin.

Last edited by dhenkelmann; 04-13-2011 at 10:40 PM. Reason: addition
dhenkelmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 12:54 AM   #34
Buoy8
Chromer

Quote:

yep, and you can work a PM a LOT slower than a RT and still have the blade spin. Much better in my opinion.
Old 04-14-2011, 02:43 PM   #35
dhenkelmann
Steelhead

ExBassGuide,

That largemouth makes me homesick. That is a beautiful fish.
dhenkelmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 06:37 PM   #36
taprice
Coho

panther martian all the time. They rock when nothing else works the go to lure
taprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 07:22 PM   #37
scraping along
Coho

Panther Martins here also.Best all around lure in my book.I've caught trout,crappie,smallies,and even landed a few catfish on them this summer at owyhee. Black with yellow spots and gold blade or black/red with gold blade work best for me.
scraping along is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 09:09 AM   #38
gandalf
Coho

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExBassGuide View Post
Buzz that was the widest ranging and concise discussion on trout fishing I HAVE EVER READ! You definitely know your stuff. I learned a few things too! Thank you! I would like to add to the discussion by bring up the topic of changing up speed and or giving the lure a twitch from time to time. Last week I did very well on Friday by casting out let it sink about 5 feet and start slow rolling. And after a few cranks I would pick up the pace for a short distance. The let the lure sink and go back to the slow roll. As I get nearer the boat I would go as slow as I could and still have the blade spin. That worked for several fish that day. I also speed the bait up as I get very near the boat and as I start to see the bait I pause in a attempt to get any followers to hit the bait.
Also the use of flashers to draw fish in to your bait, they work very well and I used them for many years. But now I enjoy fighting the fish without the gear between me and the fish. I would like to get your thoughts on something that I have found that works better for me. I now almost never troll spinners. I try to locate and area that is holding some fish them switch from my crank baits and then cast my spinner. I land most of the bites I get and I can control the speed action and location better than trolling. I would love to hear your thoughts. My favorite flatfish is a F4 white with black and red spots. And the second best one I have used is a white F.F. with a center yellow stripe and small black dots on each side of the yellow stripe.
Roger
Great fish
gandalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 10:39 PM   #39
Romanian Redneck
Steelhead

I'm planning on trying trolling a black PM with a gold blade behind my kayak this weekend. Love that spinner. Anyone ever use a diver and a PM or RT when trolling to help keep the spinner at lower depths? If so do you find it affects the spinners action?
Btw Buzz, fantastic post. Very informative.
Old 05-03-2012, 05:40 PM   #40
Lundy
Coho

Hey Buzz, thanks for the tip on the Thomas boyant spoon. I trolled it and couldn't keep the rainbows off of it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz Ramsey View Post
Trout are attracted to spinners due to their size, color, flash, and vibration. While the above factors play a role in attracting hungry trout, spinner vibration is credited as the key to spinner appeal. And although some companies tout theirs as the only one producing sonic vibration; in reality, all spinners generate underwater noise created by the blade spinning around the metal shaft as our spinner moves through the water.

Of course, spinners come in a variety of different blade shapes, which affect their sonic vibration, pulling resistance and retrieve speed. For example, a narrow blade shape will perform at faster retrieve speeds while producing minimum drag - meaning they can be more easily pulled through the water. Wide blade shapes generate more cranking resistance (drag), especially when pulled fast, but will maintain high action and blade vibration at the slowest of retrieve speeds.

According to the tackle buyers I interviewed (Fred Meyer, Bi-Mart and Fisherman Marine & Outdoor) the Rooster Tail is the most popular trout spinner. This lures popularity is due to its versatility. For example, the fact that its semi-narrow blade will perform when pulled both fast and slow means you can quickly cover an area when searching for concentrations of trout but then slow down your retrieve speed to more thoroughly work fish over.

Strikes are easily identified but can, at times, be subtle as trout will sometimes just stop the blade and/or forward movement of your spinner. In either case, it�s important to set the hook hard when noticing any change in spinner action. Sharp hooks; so sharp the fish can�t let go, are important for consistent hookups.

Spinners come in a variety of different colors, which can have a huge influence on your success. What color works best will likely depend on the amount of available light (which can vary depending on time of day or whether it�s sunny or overcast), water clarity and the type of natural forage that�s available. For example, if minnows are abundant there is a good chance that silver (Shad), gold (Chub), white, blue or green & silver, Rainbow Trout or Brown Trout finish will produce best � especially when worked in an erratic fashion.

When aquatic insects are the main forage, and especially when combined with clear water and bright sunlight, spinner body colors like black (Leech), brown (Salmon Fly), green (Frog), yellow (Bumble Bee), dark red, with (perhaps) a �bug� print stamped on the body may produce best. During times when the light is low or water turbid; try a fluorescent red, orange, pink, white, yellow, chartreuse, fluorescent green or copper finish. What I do is follow these basic guidelines and let the fish tell me what color they like.

In lakes, most anglers searching for trout cast and retrieve spinners while working their way along the shoreline or from a drifting boat. What I�ve found is that trout are likely to be found cruising near the surface when water temperatures are cool, early in the morning, on overcast days, or evening time periods. Trout are more likely to be found near bottom (or at some level above it) during the middle of the day when the sun is bright or at times during hot summer when the surface water temperature is warm.

To determine the depth they�re running, and be able to return to it, may require you to practice what�s known as the �count-down� method. In preparation for learning the �count-down� technique, realize that most weighted spinners will sink at a rate of one foot per second. Here�s how: cast out, and allow your spinner to fall freely to the bottom, counting one-one thousand, two-one thousand etc. until it hits bottom.

Now that you know the bottom depth based on counting you can begin your retrieve, on the next cast, just before your lure hits bottom, which may help you avoid hang ups. Using this simple procedure will allow you to search for fish at different depths and reliably return to the fish-producing level on subsequent casts.

In addition, working your lure near bottom may require you to step up to a larger/heavier spinner size. For example, small spinner sizes (up to 1/6 oz.) will likely produce best when fish are near the surface, say in the top ten feet of water; but you�ll need to step up to a larger spinner size (say � to 3/8 oz.) when fish are lurking deep in the water column.

While tipping is a common practice employed among bass and walleye anglers, the trick is often overlooked by those chasing trout. With spinners, what works is to tip the hook of your spinner with a short section pinched from a scent-filled worm - like the 3-inch PowerBait Trout Worm. And while different colors can work, in clear water what often adds to success is to hang a half to one-inch section of a dark red worm from your hook � just let it hang straight back behind your spinner.

Best,
Buzz Ramsey

Lundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 10:20 AM   #41
B.J. Lilly Hunter
Steelhead

I troll spinners from my cataraft a lot on smaller Central Oregon lakes. I find the best spinners for preventing line twist and catching fish at the same time are size 2 and 3 Blue Fox. I like the darker bodies with silver blades.
B.J. Lilly Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 01:23 PM   #42
fishin all day
Coho

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.J. Lilly Hunter View Post
I troll spinners from my cataraft a lot on smaller Central Oregon lakes. I find the best spinners for preventing line twist and catching fish at the same time are size 2 and 3 Blue Fox. I like the darker bodies with silver blades.
i have a few blue foxes too that i am soon going to try out on the clackamasya fishing but i hear there good for lakes too so what depth were u at
fishin all day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 12:55 PM   #43
Fishingforlife
Fry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundy View Post
Hey Buzz, thanks for the tip on the Thomas boyant spoon. I trolled it and couldn't keep the rainbows off of it!
I haven't had much luck with the rooster tails. But panther martins have always been a solid choice, especially for river fishing.

Now my favorite lure is the Thomas Buoyant spoon. Because of it's simple spoon design, I have able to cast 100+ feet on almost every cast. This is especially helpful when fishing from shore on lake when you are trying to get the deeper water. I have also found that casting at diagonals and alongside shore is much more effective than casting straight out, especially in the clearer lakes where the fish are more likely to be spooked.

I have caught brook trout, rainbow, and Bull trout with this one lure, on both sides of the cascades, in rivers and lakes with the majority from shore. The way the lure spins, it represents an injured or slow moving crawdad or fish, with jerking and stopping at random intervals while reeling in being very effective.

I landed a nice 20 inch bull trout in Odell Lake last July, but they are endangered there, so I had to release it. A friend of mine had a much larger fish on (also at Odell Lake) with the Thomas Buoyant spoon, we had it almost all the way to shore, when it snapped the 8lb test line. I'm not sure if it was a bull trout, rainbow, or lake trout, but it was a big fish that looked almost like a salmon.

That being said the original gold spoon with black and red speckles has been the most successful for me. Have also caught quite a few on the silver spoon with the same speckle pattern as the original gold.
Fishingforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 09:53 AM   #44
B.J. Lilly Hunter
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishin all day View Post
i have a few blue foxes too that i am soon going to try out on the clackamasya fishing but i hear there good for lakes too so what depth were u at
I just cast about 80 ft behind the boat and do a slow troll, so probably about 5-6 ft.
B.J. Lilly Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 07:22 AM   #45
capttuna
Cutthroat

Quote:
Mr. Ramsey:

Me too. It's the inexpensive (cheap) blade they use. Try using a pliers to slightly bend the bottom 1/4 of the blade up (about 20 degrees). I build my own (started with parts from "old" Herter's). Look for the nickle Roostertail like - blade w. 3 horizontal ripples. Buy weighted body ( or use hollow pencil lead, if you're cheap like me) use nail polish to paint black - let dry - then add a few small white spots. Catches everything. ( Giving you one of my best sport fishing secrets - for free!) Remember catching giant rainbows at Davis Lk. when it was open to general angling. ( Look that up in the history books.)
capttuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 08:01 AM   #46
FishnHuntOR
Chromer

Panter martins. I like the solid silver, gold or rainbow pattern. Thomas bouyant in gold/red and black. it has worked for me from cascades to Sierras. but you have to retrieve it slowly.
Rooster tails, I just let my daughter play with them and dont care if she looses them as they are useless.....ok maybe not the all white one. but all the others just useless.
FishnHuntOR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 07:49 PM   #47
Hunter911
Fry

i have caught so many trout on spinners on beaver cr down past the forks and all the way down to the nestucca river!
Old 01-07-2013, 01:30 PM   #48
kill2hunt
Tuna!

roostertails worthless...... ha! tell that to the thousands of trout i have caught on them. and the all white is my least favorite. black/silver brown/gold is all you need. sure you have to get the blade started but that has never been that big of a deal. my only issue is that they are really light and can be hard to keep in the right water colum in rivers. that is why i started using pm's, and have come to really like they way they fish. i use panther martins more than roosertails nowdays but i always will have a few ready for deployment
Old 01-07-2013, 03:38 PM   #49
Ifisherkid
King Salmon

Saying rooster tails are useless is like saying gold and diamonds are worthless! But hey if you have some you dont want I will take them off your hands.
Old 01-07-2013, 04:26 PM   #50
TrophyTaker
Steelhead

Roostertails work WAY better in rivers. The current helps get the blade spinning. Really though, I think all they need to do is change the clevis. I have a stash of old roostertails with a different style clevis on them that spin way better than the new ones.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:08 AM   #51
melasnus
Steelhead

PMs seem to spin "best," and are very effective on trout.

IF you can get RTs to spin right, they can be effective too.
One good thing about RMs is they have a huge selection to choose from.
However, they seem to need a faster retrieve and that usually isn't a good thing.
SLOOOOW is important when going after trout, and trout don't have alot of patience.
melasnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:19 PM   #52
Hash's_Fish
Cutthroat

this is so true i got a nice 17 inch rainbow this summer with a roster tail in alsea

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrophyTaker View Post
Roostertails work WAY better in rivers. The current helps get the blade spinning. Really though, I think all they need to do is change the clevis. I have a stash of old roostertails with a different style clevis on them that spin way better than the new ones.
Hash's_Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:22 PM   #53
Mudshark
Fry

Quote:
Originally Posted by native steelie View Post
hey buzz, i've been wondering for a long time if worden's are ever concidering coming out with a line of rooster tails with french blade spinners? also i enjoyed the very informative post. it gives a little more information on what to use with certain prevailing light conditions. a couple months back i read jed davis's book on spinners for steelhead. unlike his book your post gives better insight on what to use for certain light conditions.
This spinner technique is apple vs. oranges to what jed davis was writing about. Jed's book (CRUCIAL reading for any serious steelheader) is about fishing larger weighted spinners for steelhead in rivers.

Rooster tails are more for trout and not nearly heavy enough for river steelheading. If you want french blade spinners for steelhead, roll your own (easy and the best) or buy blue fox spinners in #2-4. Rooster tails will never come in french blade. If you want smaller french blade spinners for trout, once again 'roll your own' or buy Mepps trout spinners.

Last edited by Mudshark; 02-21-2013 at 01:23 PM.
Mudshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 10:04 PM   #54
cullen
Chromer

yesterday (3/15/13)
made a trip out to a local pond with my buddy (ifisherkid) to toss some spinners and catch some fish. we was tossing a silver blue fox and i was running a black and yellow panther martin,silver panther martin and othr colors and then a few rooster tails. we ended up releasing a dozen+ cookie cutters and kept the biggest and bleeders.image.jpg

today (3/16/13)
we slept in until 8 am today and on the way to the pond we stopped by sports authority for more weights and leader line. turns out all fishing gear is 50% off so i stocked up on powerpro for on $7 haha like taking candy from a baby...
anywho back to the story, we left the store around 9am and headed to the pond to C&R some fish. fisrt cast out and ifk landed this puppyimage (2).jpg so i rigged up my rod and flipped some spinners and landed this guyfishing.jpg
around noon we were working this area and boom we had a double up
so we had to snag a pic.fishing (1).jpg

today we caught over 20 trout and kept 4 for the smoker.
Old 03-18-2013, 08:29 PM   #55
Ifisherkid
King Salmon

T'was an awesome day. We outfished all the bait guys both days!!
Old 03-18-2013, 08:44 PM   #56
cullen
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ifisherkid View Post
T'was an awesome day. We outfished all the bait guys both days!!
it was so funny when we asked other people fishing how many fish and what they were using and most had 1 fish and on glitter powerbait lol.
and they ask us and we say woolly buggers haha (inside joke everybody) and they ask if spinners work and we shrug lol
Old 05-16-2013, 11:28 AM   #57
CPierce
Coho

Rooster Tails have been my most productive spinners for trout. They're now my wife's favorite too. I remember throwing a glow-in-the-dark Rooster Tail in pea soup fog before sunrise on opening day years ago in southern California. Sure enough, it resulted in one of the first trout off the lake that morning.
CPierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 06:39 PM   #58
Dak52
Coho

Growing up my grandpa and I always tossed the roostertail's first. They were our go to lure. Still use them often. Although last year I had a killer day throwing a green and chrome kastmaster. Was the most fun I had trout fishing in years.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
Dak52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 10:06 PM   #59
melasnus
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dak52 View Post
Although last year I had a killer day throwing a green and chrome kastmaster. Was the most fun I had trout fishing in years.
Kastmasters can be absolute killers on trout in almost any waters.
melasnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 07:28 AM   #60
Iggybabble
Fry

Ive fished most brands and styles of spinners over the years, but ive had my best success with Panther Martin, Blue Fox Vibrax's, and Sonic Rooster Tails. Im more confident with these 3 lures, so i tend to fish them and buy them more often than other brands/types. PM's in particular are compact for there weight, and they cast better than many other spinners. in many conditions, longer casts result in more water covered, and more water covered often results in more fish tempted/caught. by the same token, in really shallow water and small streams, the light weight and slow sinking rate of smaller Rooster Tails can keep you from snagging bottom structure, while the PM's may run too deep. the other spinner that ive done well with the last 10-12 years has been an italian made lure called Caliber, it has a hollow body that allows you to twist the body open and add scent, or rattles or bb's for weight/sound. i bought these dirt cheap when i was working as a tackle buyer for a bait and tackle shop in the SF Bay Area, im not sure who carries them anymore, but i bought at least 100 of them, and since they were so cheap, i fish them confidently cause a lost lure isnt a $3 hit to my wallet.....
Iggybabble is offline   Reply With Quote