North Santiam Greens Bridge-Jefferson Float - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Community

Old 04-21-2010, 01:58 PM   #1
Tillamook Born
Chromer

Default North Santiam Greens Bridge-Jefferson Float

I know that last year just above the confluence, the river was a little sketchy with a new channel being established. Has anyone done the float recently or in the last couple of months want to share what it looks like in regards to previous years. Not a novice oarsman, but want to know what to expect if I do float that section.

Thanks,
TB

Old 04-21-2010, 02:47 PM   #2
twinfisher
Steelhead

Default Re: North Santiam Greens Bridge-Jefferson Float

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tillamook Born View Post
I know that last year just above the confluence, the river was a little sketchy with a new channel being established. Has anyone done the float recently or in the last couple of months want to share what it looks like in regards to previous years. Not a novice oarsman, but want to know what to expect if I do float that section.

Thanks,
TB
I floated it several weeks ago and down by the confluence is very different than in years past but just stay to the left and all is good. It actually looks really fishy through that new stretch. Good luck!
twinfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 03:02 PM   #3
SantiamDrifter
Chromer

floated it about 3 weeks ago, It was all clear. Shouldnt be a problem for you.
SantiamDrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 03:15 PM   #4
FastAction

I floated that river twice in my life and Once was last May- There was not a rapid one There was a big Tree in the middle of the river just above the S. Santiam but you would have to be blind not to be able to make it through.. I actually ran my 8hp down that whole stretch, never rowed once! Then I read on Ifish how nasty the log jam was... What log jam? Near the farmers land that washed away?
FastAction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 03:54 PM   #5
Fishen Fool
Chromer

I think that they are referring to the one above Greens Bridge.
Old 04-21-2010, 03:55 PM   #6
Nolan
Coho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tillamook Born View Post

Thanks,
TB
I floated it last Sunday and there weren't any issues. It had changed a little even since January when I went through in a sled. As mentioned, the main channel is on your left and goes around a large root wad. I actually scooted by on the right side of the root wad. You won't have any problems. I think the river was at 4.4 when I went through.
Nolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 04:03 PM   #7
SantiamDrifter
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastAction View Post
I floated that river twice in my life and Once was last May- There was not a rapid one There was a big Tree in the middle of the river just above the S. Santiam but you would have to be blind not to be able to make it through.. I actually ran my 8hp down that whole stretch, never rowed once! Then I read on Ifish how nasty the log jam was... What log jam? Near the farmers land that washed away?
Years ago the left channel wasnt even a channel. The old right channel is a dry creek bed now. And the log jam above the confluence was cut back last june, or perhaps the june before, Im not real certian. That section of river has changed so much in the last 5 or 6 years. The real dangerous log jams are from shelburn to GB. And those change on every high water event. But from GB to jefferson, your good to go.
Old 04-21-2010, 04:11 PM   #8
FastAction

Beautiful river- was a very nice float
FastAction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 04:31 PM   #9
SantiamDrifter
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastAction View Post
Beautiful river- was a very nice float
You should see the upper river. Hands down some of the most beautiful water you'll ever see.
Old 04-21-2010, 05:27 PM   #10
BIGCSS
Steelhead

The cottonwood they cut and pulled out last May floated back down and into the left channel in the last bend just above the confluence, a couple of weeks ago in the really high water. Right now you can go to the right side of the root ball in a driftboat, but wouldn't attempt going to the left with a drift boat, because the trunk could catch you and dump you. In a sled you can run the left side, since you would just hop it. When the water drops it will probably be pretty sketchy. I talked to one of the people who pulled the tree out last year with a D-8 Cat and he already knew about it and was going to get in contact with the marine board to see if they wanted to get someone to cut it up and he would pull it out with his excavator since he is doing some work for the farmer that has the field next to it.

Last edited by BIGCSS; 04-21-2010 at 07:44 PM.
BIGCSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 07:06 PM   #11
SantiamDrifter
Chromer

Yeah it did look like a tight fit on the left, but I had plenty of water to go to the right in my DB. The water was at 4.3 when I went.
Old 04-21-2010, 07:42 PM   #12
BIGCSS
Steelhead

The left side has tons of room, but the trunk of the tree makes it dangerous for a drift boat, the right side is the tight side and will get even tighter when the water drops. Also when I say left or right I am referring to the river left or right side when you are going downstream. I drifted it last Wednesday and looked at it from my sled some today, but decided not to fish the North today.
BIGCSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 05:31 AM   #13
Mr Limpet
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by SantiamDrifter View Post
Yeah it did look like a tight fit on the left, but I had plenty of water to go to the right in my DB. The water was at 4.3 when I went.
4.3 reading at Jefferson? Getting some mixed signals here. I am no amature on the oars but still respect anothers opinion. Is this spot navigable by a drift boat on the right side at 4.3 reading at Jefferson or higher?
Mr Limpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 08:09 AM   #14
Nolan
Coho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Limpet View Post
4.3 reading at Jefferson? Getting some mixed signals here. I am no amature on the oars but still respect anothers opinion. Is this spot navigable by a drift boat on the right side at 4.3 reading at Jefferson or higher?

most likely the river gauge refered to is the North Santiam at Mehama
Nolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 09:55 AM   #15
SantiamDrifter
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Limpet View Post

It was the reading at Mehema.
Old 04-22-2010, 11:07 AM   #16
FishWonk
Steelhead

Mehama gage is dropping below 4. Any updates on that status of this log (how much room on right) as it drops would be welcome.

Safety first!

thanks all!
FW

Last edited by FishWonk; 04-22-2010 at 11:51 AM. Reason: clarifying
FishWonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 12:49 AM   #17
a12seccrx
Tuna!

How long does it take to do this drift? I've done Stayton to Shelburn and Stayton all the way to Greens bridge, but never Greens to Jefferson and thinkin bout doin it within the next week.
a12seccrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 02:34 AM   #18
SantiamDrifter
Chromer

depends how long you fish it. 4-8 hours.