What kind of Battery for Minn Kota? - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Flyfishers

Old 04-02-2010, 03:51 PM   #1
Pontoon Papa
Coho

Talking What kind of Battery for Minn Kota?

I have a buck bags, 8 ft pontoon boat and just got a Minn Kota 30 motor.
BUT....having a hard time finding a light weight battery that will work with it.
Anyone have a rig similar to mine? Can you suggest a battery??

Pontoon Papa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 03:55 PM   #2
DirectDrive
Ifish Nate

Default Re: What kind of Battery for Minn Kota?

Can't see going below a group 24 size deep cycle but that certainly isn't "lightweight".
When I was running an electric on a DB I was carrying two group 27's.
With a 3HP MK I would get 8-10 hrs at trolling speed per battery.
DirectDrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 05:17 PM   #3
cully
Ifish Nate

I think at standard 12v battery is 40 pounds. Optima's are lighter, I think. Way more expensive though
Old 04-03-2010, 09:47 AM   #4
3dvapor
Coho

d-34 blue top optima. it will also work good in you truck during hunting season
3dvapor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 10:51 AM   #5
luv_2_fish
Chromer

TD35-12 Tempest Deep Cycle AGM, Valve Regulated, Maintenance Free, Sealed Lead Acid Rechargeable Battery - 12V 35Ah True Deep Cycle BATTERY
12 volt, 35 Ah True Deep Cycle Battery for Wheelchairs, Scooters, UPS Systems, Medical Devices, and general purposes.

Cost ~$80

Dimensions:
Length:7.70", Width:5.16", Height 6.10" (including terminals):6.69", F5 terminals, Weight 24 lbs.

luv_2_fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 08:14 PM   #6
sadiesassy
Sturgeon

Are you mounting the motor on the back or up front? Just curious how you were balancing it out? I thought the motor weighted about 26 lbs.

35 Amp Hrs seems a little light - But I guess it depends on how you would use it in a day and what you are pushing.
I think I remember seeing some online references for how much draw to expect from the different motors and different speeds.

I was looking at a Minn Kota and the recommendation was about 70 - 75 Amp Hrs? I was planning on using it on a Canoe . I also was going to have 2 people in the canoe. MIght also use on my pontoon.
sadiesassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 01:36 PM   #7
Pontoon Papa
Coho

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadiesassy View Post
Are you mounting the motor on the back or up front? Just curious how you were balancing it out? I thought the motor weighted about 26 lbs.

35 Amp Hrs seems a little light - But I guess it depends on how you would use it in a day and what you are pushing.
I think I remember seeing some online references for how much draw to expect from the different motors and different speeds.

I was looking at a Minn Kota and the recommendation was about 70 - 75 Amp Hrs? I was planning on using it on a Canoe . I also was going to have 2 people in the canoe. MIght also use on my pontoon.
I am mounting it on the front, using the front mount bar from Bucks Bag...cost $85. I mount the battery in the rear in line with the motor on the cargo apron. I put a piece of 5/8 plywood under it and use the strap mount that comes with the battery.
Oh...I got an AGM battery from Les Shuwab for $154, deep cycle. 55 amp hours. They say i should get 10 hours out of it. I will test it out and see...thanks for your reply!!!
Old 04-23-2010, 03:45 PM   #8
sadiesassy
Sturgeon

PLrease let me know how it works out. I was thinking of buying the front mount for my Bronco.

I am curious when you run - are you going to use it in reverse most the time -- since the handle will be facing you . Run it backwards ?

Or are you going to turn it forward and use it in that mode until you get to a spot and then use the reverse mode?
Old 05-01-2010, 10:08 AM   #9
Pontoon Papa
Coho

Quote:
PLrease let me know how it works out. I was thinking of buying the front mount for my Bronco.

I am curious when you run - are you going to use it in reverse most the time -- since the handle will be facing you . Run it backwards ?

Or are you going to turn it forward and use it in that mode until you get to a spot and then use the reverse mode?
It works great! I'm a bit older so I can not pull my legs up an over the mount bar with my flippers on, and I don't have enough flex in my body to put them in the boat, so I take them off and let my waders rest on the motor bar.

I do run in reverse, even on 1 the speed is ideal for trolling. Its nice with it up front because I can reach up and change my direction without much hassle.

I built a small wooden mount for the battery w case, and strap it to the wood mount. All and All I am real please with the setup and looking forward to my next test run...
Old 05-02-2010, 02:49 PM   #10
sadiesassy
Sturgeon

Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like you had a good time.
Will be interesting to see how it holds up in the wind.

On your bronco - you added the plywood for the battery. What is on your the back platform? ( Firm platform or the open frame?)
Mine looks like a thick plastic piece- I was thinking of mounting it to that - Adding a piece of thin wood

I was wondering - if you run in forward speed - pushing the pontoon backwards - If balanced right - you could get to use it on a faster speed to get to other sites on a lake.

Think I will order the front bar.

Again thanks for the feedback
Old 05-03-2010, 02:10 PM   #11
Pontoon Papa
Coho

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like you had a good time.
Will be interesting to see how it holds up in the wind.

On your bronco - you added the plywood for the battery. What is on your the back platform? ( Firm platform or the open frame?)
Mine looks like a thick plastic piece- I was thinking of mounting it to that - Adding a piece of thin wood

I was wondering - if you run in forward speed - pushing the pontoon backwards - If balanced right - you could get to use it on a faster speed to get to other sites on a lake.

Think I will order the front bar.

Again thanks for the feedback

I added the plywood for the battery accross the back support of stainless steel bars. It lays on top, I added two riges accross the bottom to keep the board tight against the frame, so it will not slip back and forth.

I layed the plastic mesh that is used in the back right over the board, then I screwed the strap mounts for the battery case right thru the mesh. It makes it 1 unit. I keep the frame in one piece, and remove both pontoons when I go fishing. It's easier to tighten 4 straps, than the tighten the whole assembly each time.

I DID run it full speed in forward speed to the shore, just to see if it would do it. Not a problem...worked fine. Be glad to email Picture, if that would help you...