How to make a Hoochie Spinner - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Tech Tips and Keepers

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2010, 03:38 PM   #1
Roostertail
Chromer
 
Roostertail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Molalla,Oregon
Posts: 925
Default How to make a Hoochie Spinner

I hope you will like these steps I do in Making a Hoochie Spinner. I started making them because they can run up to the $20.00 range in the sporting goods store for the larger ones. I hope you enjoy this.

First I use the standard pliers.This is the smaller one. I would like to get the next step up for around $20.00.

The first bend is bent up at a 45 degree angle. Always the first bend is in the direction of the spinner.



The second bend (the short side) is bent down and around past the center as shown. Make sure this end of the wire is at least 2" for the wrap.


The third step is to take the long end and turn it down as shown in this photo.


The forth step is to bend the short wire around the round part of the pliers to the right side at a 3:00 position. This is where you want to add the swivel if you prefer.


The fifth step is to wrap the short wire around the long wire. Finish the wrap at an angle where it's flat with the loop to make the cut easier. You want to crimp the wire stub as flat against the loops so it doesn't stick out to catch on anything. This will take some time to get used to. Or you can use a file or dremel stone for a quick good result.



The sixth step is to put the blade on the clevis and slide it up the wire. You can use the plastic kind to inter change your blades, but I don't use them as a hard strike of a fish can pop the blade off. Make sure the colored part of the blade is on the outside otherwise it won't spin. Now the fun part. Choosing your beads. I like to start out sliding up a smaller bead first. Matching the tip of the blade. The working down with the larger beads. I had no pink beads to match the center color of the blade so I used a red one. Finally finishing off with the white beads.


The Seventh step is to slide on your Hoochie that matches the color scheme your trying to achieve. After sliding it on spread the tentacles out to slide on the bead that matches the Hoochie. Then insert it into the Hoochie.





The eighth step is preparing to attach the hook. This step is just the same as the first few beginning steps one through five. Don't make the mistake in bending the short wire first. Remember the short wire is for the wraps. Step three in turning the wire down is not shown here, so refer back to step # 3 Also before starting the bend you could slide on your colored tubing that will help hold the hook straight (photo not shown)



Don't forget to add the hook before you wrap the short wire. If you do you can use a split ring to attach to your loop and hook. This is the same step at #five.



The finished product

__________________
Always willing to go with other fishing buddies.

Last edited by Roostertail; 03-21-2010 at 11:04 AM. Reason: forgot this step
Roostertail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 03:41 PM   #2
tsorrels
Ifish Nate
 
tsorrels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: oregon coast
Posts: 2,614
Default Re: How to make a Hoochie Spinner

how about this set up rainbow color spinner pink or green hoochie ill take a few of each please
tsorrels is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 03:41 PM   #3
jmg
Ifish Nate
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Mt. Angel
Posts: 2,982
Default Re: How to make a Hoochie Spinner

Well done! Thanks for sharing. Looks like it will catch fish.
__________________
I just feed the fish, I don't catch em.
jmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 04:03 PM   #4
wayout
Sturgeon
 
wayout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Vancouver, WA
Posts: 3,640
Default Re: How to make a Hoochie Spinner

Nice!!
__________________
Get Me Out of Here and Let's Go Fishing!!
wayout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 04:04 PM   #5
Wildswede
Chromer
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Vancouver, Washington
Posts: 828
Default Re: How to make a Hoochie Spinner

Nice Tutorial. This is a large part of why I like to scan ifish......there is always something new to learn.
Wildswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 04:11 PM   #6
HntnFsh
King Salmon
 
HntnFsh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Toledo Wa
Posts: 5,524
Default Re: How to make a Hoochie Spinner

Thank you. Definetely worth a spot in the tips section!
__________________
"A man is about as big as the things that make him mad"
(unknown)
HntnFsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 04:18 PM   #7
Dun Wurken
Steelhead
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 321
Default Re: How to make a Hoochie Spinner

Great post! Where do you get those round pliers? Dun Wurken
Dun Wurken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 04:42 PM   #8
FisherJack
King Salmon
 
FisherJack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Salem
Posts: 7,967
Default Re: How to make a Hoochie Spinner

Nice work, Roostertail. Thanks for taking the time to take the pics, and make the post. You da man!
__________________
Jack
FisherJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 05:38 PM   #9
Big TULE
Ifish Nate
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Hockinson, WA.
Posts: 2,911
Default Re: How to make a Hoochie Spinner

Very nice tutorial... I like siwash on my spinners. I make them the same way except for the open eyed siwash i put on after i make them...
Big TULE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 06:12 PM   #10
Redhawk-Driver
Steelhead
 
Redhawk-Driver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 383
Default Re: How to make a Hoochie Spinner

Boy, I like that....
__________________
Redhawk-Driver
ALWAYS remember, there are two sides to every story and a little truth in both!
Redhawk-Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 06:54 PM   #11
Bait Bucket
King Salmon
 
Bait Bucket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 9,591
Default Re: How to make a Hoochie Spinner

If you're gonna drag those things around B-10 this August, you might consider putting a little "flash" under the hoochie.. Just a thought.......

Bait Bucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 07:00 PM   #12
Mrdorkfish
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Portland, Oregon, USA
Posts: 2,996
Thumbs up Re: How to make a Hoochie Spinner

Awesome tutorial !!! Thanks

Nice twisting dudarama
Mrdorkfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 07:19 PM   #13
Nvr_Srndr
Steelhead
 
Nvr_Srndr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Brush Prairie, WA
Posts: 253
Default Re: How to make a Hoochie Spinner

Awesome post. Where do you get the hoochies and the flash? What size is the hoochie? Thank you.
__________________
Nvr_Srndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 08:44 PM   #14
Metal Head
Tuna!
 
Metal Head's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: OC/Garibaldi
Posts: 1,234
Default Re: How to make a Hoochie Spinner

Nice spinner. What a great post!!!
__________________
"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity." -Lucius Anneus Seneca
Metal Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 08:45 PM   #15
Metal Head
Tuna!
 
Metal Head's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: OC/Garibaldi
Posts: 1,234
Default Re: How to make a Hoochie Spinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nvr_Srndr View Post
Awesome post. Where do you get the hoochies and the flash? What size is the hoochie? Thank you.
Pretty sure fishermans has all you need
__________________
"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity." -Lucius Anneus Seneca
Metal Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 08:46 PM   #16
Bait Bucket
King Salmon
 
Bait Bucket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 9,591
Default Re: How to make a Hoochie Spinner

They never seem to stock the flash inserts. I get mine on the coast.
Bait Bucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 09:40 PM   #17
DogZilla15
King Salmon
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 14,747
Default Re: How to make a Hoochie Spinner

Bait Bucket:

I make mine......
DogZilla15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 04:45 AM   #18
the_admeral
Chromer
 
the_admeral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Hermiston,OR
Posts: 645
Default Re: How to make a Hoochie Spinner

Question: Is it ok to use a metal spinner clevis on lighter mono? I always see the plastic quick change clevis on mono. Thanks for the tutorial.
__________________
Proud supporter of the CCA.
Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity.
the_admeral is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 04:51 AM   #19
Bait Bucket
King Salmon
 
Bait Bucket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 9,591
Default Re: How to make a Hoochie Spinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_admeral View Post
Question: Is it ok to use a metal spinner clevis on lighter mono? I always see the plastic quick change clevis on mono. Thanks for the tutorial.
There's wire clevises and there's folded clevises. Even the folded clevis will cut mono. You'll loose spinners and fish. If you insist on using metal on mono, make your own. There's a ton of how-to info on that here on ifish.

Here's an old photo of one of mine.

Bait Bucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 03:53 PM   #20
Fishtail
Tuna!
 
Fishtail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Yamhill, Oregon
Posts: 1,318
Default Re: How to make a Hoochie Spinner

Very juicy looking spinner Roostertail!
__________________
"A leader is a man who can adapt principles to circumstances."
- General George S. Patton, Jr
Fishtail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 03:58 PM   #21
Deanrt
Sturgeon
 
Deanrt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: McMinnville
Posts: 4,337
Default Re: How to make a Hoochie Spinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsorrels View Post
how about this set up rainbow color spinner pink or green hoochie ill take a few of each please
Bingo. I'll take a few as well.
Thanks for sharing.
__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Semper Fi, Team ACME, #5724
Deanrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 04:44 PM   #22
Kokanee Slow
Steelhead
 
Kokanee Slow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: So Far
Posts: 341
Default Re: How to make a Hoochie Spinner

Great Stuff!! Thanks for your input and efforts to educate us!
Kokanee Slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 03:23 PM   #23
Roostertail
Chromer
 
Roostertail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Molalla,Oregon
Posts: 925
Default Re: How to make a Hoochie Spinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roostertail View Post
I hope you will like these steps I do in Making a Hoochie Spinner. I started making them because they can run up to the $20.00 range in the sporting goods store for the larger ones. I hope you enjoy this.

First I use the standard pliers.This is the smaller one. I would like to get the next step up for around $20.00.

The first bend is bent up at a 45 degree angle. Always the first bend is in the direction of the spinner.



The second bend (the short side) is bent down and around past the center as shown. Make sure this end of the wire is at least 2" for the wrap.



The third step is to take the long end and turn it down as shown in this photo.



The forth step is to bend the short wire around the round part of the pliers to the right side at a 3:00 position. This is where you want to add the swivel if you prefer.



The fifth step is to wrap the short wire around the long wire. Finish the wrap at an angle where it's flat with the loop to make the cut easier. You want to crimp the wire stub as flat against the loops so it doesn't stick out to catch on anything. This will take some time to get used to. Or you can use a file or dremel stone for a quick good result.




The sixth step is to put the blade on the clevis and slide it up the wire. You can use the plastic kind to inter change your blades, but I don't use them as a hard strike of a fish can pop the blade off. Make sure the colored part of the blade is on the outside otherwise it won't spin. Now the fun part. Choosing your beads. I like to start out sliding up a smaller bead first. Matching the tip of the blade. The working down with the larger beads. I had no pink beads to match the center color of the blade so I used a red one. Finally finishing off with the white beads.



The Seventh step is to slide on your Hoochie that matches the color scheme your trying to achieve. After sliding it on spread the tentacles out to slide on the bead that matches the Hoochie. Then insert it into the Hoochie.







The eighth step is preparing to attach the hook. This step is just the same as the first few beginning steps one through five. Don't make the mistake in bending the short wire first. Remember the short wire is for the wraps. Step three in turning the wire down is not shown here, so refer back to step # 3 Also before starting the bend you could slide on your colored tubing that will help hold the hook straight (photo not shown)








Don't forget to add the hook before you wrap the short wire. If you do you can use a split ring to attach to your loop and hook. This is the same step at #five.



The finished product
__________________
Always willing to go with other fishing buddies.
Roostertail is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Cast to



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 05:35 PM.

Terms of Service
Page generated in 0.55256 seconds with 43 queries