shooting halibut? - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Community

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2010, 06:41 PM   #1
kelso
Steelhead
 
kelso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: kelso, wash.
Posts: 495
Default shooting halibut?

I have had conflicting answers to this question. Can you shoot halibut out of neah bay. I have been told yes, and no. Just wondering, cuz I know a 22 mag to the head sure settles em down in Ak.

kelso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 07:12 PM   #2
toadfish
Fry
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 12
Thumbs up Re: shooting halibut?

look under marine area rules ! tackle/gear rules.
It states that HALIBUT may be shot or harpooned while landing!
Good Luck Fishing!
toadfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 08:43 PM   #3
Twoshottom
Chromer
 
Twoshottom's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Longview, WA
Posts: 639
Default Re: shooting halibut?

This is from the Marine Area Rules of the 2009 Sport Fishing Regulations, Page 96:

"Halibut - Hook and line angling and spearfishing
only. A hand-held line is permitted. Only one line
with up to two hooks may be used. Halibut may
be shot or harpooned while landing.
May not be
landed in a port closed to halibut fishing except
halibut lawfully caught in Canada; angler must
have Canadian license. See page 25, Fish &
Shellfish caught in Canada"
Twoshottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 08:44 PM   #4
Dinikin
Tuna!
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Portland
Posts: 1,499
Default Re: shooting halibut?

Just try not to shoot it while it is in the boat.




Quote:
Originally Posted by kelso View Post
I have had conflicting answers to this question. Can you shoot halibut out of neah bay. I have been told yes, and no. Just wondering, cuz I know a 22 mag to the head sure settles em down in Ak.
Dinikin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 08:58 PM   #5
jonn5335
Tuna!
 
jonn5335's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Longview
Posts: 1,020
Default Re: shooting halibut?

yes, you can but do you really think it's necessary
jonn5335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 08:58 PM   #6
FishoDano
Tuna!
 
FishoDano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: SW WA
Posts: 1,411
Default Re: shooting halibut?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinikin View Post
Just try not to shoot it while it is in the boat.
Defiantly make sure the gun is pointed down and not towards any innocent by standards or the hull of your boat... LOL
__________________
"Whatever you do don't chase em, take em head first!"
FishoDano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 10:19 PM   #7
lingcodmaster
Steelhead
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 195
Default Re: shooting halibut?

i catch alot of halibut every summer in alaska and you really only have to shoot them from about 70 pounds and up. But sometimes the most dangerouse fish are the 40-70 pounders as they flap around alot in the boat. But we normaly shoot fish 50 pounds and up just to be safe. but yeah it is necesary to shoot the biger halibut. We use a 45 calibur and it works pretty good if you use the right bullets but by far the best is a 410 snake charmer.
brandon kind
lingcodmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 06:09 AM   #8
Tiny
Chromer
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Lake Oswego, Oregon
Posts: 847
Default Re: shooting halibut?

What are the regulations about taking a gun into Canada?


Are there any?
Tiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 06:49 AM   #9
crabbait
King Salmon
 
crabbait's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: San Jose, Costa Rica
Posts: 29,961
Default Re: shooting halibut?

I certainly wouldn't use any gun that I was fond of. Saltwater tends to splash when fired into at close range and saltwater works wonders on firearms in short order.

We have landed many good sized halibut, to over 100lbs, and never had the need to shoot them. I get a good gaff or harpoon shot in them so that they are controlled but still in the water then run a rope through the mouth and out the gills, around the tail then back to a loop tied in the end of the rope. Pull tight and the fish's tail is drawn up close to its head. Flopping is completely eliminated and the fish has a nice "handle" to lift over the side.
__________________
Goin' where the sun keeps shinin' through the pouring rain
Goin' where the weather suits my clothes...
Pura Vida
crabbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 07:13 AM   #10
Angus
Tuna!
 
Angus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kelso/ Ketchikan
Posts: 1,269
Default Re: shooting halibut?

75# and under get the wood shampoo and a gaff through the head. Much over that and they get a good quality harpoon stuck in them and a Louisville lubotomy, then I cut the gills and let them bleed for a few minutes, safe, easy and effective. Never felt the need for a gun and I've put fish to 270lbs. in the boat.
Angus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 07:25 AM   #11
cowlitzriverfisher
 
cowlitzriverfisher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Cowlitz County
Posts: 1,024
Default Re: shooting halibut?

Dave try a taser im sure that will calm them down ....
cowlitzriverfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 07:25 AM   #12
Keta
King Salmon
 
Keta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Klamath Falls...for now
Posts: 10,931
Default Re: shooting halibut?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabbait View Post
I certainly wouldn't use any gun that I was fond of. Saltwater tends to splash when fired into at close range and saltwater works wonders on firearms in short order.

We have landed many good sized halibut, to over 100lbs, and never had the need to shoot them. I get a good gaff or harpoon shot in them so that they are controlled but still in the water then run a rope through the mouth and out the gills, around the tail then back to a loop tied in the end of the rope. Pull tight and the fish's tail is drawn up close to its head. Flopping is completely eliminated and the fish has a nice "handle" to lift over the side.
__________________

Support OCEAN for the future of Oregon saltwater fishing OCEAN
Pro Staff, Hogg's Hardcore Tuna Tackle 362 SW Oak St Hillsboro, OR 97123 (503)887-6845
Keta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 08:46 AM   #13
ibgrizz
Tuna!
 
ibgrizz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Ketchikan , Alaska
Posts: 1,040
Thumbs up Re: shooting halibut?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus View Post
75# and under get the wood shampoo and a gaff through the head. Much over that and they get a good quality harpoon stuck in them and a Louisville lubotomy, then I cut the gills and let them bleed for a few minutes, safe, easy and effective. Never felt the need for a gun and I've put fish to 270lbs. in the boat.
: agree:
__________________
ibgrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 09:22 AM   #14
waterbobber
Ifish Nate
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Yakima area
Posts: 2,922
Thumbs down Re: shooting halibut?

Unless you have a permit and pay the 25.00 registration fee etc., don't bring any firearm across the border into Canada. Don't even think about bringing a handgun into Canada under any circumstance. If you do and get checked, plan on spending a few days with border patrol in the Victoria pokey and being dang lucky if you get to keep your boat! Double harpoon the big barn doors if you have to, and have a long bladed knife affixed to a long handle to cut the gill arches at a distance. A quick bleed out will mellow the biggest 'but and keep the blood out of the boat.
waterbobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 10:10 AM   #15
yomper
Steelhead
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: In the wind
Posts: 423
Default Re: shooting halibut?

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterbobber View Post
Unless you have a permit and pay the 25.00 registration fee etc., don't bring any firearm across the border into Canada. Don't even think about bringing a handgun into Canada under any circumstance. If you do and get checked, plan on spending a few days with border patrol in the Victoria pokey and being dang lucky if you get to keep your boat! Double harpoon the big barn doors if you have to, and have a long bladed knife affixed to a long handle to cut the gill arches at a distance. A quick bleed out will mellow the biggest 'but and keep the blood out of the boat.
If you drive into B.C. thru Blaine,WA you can park a handgun at the hardware store in Blaine I think it was an Ace hardware for a daily fee last time I did it it was $2 but that was quite a while ago
__________________
GUNS DON'T KILL BULLETS DO.COUNT YOUR SHOTS
yomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 10:15 AM   #16
yomper
Steelhead
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: In the wind
Posts: 423
Default Re: shooting halibut?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelso View Post
I have had conflicting answers to this question. Can you shoot halibut out of neah bay. I have been told yes, and no. Just wondering, cuz I know a 22 mag to the head sure settles em down in Ak.
In B.C. they harpoon it and have a large buoy called a Scotsman attached and let the fish flop around in the salt
Also in the USA a bang stick is used instead of a gun I used to have a friend in Hawaii who made them
__________________
GUNS DON'T KILL BULLETS DO.COUNT YOUR SHOTS
yomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 10:21 AM   #17
TonTo
Tuna!
 
TonTo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Longview,WA
Posts: 1,728
Default Re: shooting halibut?

Haven't try'd it myself, don't drink anymore and when I did I sure wouldn't have been wasting it, but hear a little whisky on the gills subdues them pretty quickly.
__________________
"and if I had a pony,I'ld ride it on my boat"
TonTo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 10:29 AM   #18
Closepin
Steelhead
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Centralia
Posts: 179
Default Re: shooting halibut?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lingcodmaster View Post
i catch alot of halibut every summer in alaska and you really only have to shoot them from about 70 pounds and up. But sometimes the most dangerouse fish are the 40-70 pounders as they flap around alot in the boat. But we normaly shoot fish 50 pounds and up just to be safe. but yeah it is necesary to shoot the biger halibut. We use a 45 calibur and it works pretty good if you use the right bullets but by far the best is a 410 snake charmer.
brandon kind

The "snake charmer" does great with the halibut(and grouse). a little love tap and the fights all over.
Closepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 10:49 AM   #19
spooner
Tuna!
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: craig Alaska
Posts: 1,671
Default Re: shooting halibut?

I seen a guide loose three fingers harpooning a halibut. he had a 30 ft line and the end of it tied to the boat. when he harpooned it it took off strait down. he was afraid it would pull out when it got to the end of the rope. so he grabbed the rope and tried to stop it. the line wrapped around his hand and pulled three of his fingers out of socket and terned them all the way around so his finger nails were on the palm side of his hand.

I personaly like to use a shark hook and a bat.
spooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 11:19 AM   #20
sidewinder
Steelhead
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bothell, Wa.
Posts: 389
Default Re: shooting halibut?

yes...Big flatties around a small boat are a resipe for disaster. If you have a bigger boat its not such a big deal. I've been in a bunch of big fish. A rubber mallet to the side of the dome tames even the biggest fish, but I wouldn't want them flopping around on my deck. Harpoon um, bleed um, hog tie um..whatever...just kill them before you bring them aboard. I netted a 50 lber once and dropped it on the deck of my 12 valco.I never did that again. Some cooperate. Some don't. That fish beat the crap outta everthing in the boat. I swear she spent half the time 3' in the air, and everytime she hit the deck something else got broke. If you don't know were to hit them. You can smash their heads to hamburger, and not kill them. That was my first experiance with a halibut.
I haven't sport fished butts at home for quite some time. This will be my first whole spring, and summer in the lower 48 in a while. I look fwd to lings, halibut, springers, summer runs, and a full season of vermin. I'm so excited I can't stand it. I should let my wife read this. I NEED a new gun for halibut. A rifle in .204 ruger should be about right.
sidewinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 12:10 PM   #21
Tinman
King Salmon
 
Tinman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Portland & Oceanside, Oregon
Posts: 6,235
Default Re: shooting halibut?

When you shoot a halibut, everybody in the other boats around you looks tenses up and has the same thought....."I hope that #*$@^# doesn't accidentally send a stray shot skipping over here." That fear is well founded since we all know what happens in a small boat when big fish come alongside - adrenaline is pumping, crew is tripping over each other, the boat is pitching and rolling in the chop, maybe some beers have been drunk. It's easy to imagine a shot going wild.

Also, plenty of guys have shot holes in their own boats, which means other boats have to abandon their fishing and come to the rescue.

When a shot rings out over the water, any wives or kids or fishing newbies on nearby boats may be shocked and disappointed that fishing involves guns. It can certainly put a damper on their day.

I get pretty annoyed when the shooting starts, especially since so many skippers competently handle big halibut without using guns.
__________________
Ifish Member #223
22 foot Learned dory "Evenstar"
Tinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 01:09 PM   #22
fishonjohn
Fry
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 6
Default Re: shooting halibut?

I've killed lots of halibut out of Neah Bay, on both sides of the border. I Have never had the need to shoot one. I Harpoon them, tie them off to a cleet so if I can't hold them they can pull on the boat for a while, pull them up, cut their gills and then move them through the water so they bleed out fast, takes the wind right out of their sails.
fishonjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 03:00 PM   #23
Angus
Tuna!
 
Angus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kelso/ Ketchikan
Posts: 1,269
Default Re: shooting halibut?

Quote:
Originally Posted by spooner View Post
I seen a guide loose three fingers harpooning a halibut. he had a 30 ft line and the end of it tied to the boat. when he harpooned it it took off strait down. he was afraid it would pull out when it got to the end of the rope. so he grabbed the rope and tried to stop it. the line wrapped around his hand and pulled three of his fingers out of socket and terned them all the way around so his finger nails were on the palm side of his hand.
I don't care who you are, that will ruin your day!
Angus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 04:14 PM   #24
cowlitzriverfisher
 
cowlitzriverfisher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Cowlitz County
Posts: 1,024
Default Re: shooting halibut?

I think Kelso was just asking if it legal to dispatch a halibut that way, not what everyones feelings are... I say go for it Dave
cowlitzriverfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 05:17 PM   #25
diamondfish
Tuna!
 
diamondfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Soldotna
Posts: 1,453
Default Re: shooting halibut?

Sure would be a shame to hit the leader, thus loosing a halibut with buckshot or slug if you prefer, in its head............been there seen it, thats why I will only use a harpoon and bouy. Wear it down, shark hook it in the mouth, but the colored side of the tail, bleed it out, then in the box...............
__________________
Shawn Buller
diamondfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 06:12 PM   #26
BARCHASER
Tuna!
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Bothell, WA
Posts: 1,381
Default Re: shooting halibut?

I shoot anything much over 30. You dont need to, but it makes the whole process easier. Less fuss and muss and you dont get blood all over the inside of the boat. Besides I kinda enjoy giving them a blast with my 38, solid slug is plenty, no hollow points.

Off of Ucluelet, where I fish a lot, its harpoon time.
__________________
Websters Dictionary:

boat: /bot/noun 1. a small vessel propelled by oars, paddles, sails or power; 2. acronym meaning "Bring Out Another Thousand!"

Fishing rule #1, find out how the locals fish and fish the same way!
BARCHASER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 06:46 PM   #27
salmonfisher77
Ifish Nate
 
salmonfisher77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 2,677
Default Re: shooting halibut?

We bring a AK47 on every Butt trip and OPEN FIRE as soon as you can see color, usally its 2 or 3 50 rnd. clips per fish!
__________________
If we shouldn't eat animals, why are they made of meat?
salmonfisher77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Cast to



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:19 PM.

Terms of Service
Page generated in 0.39020 seconds with 47 queries