Best Brown Trout Lure? - www.ifish.net

Trout Yak!
Trout & Kokanee Fishing with Buzz Ramsey

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Trout Yak! Trout & Kokanee Fishing

Old 02-19-2010, 08:20 PM   #1
Smitty42
Steelhead

Default Best Brown Trout Lure?

It's that time of the year when I am getting excited to troll Wickiup for some Big Brownies....I was wandering what lures/colors work for all you guy's. For me I like to rip troll a broken-back Rapala, Trophy stick, or A.C. Plug in the Kokanee pattern. But the Baby Brown Trout Rapala is a real killer!!!

Smitty42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 09:56 PM   #2
Jimmy
Chromer

Default Re: Best Brown Trout Lure?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty42 View Post
It's that time of the year when I am getting excited to troll Wickiup for some Big Brownies....I was wandering what lures/colors work for all you guy's. For me I like to rip troll a broken-back Rapala, Trophy stick, or A.C. Plug in the Kokanee pattern. But the Baby Brown Trout Rapala is a real killer!!!

I think you have it covered pretty good. I now carry a duffel bag full of plano boxes stuffed with minnow imitating lures. Try to match the baitfish in the lake you are fishing. For kokanee I use black and silver, chubs I use perch patterns. I might add Bomber long A's, Lucky Craft Pointers, BettenCourt Baits and Rebel lures to your list.
Old 02-19-2010, 10:47 PM   #3
sweeper
Cutthroat

I am always fiddling with different Trophy Sticks, ACs, Rapalas (of all types), Lucky Crafts, and some I can't even remember the names of. Vary size, color, rip, no rip, etc, based on all sorts of theories and observations. My wife simply ties on a Lucky Craft Pointer 128 in Aurora Black, puts her feet up, and constantly outfishes me.
sweeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 05:51 AM   #4
Jimmy
Chromer

What a great post. For us old guys that have been fishing for browns before the Internet. This information would have save me a lot of time and money. All I would add is to buy a few lures mentioned and be on the water trolling the first two hours and the last two hours of the day. I am not saying you cant catch browns during the day but there is a definitely a morning and evening bite for browns.
Old 02-20-2010, 08:16 AM   #5
K-sigfish
Chromer

when they are in the shallows feeding early in the day or at dusk, I have had tremendous luck flat lining copper tadpollys or k9 kwikies in black or frog wrapped with a chunk of crayfish or shrimp.
K-sigfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 08:53 AM   #6
K sled
Steelhead

At Wickup have good luck using Rapela's Fat Rap. FRS#5 in black and silver. 150' back of 8# P Line at 2mp about 14' down.
K sled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 12:11 PM   #7
MOLDY
Steelhead

I've had good results with the Rapala Shad Raps. They come in 20 some patterns, you can get them anywhere, and their on sale a lot at a price I can afford.
MOLDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 01:25 PM   #8
SilverBullets
Tuna!

I've caught browns on the Bettencourt Assassin, AC Plugs, and while ripping flies with leaded line. My largest brown was caught while targeting kokanee with a Apex.
SilverBullets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 03:57 PM   #9
viigfish
Chromer

In streams they sure like Thomas Boyant spoons in the 1/6th oz size.

RV
viigfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 10:27 PM   #10
Scotty M.
Cutthroat

I have fished them all but the best lure bar none is a Rapala. They are durable and catch a lot of big fish
Scotty M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 07:10 AM   #11
fish-on-bend
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty M. View Post
I have fished them all but the best lure bar none is a Rapala. They are durable and catch a lot of big fish

I agree. I'd be willing to bet that more large trout have been caught on Rapalas than any other. My nephew's former record was on a Rapala. My 3 biggest browns were on Rapalas. When I talk to some of my brown trout friends in La Pine/Bend, we discuss our success in terms of which Rapala was working, not which lure was working. For casting, I really don't even consider anything else.
Old 02-21-2010, 08:53 AM   #12
Wild Chrome
Sturgeon

Quote:
....I was wandering what lures/colors work for all you guy's.
Bunny leech!

Wild Chrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 02:01 PM   #13
bwild
Chromer

Quote:
Typically, I like to "match the hatch". If there's browns and they stock the lake with rainbows, can't go wrong with rainbow patterns. If there are kokanee, can't go wrong with kokanee patterns (i.e. I think someone mentioned "Aurora Black LC Pointer", that's pretty spot on). Of course, chub pattern at a place such as wickiup. I bet the baby brown trout pattern there would produce (like you stated).

But, don't be afraid to try different stuff. I remember one time Klamanite called me up and I think he said the "hot steel" pattern was the hot color of the day one time. I've caught them on perch and fire-tiger patterns as well. Heck, I think "coyote's" biggest brown was on a fire-tiger pattern.

Can't go wrong with your very standard F-13 Rapala in black and silver. It's seems so boring and the lure that "everyone" uses. But, it's like the old addage "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." Good luck to you.
Old 02-24-2010, 05:32 PM   #14
Smitty42
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwild View Post
Typically, I like to "match the hatch". If there's browns and they stock the lake with rainbows, can't go wrong with rainbow patterns. If there are kokanee, can't go wrong with kokanee patterns (i.e. I think someone mentioned "Aurora Black LC Pointer", that's pretty spot on). Of course, chub pattern at a place such as wickiup. I bet the baby brown trout pattern there would produce (like you stated).

But, don't be afraid to try different stuff. I remember one time Klamanite called me up and I think he said the "hot steel" pattern was the hot color of the day one time. I've caught them on perch and fire-tiger patterns as well. Heck, I think "coyote's" biggest brown was on a fire-tiger pattern.

Can't go wrong with your very standard F-13 Rapala in black and silver. It's seems so boring and the lure that "everyone" uses. But, it's like the old addage "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." Good luck to you.
Thanks all for your list of fav's...there are a few I will have to try out I run mostly Rapala's too but I cant seem to keep the size 13 off the bottom at Wickiup and usually resort to the size 11. Any tips on depth would be great...I try to fish in 8-20 ft. of water paying attention to drop-off's and points.
Smitty42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 01:18 AM   #15
Smitty34
Steelhead

make sure you pick up a couple extra for me too.... maybe this year you will let ME catch one of the browns! +? years fishing Wickiup w/you and it never fails..... you come home happy and I come home saying I'll never go back... but this year is different, I'm gonna come homeHappy!
Smitty34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 06:50 PM   #16
kill2hunt
Tuna!

what about yo zuris?????? i love how they run. and ive seen some nice fish caught on flat fish, i think thats what they were killing them on at miller.
Old 02-26-2010, 07:51 AM   #17
12gaugeRage
Steelhead

I've always used a baby brown or baby rainbow 4-6" floating about 60 feet behind the boat or casting off shore jigging every couple seconds. I've always filled my limits with them.

Old 02-27-2010, 10:30 AM   #18
Halibutt
Coho

While fishing East Lake a few years back the lodge owner said guys were knocking the browns to death on a lure called Trophy Sticks. Of course they were selling them there for 17.00(Yikes). One was called the Tui Chub and looked killer so I had to. I was very impressed when we began running it just out from the lodge. Fifteen or so minutes and fish-on 8 1/2 pound brown. Here is a link on where to purchase them. Look at the one called a spawning Kokanee, in late august through october 31, this looks deadly. Anyways my new favorite brown lure.
http://www.stevesfishingsupplies.com...hy_Sticks.html

Last edited by Halibutt; 02-27-2010 at 10:31 AM.
Halibutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 03:55 AM   #19
dinghy
Coho

on hawg guest they killed the browns with blue tazmanian devils
dinghy is offline   Reply With Quote