Building a shrimp pot puller? - www.ifish.net
Leave no Dog Behind

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > The Salty Dogs

Old 02-08-2010, 03:47 PM   #1
Quaka Wacka
Ifish Nate

Default Building a shrimp pot puller?

Anybody ever take this on? We've been pulling the shrimp pots by hand the last few years, and were definatly not getting any younger. And since we only go once or twice per year its hard to justify spending 8-900$ for a gas puller and daveit setup. Looking to build something similar to this guy...

As far as the davit goes, I have everything I need fab it up except, a source for the scheduel 80 1.5" aluminum pipe. And a way to bend it to 80degrees. Does anybody know of a local source for the pipe? Also a source for a new or used (preferably used) open pulley/block?

Now comes the motor.

I have several small 2.5-7hp gas motors(most popular for a puller is 3.5-4). I haven't messed with them much, but the best I can tell none of them have the required 6:1 gear reduction. Anybody know of someone who does gear reductions for small motors? I've tried several online sources, and the best price so far is almost the cost of bying a new motor with the gear reduction already on it.

And the last piece of the puzzle is the capstan. I was hoping to find a used one, but imagine in the end I'll have to just buy a new one.

I hate to take the "Ifish please help me" approach, but at this point, I've got about 6 hours into looking around online, with little cost effective results. If nobody on here has tried it, does anybody know of a source for any of the above listed materials, with out spending a ton of $$$$?

Any help will be greatly apperciated, and I'll be sure and share my results if this project gets off the ground for anybody else who may be toying with the idea.

Thanks

Alex

Quaka Wacka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 06:23 PM   #2
tomictime
Sturgeon

Default Re: Building a shrimp pot puller?

skiff booms prebent w Motor mounts are about $100 last time I checked.
PM for a source, as they are not an ifish sponsor..
Sched 80 long boom should IMO get an internal stiffener bar, which costs extra. IF you do not want that option
any decent weld shop can bend it or fab a gusset and make a welded boom. Not as pretty with two flat bars reinforcing the two pcs of pipe, but servicable..
A used pulley might be obtainable at some of the marine swap meets or consignment shops: try the Fisheries street sale or the upcoming desMoines swap meet, or call some of the popular shrimping suppliers, again not ifish sponsors..
Try to find a used hauler engine, gearbox and capstan,,by the component they add up. They can be found for $200 ish...I bought my first Briggs w gearbox and capstan for $150, granted that was a few moons ago.
2 years ago friend bought his "spare" for $225

Did you put a WTB ad in ifish or craigslist?

..great project..almost as good as EATING them...

tomictime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 04:52 AM   #3
Sandybar
Chromer

Go to ebay and buy a Wheel Chair motor. Most are wired for 24 volt but you can wire it for 12 volt and will give you 100' minute about 20-23 times with one charge.
Old 02-09-2010, 08:45 AM   #4
Quaka Wacka
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandybar View Post
Go to ebay and buy a Wheel Chair motor. Most are wired for 24 volt but you can wire it for 12 volt and will give you 100' minute about 20-23 times with one charge.
Sounds doable. How do you wire it for 12 volts. And do you just put a capstan on it? Or do you need to rig it differently?
Old 02-09-2010, 10:01 AM   #5
Sandybar
Chromer

You just wire it like you would anything else. You will just lower your wattage about half. I think the wheelchair motors will put out about 350 watts. if you wire it up to 12 volts than it will be about 150 -175 watts instead.
Old 02-09-2010, 11:42 AM   #6
bluechevyy
Steelhead

Not to change the subject, but, where do you shrimp at? I would love to do some of this. Is there a special license and out of what port are you going for the shrimp?

Thanks a bunch! I'm not asking for your deepest secrets just an idea of the port that you can find shrimp and pot for them.

Thanks,
Curt
bluechevyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 12:00 PM   #7
tracker
King Salmon

Wa State or Canada are best known places. Some in Oregon but spotty to find.

Only participant to fish all OTC events! You can't win if you are not playing!
tracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 12:23 PM   #8
tracker
King Salmon

Just to wet your appetite a bit and because there are many here who are new and have not seen them, here are a couple of Shrimping videos!

http://justkeepfishing.com/shrimping-2008.html

http://justkeepfishing.com/Shrimping.html

Only participant to fish all OTC events! You can't win if you are not playing!

Last edited by tracker; 02-09-2010 at 12:30 PM.
tracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 02:14 PM   #9
Chesapeake
Sturgeon

Alex,

I have some pipe that should work for you. If not you can buy your own at IRC in St. Johns down by Schnitzer.

You should come look at what I got. I bought some for outriggers and its way to heavy. I kept it thinking I might make hand rails or something. Not sure the size right now, but its 2 10' sections of about 1.75" (maybe 2") stuff and 2 10' sections of smaller stuff that could fit in the bigger pipe with some coaxing.

"I'd have shot a bigger one, if he had shown himself first."
Deck boss on "J4".
Chesapeake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 03:19 PM   #10
mstarck
Chromer

I know you were asking about parts for a gas powered davit,but I thought i would post the pics of my electric.It is a Folbe davit with a electric capstan winch and mounting bracket by me.works great for off shore crabbing.hope you get something put together.

mike
Old 02-10-2010, 06:46 AM   #11
silver slayer
Steelhead

my parents replaced their gas with electric a few years ago they might want to part with their old one the motor ran before but its pretty old you could use the boom and the gear reduction atleast if it will fit on a different motor its 5 horse briggs or honda I don't remember I can ask about it if your interested. or they might want to sell just the boom
silver slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 05:30 PM   #12
CB-1
Coho

Speedy
That looks like an awesome setup. How much for a set of brackets. The anchor capstain, I'll check what they go for in the westmarine catalog tomorrow. That would work well for crab?
Chris
503-602-9978
Old 02-11-2010, 11:36 PM   #13
Quaka Wacka
Ifish Nate

Thanks for all the great input. I like the idea of rebuilding an old trashed one vs building from scratch. Hopefully it works out.

Alex
Old 02-12-2010, 08:36 AM   #14
mstarck
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB-1 View Post
Speedy
That looks like an awesome setup. How much for a set of brackets. The anchor capstain, I'll check what they go for in the westmarine catalog tomorrow. That would work well for crab?
Chris
503-602-9978

Chris , You have mail.

mike