Size of Green Label Herring ??????? - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Community

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2010, 08:14 AM   #1
BerettaMan
Tuna!
 
BerettaMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Hammond, Portland
Posts: 1,021
Default Size of Green Label Herring ???????

I recently bought a 1/2 case of Puget Sound green label herring and they seem a little big. I had some left over herring (Walmart brand) from last season and they are much smaller.

My Green label measures 6 3/4" , the old stuff is 5 3/4".

Does anyone know what size green label should measure?

BerettaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-06-2010, 08:30 AM   #2
wiser
Ifish Nate
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: SW Gresham (Filbert Hill)
Posts: 2,574
Default Re: Size of Green Label Herring ???????

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerettaMan View Post
I recently bought a 1/2 case of Puget Sound green label herring and they seem a little big. I had some left over herring (Walmart brand) from last season and they are much smaller.

My Green label measures 6 3/4" , the old stuff is 5 3/4".

Does anyone know what size green label should measure?
(1) Trolling:
In trolling here you will be using basic estuary gear using 8'6" or 9' rods. It usually will mean using herring in the green label (5"-6")size. If green label are not available then go down to the red label (4"-5") before going up to the blue labels (6"-7"). It seems more fish are caught in 12-25 of water. If you are on the water & keep your eyes & binoculars working, you will observe just about any type of gear. Do not use rod holders, but hold onto your rod. The method is drag the lure just off the bottom, with have your reel drag set lighter than normal, with the clicker on. Let the fish take the lure & pull line out before you set the hook. Constantly watch the rod tip for the tell-tale tap-tap of the sinker on the bottom. Adjust you line either in or out to keep the lure on the bottom. When using bait, you should consider injecting it with either anchovy or herring scent.
wiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 08:33 AM   #3
Smj
Ifish Nate
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Portland OR.
Posts: 3,478
Default Re: Size of Green Label Herring ???????

Green labels are larger this year, red labels are larger this year.
This is just the way it is...This year. I'd say from what I've heard so far, you may be lucky you got green labels.

Smj
__________________
Member# 332
Smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 09:45 AM   #4
5-Cents
King Salmon
 
5-Cents's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Beaverton
Posts: 11,137
Default Re: Size of Green Label Herring ???????

Herring are sized into color groupings based on the harvest and will vary in size from year to year. I had 1 pack of greens from last year from Puget Sound Bait and they are just about the same size as reds from this year... I am glad I got 3 cases of reds!
__________________
It is better to say, "This one thing I do" than to say, "These forty things I dabble in."
--- Washington Gladden

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing. ~Babylonian Proverb

http://twitter.com/5CentZ
5-Cents is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 10:53 AM   #5
DogZilla15
King Salmon
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 15,009
Default Re: Size of Green Label Herring ???????

Those Green Lables are going to be a real mouthful for for 15/20 lb springers. Better plug cut a little short and make sure you've got that third hook dangling just beyond the tail.

One thing nice about the Reds, you can run 'em whole or plug cut. A whole green lable might result in a lot of long line releases or missed bites.
DogZilla15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 02:07 PM   #6
fishing is life
Ifish Nate
 
fishing is life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Felida boat ramp WA
Posts: 2,425
Default Re: Size of Green Label Herring ???????

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerettaMan View Post
I recently bought a 1/2 case of Puget Sound green label herring and they seem a little big. I had some left over herring (Walmart brand) from last season and they are much smaller.

My Green label measures 6 3/4" , the old stuff is 5 3/4".

Does anyone know what size green label should measure?
Those sound like last years puget green labels or you got real lucky. if they are recently harvested from the net pens this year I have puget reds from this year to trade you, my reds are 5 3/4 to 6. Let me know if you can get more of the real puget greens from this year.

There are a lot of green around avail from canada this year you just gotta look/call around. They do run a bit smaller than puget greens , but the puget reds are almost as big as most of the canadian green I seen this year and better quality.
__________________
James, Jim, Jimmy, Wuster, just dont call me late for fishing

peace, love, happiness, and fishing

Wu-tang fishing clan
fishing is life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 02:50 PM   #7
Dinikin
Tuna!
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Portland
Posts: 1,507
Default Re: Size of Green Label Herring ???????

All depends,
4 cookies, on whole blues last year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogZilla15 View Post
Those Green Lables are going to be a real mouthful for for 15/20 lb springers. Better plug cut a little short and make sure you've got that third hook dangling just beyond the tail.

One thing nice about the Reds, you can run 'em whole or plug cut. A whole green lable might result in a lot of long line releases or missed bites.
Dinikin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 03:00 PM   #8
5-Cents
King Salmon
 
5-Cents's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Beaverton
Posts: 11,137
Default Re: Size of Green Label Herring ???????

Personally I dont buy that the greens are too big... heck, blues work fine for springers - I used them for years and caught plenty of fish.
__________________
It is better to say, "This one thing I do" than to say, "These forty things I dabble in."
--- Washington Gladden

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing. ~Babylonian Proverb

http://twitter.com/5CentZ
5-Cents is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 03:30 PM   #9
Snake_River
Steelhead
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Spokane
Posts: 348
Default Re: Size of Green Label Herring ???????

Below is the standard for herring + an associated hook size for each.....

Label color Herring size Hook sizes
Orange 3.5 – 4 inch 1/0 – 2/0
Red 4 – 5 inch 2/0 – 3/0
Green 5 – 6 inch 3/0 – 4/0
Blue 7 – 8 inch 4/0 – 5/0
Black 9 – 10 inch 5/0 – 6/0
Snake_River is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 03:39 PM   #10
BerettaMan
Tuna!
 
BerettaMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Hammond, Portland
Posts: 1,021
Default Re: Size of Green Label Herring ???????

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishing is life View Post
Those sound like last years puget green labels or you got real lucky. if they are recently harvested from the net pens this year I have puget reds from this year to trade you, my reds are 5 3/4 to 6. Let me know if you can get more of the real puget greens from this year.

There are a lot of green around avail from canada this year you just gotta look/call around. They do run a bit smaller than puget greens , but the puget reds are almost as big as most of the canadian green I seen this year and better quality.
I bought these 1 month ago and was told they were from this year, the bait looks perfect with full long tail fins. Some of bait may be 6 1/4" with some going almost 7". I have been told that Puget Sound keeps strict guidlines for packaging so whats up????

Last edited by BerettaMan; 02-07-2010 at 03:05 PM.
BerettaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 06:45 PM   #11
bonjoevi2000
Chromer
 
bonjoevi2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Milwaukie
Posts: 644
Default Re: Size of Green Label Herring ???????

My green labels are 5 3/4in. Jerrys Bait from Chimacum Wa., my Aunt gave me 5 Doz. I was thinking how Buzz Ramsey say's "big herring for big fish",? I am going to troll herring soon, but I dont want to waste them just yet. Maybe next Month ? Meanwhile Im drowning prawns with no success, out 2 for 0, maybe tommorow my luck will change.
__________________
Everyday is Christmas,Every meal is Thanksgiving. Ironworker Local#29
bonjoevi2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 08:30 PM   #12
Johnny Bowles
Default Re: Size of Green Label Herring ???????

Put those bad boys in front of a snapper & I guarantee you will get the BITE.
If you don't like em show me a pic of the frozen bait !

Johnny B
__________________
JB & Water Sportfishing Johnny Bowles Light Tackle sportfishing in Tillamook Bay and OCEAN! Booking for Salmon, now!
WE HOOK EM - YOU COOK EM
503.322.FISH ( 3474 )

FETHA STYX RODS
AVET REELS

Ifish member # 305

John Bowles Real Estate
Real Estate Biz for 30 years
503.812.FISH (3474)
Johnny Bowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 09:18 PM   #13
12pulls
King Salmon
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Just east of Poverty Gulch
Posts: 6,608
Default Re: Size of Green Label Herring ???????

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-Cents View Post
Personally I dont buy that the greens are too big... heck, blues work fine for springers - I used them for years and caught plenty of fish.
I agree, it really doesn't matter as long as it is properly rigged, scented, and in good shape.
12pulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 09:52 PM   #14
Opine
Steelhead
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 269
Default Re: Size of Green Label Herring ???????

LIES.......LIES....ALL LIES(Austin Powers the movie)PUGET SOUND herring is no good and not worth using. I personally had 2 cases of green label to use in the next few month's spring salmon fishery and after you pointed out the flaws in the size i immediately dumped them in the dumpster. Good ridden that was a close one, and to think i was going to catch fish with that stuff just who was i kidding....throw it out while there is still time..
Scott: Mom?Frau: Scott, you are my love child with Dr. Evil.Scott: I thought I was a test-tube baby.Frau: Lies. All LIES!!!(Jerry Springer and the audience react ala Dr evil
__________________
Im good enough im smart enough and gosh darn it people like me.
Opine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 12:05 PM   #15
DogZilla15
King Salmon
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 15,009
Default Re: Size of Green Label Herring ???????

5 Cents.

In total agreement, big baits get hit just like all the others. For someone like yourself who has substantially more skill than the average Joe, you'll catch fish on whatever you dunk in the water. You know just where to put the hooks and how to get the right action on the bait, You also have the feel for feeding the bait to the fish and don't yank it away before the fish really has it. Your skill allows you to get more hookups per bite and my comment on smaller baits was geared more toward the average fisherman.
DogZilla15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 12:10 PM   #16
salmonfisher77
Ifish Nate
 
salmonfisher77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 2,677
Default Re: Size of Green Label Herring ???????

I try to use a HUGE bait so I can leave those cookie cutters AKA Wind River fish to you to catch!!! I will continue fishing ONLY for the big one!!!

Dog, you are very right about letting them EAT the bait and let them do there thing, turn and hook themselves!! I stopped grabbing the rod and waiting for line to peel and put much better numbers in the box!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogZilla15 View Post
5 Cents.

In total agreement, big baits get hit just like all the others. For someone like yourself who has substantially more skill than the average Joe, you'll catch fish on whatever you dunk in the water. You know just where to put the hooks and how to get the right action on the bait, You also have the feel for feeding the bait to the fish and don't yank it away before the fish really has it. Your skill allows you to get more hookups per bite and my comment on smaller baits was geared more toward the average fisherman.
__________________
If we shouldn't eat animals, why are they made of meat?
salmonfisher77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 12:26 PM   #17
wayout
Sturgeon
 
wayout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Vancouver, WA
Posts: 3,641
Default Re: Size of Green Label Herring ???????

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-Cents View Post
Personally I dont buy that the greens are too big... heck, blues work fine for springers - I used them for years and caught plenty of fish.
Blues still work. At least they did last year. Easier for the salmon to see, and a nice morsel for a 15 lb springer. They won't turn it down because it's an inch longer.
__________________
Get Me Out of Here and Let's Go Fishing!!
wayout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 12:46 PM   #18
slabhunter
Sturgeon
 
slabhunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Bayshore
Posts: 4,644
Default Re: Size of Green Label Herring ???????

I believe the green labels are more chunky this year. I purchased 12 of the Grays Harbor green labels.

Might just tie up a bunch of 5/0 Mustad 92604 leaders to drag them weenies.
__________________
"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
slabhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 03:13 PM   #19
BerettaMan
Tuna!
 
BerettaMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Hammond, Portland
Posts: 1,021
Default Re: Size of Green Label Herring ???????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opine View Post
LIES.......LIES....ALL LIES(Austin Powers the movie)PUGET SOUND herring is no good and not worth using. I personally had 2 cases of green label to use in the next few month's spring salmon fishery and after you pointed out the flaws in the size i immediately dumped them in the dumpster. Good ridden that was a close one, and to think i was going to catch fish with that stuff just who was i kidding....throw it out while there is still time..
Scott: Mom?Frau: Scott, you are my love child with Dr. Evil.Scott: I thought I was a test-tube baby.Frau: Lies. All LIES!!!(Jerry Springer and the audience react ala Dr evil
Mr Opine,

I am with you, I just gave mine to the nieghbor lady, she likes to bury them around her tomatos.
Does anyone know where I can get the good greens?

BM
BerettaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 04:45 PM   #20
fergy61
Tuna!
 
fergy61's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: St Helens, OR
Posts: 1,186
Default Re: Size of Green Label Herring ???????

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-Cents View Post
Herring are sized into color groupings based on the harvest and will vary in size from year to year. I had 1 pack of greens from last year from Puget Sound Bait and they are just about the same size as reds from this year... I am glad I got 3 cases of reds!
Holy smokes!! 3 cases?
That's a lot of bait there.
__________________
John 3:16











fergy61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 07:57 AM   #21
5-Cents
King Salmon
 
5-Cents's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Beaverton
Posts: 11,137
Default Re: Size of Green Label Herring ???????

Quote:
Originally Posted by fergy61 View Post
Holy smokes!! 3 cases?
That's a lot of bait there.
I also got 2 cases of blues... now thats a lot of bait! Soon it will be used!
__________________
It is better to say, "This one thing I do" than to say, "These forty things I dabble in."
--- Washington Gladden

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing. ~Babylonian Proverb

http://twitter.com/5CentZ
5-Cents is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 08:23 AM   #22
salmonfisher77
Ifish Nate
 
salmonfisher77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 2,677
Default Re: Size of Green Label Herring ???????

I ordered 5 cases of greens also!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-Cents View Post
I also got 2 cases of blues... now thats a lot of bait! Soon it will be used!
__________________
If we shouldn't eat animals, why are they made of meat?
salmonfisher77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 09:03 AM   #23
Spot
Chromer
 
Spot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Hillsboro, Or, USA
Posts: 650
Default Re: Size of Green Label Herring ???????

Quote:
Originally Posted by salmonfisher77 View Post
I ordered 5 cases of greens also!!!
Admitting you have a problem is the 1st step. Lol!
__________________
No one can tell what a spot of time is until suddenly the whole world is a fish and the fish is gone.
Spot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 11:04 AM   #24
Deanrt
Sturgeon
 
Deanrt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: McMinnville
Posts: 4,343
Default Re: Size of Green Label Herring ???????

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-Cents View Post
Herring are sized into color groupings based on the harvest and will vary in size from year to year. I had 1 pack of greens from last year from Puget Sound Bait and they are just about the same size as reds from this year... I am glad I got 3 cases of reds!

Great, now I wont be able to find red's now much less the greens that I prefer. JK, tight lines to all.
__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Semper Fi, Team ACME, #5724
Deanrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Cast to



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 07:53 AM.

Terms of Service
Page generated in 0.39021 seconds with 45 queries