Size of Green Label Herring ??????? - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Community

Old 02-06-2010, 08:14 AM   #1
BerettaMan
Tuna!

Default Size of Green Label Herring ???????

I recently bought a 1/2 case of Puget Sound green label herring and they seem a little big. I had some left over herring (Walmart brand) from last season and they are much smaller.

My Green label measures 6 3/4" , the old stuff is 5 3/4".

Does anyone know what size green label should measure?

BerettaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2010, 08:30 AM   #2
wiser
Ifish Nate

Default Re: Size of Green Label Herring ???????

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerettaMan View Post
I recently bought a 1/2 case of Puget Sound green label herring and they seem a little big. I had some left over herring (Walmart brand) from last season and they are much smaller.

(1) Trolling:
In trolling here you will be using basic estuary gear using 8'6" or 9' rods. It usually will mean using herring in the green label (5"-6")size. If green label are not available then go down to the red label (4"-5") before going up to the blue labels (6"-7"). It seems more fish are caught in 12-25 of water. If you are on the water & keep your eyes & binoculars working, you will observe just about any type of gear. Do not use rod holders, but hold onto your rod. The method is drag the lure just off the bottom, with have your reel drag set lighter than normal, with the clicker on. Let the fish take the lure & pull line out before you set the hook. Constantly watch the rod tip for the tell-tale tap-tap of the sinker on the bottom. Adjust you line either in or out to keep the lure on the bottom. When using bait, you should consider injecting it with either anchovy or herring scent.
wiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 08:33 AM   #3
Smj
Ifish Nate

Green labels are larger this year, red labels are larger this year.
This is just the way it is...This year. I'd say from what I've heard so far, you may be lucky you got green labels.

Smj
Old 02-06-2010, 09:45 AM   #4
5-Cents
King Salmon

Herring are sized into color groupings based on the harvest and will vary in size from year to year. I had 1 pack of greens from last year from Puget Sound Bait and they are just about the same size as reds from this year... I am glad I got 3 cases of reds!

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing. ~Babylonian Proverb

http://twitter.com/5CentZ
5-Cents is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 10:53 AM   #5
DogZilla15
King Salmon

Those Green Lables are going to be a real mouthful for for 15/20 lb springers. Better plug cut a little short and make sure you've got that third hook dangling just beyond the tail.

One thing nice about the Reds, you can run 'em whole or plug cut. A whole green lable might result in a lot of long line releases or missed bites.
DogZilla15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 02:07 PM   #6
fishing is life
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerettaMan View Post

Those sound like last years puget green labels or you got real lucky. if they are recently harvested from the net pens this year I have puget reds from this year to trade you, my reds are 5 3/4 to 6. Let me know if you can get more of the real puget greens from this year.

There are a lot of green around avail from canada this year you just gotta look/call around. They do run a bit smaller than puget greens , but the puget reds are almost as big as most of the canadian green I seen this year and better quality.

peace, love, happiness, and fishing

Wu-tang fishing clan
fishing is life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 02:50 PM   #7
Dinikin
Tuna!

All depends,
4 cookies, on whole blues last year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogZilla15 View Post
Those Green Lables are going to be a real mouthful for for 15/20 lb springers. Better plug cut a little short and make sure you've got that third hook dangling just beyond the tail.

One thing nice about the Reds, you can run 'em whole or plug cut. A whole green lable might result in a lot of long line releases or missed bites.
Dinikin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 03:00 PM   #8
5-Cents
King Salmon

Personally I dont buy that the greens are too big... heck, blues work fine for springers - I used them for years and caught plenty of fish.

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing. ~Babylonian Proverb

Old 02-06-2010, 03:30 PM   #9
Snake_River
Steelhead

Below is the standard for herring + an associated hook size for each.....

Label color Herring size Hook sizes
Orange 3.5 – 4 inch 1/0 – 2/0
Red 4 – 5 inch 2/0 – 3/0
Green 5 – 6 inch 3/0 – 4/0
Blue 7 – 8 inch 4/0 – 5/0
Black 9 – 10 inch 5/0 – 6/0
Snake_River is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 03:39 PM   #10
BerettaMan
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishing is life View Post
Those sound like last years puget green labels or you got real lucky. if they are recently harvested from the net pens this year I have puget reds from this year to trade you, my reds are 5 3/4 to 6. Let me know if you can get more of the real puget greens from this year.

There are a lot of green around avail from canada this year you just gotta look/call around. They do run a bit smaller than puget greens , but the puget reds are almost as big as most of the canadian green I seen this year and better quality.
I bought these 1 month ago and was told they were from this year, the bait looks perfect with full long tail fins. Some of bait may be 6 1/4" with some going almost 7". I have been told that Puget Sound keeps strict guidlines for packaging so whats up????

Last edited by BerettaMan; 02-07-2010 at 03:05 PM.
Old 02-06-2010, 06:45 PM   #11
bonjoevi2000
Chromer

My green labels are 5 3/4in. Jerrys Bait from Chimacum Wa., my Aunt gave me 5 Doz. I was thinking how Buzz Ramsey say's "big herring for big fish",? I am going to troll herring soon, but I dont want to waste them just yet. Maybe next Month ? Meanwhile Im drowning prawns with no success, out 2 for 0, maybe tommorow my luck will change.
Everyday is Christmas,Every meal is Thanksgiving. Ironworker Local#29
bonjoevi2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 08:30 PM   #12
Johnny Bowles

Put those bad boys in front of a snapper & I guarantee you will get the BITE.
If you don't like em show me a pic of the frozen bait !

Johnny B

FETHA STYX RODS
AVET REELS

Ifish member # 305

John Bowles Real Estate
Real Estate Biz for 30 years
503.812.FISH (3474)
Johnny Bowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 09:18 PM   #13
12pulls
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-Cents View Post
Personally I dont buy that the greens are too big... heck, blues work fine for springers - I used them for years and caught plenty of fish.
I agree, it really doesn't matter as long as it is properly rigged, scented, and in good shape.
12pulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 09:52 PM   #14
Opine
Steelhead

LIES.......LIES....ALL LIES(Austin Powers the movie)PUGET SOUND herring is no good and not worth using. I personally had 2 cases of green label to use in the next few month's spring salmon fishery and after you pointed out the flaws in the size i immediately dumped them in the dumpster. Good ridden that was a close one, and to think i was going to catch fish with that stuff just who was i kidding....throw it out while there is still time..
Scott: Mom?Frau: Scott, you are my love child with Dr. Evil.Scott: I thought I was a test-tube baby.Frau: Lies. All LIES!!!(Jerry Springer and the audience react ala Dr evil
Old 02-07-2010, 12:05 PM   #15
DogZilla15
King Salmon

5 Cents.

In total agreement, big baits get hit just like all the others. For someone like yourself who has substantially more skill than the average Joe, you'll catch fish on whatever you dunk in the water. You know just where to put the hooks and how to get the right action on the bait, You also have the feel for feeding the bait to the fish and don't yank it away before the fish really has it. Your skill allows you to get more hookups per bite and my comment on smaller baits was geared more toward the average fisherman.
DogZilla15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 12:10 PM   #16
salmonfisher77
Ifish Nate

I try to use a HUGE bait so I can leave those cookie cutters AKA Wind River fish to you to catch!!! I will continue fishing ONLY for the big one!!!

Dog, you are very right about letting them EAT the bait and let them do there thing, turn and hook themselves!! I stopped grabbing the rod and waiting for line to peel and put much better numbers in the box!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogZilla15 View Post
5 Cents.

In total agreement, big baits get hit just like all the others. For someone like yourself who has substantially more skill than the average Joe, you'll catch fish on whatever you dunk in the water. You know just where to put the hooks and how to get the right action on the bait, You also have the feel for feeding the bait to the fish and don't yank it away before the fish really has it. Your skill allows you to get more hookups per bite and my comment on smaller baits was geared more toward the average fisherman.
Old 02-07-2010, 12:26 PM   #17
wayout
Sturgeon

Quote:
Blues still work. At least they did last year. Easier for the salmon to see, and a nice morsel for a 15 lb springer. They won't turn it down because it's an inch longer.
Old 02-07-2010, 12:46 PM   #18
slabhunter
Sturgeon

I believe the green labels are more chunky this year. I purchased 12 of the Grays Harbor green labels.

Might just tie up a bunch of 5/0 Mustad 92604 leaders to drag them weenies.
Old 02-07-2010, 03:13 PM   #19
BerettaMan
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opine View Post
LIES.......LIES....ALL LIES(Austin Powers the movie)PUGET SOUND herring is no good and not worth using. I personally had 2 cases of green label to use in the next few month's spring salmon fishery and after you pointed out the flaws in the size i immediately dumped them in the dumpster. Good ridden that was a close one, and to think i was going to catch fish with that stuff just who was i kidding....throw it out while there is still time..
Scott: Mom?Frau: Scott, you are my love child with Dr. Evil.Scott: I thought I was a test-tube baby.Frau: Lies. All LIES!!!(Jerry Springer and the audience react ala Dr evil
Mr Opine,

I am with you, I just gave mine to the nieghbor lady, she likes to bury them around her tomatos.
Does anyone know where I can get the good greens?

BM
Old 02-07-2010, 04:45 PM   #20
fergy61
Tuna!

Quote:
Herring are sized into color groupings based on the harvest and will vary in size from year to year. I had 1 pack of greens from last year from Puget Sound Bait and they are just about the same size as reds from this year... I am glad I got 3 cases of reds!
Holy smokes!! 3 cases?
That's a lot of bait there.
John 3:16

fergy61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 07:57 AM   #21
5-Cents
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by fergy61 View Post
Holy smokes!! 3 cases?
That's a lot of bait there.
I also got 2 cases of blues... now thats a lot of bait! Soon it will be used!

Old 02-08-2010, 08:23 AM   #22
salmonfisher77
Ifish Nate

I ordered 5 cases of greens also!!!
Quote:
I also got 2 cases of blues... now thats a lot of bait! Soon it will be used!
Old 02-08-2010, 09:03 AM   #23
Spot
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by salmonfisher77 View Post
I ordered 5 cases of greens also!!!
Admitting you have a problem is the 1st step. Lol!
Old 02-08-2010, 11:04 AM   #24
Deanrt
Sturgeon

Quote:

Great, now I wont be able to find red's now much less the greens that I prefer. JK, tight lines to all.
Semper Fi, Team ACME, #5724
Deanrt is offline   Reply With Quote