Woodburn Pond - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Bass and Panfish!

Old 02-02-2010, 02:57 PM   #1
SOBass
Steelhead

Default Woodburn Pond

Does anyone have a positive report from woodburn pond in the past couple years. All I have come across is "no fish" and "filled with weeds".

SOBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 08:28 AM   #2
brackshooter
Steelhead

Default Re: Woodburn Pond

I fished there once about 6 years ago in my float tube. It is so shallow in 90% of the pond, you could walk around on your knees! Honestly dont know how anything survives in there, caught a few 10 inchers, I would go elsewhere if I were you, I wont be back....
brackshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 10:55 AM   #3
SOBass
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by brackshooter View Post
I fished there once about 6 years ago in my float tube. It is so shallow in 90% of the pond, you could walk around on your knees! Honestly dont know how anything survives in there, caught a few 10 inchers, I would go elsewhere if I were you, I wont be back....
Thanks. It sounds like there used to be a few decent fish in there but not for quite a few years.
Old 02-03-2010, 01:56 PM   #4
Lamplighter
Chromer

Try a quick search on iFisher "KevinsDriftboat" for several recent updates on Canby pond...

But maybe that is a different pond ???
Lamplighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 02:44 PM   #5
brackshooter
Steelhead

different pond....
brackshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 06:44 AM   #6
SOBass
Steelhead

Yes, different pond. you must be 17 or younger to fish the canby pond (or disabled).
Old 02-04-2010, 06:51 AM   #7

Woodburn is a seriously technical warm water fishery, if you know it well it produces.
12244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 07:44 AM   #8
SOBass
Steelhead

Thank you. I've read that shallow ponds can be decent in colder weather conditions. Do you think this could hold true with this pond?
Old 02-04-2010, 10:04 PM   #9
Ryan808
Steelhead

Shallow ponds are also more predictable. Shallower ponds have a tendency to change temps quicker in certain area, making the bass movement easier to figure out. I've had a lot of luck targeting shallower ponds in California, the key rule.... Let the sun tell you where to fish. I passed by Woodburn pond last week and the place looks promissing, I'll have to take the toon out and comb the whole pond. I saw the gate was closed which makes a long walk to the far end of the pond, anyone know when the gate will open up?
Ryan808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 12:08 PM   #10
Troutinator
Tuna!

I'm trying to figure out if you guys are talking about St. Louis Ponds outside of Gervais, SW of Woodburn? Or is there another pond I haven't found after living in Woodburn for 20 years or so?
If we're talking St. Louis Ponds then it's important to know there are big differences in the SEVEN ponds on the property. Take some time to learn which ones are 3' deep and which are 15' deep. There is seven miles of shoreline around these seven ponds... you have to learn where the fish hang just like you would along 7 miles of any body of water.
Unfortunately, there is no scheduled stocking for either St. Louis or Canby Ponds on the ODFW website as of today. I hope that is just an oversite. Or maybe they are going to keep it as a warmwater fishery only. I can live with that too!
The following links may be helpful. Check out that old grouch on the second one...

http://www.dfw.state.or.us/fish/easy...e/st_louis.asp
http://www.salem-news.com/articles/a...ds_4-20-09.php
Old 02-09-2010, 12:12 PM   #11
SOBass
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troutinator View Post
I'm trying to figure out if you guys are talking about St. Louis Ponds outside of Gervais, SW of Woodburn? Or is there another pond I haven't found after living in Woodburn for 20 years or so?
If we're talking St. Louis Ponds then it's important to know there are big differences in the SEVEN ponds on the property. Take some time to learn which ones are 3' deep and which are 15' deep. There is seven miles of shoreline around these seven ponds... you have to learn where the fish hang just like you would along 7 miles of any body of water.
Unfortunately, there is no scheduled stocking for either St. Louis or Canby Ponds on the ODFW website as of today. I hope that is just an oversite. Or maybe they are going to keep it as a warmwater fishery only. I can live with that too!
The following links may be helpful. Check out that old grouch on the second one...

http://www.dfw.state.or.us/fish/easy...e/st_louis.asp
http://www.salem-news.com/articles/a...ds_4-20-09.php
No, not St. Louis. While I have never been to Woodburn pond, I can tell you it is North of the Woodburn exit on the east side of the freeway, right next to the weigh station I believe. I had not heard of it til recently myself.
Old 02-09-2010, 05:30 PM   #12
Ryan808
Steelhead

I believe this is the pond: http://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF8&...,0.041842&z=15
Ryan808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 05:54 PM   #13
mpmax
Chromer

The easiest way to get to Woodburn Pond is on Crosby Rd just before it crosses I-5. There is a gate there that is rarely closed since several houses are on the road. The pond itself is located just behind the North bound truck scales N. of the Woodburn exit on I-5. Nearest cross street is Boones Ferry and Crosby Rd. I've taken the kids and canoe in there late summer last 2 years. It was seriously weed choked. Could be good bass habitat. Lots of fishing lines snagged around, don't bring a dog to swim, you'll be pulling hooks.
mpmax is offline   Reply With Quote