shakespeare/ugly stick warranty?? - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Community

Old 01-30-2010, 10:56 AM   #1
dampainter
Ifish Nate

Default shakespeare/ugly stick warranty??

I bought a 12 foot big water ugly stick at bi-mart a year ago in march, the upper half`s inside wraps are coming apart. I took it to bi-mart and was told they have a instore 2 month replacement but since it is over the two month period but still has a five year shakepeare warranty I have to send it in to shakespeare? anyone do this? seems that shipping may cost as much as just buying another rod? and where would I find a tube to fit the rod short of getting some cardboard and making my own, what a hassle and seems like a ripoff.
mark lafaive...dampainter

Last edited by dampainter; 01-30-2010 at 10:57 AM.
dampainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 11:01 AM   #2
salmonsteelheadsam
Tuna!

Default Re: shakespeare/ugly stick warranty??

Quote:
Originally Posted by dampainter View Post
I bought a 12 foot big water ugly stick at bi-mart a year ago in march, the upper half`s inside wraps are coming apart. I took it to bi-mart and was told they have a instore 2 month replacement but since it is over the two month period but still has a five year shakepeare warranty I have to send it in to shakespeare? anyone do this? seems that shipping may cost as much as just buying another rod? and where would I find a tube to fit the rod short of getting some cardboard and making my own, what a hassle and seems like a ripoff.
mark lafaive...dampainter

i think fishermans will honor that warranty ive seen guys in there with beat up old ugly sticks getting replaced
salmonsteelheadsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 11:12 AM   #3
dampainter
Ifish Nate

called fishermens and was told since it was bought at a location other than their store it would be up to the manager and i would have to bring it in....too far for me to go, maybe some other time when i have other stuff to do there. thanks for the info though.
Old 01-30-2010, 11:53 AM   #4
phamf
Chromer

You can get white PVC tubes and end caps at a hardware store or fold your own out of cardboard. Just a fyi, shipping will be around $25-$30.

Although I've never dealt with Shakespere for rod replacements, I have purchased and shipped 2 piece surf rods between 12' -13'.
Old 01-30-2010, 12:49 PM   #5
Adrenaline Junkey
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamf View Post
You can get white PVC tubes and end caps at a hardware store or fold your own out of cardboard. Just a fyi, shipping will be around $25-$30.

Although I've never dealt with Shakespere for rod replacements, I have purchased and shipped 2 piece surf rods between 12' -13'.

I have had to do it before and it takes about 3 weeks to get it back. Had to pay shipping both ways but why worry about how safe it is on the way there just insure it against being lost. go to a carpet place and pick up some old cardboard tubes put it in bent the ends closed and tape.
Adrenaline Junkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 07:13 PM   #6
dampainter
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline Junkey View Post
I have had to do it before and it takes about 3 weeks to get it back. Had to pay shipping both ways but why worry about how safe it is on the way there just insure it against being lost. go to a carpet place and pick up some old cardboard tubes put it in bent the ends closed and tape.
i wrapped the rod with old cardboard i found, how much was your shipping?
Old 01-30-2010, 09:12 PM   #7
Adrenaline Junkey
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by dampainter View Post
i wrapped the rod with old cardboard i found, how much was your shipping?
If i rember right I sent fed ex It was a 9 foot fly rod and it wasnt bad it was around 10 $
Here is a copy of the email they sent me when i contacted them.

Thank you for taking the time to contact us about your fishing rod. Unfortunately, we do not have a repair center for rods and also do not have any replacement parts. If your rod failed due to a manufacturing defect and is still under warranty, we will be happy to replace it with a new rod of the same or comparable model.

This rod carries a 5 or 7 year warranty against manufacturing defects.

If your rod is within the original warranty period, we will need to inspect your rod to determine the nature of the break. Rods NOT covered under warranty can be submitted for replacement for a nominal fee, but it will be necessary to contact us for charges and details. Call us at 800-347-3759 (Customer Services) M-F 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. CST.

It is recommended that you return your rod to us by U.P.S. or Fed-Ex (keep your tracking number). Package your rod in a disposable container, because we do not return rod tubes. Include a brief description on how your rod broke, when it was purchased and a daytime phone number along with your full name and physical address for Fed-Ex return delivery. We CANNOT return to a P.O. BOX. If you mail your rod, please be sure to register it for tracking. Send your complete damaged rod, dated sales receipt (if you are unable to find your receipt include the approximate date of purchase) and a check or money order for $9.95 per rod for postage and handling payable to Pure Fishing to the following address:

Pure Fishing

1900 - 18th Street
Spirit Lake, IA 51360
Attn: Customer Service
Adrenaline Junkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 05:04 AM   #8
crawdad
Chromer

I've had a couple different fly shops give me cardboard rod tubes for free over the years. I just went in and asked. Might be worth a shot if you have one close by. I think they usually just recycle them.
crawdad is offline   Reply With Quote