shakespeare/ugly stick warranty?? - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Community

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2010, 10:56 AM   #1
dampainter
Ifish Nate
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: deschutes river country
Posts: 2,397
Default shakespeare/ugly stick warranty??

I bought a 12 foot big water ugly stick at bi-mart a year ago in march, the upper half`s inside wraps are coming apart. I took it to bi-mart and was told they have a instore 2 month replacement but since it is over the two month period but still has a five year shakepeare warranty I have to send it in to shakespeare? anyone do this? seems that shipping may cost as much as just buying another rod? and where would I find a tube to fit the rod short of getting some cardboard and making my own, what a hassle and seems like a ripoff.
mark lafaive...dampainter

__________________
Fish all of it and then some

Last edited by dampainter; 01-30-2010 at 10:57 AM.
dampainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 11:01 AM   #2
salmonsteelheadsam
Tuna!
 
salmonsteelheadsam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: s.e. portland
Posts: 1,982
Default Re: shakespeare/ugly stick warranty??

Quote:
Originally Posted by dampainter View Post
I bought a 12 foot big water ugly stick at bi-mart a year ago in march, the upper half`s inside wraps are coming apart. I took it to bi-mart and was told they have a instore 2 month replacement but since it is over the two month period but still has a five year shakepeare warranty I have to send it in to shakespeare? anyone do this? seems that shipping may cost as much as just buying another rod? and where would I find a tube to fit the rod short of getting some cardboard and making my own, what a hassle and seems like a ripoff.
mark lafaive...dampainter

i think fishermans will honor that warranty ive seen guys in there with beat up old ugly sticks getting replaced
salmonsteelheadsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 11:12 AM   #3
dampainter
Ifish Nate
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: deschutes river country
Posts: 2,397
Default Re: shakespeare/ugly stick warranty??

called fishermens and was told since it was bought at a location other than their store it would be up to the manager and i would have to bring it in....too far for me to go, maybe some other time when i have other stuff to do there. thanks for the info though.
__________________
Fish all of it and then some
dampainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 11:53 AM   #4
phamf
Chromer
 
phamf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Portland
Posts: 759
Default Re: shakespeare/ugly stick warranty??

You can get white PVC tubes and end caps at a hardware store or fold your own out of cardboard. Just a fyi, shipping will be around $25-$30.

Although I've never dealt with Shakespere for rod replacements, I have purchased and shipped 2 piece surf rods between 12' -13'.
__________________
Skunked Fishermen club
Now accepting new members
phamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 12:49 PM   #5
Adrenaline Junkey
Steelhead
 
Adrenaline Junkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Heyburn Idaho
Posts: 179
Default Re: shakespeare/ugly stick warranty??

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamf View Post
You can get white PVC tubes and end caps at a hardware store or fold your own out of cardboard. Just a fyi, shipping will be around $25-$30.

Although I've never dealt with Shakespere for rod replacements, I have purchased and shipped 2 piece surf rods between 12' -13'.

I have had to do it before and it takes about 3 weeks to get it back. Had to pay shipping both ways but why worry about how safe it is on the way there just insure it against being lost. go to a carpet place and pick up some old cardboard tubes put it in bent the ends closed and tape.
Adrenaline Junkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 07:13 PM   #6
dampainter
Ifish Nate
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: deschutes river country
Posts: 2,397
Default Re: shakespeare/ugly stick warranty??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline Junkey View Post
I have had to do it before and it takes about 3 weeks to get it back. Had to pay shipping both ways but why worry about how safe it is on the way there just insure it against being lost. go to a carpet place and pick up some old cardboard tubes put it in bent the ends closed and tape.
i wrapped the rod with old cardboard i found, how much was your shipping?
__________________
Fish all of it and then some
dampainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 09:12 PM   #7
Adrenaline Junkey
Steelhead
 
Adrenaline Junkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Heyburn Idaho
Posts: 179
Default Re: shakespeare/ugly stick warranty??

Quote:
Originally Posted by dampainter View Post
i wrapped the rod with old cardboard i found, how much was your shipping?
If i rember right I sent fed ex It was a 9 foot fly rod and it wasnt bad it was around 10 $
Here is a copy of the email they sent me when i contacted them.

Thank you for taking the time to contact us about your fishing rod. Unfortunately, we do not have a repair center for rods and also do not have any replacement parts. If your rod failed due to a manufacturing defect and is still under warranty, we will be happy to replace it with a new rod of the same or comparable model.

This rod carries a 5 or 7 year warranty against manufacturing defects.

If your rod is within the original warranty period, we will need to inspect your rod to determine the nature of the break. Rods NOT covered under warranty can be submitted for replacement for a nominal fee, but it will be necessary to contact us for charges and details. Call us at 800-347-3759 (Customer Services) M-F 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. CST.

It is recommended that you return your rod to us by U.P.S. or Fed-Ex (keep your tracking number). Package your rod in a disposable container, because we do not return rod tubes. Include a brief description on how your rod broke, when it was purchased and a daytime phone number along with your full name and physical address for Fed-Ex return delivery. We CANNOT return to a P.O. BOX. If you mail your rod, please be sure to register it for tracking. Send your complete damaged rod, dated sales receipt (if you are unable to find your receipt include the approximate date of purchase) and a check or money order for $9.95 per rod for postage and handling payable to Pure Fishing to the following address:


Pure Fishing

1900 - 18th Street
Spirit Lake, IA 51360
Attn: Customer Service
Adrenaline Junkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 05:04 AM   #8
crawdad
Chromer
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Posts: 547
Default Re: shakespeare/ugly stick warranty??

I've had a couple different fly shops give me cardboard rod tubes for free over the years. I just went in and asked. Might be worth a shot if you have one close by. I think they usually just recycle them.
crawdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Cast to



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 03:51 AM.

Terms of Service
Page generated in 0.24534 seconds with 28 queries