IFish Fishing Forum banner

Tattoo's

32K views 158 replies 68 participants last post by  Maddie'sDaddy 
#1 ·
Who has them? I have several, got a new one friday that I really like.

See less See more
#2 ·
I have two sleeves, both legs are covered, chest plate, whole left hand and palm, "Unscarred" across the belly, left rib cage, tops of feet, medium size piece on my left(or is it right?) shoulder blade, and one on my "who-ha" Dont regret any of em! started at 18, so been working on em for 10 years now, got one more that I want which is my two sons portraits. BTW, Love the graffitti! keep it up! art is great

#9 ·
Man I still just don't understand why anyone would want to do that? Not judging at all I GUESS I AM JUST OLD AND DON"T GET IT!

Okay you made me do it.....now days young people in general seem to need to get a tatoo to make a statement I guess or gain respect? Or is it just all for fun or art? It used to be in my day you worked harder than the other guy/ out toughed him physically or with work ethic to gain your own self respect and then earned the respect of others? Marking up ones body to feel different/gain respect/whatever just seems so superficial really....I just don't understand/respect that? Does that make you feel like a man or something/ earn you respect?

I'm probably just cranky/old/overthinking it so I'm relying on you young guys set me straight! Why do you guys get tattoos anyway?

#11 ·
Man I still just don't understand why anyone would want to do that? Not judging at all I GUESS I AM JUST OLD AND DON"T GET IT!

Okay you made me do it.....now days young people in general seem to need to get a tatoo to make a statement I guess or gain respect? Or is it just all for fun or art? It used to be in my day you worked harder than the other guy/ out toughed him physically or with work ethic to gain your own self respect and then earned the respect of others? Marking up ones body to feel different/gain respect/whatever just seems so superficial really....I just don't understand/respect that? Does that make you feel like a man or something/ earn you respect?

I'm probably just cranky/old/overthinking it so I'm relying on you young guys set me straight! Why do you guys get tattoos anyway?
I know a lot of people get tattoos with meaning and are original just for them. I'm not covered but I have a few. No meaning to any of them, just got em for the fun of it. I also have multiple piercings also just for the heck of it. Some will say that is rediculous.... I say there is probably at least one thing that they do that I would see as rediculous.:)

G
#10 · (Edited)
LMAO.....I'm 51,52 in a couple of months and my tatts say plenty. I agree that tattoos and piercings don't mean what they used to but as an old dude...My earring and Harley flyer turned heads back in the day. No eye to eye mind you ,lol, but turned heads all the same. Pirates..outlaws..sailors are anything but superficial but luckily we don't care what most folk think and if I choose to curtsy most men would not laugh, at least not until they were far enough away to feel "manly" enough to.

both inner forearms and left breast plate. 2 drawn by me and one mid evil classic

#12 ·
i am going to get my first tattoo later this year sometime. i already have in mind what i want to get, getting it on my right shoulder, will have my kids names involved in it, so there will be some meaning behind getting it, something that will be cool for years to come.

#15 ·
I believe you will find like with many things that some do it for status quo and some do it because it really means something to them, My wife has some and they mean something dear to her, she got one when her mother passed and also got a Breast Cancer awareness ribbon when her sister was diagnosed with Breast Cancer which took her life this past Thanksgiving, I enjoy seeing it and can appreciate it when it truly means something but when you see the younger generation just full of them and they don't mean a thing to them i can't.

I have seen guys on the river with a 50.000 dollar boat who obviously only got it for people to say Ooh Ahh, and then there are the guys with the same boat who use it like its intended.

I plan on getting one sometime in the near future and know exactly what i want and it means something to me.

MD

#16 · (Edited)
Baitslinger, I can't speak for everyone, just myself and the folks I've known throughout the years. People get ink for different reasons. I have several and have the design for my next one. All of my tats are original, carefully thought out and every one has a special meaning. They represent something in my life. They are not there for show or to seek admiration or respect. I don't walk into a room and shout "Hey everybody, look at me, I've got tats! Wanna see?" My art was put on my body and paid for by me and I couldn't give a owl's feathered butt what folks think. If people want to debate them, well, then let them get their own. :D

Tats can also bring folks together. I was attending a get together last summer. I've paddled w/some of these really nice folks, but it was pretty clear that we didn't have much in common. They had 2 trays of ice cubes and a few bottles of wine, I brought a huge cooler full of beer (good beer I might add). While they talked about their college days and grown kids I went to the store for more ice. I'm sure they weren't interested in hearing about the bridge jumper I had the day before.:whistle: I suggested a bonfire in the backyard burner, they were more interested in playing croquet and Barry Manilow. :passout:

Here's where it gets cool. One of the gals had her father visiting from Florida and they sat us next to each other. He noticed my tats, asked me about them and showed me all of his. Turns out he's a WWII Navy vet. There we were, a Puddle Pirate and a Squid, sharing our stories, cuz old people always have cool stories:wink: and having a great time!:excited: I was no longer trying to find the Clorox and broken glass nor trying to rush out the door. It ended up being a great evening!:cool:

I would also like to point out that tats aren't just something guys have, we girls have 'em, too, especially us sailors. :cheers:

#17 ·
I have a dragon on the right chest plate. Love the art which I worked with the artist to design. I doubt there is another one like out there just like me, lol. I guess part of it for me is simply the self expression that having it allows. While being a personal choice at the same time.

#18 ·
Funny you say that there is probably not another out there like yours, A friend of ours designed one and had it done and thought it was hers and hers only until she seen a girl at the mall with the exact same tattoo just a little smaller, Apparently the artist placed it in his portfolio and someone else liked it too!!
I would imagine if you had a good relationship with your artist that wouldn't happen but you just never know.

MD

#22 ·
Wow, that's awesome color :applause:

My experience with those that have tattoos is there is always more than one and/or they are already thinking about the next one. Does make a nice conversation starter.

I do tend to fall into the conservative category and think that tattoo's and piercings should be at least somewhat discreet for the workplace.

I would like to get a grizzly on my arm with a a mamma and two cubs on my chest to represent my family. If round ever stops being my shape I might actually do it :cool:

#23 ·
"The biggest difference between people with tattoo's and people with out is, people with tattoos don't care if you have one or not."

I would agree, most people who get one are planning or have another. I have some with deep personal meaning, and some because I see them as art. Some people buy art and hang it on their walls. I choose to back mine on my body. To each his own.

#39 · (Edited)
:yeahthat: got quite a few myself with more on the way - half sleeve, shoulders, calf...all from different artists....3 of my 7ish were done in different countries (one of which was done the OLD way...taptaptap)...one souvenier you'll never forget...but they all mean something to ME and all of something that will never change throughout my life....and that's all that matters to me:cheers:

#29 ·
You couldnt hold me down long enough to tat me :twocents: Ink free, piercing free and proud of it. :D Guess I must be a rebel :wink:

If I was single, I wouldnt even date a girl with a _ _ _ _ _ stamp, or _ _ _ tag :help:

I dont think I need to purposefully mark up my body to be special. :hoboy:

More power to you, if you want to do it, just not for me. :twocents:

#26 ·
I was all set to get some tats until someone pointed out that would not actually increase the size of my biceps. :bricks:

Seriously, not a tat guy. I have seen tats after 40 years. They do not look as detailed. My uncle's ship anchor started looking more like a ball of logger chain by the time he passed. I'll leave it at that. I think people, especially the young of today who are unique like all of their friends, don't really understand what will happen over time since they are only seeing relatively fresh ink..

Also, to me I can't see marking myself with something so permanent. What if I stop playing racquetball? Or, blasphemy, fishing is no longer as important in 20 years? OK, the feet and/or names of offspring is a honorable and genuine thing. I understand. Or a USMC tat or whatever. But the trendy barb wire bicep wrap of the late 80s and 90s? :hoboy: Real unique. At least I could cut (or grow) my hair or even get a perm without lasting forever.

As an employer in a professional services industry, it is a factor for those who are customer-facing hires. We have someone on staff who has several including very visible ones on his forearms and we hired him, so it isn't an automatic disqualifier. But if it is Tyson-style tat to the face you have limited your career options. That's fine for Kenyon Martin or the Birdman - not so good in my view for an 18 year old still deciding what he/she wants to do in life.

In time I suppose there will be leaders in all walks of life that will be tatted up and will think nothing of anyone else sporting ink. I am just an old fart. But heck, will that shade of blue clash with my brown shirt?

Whatever.

Nice ink.

:cheers:

#30 · (Edited)
If I was single, I wouldnt even date a girl with a _ _ _ _ _ stamp, or _ _ _ tag :help:
Okay, I'm so out of the loop. I have no idea what a _ _ _ tag is. What baffles my mind is why guys think if a girl has ink, it's got to be a t-stamp? :shrug: Please don't quote me statistics. Most of you are white males from the PNW, so statisically speaking, most of you could be serial killers, no? This whole thread is full of stereotyping. You guys are cracking me up!
:jester:

Edited in: Hooked on chrome...That is sweeeet!

#96 ·
Nothing wrong with a little ink imho. Wife has a tat in a not so visible spot and it's dang sexy. :D I don't have one but who knows....that could change someday. Some of you have some nice art. :cool:

Okay, I'm so out of the loop. I have no idea what a _ _ _ tag is.
I'm guessing this person is trying to be "PC" and not get in trouble since this site seems a bit overly sensitive but I think he is calling it a "Hag Tag". :hoboy:

#33 ·
Never have cared enough about how I look to want a tattoo. That explains why the only time I ever have new clothes is when the wife purchases them for me. I have a brother who is exactly the opposite. I tell him it is his feminine side coming out. Most men I know really don't give 2 cents about expressing themselves. They'd rather worry about something else.

My opinion doesn't mean much either though, to each his own.

#34 ·
Bkedman, Sparks, and Shedhorn Thanks.

I'm gonna stand by my original statement "The biggest difference between people with tattoo's and people with out is, people with tattoos don't care if you have one or not."

There seems to be a lot of stereotyping and statements about people based on ones choice to express themselves. I realize my tattoo's will change and look different in 40 years. I really don't care. I'll still remember why I got them, and what I was doing at the time.

#35 ·
I thought about getting one for a while in my mid-late twenties. Decided that if I still wanted one at 30, I would do it. Well, I went to Africa, and was trying to light our kerosene lantern one night. (No electricity, so this was our light source.) The glass broke, cut my finger open, and some soot got in there. It healed up, with the soot inside. When I got back to the states, I had a doctor look at it to see if I could clean it out. He said, "Nope, you've got a permanent tattoo reminder of your trip." So, I got my tattoo after all, and no regrets. :)

#37 · (Edited)
I agree the people with tattoos dont knock the people without them its the people who hate tattoos that knock them when others get them. along time ago i told myself i would never get one but i have changed my thought, i do want to get one that means something to me, i dont care what anyone else thinks if they are gonna like it or not.

One thing i do find kind of funny and i question it is why do some people get some real funky things tattooed on there bodies when they are 18,19 years old sure it may be cool when there young but some of the things are gonna look ridiculous once they mature and get older, That is why i think you should make a wise choice before you chose what you get because sure you can have it removed later but most don't so its a lifetime decision,but then again it isnt my body so i really don't care what others do. My brother has numerous tattoos, most all of his are native american which represents the culture.

Even tattoos i would never get on my body i am totally amazed at some of the great art work some of these tattoo artists create, some of it is incredible with that said make sure you choose a good artist for a tattoo because i have seen some pretty crappy ones. You can totally tell the difference between a great job and a good job.happy tattooing:D i cant tell ya what tattoo i am getting because somebody might steal my idea lol, i am going to design it myself.

#38 ·
I have a tribal arm band on my right arm that I helped design and was a present from my wife for my 53rd Bday. Had had 3-4 Henna/Temp tattoos prior to the real one that were simular and liked them, so decided to get some perminant ink.

I like it, am glad I did it and might think about getting another in the future.

:twocents:

#40 ·
Given all the "me me me" responses, which is sort of a statement of our culture in general these days, it is not surprising why there is such a desire to tat.

I don't give a rip if someone gets a tatoo. I think they can look decent to goofy to absurd, but that is just the same as all art. Eye of the beholder. As long as "ME" is satisfied, that is all good. Ink up! Of course, I can change the art hanging on the living room wall when the poker playing dogs go out of style and Elvis comes back in...

I once worked with a sales guy who insisted on wearing a (cheap) pair of suspenders with his suits every day.

I asked him why.

"Because it makes me feel good that the customers will remember me."

I then suggested that if he had a big booger hanging out his nose the customers would remember him as well. He started buying better suits, dropped the suspenders and his sales results improved dramatically.

The point is that the guy who has love and hate or kill and "deth" tatood across his knuckles probably won't become a loan officer.

Some decisions are lifelong in implication.

But hey, its all about "me".

Oh, and as far as the 40 years later and the sagging, dithering, drooping, fading and loss of sharpness? You'll remember all right. There is absolutely no doubt.

But again, I think all this art is just great. Promote the arts! Just not on Roy or me.

#42 ·
Given all the "me me me" responses, which is sort of a statement of our culture in general these days, it is not surprising why there is such a desire to tat.

I don't give a rip if someone gets a tatoo. I think they can look decent to goofy to absurd, but that is just the same as all art. Eye of the beholder. As long as "ME" is satisfied, that is all good. Ink up! Of course, I can change the art hanging on the living room wall when the poker playing dogs go out of style and Elvis comes back in...

I once worked with a sales guy who insisted on wearing a (cheap) pair of suspenders with his suits every day.

I asked him why.

"Because it makes me feel good that the customers will remember me."

I then suggested that if he had a big booger hanging out his nose the customers would remember him as well. He started buying better suits, dropped the suspenders and his sales results improved dramatically.

The point is that the guy who has love and hate or kill and "deth" tatood across his knuckles probably won't become a loan officer.

Some decisions are lifelong in implication.

But hey, its all about "me".

Oh, and as far as the 40 years later and the sagging, dithering, drooping, fading and loss of sharpness? You'll remember all right. There is absolutely no doubt.

But again, I think all this art is just great. Promote the arts! Just not on Roy or me.

As usual, you are point on Hog!

My tats are scars from a war half world away.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.