Wilsonville Pond - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Bass and Panfish!

Old 01-18-2010, 07:22 PM   #1
Ryan808
Steelhead

Default Wilsonville Pond

Anyone catch anything out Wilsonville Pond, I drove by there the other day, but the water looked like mud.

Ryan808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 08:04 PM   #2
fishnfun
Chromer

Default Re: Wilsonville Pond

I think it clears up in the spring (when it stops raining) but have never heard any promising reports first hand, mostly small bass and panfish.
fishnfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 08:10 PM   #3
viettony
Steelhead

i fished there last week on wednesday, not a single bite.I used everything you can think of from live bait to spinners and not one bite.Probably will try it when spring arrives.
viettony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 08:26 PM   #4
Ryan808
Steelhead

I guess there is no hope till spring, mybe I'll throw the toon in there and fish the middle of the pond.
Is there any other ponds in the area is might give a bite this time of year?
Old 01-18-2010, 08:40 PM   #5
Sublime
Sturgeon

rough going in January... but ya never know?
Sublime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 10:16 AM   #6
503_greenhead
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan808 View Post
Anyone catch anything out Wilsonville Pond, I drove by there the other day, but the water looked like mud.
Does the Wilsonville pond holds any crappie?
503_greenhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 02:17 PM   #7
hunter9
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan808 View Post
I guess there is no hope till spring, mybe I'll throw the toon in there and fish the middle of the pond.
Is there any other ponds in the area is might give a bite this time of year?
Try Woodburn Pond. I caught some really thick largemouth out of there last spring.
hunter9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 04:56 PM   #8
Ryan808
Steelhead

What street is the Woodburne Pond off of?
Old 01-20-2010, 06:01 PM   #9
jcft2007
Chromer

Entrance is off Crosby Road. It then curves around and runs along I-5 behind the north bound truck scales. You need to exit the 214 then go east to Settlemeyer Road/Booner ferry and turn left(north).
jcft2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 06:16 AM   #10
SOBass
Steelhead

Much like most public fishing ponds, Wilsonville pond, has been overfished. This is likely the result of people keeping anything they catch, regardless of size. I fished this pond probably between 8 and ten times this past summer, with very little luck. I was convinced that I would be able to find a technique and a specific spot that would be productive, but never caught more than two bass on any one occasion (usually fished for about two to three hours at a time). These bass were not of any significant size either, maybe 7 or 8 inches long. There is an abundance of baby bluegill (mostly too small to get even very small hooks in their mouth). These tiny fish make it nearly impossible to fish live bait near the bank as they will constantly be pulling your bait around without ever hooking up. I did catch one catfish one evening, but it also was tiny (more like an aquarium size fish). As to the question about Crappie, I don't believe there are any in this pond. I am aware of only Largemouth, Channel cats, and bluegill. If people would leave this pond alone for a few years or at least not keep anything that was smaller than a couple pounds, the pond could become a decent fishing pond, seeing as it has an abundance of small fish that largemouth could feed on if they were given a chance to grow to a big enough size to get these feeder fish in their mouth.
SOBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 09:54 AM   #11
503_greenhead
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOBass View Post
Much like most public fishing ponds, Wilsonville pond, has been overfished. This is likely the result of people keeping anything they catch, regardless of size. I fished this pond probably between 8 and ten times this past summer, with very little luck. I was convinced that I would be able to find a technique and a specific spot that would be productive, but never caught more than two bass on any one occasion (usually fished for about two to three hours at a time). These bass were not of any significant size either, maybe 7 or 8 inches long. There is an abundance of baby bluegill (mostly too small to get even very small hooks in their mouth). These tiny fish make it nearly impossible to fish live bait near the bank as they will constantly be pulling your bait around without ever hooking up. I did catch one catfish one evening, but it also was tiny (more like an aquarium size fish). As to the question about Crappie, I don't believe there are any in this pond. I am aware of only Largemouth, Channel cats, and bluegill. If people would leave this pond alone for a few years or at least not keep anything that was smaller than a couple pounds, the pond could become a decent fishing pond, seeing as it has an abundance of small fish that largemouth could feed on if they were given a chance to grow to a big enough size to get these feeder fish in their mouth.
Thanks for the info.
503_greenhead is offline   Reply With Quote