plastic boat help?? - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Community

Old 01-09-2010, 07:42 AM   #1
cosmic cowboy

Default plastic boat help??

I put this in the tech with no bites but few views too so I will try here. I have an O'Brien polliwog 8' dingy made out of plastic that has a crack in the bench set plus I would like to mount wheels and oarlocks.The "USS Shortbus" has landed a ton of fish in low water but needs some TLC. Any plastic people out there? loaded question so jokes are expected but help would be cool too.. I'll start , "to the girl I meet at Lake Billy Chinook, you are plastic but not the kind I need...go back to your mirror"
I did try the O'Brien boat site but no luck,if I just knew what kinda plastic they use maybe I could find a suitable resin or??

Old 01-14-2010, 07:26 PM   #2
fishbig
Steelhead

Default Re: plastic boat help??

A lot of newer cars have plastic body panels and some auto body shops are able to weld plastic, it might be worth a try to talk to one
fishbig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 09:09 PM   #3
Hawg-line-
Chromer

if its a small crack would caulk work?
Hawg-line- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 09:16 PM   #4
cosmic cowboy

the auto body thing is an idea. I have read about plastic welding but it seems to be for harded tempered plastic like canoes. Mine is a kinda ,soft?, thick plastic. The crack is about 4" long but I would like to mount some seats and stuff too so a resin or ?? would be great. Tempted to cut a small piece and take it to a plastic works if there is such a thing
Old 01-15-2010, 07:20 AM   #5
joloni
Chromer

Here's a thread discussing a similar problem in a roto molded kayak, http://www.northwestkayakanglers.com...ic,2531.0.html, you might be able to find something applicable there, or elsewhere on the site if you do some searching. Otherwise, I'd call a kayak shop and see what they recommend. Good luck, Jonah
joloni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 08:41 AM   #6
Adrenaline Junkey
Steelhead

a lot of the newer snowmobiles have plastic everywhere. this often breaks and new parts are too expensive. I found the two part plastic weld works good and holds up great. I use fiberglass mat on the back after the two parts have been glued together. You can find it at most walmarts

Adrenaline Junkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 08:47 AM   #7
Spot
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmic cowboy View Post
the auto body thing is an idea. I have read about plastic welding but it seems to be for harded tempered plastic like canoes. Mine is a kinda ,soft?, thick plastic. The crack is about 4" long but I would like to mount some seats and stuff too so a resin or ?? would be great. Tempted to cut a small piece and take it to a plastic works if there is such a thing
Drill a clean hole at each end of the crack. Make sure you're all the way to the end so that it doesn't just run out past the repair. If it's truely plastic, you can just "weld" it but you'll want some similar plastic to melt into the crack. If it's fiberglass, it's a pretty simple matter of laying up some sheets and coating in resin.

Your local plastics expert (there is such a thing ) is:

Tap Plastics
Portland, OR

Open: Mon-Fri 8:30 to 6, Sat 9 to 5.

<edit>

-Spot-

Last edited by PapaHog; 01-16-2010 at 04:47 AM. Reason: Non sponsor contact information removed.
Spot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 09:14 AM   #8
uhmw
Sturgeon

Applied plastics off holgate in se pdx helps people fix their kayaks(out of kindness) they have a plastic extrution welder and a hot air welder wich they use for fabrication. if your not in a rush they can help you they are experts in this feild I use them all the time. You also can buy a hot air plastic welder from harbor frt tools although there are tricks to using it like heating both surfaces and using the correct plastic weld rod, its not that complicated to learn you just need to practice a bit. I suspect your boat is either hdpe or polypro plastic..

Last edited by uhmw; 01-15-2010 at 09:24 AM.
uhmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 04:00 PM   #9
cosmic cowboy

I'll drag it over to one of the shops. Thank you. The biggest problem is not knowing what compound I have. I googled the welding and have a heat gun but all the sites seemed to show hdpe patches and mine is not a hardshell kinda plastic. It is a hollow hulled boat and has the soft, almost greasy? feel. with tech talk like mine I really think the shops are a good place start. I e-mailed O'Brien Boats but I'm sure they are with my wife thinking "just buy another small boat...jezzzz" lol.
Old 01-15-2010, 05:44 PM   #10
BrnItDwn
Steelhead

my best friend welds on rafts (aire boat certified) dont know what kinda problem you have going So if you have a tear in the inflateable part he can help you out
BrnItDwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 05:57 PM   #11
N/R Salmon slayer
Steelhead

Cosmic-

I work in a rotational plastics plant up in Ridgefield and do fabricating from time to time. Most likely your kayak is made of either medium or low density PE. Drop me your number and I'll give you a call and fix it if your local. No big deal. I will use a Drader gun which is just like TIG welding with metal, except plastic. The problem with welding plastic is finding the correct base resin with the same or close to melt point. My advice about hot air guns, unless you are really experienced with it, more times then not it wil look and be worse after you get done working on it.

Tight lines,

Jim

N/R Salmon slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 06:28 PM   #12
cosmic cowboy

thanks slayer . This is a dingy from an O'brien boat. 2 bench seats,closed bow. like an 8' rowboat kinda and I have never seen a kayak made of this stuff but what do I know lol. While I type,wow, it's the same darn plastic as my marine Coleman cooler (so obvious..man) so... what fixes say... a plastic cooler and say you wanted to mount a battery box or pole holders to it lol. This forum stuff really works ha ha.
seriously, I want to find someting that I can do in the garage if possible. The offer is very cool Slayer but if I can't fiddle with it I could buy a cheap row boat and live with the shame.
Old 01-15-2010, 10:15 PM   #13
Spot
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmic cowboy View Post
thanks slayer . This is a dingy from an O'brien boat. 2 bench seats,closed bow. like an 8' rowboat kinda and I have never seen a kayak made of this stuff but what do I know lol. While I type,wow, it's the same darn plastic as my marine Coleman cooler (so obvious..man) so... what fixes say... a plastic cooler and say you wanted to mount a battery box or pole holders to it lol. This forum stuff really works ha ha.
seriously, I want to find someting that I can do in the garage if possible. The offer is very cool Slayer but if I can't fiddle with it I could buy a cheap row boat and live with the shame.
Sounds like rotomolded plastic. Same stuff they use for Sit On Top kayaks.
If you find the right kind of filler material and decide to do it yourself, try using an old soldering iron. I use a 25 Watt Weller to fill drill holes and the like when I move/remove hardware. Just make sure you get both sides of the crack and the filler material melted together. You might even be able to 'harvest' marterial from your boat if you have any excess/overhang or the like.

-Spot-