Chukar Reports? - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Hunting

Old 01-08-2010, 09:31 AM   #1
Stubble&Sage
Steelhead

Default Chukar Reports?

Anyone been out chukar hunting and willing to share a report? I was out a few times early in the season before it got too cold and saw a fair number of birds around the John Day river canyon, but haven't been back out in a month or so. Thinking about giving the dogs a run this weekend and just wondering what folks have been observing by way of bird numbers.

S&S

Stubble&Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 05:21 PM   #2
benny boy
Chromer

Default Re: Chukar Reports?

I talked to a buddy the other day down towards Burns. He said it took him a bit more time to get out and find them this year (hunting towards Princeton I believe) but, he said there are a fair number of birds in the area, just have to hike a lot of miles/run a dog around, and you will find them. I will be heading down there in a few days, hope I can give you a better report then! Good luck
benny boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 07:15 PM   #3
Rusty Psoadman
Steelhead

Default Re: Chukar Reports? - not any better today

Hunted Lower Deschutes today from 8am - 1pm...went to same spot as last year where we found birds...hunted the river all the way up to the top, did not get into any birds and we were hunting with my GSP (her second season hunting, 4th time out this year). She would have found them if they were where we were I think. Real warm today.. found some scat way up high. Take plenty of water for yourself and the dog on these warm days.

I'm going to try to get out one more time this season.
Rusty Psoadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 11:29 AM   #4
topcd098
Coho

I got into five coveys in about 4 hrs of hunting...had to use some new boots and paid the price with blisters... most of the birds were about half way up canyon seems like they were not on top where I normally find them perhaps due to water or maybe it was just the time of day...I have never really been able to get a good game plan on chukar the birds were not holding tight and most of them flushed wild and out of range good news is the coveys seemed larger than last year and would have chased them if my blisters weren't so bad not sure why they were so wary this early
Old 10-17-2011, 11:37 AM   #5
Thehunter
Chromer

found some
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo.JPG (186.7 KB, 118 views)
Thehunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 11:49 AM   #6
topcd098
Coho

looks like a limit nice job! Any Tips? I have two GSPs and we had a tough time getting birds to hold...was quiet and birds were flushing wild about 20-30 yards in front of dogs
Old 10-17-2011, 11:57 AM   #7
leadeyedbugger
Tuna!

20-30yds is something that i find alot chukar hunting, over time the dogs often learn to stand the chukars at least 30yds away, allowing you to hopefully sneak in and take them out.
leadeyedbugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 12:01 PM   #8
Thehunter
Chromer

Nothing wrong with 20 and 30 yards. I can kill a chucker at the distants 75% of the time. My dog will not brake on birds. She will hold an hour if i ask her to. She is 6 now. When she was 1 and 2 it was a different story.

The birds i hunted where very stupid. Meaning haven't been hunted. I could have killed 20 birds if i wished.

Here is my recomondations. 90% of chuckar hunters are in horrible position to kill a bird. You always want to approach the birds from the bottom side. Chuckars do not fly up hill very often. Work a pinch with your dogs. My dog will natural circle the group. She is on top and i'm on bottom. When they explode they do so up in the air. Which makes it nice. Your first shot must count.

good luck

Last edited by Thehunter; 10-17-2011 at 12:02 PM.
Old 10-17-2011, 12:06 PM   #9
topcd098
Coho

Smile Re: Chukar Reports?

Thanks... Going back in two weeks so will keep that in mind just ran a marathon at end of sept so the being in shape part is handled boots killed me though... tore my olds week before so had to rock a new pair needless to say it was a rookie move and I paid dearly

At least I picked up a nice native steelie in anoon on the ole flyrod
Old 10-17-2011, 12:26 PM   #10
legalyaker
Coho

Went to Macks on Saturday. Hunted 3/4 to the top and wasn't hearing any birds except quail at the bottom so decided to head down toward the quail. Once on the creek bed ran into 2 rattlers so the dog and I high tailed it back up to the ridges and headed home. I'm going to wait a few more weeks to let it cool off some more. Not worth risking the dog.
legalyaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 01:18 PM   #11
Sunnygx
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by legalyaker View Post
Went to Macks on Saturday. Hunted 3/4 to the top and wasn't hearing any birds except quail at the bottom so decided to head down toward the quail. Once on the creek bed ran into 2 rattlers so the dog and I high tailed it back up to the ridges and headed home. I'm going to wait a few more weeks to let it cool off some more. Not worth risking the dog.
I am with you. Still not cold enough yet and a snakebite on my dog is my worst nightmare.
Sunnygx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 01:50 PM   #12
blackdog
Ifish Nate

Was all over some of that Deschutes country Saturday and Sunday (around Macks but not that particular canyon, but some of its neighbors), coming in from the top. Not chukar hunting and didn't have a dog but saw numerous coveys and zero snakes. Also saw one good group of birds right in the Beavertail area.
blackdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 04:09 PM   #13
legalyaker
Coho

Yep after the run in I kept hearing dry weeds rattle and thinking about snakes. I figured I could handle a hit, hopefully, but I'm way more concerned about the dog. I had a farm dog get bit by a copperhead back home in high school and while she survived since they are not as nearly as bad as a rattler, her face puffed up like crazy and she lost hair around the bite for about a month. Vet told us not to worry about the copperheads but if its a rattler then anti venom most likely will be needed and the dog still might not make it.

Funny thing is both of those snakes in the canyon never rattled. I know they are slower this time of year but figured I'd hear a rattle. They both just shot under rocks as fast as they could.

I'm new to hunting that river and area and I'm scouring maps to find access to start from the top. That climb up is not for the faint of heart and not easy on a midwesterner. Plus any shot at some huns will be up there. Any hints on public access up top? I see unconfirmed roads labeled on maps. I just don't want to trespass on someones land.
Old 10-18-2011, 06:06 AM   #14
Thehunter
Chromer

Do you where 12 inch high boots? I've been hammered a few times and they can't get through the leather of a good boot.
Old 10-18-2011, 07:28 AM   #15
UglyBird
Coho

We hunted outside of Lakeview last weekend. No birds, 3 rattlesnakes.
UglyBird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 10:08 AM   #16
legalyaker
Coho

I do wear 12" high boots. Helps with stability. Good to know they won't puncture the boot.
Old 10-18-2011, 10:22 AM   #17
Thehunter
Chromer

Quote:
I do wear 12" high boots. Helps with stability. Good to know they won't puncture the boot.
next time you see a snake let him have it.....give him your boot...it will freak you out....
Old 10-18-2011, 12:37 PM   #18
legalyaker
Coho

If I do that I better carry TP and a change of drawers with me.
Old 10-18-2011, 02:57 PM   #19
M'kay13
Tuna!

Quote:
I removed a rattlesnake that almost got the dog we were hunting over this weekend. We were on top of the canyon and it was cold enough that I grabbed a fleece from the truck five minutes before the snake showed up.