Pros and cons of extended transom... - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Community

Old 12-31-2009, 10:29 AM   #1
task
Steelhead

Default Pros and cons of extended transom...

My current boat is a popular brand welded 18' aluminum boat with walk-through windshield (75 HP prop main w/ 9.9 trolling) that I use for salmon, sturgeon and crabbing, most often on the Willamette, Columbia and Oregon coast bays. For my next boat, I want to stick to the same type and length, with an increase in HP, but still a prop. My question is: for those of you that have an extended transom, what are the pros and cons? Thanks!

task is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 10:41 AM   #2
VancouverTechie
Steelhead

Default Re: Pros and cons of extended transom...

I would also like to here other people's thoughts or preferences on this subject. Or what about adding a welded offshore bracket on a welded aluminum boat?

Thanks,

John
VancouverTechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 10:49 AM   #3
cubsfan
Ifish Nate

I looked and thought long and hard about the offshore bracket vs a slop well. I went with the slop well as it serves a similar purpose and saves a little room when storing/parking/etc. I also like the idea of having my motor directly attached to my boat. I have a 20' Boulton and the slop well doesn't take up much room compared to the os bracket IMO. I also like to run my kicker from the tiller. This is much harder if your kicker is on the os bracket. Good luck, have fun.
Old 12-31-2009, 11:38 AM   #4
garyk
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by task View Post
My question is: for those of you that have an extended transom, what are the pros and cons? Thanks!
I think you need to clarify whether you mean a simple 'shelf' sort of bracket that's been used on some models, or, the enclosed 'floatation' bracket used by North River and others, and is an extension of the hull's bottom.
IFisher 234

"We want excellence from wildlife managers, but don't want to help. We are very good at one thing - complaining."
Teeb, 11.19.13
garyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 11:52 AM   #5
GaryB
Chromer

The only "Con" I have with my offshore bracket is that it's hard to untangle a crab line or fishing line out of the prop (Hard to reach) now I carry a sharp sirated(spelling?) knife attached to a 4' floating pole to cut rope/line out.
Others might want to consider this....
Reason I made this was I was crossing the Tillamook Bar and picked up a stray crab line at daylight one foggy morning

GaryB

Last edited by GaryB; 12-31-2009 at 01:43 PM.
GaryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 12:21 PM   #6
skaha
Steelhead

-I have 17.5 ft with off shore.
-Use mainly on larger interior lakes.
- + I use the bracket as a casting platform, spin and flyfish.
-This gets you closer to the water, stready footing and lean against main motor. I do wear a life jacket when on the bracket.
-Not sure about now but at the time it was much cheaper to get the larger boat feel of the bracket than to actually get say a 19 ft boat.

--backing up was/is an issue.. the advice I have been given is to use longer shaft main that extends below the hull, thus allowing thrust to not push against hull. also tilt engine for back up. This seems to work with my kicker however I do not have the option with main as it was set to high with normal shaft for good back up. Not sure how much top end speed would loose with longer extension below the hull but those that have say not much of an issue.

--I like the boat and will be keeping it
Old 12-31-2009, 01:24 PM   #7
lightning
Chromer

After much looking at new and used boats I decided on a new Weldcraft Maverick 186 DV with F150 and T8/TR1 which I purchased last July. It has the welded 24" extended motor bracket that does not reach to the bottom of the hull and a welded kicker bracket.
The reasons I chose this boat are:
Most of my fishing is done in the Columbia and Lower Snake so the full offshore bracket was not as important to me as it would be to the saltier dogs around.
The extended bracket allows more dance floor which means I can fish 4 folks comfortably in an 18.5" boat. The way it is made makes for a more maneuverable boat in tight places and makes backing easier as only a portion of it is in the water. The F150 must be tilted up for steering with the T8 as it makes a hell of a rudder way back there. The bracket with fold-down step makes getting in and out much easier whether on the trailer or in the water, skiing, tubing etc. The ride is GREAT even in chop. It cuts through quartering wakes and chop with no roll whatsoever.
The welded kicker bracket is not too bad to run manually even for a short guy like me. It isn't any worse than my old 17'er with a splash well.
The full height transom gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling when the rollers are high and from the stern like they were at Astoria this fall.
This model isn't for everyone. It was expressly designed for the Columbia and may not be what you need for mostly ocean fishing tho it would do well in reasonable weather.
my

(picture when new, not to be confused with what it looks like now)

From "The Land of Mutant Fish"
Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley." (unk)
lightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 01:58 PM   #8
fishorgolf
Chromer

A correctly built OS extension will have the benefit of greater contact with the water, this will add stability. The surface area in important and the more the better if you want stability. Also when I licence my boat it's measured from the bow to the transom 19 ft you pay by the foot. My boat W/ OS is right about 24 ft to the prop, thats about 5 ft of space you don't pay for ( licence ) but have the benefit having. I do not know what a 24' boat cost to licence but its more then mine. There are some designs that I feel are add-ons so be carfull of thoes, you want the bottom of the hull to extend the full lenght of the boats hull and bracket. I feel this is a must and I would not pay for designs that don't do this or you might be better off not having a OS if its not built right. ,,,,,, HAVE FUN AND BE SAFE
Old 12-31-2009, 02:32 PM   #9
Thumper
King Salmon

Good looking boat Lightning!!!

Time for CCA to now start focusing on cormorants and Caspian terns. Let's save a few million smolts!

Tillamook Anglers!!! Good people doing great things!
Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 02:44 PM   #10
Soulakala
Tuna!

I run a 18' Fishrite walkthru windshield with a slop-well. I like the well as it keeps the engine close for those times you run over the crab line, works as my sturgeon fish box on the way in, becomes the collector of gear when in a hurry, makes for good storage under the well, and allows the kicker to line up with the main, making for more options to kicker control systems. I see more boats with brackets doing the porpose than those without. This may not be the case using full floation brackets.

Bottom line make your selection based on what you like and not what someone else likes, every idea has its plus and minus sides based on intended use. I would guess that whatever you decide it will be ideal for your fishing and you will likely say its the best. Good luck on that boat!!!!
Old 12-31-2009, 04:14 PM   #11
Beefcake
Sturgeon

Skaha- My boat has some issues backing up as well (19' Duckworth with offshore bracket), but I've noticed that it is better when I have more weight up front. It still isn't as easy to back as others I've driven (20' TJet w/ offshore bracket), but it is better now that I've dropped a spare 40# anchor in my front fish box. Worth a shot...
Beefcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 05:04 PM   #12
5-Cents
King Salmon

From what I understand an outboard bracket helps put your props in cleaner water, water not disturbed by your hull. Since the props are in cleaner water you bet better thrust, speed and fuel economy. My boat has a 24' hull with twins on an outboard bracket and I havent noticed any disadvantage in handling either. You also gain the "real" working area of your boat... with a splash well you are giving up a couple feet of your hull.

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing. ~Babylonian Proverb

http://twitter.com/5CentZ
5-Cents is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 07:20 PM   #13
lightning
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
Good looking boat Lightning!!!
TYTY- it's a hot rod too!

Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley." (unk)
Old 12-31-2009, 07:38 PM   #14
Starfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightning View Post
Awesome boat, just gotta look out for those bridges...LOL
Starfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 09:14 PM   #15
lightning
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starfish View Post
Awesome boat, just gotta look out for those bridges...LOL

Shhhhhhhhhhhhh!
It'll be back from the shop soon and no-one will ever know.

Last edited by lightning; 12-31-2009 at 09:16 PM. Reason: shhhhh
Old 12-31-2009, 11:10 PM   #16
fishorgolf
Chromer

On a side note to Lighting and others,,,,,,you might try lowering your main motor when your trolling in uncrowded water, Lock your kicker to troll you straight and use your main motors skag and your steering wheel to turn. Then if you need to power up your main your ready to go,,,,,HAVE FUN AND BE SAFE

Last edited by fishorgolf; 01-01-2010 at 10:37 PM.
fishorgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 08:36 AM   #17
Springer43
Chromer

My 22 footer has an off-shore bracket. I love the extra length for stability in the ride and I think the extra space to move around in the stern makes a huge difference over other similar length boats I fish out of. The one con that bothers me is that it is much harder to follow a fish around the back of the boat when they are in close. You really have to get the rod tip way out or risk hitting the prop or skag with your line.
Springer43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 10:47 AM   #18
el diablo
Steelhead

or just buy a jet with a good reverse system and have the best of all worlds.
el diablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 07:09 PM   #19
lightning
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by el diablo View Post
or just buy a jet with a good reverse system and have the best of all worlds.
I think you misunderstood this thread.
I looked a jets and didn't want a dog house taking up dance floor.
Zip for gas millage. Can any jet you know get 3.5 MPG at 47 MPH, or 5 MPG at 30 MPH and not take up space inside the boat??
I think you need to start your own thread about jet VS prop. Were talking apples, you're talking cumquats.

Old 01-01-2010, 07:18 PM   #20
el diablo
Steelhead

oh trust me i know what the thread was about. jets, the best of all worlds.
el diablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 08:49 PM   #21
fishorgolf
Chromer

maybe you get to a point where you don't need more friends
back of the CLASS ,,,,,,E L D I A B L O
Old 01-01-2010, 09:34 PM   #22
foreman450
Cutthroat

I decided to go with the OS bracket. Boulton calls it a Gil Bracket. As you see from the pics it's attached all the way to bottom of the boat. I looked at a lot a different manufactures and I felt Boultons Gil bracket was made very well.

I love the extra room not having a "dog house" in the boat and you can see from the bracket, there is plenty of room to stand back there. I have my main and kicker tied together and I run my kicker with a Troll Master. I also have no issues unhooking the main from the kicker and just sitting on the stern and running the kicker. One thing I would recommend is getting a kicker with elec. start/elec. tilt so you won't have to fiddle with that back on the edge.

I've had no issues reversing my boat. It can get tight in some places because the boat is 20'(bow to stern) and then with the bracket and motors, I'm just under 25'. And as said before by "fishorgolf", I only license 20'.

foreman450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 10:03 PM   #23
No Fish
Steelhead

One thing I got from Les Schwab was a bed liner for my truck. It is made of tire material about 3/8 inch thick in a flat mat. The top surface has a special designed rough texture that grabs everything. It is amazing. I can put anything back there and it doesnt move.
I wonder if you get a piece and put it on those OS brackets so you could jump back on the bracket and not slip off. I have always thought i would be likely to be jumping back on the bracket to take care of a fish or the motors. That bracket looks slippery. I sure love the one in the back of my truck. Best hundred dollars ive spent
No Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 10:47 PM   #24
lightning
Chromer

Concerning the Weldcraft fantail not being built to the bottom of the hull. The designers built this boat from the ground up with this design in mind for the Columbia. It is not just a standard 18.5' hull with a welded add-on. The structure does not end at the transom. The fantail is an integral part of the hull. I don't think it will fall off and take the power with it. They have upgraded the 20' to a full offshore for the salty ones. I actually have less boat, thus less friction, in the water at speed but still have the ride and feel of a 21.5' length. The reverse chine hull and plane plate design also help handling and get more boat out of the water. After going 63 MPH in Starfish's boat I like speed when I need it.

foreman450,
Nice ride! Boulton is a great boat.
I'll bet you only take off once with that 4 step ladder down.
My 1 step makes a heck of a rooster-tail when I forget it.
T8 with electric start, power tilt and TR1 Gold, don't leave home without it.

No Fish,
I've been thinking about Rhino liner or similar for the fantail. Non-slip would be great for fighting, netting, peeing etc. I think something loose or removable may be a pain?

fishorgolf,
Thank you for the support.
(1960 Triumph 650, 1972 Honda 750 K2, 1987 XL887, 2002 FXDL)

Last edited by lightning; 01-01-2010 at 10:56 PM. Reason: doh
Old 01-02-2010, 03:04 AM   #25
Rick on Rogue
Chromer

Just a note here. My friend rigged an arm with quick connect ball joints from main motor to kicker motor and steers form steering wheel. It works great and very quick to hook up, and unhook. Just a thought for those not using autopilot, or if it quits on you.
Old 01-02-2010, 07:47 AM   #26
Grass Hopper
Tuna!

I find this post interesting... Some good points...

I would guess the originator was hoping to find out about performance ect... not so much if the brackets are bottom extensions or not...

I find it funny that so many people say a bracket JUST HAS to be a bottom extension... But I am not sure I understand the logic.

Does everyone understand the advantages of BOTH styles of brackets. Becuase there are many advantages of Both styles...

If a bracket is built well enough not to fail, why do I need it to be a hull extension... Recognize the full hull extensions have more surface area touching the water when running... which simply translates into less penetration to CUT through the chop... This surface area also burns more gas under power... So, Granted were splitting hairs here... but I find a lot of people to be misinformed...

When brackets started coming into the Aluminum small boat industry they had problems with them failing... Many have made large design changes. Most will never have a problem with the brackett.

I understand there are advantages to a fully supported brackett as well, a little more floatation at rest. The ability to come onto step at lower planing speeds ect.

But I think a lot of folks dont understand that the non supported brackett was how a "GIL" brackett was originally designed. And if they are not failing, they are NOT a problem. and actually have benifits of their own... SIMPLY LIKE CUTTING THROUGH THE CHOP BETTER>>> Surface area to weight ratio = penetration to cut through the chop!
Old 01-02-2010, 07:56 AM   #27
Grass Hopper
Tuna!

http://continuouswave.com/whaler/ref...eBrackets.html

some interesting brackett history and info for you to enjoy,

You will notice in the article. None of the brackets pictured are FULL BOTTOM EXTENSIONS.. some start a hair above the bottom. but the angle is different than the bottom...

The idea here is to offer floatation at rest... as I hit the gas it gives surface area to the water to create more lift, and then as the nose drops and the hull comes up to full planing it is suspended in the air, no surface tension, no resistance. Now I have the rotational axis of a 2' longer boat making it more stable at speed and in the chop... but the surface tension and fuel bill of a 2' shorter boat.

I am not saying it has to be done this way... but I am saying that is how the design started. and also performs better on higher speed hulls...

Last edited by Grass Hopper; 01-02-2010 at 08:00 AM.
Grass Hopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 08:22 AM   #28
garyk
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grass Hopper View Post
The idea here is to offer floatation at rest...
And that may be in part why, along with the hull design, NorthRiver boats with the floatation bracket, sit dead level.

This level bow-to-stern attitude translates into very good tracking at trolling speeds. Especially in cross-wind.

This comes back to buying a boat that best suits your needs.

Based on motor/hours, I spend 6 hours trolling to every hour running the big motor.

To the original poster, when we ordered the boat rather that getting the full bracket which puts the trolling motor way out there in an awkward position for trolling, we got the PARTIAL BRACKET, which allows the kicker to be mounted on the transom.

After running the trolling motor on other boats with a partial bracket/transom mounted kicker, I knew this was exactly what we wanted and it suits our style of fishing perfectly.

Here's a pic of that partial bracket. That stern mounting bracket for the kicker, is box, and can be plumbed as a warm water sink.

IFisher 234

"We want excellence from wildlife managers, but don't want to help. We are very good at one thing - complaining."
Teeb, 11.19.13
Old 01-02-2010, 08:48 AM   #29
Grass Hopper
Tuna!

Good point Gary K!

All brackets create floatation at rest, some more than others. And some need it more than others.

Your compliment was on the NR becuase it floated level.....you stated that was due to a full brackett. Which is definitely one contributing factor.

There are a lot of ways to create the same thing. Moving the fuel tank, moving batteries, what motor you run on the brackett. On a 20' boat the difference between a 115/150/and 200 is huge...

A suzuki 140 weighs 421lbs the yamaha 150 2 stroke weighs in at 418 while the 4 stroke comes in at 492 and the yamaha in a 200 comes in at 583...

So the difference between the 20tj with the 140 suzuki and the 20NR with the 200 hp yamaha comes in at 162lbs... Well, looks like If I get the NR with a 200 I should get the extra floatation eh??? but now if we compare fuel economy between the 20tj /140 set up against the 20nr/200 setup you already know what a HUGE difference this # will be...

even if I compared the 140 suzuki on a tj to the 150 yama on a NR I bet the TJ would win the drag race due to the brackett being set up for performance not floatation...and it would burn less fuel in the process.

Even where a mfg places the windshield makes a difference, for example the NR and Fish rite windshields are much further aft on the hull than the TJ windshield... so the NR and Fish rite have more tail weight than the TJ even before we power the boat.

So once again, A fully supported brackett can have advantages but is not needed by any means.

Please dont think I am saying a TJ is better than the others either... I am simply making a point so everyone can get a good education on the subject.

Last edited by Grass Hopper; 01-02-2010 at 08:52 AM.
Grass Hopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 08:56 AM   #30
skaha
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefcake View Post
Skaha- My boat has some issues backing up as well (19' Duckworth with offshore bracket), but I've noticed that it is better when I have more weight up front. It still isn't as easy to back as others I've driven (20' TJet w/ offshore bracket), but it is better now that I've dropped a spare 40# anchor in my front fish box. Worth a shot...
--Thanks: I will be adding a 24 volt bow mount motor, plan to put batteries up front so may be an unexpected benefit to the extra weight.
Old 01-02-2010, 09:04 AM   #31
Grass Hopper
Tuna!

I enjoy a good boat physics discussion.

Now lets talk about running in a HUGE sea condition...

in a following sea when pushing through the bottom of a trough(not sure how to spell troff) the OS brackett with LESS foatation allows the boats bow to lift sooner, causing less bow shear and less ability for the boat to broache. This also keeps the windshiled drier which is more comfortable to see through and also safer do to maintaining visibility.

On the boat with more floatation and running surface the back end lifts, the fully supported gil brackett acts like a trim tab forcing the bow deeper into the next wave, causing more bow steering and creating the ability to broach sooner. This also makes the boat speed up and slow down more causing a more uncomfortable ride and much more stress/torque on the motor.

once again I am not saying there is anything wrong with a fully supported brackett. I am simply saying it is not needed.

I could easily spend an equal amount of time telling you its advantages... But lets keep it simple and say...

THESE ARE OPTIONAL CHOICES NOT NECESSITIES!
Old 01-04-2010, 07:17 PM   #32
task
Steelhead

Thanks for all of the great feedback and discussion on the various models and types of construction. All in all, I'm sold on the concept. I especially like the benefit of more room in the boat and a higher transom to keep unwanted waves out. Now I just need to decide on a full or partial bracket and the best way to mount the trolling motor.

Thanks for including pictures and brand names. It has given me a good starting point when I go to the Sportsmen's Show in February.
task is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 06:59 AM   #33
Grass Hopper
Tuna!

By mounting your trolling motor right next to your main motor is easily allows you to hook up steering systems between the two. This is nice if you fish the ocean a lot or troll places that dont have many folks.

Personally for trolling I like to be able to reach my motor. So like Gary K said if you stop the brackett short they can do a transom mount of the kicker.

There are two different types of transom mounts that I see most common. Like Gary's picture. or directly on the transom which requires the MRG quite a bit more welding and work.

I am not saying Gary K has issues with his brackett but I have seen many who do... the big thing to me is... the ability to FULLY tilt the motor up and lay it to either side. without the power head or handle hitting... many makers make those brackets so short you can only tilt 3/4 of the way... and the handles are always hitting the back of the boat...

as for full extended bottom on the brackett or elevated the original way... I say... ignore this option... find the boat that best suits your needs, tastes, and price range... demo it to confirm your ok with performance then buy it... Lots of folks on here place WAY too much emphasis on what type of brackett they have...

Funny how you always hear guys with nice boats saying what they love about their boat... but you dont hear many guys with those same boats telling you what they dislike about them...

GOOD LUCK TO YOU ON YOUR PURCHASE!
Old 01-05-2010, 08:46 AM   #34
skaha
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyk View Post
And that may be in part why, along with the hull design, NorthRiver boats with the floatation bracket, sit dead level.

This level bow-to-stern attitude translates into very good tracking at trolling speeds. Especially in cross-wind.

This comes back to buying a boat that best suits your needs.

Based on motor/hours, I spend 6 hours trolling to every hour running the big motor.

To the original poster, when we ordered the boat rather that getting the full bracket which puts the trolling motor way out there in an awkward position for trolling, we got the PARTIAL BRACKET, which allows the kicker to be mounted on the transom.

After running the trolling motor on other boats with a partial bracket/transom mounted kicker, I knew this was exactly what we wanted and it suits our style of fishing perfectly.

Here's a pic of that partial bracket. That stern mounting bracket for the kicker, is box, and can be plumbed as a warm water sink.

--are those factory trim tabs or after market? manual or remote adjust?
Old 01-05-2010, 09:54 AM   #35
Grass Hopper
Tuna!

I would guess that they are factory trim tabs as the mount required welding work...

this is just an assumption

I have installed a ton of those and most boats dont come with the metal work... so guys often just bold them straight on...

the most common tabs and bang for the buck at the Bennett Sport Tabs... they are electric over hydraulic and controlled at the dash. dont get the cheap joystick switch.. pay a few bucks extra for the dual rocker switches..
Old 01-05-2010, 10:43 AM   #36
garyk
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by skaha View Post
--are those factory trim tabs or after market? manual or remote adjust?
Those are factory installed LectroTabs, with independant remote adjustment.

If I recall, these are 8-inch tabs if and I think they're a bit undersized for this 22' hull.
IFisher 234

Teeb, 11.19.13
Old 01-25-2010, 05:46 PM   #37
raptor700r
Fry

Quote:
race ya...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tlc2 after in water.JPG (29.5 KB, 150 views)
raptor700r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 05:53 PM   #38
raptor700r
Fry

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreman450 View Post
I decided to go with the OS bracket. Boulton calls it a Gil Bracket. As you see from the pics it's attached all the way to bottom of the boat. I looked at a lot a different manufactures and I felt Boultons Gil bracket was made very well.

mike needs to be carefull on what he calls his bracket.. there is a company called gil manufacturing that builds tubular setback brackets called gil brackets, and they are copyrighted by gil manufacturing....
Old 01-25-2010, 05:56 PM   #39
raptor700r
Fry

Quote:
I think you misunderstood this thread.
I looked a jets and didn't want a dog house taking up dance floor.
Zip for gas millage. Can any jet you know get 3.5 MPG at 47 MPH, or 5 MPG at 30 MPH and not take up space inside the boat??
I think you need to start your own thread about jet VS prop. Were talking apples, you're talking cumquats.

5 mpg aint squat either... how about 8..... 8.3 to be exact......

with a high HP dfi Outboard prop to be more specific....
Old 01-26-2010, 06:35 AM   #40
Gundog

I know a little about this subject. I bought a new custom built NR Seahawk in 2005 with the old raised style offshore bracket. My boat porpoised bad and any small wake would start this. I added a hydrofoil to the motor and it helped but not enough. I had several experts look at the problem. The only way to stop porpoising in the boat was to trim the boat in such a way as to completely kill the performance of the motor for me that was unacceptable. The other problem was the boat ran really bow high and was impossible to trim the bow down in waves unless completely off plane. I did carry a fair amount of weight in my boat and boat balance has a lot to do with this problem.

This is what I learned my boat had 2 things going against it NR uses a continuous deadrise in that hull meaning it is shaped like a rocker or at least mine was. This design gives a very small area for the boat to plane on. The hull needs a large enough area to run on to plane at a wider range of speeds. Without a large enough planning area the boat will constantly rock back and forth try to find a planning area IE porpoising.

The fix for my boat was to add floatation to the motor bracket giving the boat a flat surface to plane on. It may have also been fixed by adding planning strakes to the hull that was suggested by one company but was not done I chose to go with the extended floatation bracket. The benefit of the floatation bracket is the aft of the boat floating higher in the water at rest.

As for the TJ I have not ridden in one but I believe if the hull is designed with adequate planning area the boat would run without porpoising with the higher bracket but will be lower in the aft in the water at rest. This would be a big deal only if you have a self bailing deck IMHO.

Many larger boats use the raised bracket design and they work fine but a couple things they have going for them the longer the boat the more weight you have forward changing the balance point of the boat. You canít really compare a canvas top boat with a hard top boat. The more weight forward the more the balance point changes and makes it harder for a boat to porpoise. Some designs work better than others.

You need to go test a boat in the conditions you plan to run it in to know how the boat will react. The problem with test driving new boats is that they have none of your gear in them and usually the dealer has a bare minimum amount of fuel in them. Weight and how it is balanced makes a huge difference in handling. Take 4 buddies with you for your test drive and have them move around the boat during different handling maneuvers.

Adding floatation to the hull of my old boat made a huge difference it was like getting a new boat and solved the issue.

This is all based on my experience and my interpretation. I have studied boat design a little and your opinion may vary.

Mike
Gundog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 09:52 AM   #41
garyk
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grass Hopper View Post
There are two different types of transom mounts that I see most common. Like Gary's picture. or directly on the transom which requires the MRG quite a bit more welding and work.

I am not saying Gary K has issues with his brackett but I have seen many who do... the big thing to me is... the ability to FULLY tilt the motor up and lay it to either side. without the power head or handle hitting... many makers make those brackets so short you can only tilt 3/4 of the way... and the handles are always hitting the back of the boat...
Wow, that would suck. And I sure couldn't live with that.

Yes, the kicker bracket does need the correct set-back from the transom and be mounted at the correct height to avoid interferance. This was done correctly on my Seahawk .... I imagine NR worked out this detail a long time ago.
IFisher 234

Teeb, 11.19.13
Old 01-26-2010, 02:13 PM   #42
lightning
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor700r View Post
race ya...
Sorry,
I got over that sort of thing 20 years ago.

Old 01-26-2010, 04:59 PM   #43
Poindexter
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyk View Post
Wow, that would suck. And I sure couldn't live with that.

Yes, the kicker bracket does need the correct set-back from the transom and be mounted at the correct height to avoid interferance. This was done correctly on my Seahawk .... I imagine NR worked out this detail a long time ago.
I have the NW Jet Lightning with about the same setup, GaryK. I don't have any problem tilting it up. Like you, I like to have the tiller in my hand so I bought the NWJ with the cutout so my kicker is mounted to a small bracket like yours on the transom. I never thought about making that little basin a warm water hand wash basin, but I'm gonna check it out and get it done before next fall -- thanks for the tip.

"They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it. What happens is that you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore."John Gierach
Poindexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 06:53 PM   #44
tomictime
Sturgeon

Hook and Rocker are NOT a function of constant deadrise, period
Static and Dynamic bouyancy are not the same.
A general statement about a running surface bracket with reserve bouyancy making a broach more likely is absurd, actually the opposite is likely to happen and in two very distinct modes: 1.) a bracket, such as a GIL (welded tubes with minimal bouyancy..) can and result in water OVER the powerhead - no power to steer = broach.
oh, surface tension is NOT drag..
Broaching does not happen at planning speeds unless you are an idiot or way in over your head and your boats capabilities..near broaches can happen in 18 degree hull at 9 mph if the wave face is steep enough and the frequency high enough. what causes broaching is bow steer and inability to counter it and then getting rolled by the breaking wave.
the notion of penetrating a wave is absurd, the non-planing surface brackets do well on flat water and at very high speeds offshore, in the middle where MOST ifish'r operate the running surface bracket is clearly superior.

here is what the US Navy, who did actually pass Physics, naval Arch & Engineering buy:

tomictime is offline   Reply With Quote