Gas furnace leaking water? - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Life in General

Old 12-09-2009, 12:25 PM   #1
Legend21
Tuna!

Default Gas furnace leaking water?

Fellow brainiac iFishers I need your expertise stat here. The wife just called and told me that she was out in the garage this morning and it appears the gas furnace is leaking a substantial amount of water down on to the garage floor and about halfway down the length of the garage. She said it appears to be coming from the tray near the bottom of the furnace.

I'm not too familiar with gas furnaces, but have any of you fine folks experienced such a thing or know what might be causing this? I'm guessing the very cold dry weather is the culprit that has brought this on and I know that the furnace has a humidifier on it that pumps the water out a clear plastic tube over to the main PCV drain pipe for the washer and dryer, but beyond that I'm not sure where the water would be coming from. Perhaps a valve of some sort? Just stabbing in the dark here.

Thanks in advance.

Old 12-09-2009, 12:33 PM   #2
Danno
Ifish Nate

Default Re: Gas furnace leaking water?

With the cold weather, the drain is likely frozen.
Old 12-09-2009, 12:45 PM   #3
Maddie'sDaddy
Sturgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno View Post
With the cold weather, the drain is likely frozen.

Yep, Check the drain outside and see if it is draining, If it is PVC which most are a shot of air from the inside out might help.

MD
Maddie'sDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 12:45 PM   #4
Chrome Bumper
King Salmon

CH4 + 2 02 => 2 H20 + CO2

condensation from the exhaust ?
Old 12-09-2009, 02:07 PM   #5
30pound-tasty-fish
Ifish Nate

Does the clear tube empty into plumbing in the garage or empty outside? If in the garage it might not be frozen. On a 90% furnace the exhaust and condination come out of the same pipe and are seperated. If the rubber shoe that holds the pipe to the exhaust motor came apart it could be leaking the water down into the furnace cabinate and out to the floor.

The danger here is that if that shoe came apart you are probably emptying exhaust into your garage
Old 12-09-2009, 02:27 PM   #6
Artwo
King Salmon

My gas furnace has a condenstae pump attched to it that through a clear tube pumps it outside. Every year when it freezes I have to remove the condestae pump and let it drian into a bucket under the condensate piping because the tube freezes outside and pluggs the line. Not a real big deal but I don't understand why they didn't run the tube to a drain line somewhere.
Artwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 02:29 PM   #7
jcft2007
Chromer

Mostly likey your condensate drain to the outside is frozen. Inspect first and if plugged try taking a hair dryer to the pipe to help melt the ice.

Also check your furnace filters and make sure they are clean!!Don't want the furnace to run harder than it should.

jcft2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 02:35 PM   #8
iwanttofish
King Salmon

The line has to be free so that bacteria can not go back to the furnace, that is why it is not run into a pipe.

If you have a pump make sure that the end of the pipe is running downhill so when it shuts off the water will drain out of the pipe all the way to the interior of the garage or crawlspace.

The drain line for the condensate pump should be able to drain on the outside if this is what you have. Make sure the clear tube is going down hill all the way and there is no place to trap water.

If the outside pipe is white PVC then it may be blocked by ice on the exterior or in the crawlspace if there is a dip in the pipe. The pipe should be able to drain all the way each time it is used.

Is the home new or the furnace new? If so call the installer to come over and fix it, the line should be able to drain by themselves without freezing.

I come from a small drinking community with a fishing problem
iwanttofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 02:40 PM   #9
garyk
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artwo View Post
My gas furnace has a condenstae pump attched to it that through a clear tube pumps it outside. Every year when it freezes I have to remove the condestae pump and let it drian into a bucket under the condensate piping because the tube freezes outside and pluggs the line. Not a real big deal but I don't understand why they didn't run the tube to a drain line somewhere.
Our gas furnace is in a basement. The installers also wanted to run the condensate drainline outdoors. I foresaw the freeze-up problem, told them NO WAY, and instead ran the condensate tube into a sink drain pipe, which empties to the septic.

The added bonus is I'll sometimes run a dehumidifier in that basement. It's water drains into the furnace condensate reservoir, which the condensate pump pumps out using the same tube as above. Works well.
IFisher 234

"We want excellence from wildlife managers, but don't want to help. We are very good at one thing - complaining."
Teeb, 11.19.13
garyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 03:09 PM   #10
iwanttofish
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyk View Post
Our gas furnace is in a basement. The installers also wanted to run the condensate drainline outdoors. I foresaw the freeze-up problem, told them NO WAY, and instead ran the condensate tube into a sink drain pipe, which empties to the septic.

The added bonus is I'll sometimes run a dehumidifier in that basement. It's water drains into the furnace condensate reservoir, which the condensate pump pumps out using the same tube as above. Works well.

The only problem I have been told about that is the water is more corrosive and can damage galvanized pipes over a period of time.

Old 12-09-2009, 03:10 PM   #11
Artwo
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyk View Post

Gary,
My condesate drain line runs from the condensate pump mounted on the side of the furnace in the garage dowm throuh the concrete into the crawl space under the house then through the crawl space to where it goes through the foundation on the back of the house were the AC unit is located and just brains onto my concrete patio. Where the furance is located in the garage there is a bathroom on the otherside of the wall. Where the drain line enters the crawl space there s a drain pipe for the sink in that bathroom less than 5 feet away. I was thinking of tapping into that sink drain in the crawl space and attaching the condensate drain line to it. Do you if there is a reason I shouldn't or can't do this?

Sorry to highjack Legend21, but this might be helpful to you as well.
Old 12-09-2009, 06:40 PM   #12
iwanttofish
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artwo View Post
Gary,
My condesate drain line runs from the condensate pump mounted on the side of the furnace in the garage dowm throuh the concrete into the crawl space under the house then through the crawl space to where it goes through the foundation on the back of the house were the AC unit is located and just brains onto my concrete patio. Where the furance is located in the garage there is a bathroom on the otherside of the wall. Where the drain line enters the crawl space there s a drain pipe for the sink in that bathroom less than 5 feet away. I was thinking of tapping into that sink drain in the crawl space and attaching the condensate drain line to it. Do you if there is a reason I shouldn't or can't do this?

Sorry to highjack Legend21, but this might be helpful to you as well.

No do not tap into your drain line, it is not safe to do, that is why no heating company will do that.

The problem is that water is holding in your drain line and freezing. try to allow for the water to drain all the way and then it can not freeze in the line.

Is the line a clear tube with a condensate pump next to the furnace or is it a white PVC pipe?

Old 12-09-2009, 08:58 PM   #13
Barviewrocks
Chromer

One more thing to add: I have the same problem every time it freezes outside. Right now, I get about 4 gallons of water per day!
Barviewrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 06:13 AM   #14
iwanttofish
King Salmon

If it does this everytime it freezes there is something wrong with your install. I would call the company that installed it or find someone to fix it.

Old 12-10-2009, 06:40 AM   #15
Legend21
Tuna!

Thanks for all the help guys. It turns out that it was in fact the clear tube that was connected to the pump that had frozen water in it, as well as the water collection tray under the pump that had become full and thus overflowed.

After disconnecting the tray and emptying it, and then getting the water in the tube unfrozen, it appears to be working just fine. I let the furnace run last night on the regular program and set a bucket underneath the pump. This morning when I got up the wasn't any water flowing on the ground, the bucket was dry, and the water in the clear tube appears to still be liquid. Hooray!

Thanks again for all your advice and tips, I knew posting this on iFish would be the ticket. Is there anything iFish can't do? Maybe we should start some threads on how to fix the alleged global warming fiasco, or the BCS, or...oh wait....
Old 12-10-2009, 07:52 AM   #16
Artwo
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwanttofish View Post
No do not tap into your drain line, it is not safe to do, that is why no heating company will do that.

The problem is that water is holding in your drain line and freezing. try to allow for the water to drain all the way and then it can not freeze in the line.

Is the line a clear tube with a condensate pump next to the furnace or is it a white PVC pipe?
Thanks iwanttofish, I figured there was a good reason why they didn't just hook the condensate drian line (clear tube) up to a drain line in the first place. I'll have to get hold of the HVAC company to see if we can figure out a solution to the freezing problem.