Browning BAR Safari or X bolt - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Hunting

Old 11-20-2009, 11:54 AM   #1
bjorns4
Steelhead

Default Browning BAR Safari or X bolt

I have been thinking about getting either the bar safari with the boss system, or the x bolt. Both are in the 300 win mag. Any experience or input would be great thanks.

bjorns4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 01:34 PM   #2
ORsouthpaw
Ifish Nate

Default Re: Browning BAR Safari or X bolt

I don't know about the X-bolt, I have an A-bolt and the X-bolt is supposed to be even better. Given how pleased I am with my all of my Browning guns I really don't think that there is a wrong way to go.

One gun that I have always wanted was a BAR Safari but being Left handed I've always been worried about flash and the idea of a shell ejecting across my line of sight. The other concern is that the BAR is heavier. If your planing on putting some miles on your boots that could be an area of consideration.

Bolt actions are said to be more dependable but BAR's have a reptuation for reliability as well. If it were me and I was choosing I would likely go with the X-bolt because IMO you will likely never need a second shot as long as you have a properly sighted in Browning. Let us know what you go with!
Old 11-20-2009, 01:42 PM   #3
duckdog1010
Steelhead

Had my .300 BAR for 11 years. Good groups, plenty of power and low recoil. Although a little heavy.
duckdog1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 02:49 PM   #4
jdm11b
Steelhead

BAR! What a great gun... and I'm a big believer in semi-autos too.
jdm11b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 04:28 PM   #5
mythbuster
Steelhead

1 vote for x-bolt. I have a a-bolt & don't think there's a better gun.(IMO)
mythbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 05:10 PM   #6
Nick Myron
Coho

X-Bolt. Just bought it and used it for this years deer & elk seasons. .270 wsm. Love it, great rifle highly recomended.
Nick Myron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 05:48 PM   #7
bjorns4
Steelhead

On the x bolt, how does the stock perform as far as reducing recoil?
Old 11-20-2009, 08:15 PM   #8
Larry G
Steelhead

I have a BAR with out the BOSS on the end. My dad on the other hand has the BOSS on his BAR. I would NOT recommend the BOSS!! It is extremely loud and makes your ears ring for days after even one shot in the field.

I would not trade my BAR 30-06 for anything! I love it!! I shot an elk last year at 800 yards without a problem. Very accurate!!
Larry G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 08:25 PM   #9
PIR8 Hook
Ifish Nate

Red face Re: Browning BAR Safari or X bolt

I love my old BAR but just retired it this year...not to say I won't hunt with it in nice weather but just hated to see the Belgian BAR in the Oregon coast weather.

I have to guess that the x bolt HAS to be more accurate. BARs are not known for same hole accuracy.
Old 11-20-2009, 08:45 PM   #10
jdm11b
Steelhead

Bolt-actions are not always more accurate. If I wasn't limited to choosing from the 2 Brownings for an elk/deer gun, it would be the Remington R-25, which is basically a camo AR-10 in .308. These can usually shoot a 1/2" group. Replace the 5-round mag with a 20, and you're ready to defend the US Constitution.

BARs are known to be very accurate. They're a very popular safari gun for quick follow-up shots on dangerous game. Only a competitive shooter at very long ranges might notice an accuracy difference- if there is one.
Old 11-20-2009, 08:56 PM   #11
PIR8 Hook
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm11b View Post
BARs are known to be very accurate. They're a very popular safari gun for quick follow-up shots on dangerous game.
Where pray tell DO you get your infromation?

#1).The minimum caliber allowed for dangerous game in most African countries is the .375 H&H.

#2) I know of NO African countries that allow you to bring in a semi-auto.

#3).That's why most dangerous game PH's carry a double rifle and they NEVER jam.

I'm still waiting for you to tell us about all those animals in Africa that are "3X" the size of elk that are shot with a .308.....
Old 11-20-2009, 09:18 PM   #12
jdm11b
Steelhead

Giraffe and other large plains animals are hunted with .308. A giraffe is considerably larger than an elk.

By "dangerous" I don't mean what caliber laws some nations have decided in recent years, I'm talking historically. .30-06, .308, and other military caliber have been the mainstay of African hunting until it became a tourist attraction, and a .375 was needed because it was the first time the "hunter" (tourist) ever shot a gun.

Last edited by jdm11b; 11-20-2009 at 09:28 PM.
Old 11-20-2009, 09:22 PM   #13
Silverback
Tuna!

I bought a BAR Longtrac in 300 Win two years ago and love it. All the BAR models are great guns.
Silverback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 09:40 PM   #14
Hunt'nFish
King Salmon

Well, I own a BAR in 7mm and 4 A-Bolts.
Don't get me wrong I love my Belgium BAR....But it's not as accurate as my A-Bolts nor as light.
In fact my whoe family USED to pack BARs. Dad (a lefty) had a Belgium .30-06 BAR, Brother had a *** .300win and I had a Belgium 7mm. We all shoot bolt guns now simply for the accuracy and long range they afford us.
Not to mention BAR's don't come in .30-378's, or .300RUM & .338RUM's.
But I won't knock anyone who hunts w/ a BAR, fine rifles.
But my vote goes to the A-Bolt. (I like the A-Bolt's swing mag over the detactable box mag on the X-Bolt. The A-Bolts swing mag ins a hands free affair, I can pop it loose on the run, and top it off w/o fumbling a loose mag or having to unchamber. like most rifles.)
Hunt'nFish
Hunt'nFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 10:54 PM   #15
leftym4
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORsouthpaw View Post
I don't know about the X-bolt, I have an A-bolt and the X-bolt is supposed to be even better. Given how pleased I am with my all of my Browning guns I really don't think that there is a wrong way to go.

One gun that I have always wanted was a BAR Safari but being Left handed I've always been worried about flash and the idea of a shell ejecting across my line of sight. The other concern is that the BAR is heavier. If your planing on putting some miles on your boots that could be an area of consideration.

Bolt actions are said to be more dependable but BAR's have a reptuation for reliability as well. If it were me and I was choosing I would likely go with the X-bolt because IMO you will likely never need a second shot as long as you have a properly sighted in Browning. Let us know what you go with!
Im a lefty and shoot a bar and every deer that has graced its cross hairs has gracefully dropped

granted the shells shoot across your face but you don't really notice them and also Browning came out with a new left handed semi auto BAR type rifle i think its called a acutrack
leftym4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 11:54 PM   #16
millsymojo
Tuna!

bjorns4,

Let me preface by stating that I primarily hunt with a Browning a-bolt .325 here in Alaska. I also own, among other firearms, a Winchester model 70 in 30-06 with the boss system that was my hunting gun of choice when I was living in my home state of Oregon. It is a gift from my father and a sentimental possession. I also love the action on the Winchester model 70. But..........

I cannot state strongly enough how much I dislike the boss and how loud it is. Even when discharging the firearm at an animal the sound is overwhelming. It will likely hurt your and your partners ears and drive you crazy. I will no doubt have a gunsmith remove the boss from mine in the near future. While this opinion is anecdotal, I have heard much the same from other boss owners.

The choice between the BAR and X-bolt/A-bolt is primarly one of preference (accuracy, cosmetics, weight, reliability/jamming, speed etc.). You will find strong opinions both ways. I personally favor bolt actions. One of the reasons for this is the presence of brownies/grizzlies here in Ak. They factor into your hunt plans whether they are the primary species of target or "simply" maurading intruders. I would not choose to carry a semi-automatic weapon around dangerous game. That being said, if you are hunting only in Oregon with this firearm then this safety issue becomes a moot point, and we are back to it being a matter of preference.

Good luck on your decision.
millsymojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 07:05 AM   #17
Silver Eagle
Tuna!

I've hunted for 10 Years or so with a BAR 338, you do not need a Boss on it and it will do all you want......Put a nice 14 X 20 scope and go hunting.....

Why can't my crew do what I say, Just Once.....
Silver Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 07:54 AM   #18
noreaster
Steelhead

Talking Re: Browning BAR Safari or X bolt

I shoot a browning .338 BBR which preceded the x and a bolt. This bolt is serated with many times the locking lugs of the x and a. Browning didnt make them very long cuz of the cost. Strongest bolt ever made in my opinion. If your considering the .300 then take a look at the .338 and the .375 H & H ( bolt action only). Reason being bigger range of bullet weights. In my opinon the recoil of the .338 and the .375 are less than the .300 but thats just me (who notices recoil when shooting for the kill). One negative on the .375 is the longer throw.
Old 11-21-2009, 10:52 AM   #19
kill2hunt
Tuna!

i had the SAME exact issue but it was for a 300wsm. i ended up getting the x bolt and i am happy with my choise! both are great guns but when it comes down to it everything is about you own opinion, me i just liked the way the x bolt felt, fits me perfect.
Old 11-21-2009, 02:42 PM   #20
PIR8 Hook
Ifish Nate

Angry Re: Browning BAR Safari or X bolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm11b View Post
Giraffe and other large plains animals are hunted with .308. A giraffe is considerably larger than an elk.

By "dangerous" I don't mean what caliber laws some nations have decided in recent years, I'm talking historically. .30-06, .308, and other military caliber have been the mainstay of African hunting until it became a tourist attraction, and a .375 was needed because it was the first time the "hunter" (tourist) ever shot a gun.
Sir, you REALLY don't know what you are talking about. The comments that you make are showing how little you know about hunting Africa. Giraffe are not considered dangerous game. Though Karamojo Bell killed many elephants with a 7X57 he also wounded a lot too. SOMETHING THAT WE ALL HATE!

Giraffe also have w 2" thick hide and very few consessions would allow you to hunt one without solid ammo and a back up of over .375 H&H. There is a reason these laws have been put in place. It's called mangeled guides & dead clients. Please post a picture of a person hunting in Africa with a BAR. P.S. ( P.S. I love mine).

If you can't...... please keep your opinions to yourself.

And PLEASE answer where you get you information.
PLEASE tell us how may times you have hunted the "dark continent".

Though I agree that most hunters use more rifle than needed, I for one, am tired of your incorrect statements.

On three different threads about hunting your have proven to me that you do not know what you are talking about. I have never met a person on iFish that professed more, but knew less than you.
Old 11-21-2009, 03:34 PM   #21
pharmseller
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry G View Post
I have a BAR with out the BOSS on the end. My dad on the other hand has the BOSS on his BAR. I would NOT recommend the BOSS!! It is extremely loud and makes your ears ring for days after even one shot in the field.

I would not trade my BAR 30-06 for anything! I love it!! I shot an elk last year at 800 yards without a problem. Very accurate!!
Larry,
Not saying you didn't, but even sighted in dead on at 400 yards your bullet would drop (by my calculation) 119.81 inches (9.98 feet) at 800 yards.
I can't see a circus tent, much less an elk, at half a mile. Kudos to you for making the shot.

P
pharmseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 07:00 PM   #22
bjorns4
Steelhead

Thanks for the input, I am going to get the x bolt, and I am now trying to decide the caliber. I think that I am leaning towards the 338, I don't plan on hunting elk exclusivly and some day I would like to hunt Alaska. Thanks for all the input.