Can deer survive a broken (hind) leg ? - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Hunting

Old 10-23-2009, 06:40 PM   #1
Lamplighter
Chromer

Default Can deer survive a broken (hind) leg ?

I posted this pic the other day on the "Sharing your garden" thread.

Unfortunately, I just found this guy laying on the Lake Oswego trolley tracks. He got up and ran (on 3 legs) about 50 ft, but then fell and stayed down even as my lab and I approached. I think his hind leg is broken near the hoof. If he's still there tomorrow a.m. I may need to make a decision whether to leave him be or to call the LO authorities who will probably put him down.

Your thoughts ?

Lamplighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 06:50 PM   #2
blacktail519
Ifish Nate

Default Re: Can deer survive a broken (hind) leg ?

A friend of mine that lives over in the prineville area, has a monster 7x6 buck that hangs around his house, that clearly has a healed broken right rear leg. It survived, and hes been watching it for 3 years now. It has quite the stiff walk, but it can run like a healthy buck!
blacktail519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 06:59 PM   #3
Rank Amateur
King Salmon

They are tough, it would all depend on how the leg is broken, but I would think a low down break is recoverable.

Team Fair Chase.
Team Fair Exit.
Team don't feed the trolls.
Rank Amateur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 07:09 PM   #4
forkhunter
Steelhead

I have seen them survive. A lot depends on their environment and what sort of obstacles they have to overcome. I would think a deer in an urban setting might have a good chance as long as nobody's dog gets it and it stays off the roads.
forkhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 07:11 PM   #5
225nontypical
Ifish Nate

yes i watched one for two year and she lost her leg completely although it was a front leg so a back leg will be harder to deal with.
225nontypical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 07:15 PM   #6
ehunter
King Salmon

I am betting on the coyotes a back leg is better than a front leg. I have seen a some 3 legged deer after rifle season and if it snows you wonder how they will do.
Old 10-23-2009, 07:38 PM   #7
Don Becker
King Salmon

When we lived in Wilsonville, we had a doe with a broken right hind leg - - it was twisted nearly all the way around backwards. My daughter was very upset but I just had her call ODFW. They explained to her that, being a wild animal, they didn't interfere and that if she was tough-enough, she would survive.

The leg looked to me like she had gotten it caught in a fence and broke it herself in a tremendous fight to get free. That doe did survive. The leg healed in that position. She looked pathetic when she walked but she could run and jump quite well. She had one or two fawn every year for several years.

One day, one of her daughters shows up with just about the identical injury to the left hind leg . . . her story was the same as mom's. About two years later, I came home after work one day and found the two does and the daughter's two fawns walking around the yard and I started watching them. They let me get about a dozen feet from them as I gently crept up and watched them. What I saw was a little pathetic but hilarious at the same time. Those two fawns were gimping-around on their hind legs, ever so slightly. There was absolutely nothing wrong with their legs! It was a learned response from following mom and grandma around.

Don

Don Becker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 08:10 PM   #8
wapiteaser
Ifish Nate

There are two big crippled bucks that hang out in Maupin all the time. Limpy has been around for about 5 years now. He got tangled in the Christmas lights last year, but still made it through the winter fine. Gimpy is a year younger I believe. The one was about a 30" buck last year. Went down hill this last year a lot. Check them out along with the other 4-5 bucks that stay in town all the time.
wapiteaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 08:42 PM   #9
Lamplighter
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Becker View Post
When we lived in Wilsonville, we had a doe with a broken right hind leg - - it was twisted nearly all the way around backwards. My daughter was very upset but I just had her call ODFW. They explained to her that, being a wild animal, they didn't interfere and that if she was tough-enough, she would survive.

The leg looked to me like she had gotten it caught in a fence and broke it herself in a tremendous fight to get free. That doe did survive. The leg healed in that position. She looked pathetic when she walked but she could run and jump quite well. She had one or two fawn every year for several years.

One day, one of her daughters shows up with just about the identical injury to the left hind leg . . . her story was the same as mom's. About two years later, I came home after work one day and found the two does and the daughter's two fawns walking around the yard and I started watching them. They let me get about a dozen feet from them as I gently crept up and watched them. What I saw was a little pathetic but hilarious at the same time. Those two fawns were gimping-around on their hind legs, ever so slightly. There was absolutely nothing wrong with their legs! It was a learned response from following mom and grandma around.

Don
That's a great story !
Old 10-24-2009, 04:50 AM   #10
yimmee
Steelhead

I shot a buck about 5 years ago with a healed up broken back legs, you could still part of the bone. trust me he WAS running fine. they heal well. Sad to see but thery will live.

Last edited by yimmee; 10-24-2009 at 04:50 AM. Reason: my spelling sucks
yimmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 07:49 AM   #11
pharmseller
King Salmon

If there are no cougars in the area the deer could very well survive.

P
pharmseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 07:57 AM   #12
225nontypical
Ifish Nate

the doe i was talking about was at ST Louis ponds she was on one of the small islands and the leg was horrible looking i saw her 3 weeks in a row and over 3 weeks the leg got worse and i am not sure how but the last time i saw her that year the leg was gone. the next year i saw her she was fine on 3 legs and running around the ponds saw her a few times. i know there are coyotes out there i think that is why she was on the island but not sure. they are tough
225nontypical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 08:00 AM   #13
Lamplighter
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharmseller View Post
If there are no cougars in the area the deer could very well survive.

P
This morning, the buck was gone from the trolley tracks where it fell last night.
I think I can see it a ways back up in the woods of our property, so we'll keep the dog away from that area for a while.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts, which convinced me to do nothing and wait to see what happens.

P.S. Cougars are fairly rare here in Lake Oswego
Old 10-24-2009, 08:23 AM   #14
pharmseller
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplighter View Post
This morning, the buck was gone from the trolley tracks where it fell last night.
I think I can see it a ways back up in the woods of our property, so we'll keep the dog away from that area for a while.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts, which convinced me to do nothing and wait to see what happens.

P.S. Cougars are fairly rare here in Lake Oswego
For now.

P
pharmseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 08:24 AM   #15
Lamplighter
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharmseller View Post
For now.

P
LOL Very good !
Old 10-24-2009, 11:54 AM   #16
Crayfin
Ifish Nate

No question what so ever that deer will do just fine. I have seen them with shattered sholders that have healed up..no front leg, no back leg just about everything in between..they are WAY tougher then we will ever be!!
Crayfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 09:10 AM   #17
MJ13
Tuna!

There use to be a buck around my house that only had three legs. He was missing his front left leg, it was gone just abover the knee. He got around really well and was more than healthy. Actually saw his a couple years in a row.
MJ13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 09:25 AM   #18
Santiam338
Ifish Nate

My friend took this pic last summer in his back pasture....She is minus her right back leg...Since he lives along the hiway we are thinking she lost it after getting hit...Either way,she gets along just fine...

Santiam338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 10:58 PM   #19
benny boy
Chromer

We also had a doe around our property with a missing hind leg (at the "knee" joint) watch her for around 8 months, stayed fat and healthy. One day she was no longer around, started looking and found her all tangled (and dead, unfortunately) in a neighbor's barbed wire fence. I guess the hind leg was enough of an issue to hinder the jump, or she just misjudged it, either way, was kind of sad to see her go since she had healed up so well.
benny boy is offline   Reply With Quote