Is it ok to blow your neighbor's leaves back - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Life in General

Old 11-19-2003, 08:51 PM   #1
Pyramid
Chromer

Default Is it ok to blow your neighbor's leaves back

over to his yard? It's his tree, and the wind blows 90% over to my yard. I would be more neighborly but he does other things like attaches things on his side of MY fence, that is on MY property!

Advertisement

Old 11-19-2003, 09:01 PM   #2
jokester
King Salmon

Default Re: Is it ok to blow your neighbor's leaves back

Don't you just love neighbors :grin: I'd say blow them back...but that's just me

"Pull a few weeds while you're resting..." -Grandpa

Romans 8:28
jokester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 09:03 PM   #3
WaterDog
King Salmon

How about piling them in the street for pick up?

You know I gotta raz ya a little. :tongue:
Old 11-19-2003, 09:03 PM   #4
STGRule
Qualified Sturgeon Hugger

As long as you never receive any benefit from that tree. It must never shade your property in the summer heat, must never make it cheaper to cool your house in the summer, must never have made it so you didn't have to water less because of the shade, you must never have breathed any of the oxygen that the tree produced, and none of the carbon dioxide you breathed out could have been fixed by that tree. No bird that ever used that tree could have eaten bad bugs in your yard either. If you can say that none of that ever happened, you can blow the leaves back.

[ 11-19-2003, 09:04 PM: Message edited by: STGRule ]
STGRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 09:48 PM   #5
Fast Water
King Salmon

Kinda funny. I have a neighbor who has mentioned a couple of times how he does not like the leaves but does not want to cut any limbs because of a reduction of privacy.

If I think about it, I will spend 5 minutes or so each year and rake the leaves to the side of his yard so it won't kill the grass off.

:smile:

[ 11-19-2003, 09:49 PM: Message edited by: Fast Water ]

Lower Columbia CCA
Join CCA

Ifish Member #2421

For in the end, we will conserve only what we love.
We will love only what we understand.
We will understand only what we are taught.

- Baba Dioum
Fast Water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2003, 12:23 AM   #6
1pump
King Salmon

If the wind blew them into your yard in the first place, and you blow them back into his, then the wind will just blow them into your yard all over again. Unless they get good and wet.

I had a neighbor who had this down to a science. I lived downwind, and across the street. The wind would blow the leaves from his giant maple tree out of his yard, across the street, up my driveway, and then the wind would deflect off my detached garage and create a weird vortex that dumped leaves 2 feet deep on my back porch. And if I opened the back door at the wrong moment the leaves would blast into my kitchen. It was unbelievable. [img]graemlins/eek13.gif[/img] The thing that really ticked me off was that he kept his yard all neat and tidy except for those maple leaves. He didn't bother to rake them up because he knew they would wind up in my yard all by themselves at the first east wind. Jerk.
Old 11-20-2003, 06:22 AM   #7
pdxkevin
Ifish Nate

Do you have a bagging lawn mower? I just run the mower over them a few times. Cleans up the leaves, cuts the grass and even adds a little leaf mulch around. Not much mulch though. It does it all in pretty short order too. Fill the bag and dump it. This technique even works picking up leaves on the sidewalk.

I finished my yard in less than 15 minutes. My neighbors were still out raking for another couple hours.
Old 11-20-2003, 06:40 AM   #8
ampersat
King Salmon

I got a rear bagging mower specifically for my leaf issue. I've got two mature trees in my yard and a neighbors tree that is right on the property line. I wish I could say that it only took me 15 minutes to mow them up but I can say that it's a lot easier and faster than trying to rake them. And I end up with some pretty nice compost after a year of consolidating all the piles.

As for dealing with your neighbor's leaves, I've got to side with STGRule. My neighbors don't complain about my leaves all over the neighborhood because they appreciate the shade from the trees in the summer.

The days are long but the years are short.
ampersat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2003, 07:06 AM   #9
Silver Hilton
King Salmon

Depends, does he have an NRA sticker on his car?
Old 11-20-2003, 09:08 AM   #10
Gus Orviston
Flatlander

1pump LOL,, too funny. I have a vortex as well.
Gus Orviston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2003, 02:39 PM   #11
tommy2915
Steelhead

I would blow them back, but thats me
Old 11-20-2003, 03:04 PM   #12
CATCH AND EAT
King Salmon

If you already have problems with the personofagun then why create more tension? Rake and bag and don't be a nag. Far as the fence goes, does'nt matter if you put up the fence or not, he has a right to paint his side pink if he so desires.

You guys sound like grumpy old men. Put a dead fish under his seat with a card of dried leaves. Should make him aware of the problem. :shocked:

Be pompous, obese, and eat cactus
Be dull, and boring, and omnipresent
Criticize things you don't know about
Be oblong and have your knees removed
CATCH AND EAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2003, 06:31 PM   #13
Pyramid
Chromer

Quote:
Originally posted by CATCH AND EAT:
If you already have problems with the personofagun then why create more tension? Rake and bag and don't be a nag. Far as the fence goes, does'nt matter if you put up the fence or not, he has a right to paint his side pink if he so desires.

You guys sound like grumpy old men. Put a dead fish under his seat with a card of dried leaves. Should make him aware of the problem. :shocked:
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">The deal is the fence is inside my property line, done purposely to avoid the painting, attachment issues. But I try to be a good neighbor and only say anything if it affects the integrity of the fence. IMHO, and to the rest of you, I haven't blown them back over yet, but I'm thinking of it.

[ 11-20-2003, 06:32 PM: Message edited by: Chinookster ]
Old 11-20-2003, 09:35 PM   #14
Dipnet
Ifish Nate

I'd say blow them back, that is if you don't live next door to my son!!!!

Dipnet :grin:
Old 11-20-2003, 09:55 PM   #15
Lucky Luke
Steelhead

He's your neighbor! Treat him as well as you can. You'll be living side by side for a long time. Tensions between neighbors commonly escalate to stressful situations with the smallest of misunderstandings. Communicate and hope for the best. If you don't get results be rational in your response. He'll probably come to your front door and say that he would have happpily racked up the leaves if you had told him that they bothered you. Look, I know that some folks are very difficult, I'm just say'in, you may be sorry that you took that path. i.e he may retaliate. Luke
Lucky Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 01:16 PM   #16
WaterDog
King Salmon

And who says good fences make good neigbors? [img]graemlins/eek13.gif[/img]

So I take it there are sooooooooo many leaves and it takes soooooooooo long to rake them up that it keeps you off the river?

Folks, all he has to do is gather them up and the fine City of McMinnville will come and scoop them out of the street. Now if I was a little closer to you, I'd pile them in your drift boat. Maybe mix in a sand shrimp or two. :grin: :tongue: Or maybe I'd send you a lateral letter. Too bad we're not closer...... :grin:
Old 11-21-2003, 01:28 PM   #17
outdoor.spec.ops
Tuna!

The not so smart idea would be to blow them back into his yard, but then you have already wasted time that could have been spent cleaning them up.

As soon as you blow them over there, the wind will pick up, and your back to point 1. Have you tried to talk to him about the problem? If he doesn't want to rake them, offer to clean them then cut down the tree. At least you wouldnt be wasting any more of your time piddling around the problem.
Old 11-21-2003, 03:26 PM   #18
CATCH AND EAT
King Salmon

Alright Chinookster let me put it this way. They blew into your yard. So ya blow them back. Sounds like peeing in the wind to me. Dummy up and rake'em my friend.

For the fence issue, how long has it been up? Does'nt really matter if it is inside your property line or not really and eventually over time the setback you gave this bozo to put your fence inside the line will become his. Check with the city and you will find I am right. Now if he builds a viewing platform to checkout your backyard on top of the fence you have something to complain about. Otherwise bite your tounge and try to get along with him. I'm not trying to stir ya up at all so please do blow up at me again. Life is to short to get all bent up about little stuff like this.

Be pompous, obese, and eat cactus
Be dull, and boring, and omnipresent
Criticize things you don't know about
Be oblong and have your knees removed
CATCH AND EAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2003, 12:53 AM   #19
Floater
Steelhead

If you rake them up, what do would you do with them?

If you have to pay to dispose of them, talk to your neighbor and say, "Hey there, "I" raked up all of your leaves, do you mind if I put them in "YOUR" garbage can?"

Hangs things???? Only if they are good neighbors!!!!
Old 11-22-2003, 07:00 PM   #20
Pyramid
Chromer

Quote:
Originally posted by WaterDog:
And who says good fences make good neigbors? [img]graemlins/eek13.gif[/img]
Folks, all he has to do is gather them up and the fine City of McMinnville will come and scoop them out of the street. Now if I was a little closer to you, I'd pile them in your drift boat. Maybe mix in a sand shrimp or two. :tongue: Or maybe I'd send you a lateral letter. Too bad we're not closer...... :grin:
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">MODERATORS! This guy is harassing me [img]graemlins/1zhelp.gif[/img]
Oh, Waterdog is a moderator, Nevermind :smile:
Old 11-22-2003, 09:07 PM   #21
wade
Chromer

I hope you can figure out a way to be a good neighbor, this leaf thing is nothing. I've had mostly good neighbors, except a rent house behind me has had some duds, and several years ago housed some drug dealers. I decided to replace the 25+ year old rotten picket fence with a 6 footer. In doing so I had to have a baseball bat nearby in case somebody over there got too bored and wanted to cause trouble, and although the entire project of 200' only took a weekend there were a couple of intense moments. Try and put the leaf thing into perspective. If you really don't like the tree you have every right to lop off anything hanging over the property line, but I'd ask permission first out of courtesy.

Kevin
Old 11-22-2003, 09:31 PM   #22
SandySteel
Ifish Nate

Antagonism is a bad path. (Just see what it did for me in the Civil War trash talk thread.....).I raked up the little old lady's yard next door to mine. I give my other neighbors fish. Bend over backwards, be friendly. It will pay dividends in the long run.

[ 11-22-2003, 10:25 PM: Message edited by: SandySteel ]
Old 11-23-2003, 07:44 AM   #23
highdesertdrifter
Cutthroat

I think a good relationship with neighbors is very important. They might be the one looking out the window when the bad guys are trying to rip you off. hd.
highdesertdrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2003, 03:34 PM   #24
kayakfisher
Chromer

Rake em and compost them...then harvest the earthworms later for a good day on the boat.

If your fence is on your side of the property line and you let your neighbor take care of the property on his side of the fence I think over a period of years he becomes the owner of that land, and the property line shifts...if it is any large amount of property you may want to look into it.

If this is the worst thing your neighbors have done you are in a pretty good situation...go with the flow if you can manage it.
Old 11-27-2003, 04:51 AM   #25
night stocker
Steelhead

big maple tree leaves are nothing.if you really want to see a mess,my neighbor has a huge cottonwood that blows that fuzz everywhere in the spring.it is three houses down the street.catch and eat is right on about the fence issue.