Lion Killed buck pics - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Hunting

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2009, 07:17 AM   #1
sliverpicker
King Salmon
 
sliverpicker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: in the treetops by who goosed the moose
Posts: 5,609
Unhappy Lion Killed buck pics

A week ago while hunting I found this dead buck. Some birds were on it, but there was about two hands full of meat chewed out of the hindquarter.



Upon investigation I found where the buck had been killed and dragged down the hill. Thought maybe the cat had been scared off and wasn't sure if it would return to the kill. The next morning at daylight I went back and the buck had been moved downhill and buried, but not until the cat had consumed half the buck!



I was pretty sure the cat was laid up closeby with a belly full of meat. But he had relieved himself numerous times around the kill, there were 4 big piles of cougar poo within 10ft of the carcass. I couldn't locate the cat, so I went on in search of my own deer or elk.



I went back the next day and the buck carcass had been dragged down the hill another 150-200 ft. In 48 hours the buck had been reduced to part of the skull, the antlers, lower legs, some hide, and a few large bones. Nothing left but yellowjacket scraps.

__________________
Team Anti Copy & Paste
"stickbows...putting the arch back in archery"
"if you rattle, they will come!"
sliverpicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 07:25 AM   #2
Rank Amateur
King Salmon
 
Rank Amateur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Vernonia Or.
Posts: 12,131
Default Re: Lion Killed buck pics

Thanks for the photo's. That is why cougar predation is not seen as a big problem by the general public, with in a few days the evidence is gone, out of sight-out of mind.
__________________
"Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are made for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass without consideration."- Izaak Walton

Team Fair Chase.
Team Fair Exit.
Team don't feed the trolls.
Rank Amateur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 07:34 AM   #3
tyguy
Steelhead
 
tyguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Grants Pass, Oregon
Posts: 157
Default Re: Lion Killed buck pics

This is why I am buying 2 cougar tags... I doubt I will fill them, however if come across one of them I will do everything possible. I call BS saying cougars and bears only kill the weak.

ty
tyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 07:52 AM   #4
gamoshot
Steelhead
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: enumclaw
Posts: 253
Default Re: Lion Killed buck pics

that really sucks them are some nice bucks that wont be passin on genes this year
gamoshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 07:58 AM   #5
AnnaDraMoss
Sturgeon
 
AnnaDraMoss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Milwaukie,Oregon,USA
Posts: 3,855
Default Re: Lion Killed buck pics

Great trailcam location.
Pretty impressive how fast that animal was consumed and reduced to nothing.
__________________
You cannot multiply Wealth by dividing it!!
AnnaDraMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 08:17 AM   #6
Mainman38
Chromer
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Portland Oregon
Posts: 929
Default Re: Lion Killed buck pics

yeah that looks like a nice healthy deer to me. Well one less now in the woods
__________________
tag em and bag em
Mainman38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 08:28 AM   #7
Chug
Ifish Nate
 
Chug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Yamhill Co.
Posts: 2,856
Default Re: Lion Killed buck pics

Killing of Deer with Improper weapon!!.. Broke the Law!!.. Then Did not even tag deer upon Killing Deer.
VERY Bad Kitty Bad Kitty.. Legal Buck, Improper weapon used. Did not tag the harvest. tisk tisk tisk


Great photo's. too bad, you did not have a Trail Cam in your pack.. Would be Perfect set up. Fresh kill= photo's of killer.
__________________
- "UVA UVAM VIVENDO VARIA FIT! "



Last edited by Chug; 09-20-2009 at 08:40 AM. Reason: Nice photo
Chug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 08:38 AM   #8
RidgeRunner
Ifish Nate
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Forest Grove
Posts: 2,575
Default Re: Lion Killed buck pics

Great photos, I bet SP carries a trail cam in his pack from know on.
__________________
We put the wet stuff on the red stuff.
Working Smoke Alarms Save Lives.
RidgeRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 09:49 AM   #9
stlhdr1
Sturgeon
 
stlhdr1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Battle Ground WA
Posts: 4,687
Default Re: Lion Killed buck pics

Awesome photos... Ever get that feeling you were being watched?

Keith
stlhdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 09:54 AM   #10
Drifter2007
Tuna!
 
Drifter2007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Middle of no where near Sc10.
Posts: 1,018
Default Re: Lion Killed buck pics

Nice pic's! I am surprised that you didn't move one of your game cams to watch it, since you are the king of game cams!
Drifter2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 09:57 AM   #11
Big Unit
King Salmon
 
Big Unit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: McMinnville...East Hebo...GO CATS!
Posts: 8,467
Default Re: Lion Killed buck pics

Dear Fish and Wildlife. Look at Ron's photos.

Sincerely,

BU
__________________
Joining shaft and string triggers an acute awakening of latent senses unknowingly neglected. Intimate distance is the name of the game.
-Gene Wensel >>>--------->
Big Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 10:13 AM   #12
4th_Point
Chromer
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Hillsboro, OR
Posts: 990
Default Re: Lion Killed buck pics

Great photos. Thanks for taking the time to post this.
4th_Point is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 10:22 AM   #13
Bait O' Eggs
King Salmon
 
Bait O' Eggs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Amity
Posts: 12,218
Default Re: Lion Killed buck pics

Why didnt you get a trail cam on that buck?

Nice find and thanks for photo journaling it for the rest of us.
__________________
I married better than my wife did!!
Bait O' Eggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 10:34 AM   #14
sliverpicker
King Salmon
 
sliverpicker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: in the treetops by who goosed the moose
Posts: 5,609
Default Re: Lion Killed buck pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chug View Post
Killing of Deer with Improper weapon!!.. Broke the Law!!.. Then Did not even tag deer upon Killing Deer.
VERY Bad Kitty Bad Kitty.. Legal Buck, Improper weapon used. Did not tag the harvest. tisk tisk tisk


Great photo's. too bad, you did not have a Trail Cam in your pack.. Would be Perfect set up. Fresh kill= photo's of killer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RidgeRunner View Post
Great photos, I bet SP carries a trail cam in his pack from know on.
My hunting pack is stuffed as it is, maybe I can get a little Scoutguard or Bushnell to keep in my pack for just such an occasion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifter2007 View Post
Nice pic's! I am surprised that you didn't move one of your game cams to watch it, since you are the king of game cams!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bait O' Eggs View Post
Why didnt you get a trail cam on that buck?

Nice find and thanks for photo journaling it for the rest of us.
All my Tcams were deployed elsewhere. I came close to going and retrieving a cam, but it would've been dark by the time I got back with the cam and a little too creepy if you know what I mean.
__________________
Team Anti Copy & Paste
"stickbows...putting the arch back in archery"
"if you rattle, they will come!"
sliverpicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 11:05 AM   #15
Rbannerson
Steelhead
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 195
Default Re: Lion Killed buck pics

If there is any good in this, it is good to see NONE of that animal was wasted.
This clearly shows cats don't just single out the sick or injured.
With all the human scent left around that buck, it sure did not detour the cat from returning time and time again.
Great pics documenting this kill, it could not have been scripted any better than nature presented it.
Did you notice the cat tracks? Curious to know if there were multiple tracks, cubs etc..
That seems to be a lot of meat for a single cat to eat in a relatively short time.
Again, great job on the pics.
Rbannerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 02:10 PM   #16
SuperxJeff
Coho
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 63
Default Re: Lion Killed buck pics

That is exactly how a cat handles a kill and the time frame in which it is done. cats gorge until finished and will do it again usually for three days. Pure bull pucky about cougars taking the weak. They do not chase animals like a cheetah. They spot and stalk and take the animal that provides the best chance. The weak is a fallacy. Having seen 10 dead lambs with two dead ewes and only 2 lambs eaten it is a fact that nature does not only use what she can. I have seen weasels kill every chicken in a hen house and take only part of one hen. These old fallacies die hard. Sadly they are part of the reason the do-gooders were able to get the ban on cougar hunting with dogs.Jeff
SuperxJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 02:46 PM   #17
duckboy
King Salmon
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 5,459
Default Re: Lion Killed buck pics

Interesting thread. Good investigative report.

Great photos of it all too.
duckboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 03:11 PM   #18
Dave Smith
Sturgeon
 
Dave Smith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Dirka-Dirka-stan
Posts: 3,778
Default Re: Lion Killed buck pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperxJeff View Post
That is exactly how a cat handles a kill and the time frame in which it is done. cats gorge until finished and will do it again usually for three days. Pure bull pucky about cougars taking the weak. They do not chase animals like a cheetah. They spot and stalk and take the animal that provides the best chance. The weak is a fallacy. Having seen 10 dead lambs with two dead ewes and only 2 lambs eaten it is a fact that nature does not only use what she can. I have seen weasels kill every chicken in a hen house and take only part of one hen. These old fallacies die hard. Sadly they are part of the reason the do-gooders were able to get the ban on cougar hunting with dogs.Jeff
Great post- yeah the lady from the coalition to prevent the destruction of cougars in Oregon (Jefferson, Oregon) told me that cougars only single out the "weak and dieing" and this is true, if you count that a mature buck is "weak and dieing" only after having it's *** chewed on for a while by a cougar. Classic example of how cluelessness and emotion meet and start down a path of utter stupidity.......and then try to spread all the knowledge they've collected while sitting at a desk to the rest of the world!!!!!!
Great pics, Ron- you need that to happen during shed season or sometime when you don't have other tasks like trying to scewer a bull! Then you could set-up on that cat (or cats!) and ruin the dinner party!
DS
__________________
Hunt the X and you'll have a great day, avoid the X and you'll have a great SEASON

2010 appointee Oregon GOOSE TASK FORCE
Dave Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 04:57 PM   #19
Limbhanger
Sturgeon
 
Limbhanger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Mcminnville
Posts: 4,188
Default Re: Lion Killed buck pics

Awesome pics Ron, what a find.

That is amazing how much that cat ate through the night...I wonder if it could have been a female with yearlings or something like that.
__________________
Team Purist
Limbhanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 06:07 PM   #20
ling killer
Tuna!
 
ling killer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: oregon coast
Posts: 1,871
Default Re: Lion Killed buck pics

seen a monster 3 point in ukiah like that and my buddy kept messing with it and got ticks all over himself this was about may 13th, at about 4500 ft elevation, blue mountains

our find was quite a bit more decayed
ling killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 08:06 PM   #21
Nw dukn
Ifish Nate
 
Nw dukn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Tigard, Oregon
Posts: 3,031
Default Re: Lion Killed buck pics

Sweet pics..
__________________
"If it flies it dies, if it runs it gets gunned"
"If it doesn't have a "GREEN HEAD" it ain't a "DUCK"
Robert Glover
Nw dukn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 05:30 AM   #22
sliverpicker
King Salmon
 
sliverpicker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: in the treetops by who goosed the moose
Posts: 5,609
Default Re: Lion Killed buck pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limbhanger View Post
Awesome pics Ron, what a find.

That is amazing how much that cat ate through the night...I wonder if it could have been a female with yearlings or something like that.
Chad...just judging from the pugmarks, it looked like a large Tom did the deed.
__________________
Team Anti Copy & Paste
"stickbows...putting the arch back in archery"
"if you rattle, they will come!"
sliverpicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 09:56 AM   #23
oregonroseveltbull
Cutthroat
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 46
Default Re: Lion Killed buck pics

Awsome pics they need to bring back hunting cougars with hounds?
oregonroseveltbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 11:13 AM   #24
beaverheart
Steelhead
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Florence
Posts: 168
Default Re: Lion Killed buck pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Smith View Post
Great post- yeah the lady from the coalition to prevent the destruction of cougars in Oregon (Jefferson, Oregon) told me that cougars only single out the "weak and dieing" and this is true, if you count that a mature buck is "weak and dieing" only after having it's *** chewed on for a while by a cougar. Classic example of how cluelessness and emotion meet and start down a path of utter stupidity.......and then try to spread all the knowledge they've collected while sitting at a desk to the rest of the world!!!!!!
Great pics, Ron- you need that to happen during shed season or sometime when you don't have other tasks like trying to scewer a bull! Then you could set-up on that cat (or cats!) and ruin the dinner party!
DS
Tell your coalition lady that our lions do not have to select the weak, because they are more efficient killers than all the big cats. While an African lion may have a success to failure ratio of one to six and a cheetah probably even less, the mountain lion is a successful killer 85% of the time. Those are scientifically verifiable facts.
beaverheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 11:25 AM   #25
scubaseth
Chromer
 
scubaseth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Aloha
Posts: 998
Smile Re: Lion Killed buck pics

Neat pics as always! I don't think I would of went back into the area so easy knowing that cougar was still in the area. Kinda suprised that it took so long for it to start eating on the buck after the initial kill. I mean the hair looks to have been falling off.

Scuba
__________________
You gotta love those princess fishing poles!
scubaseth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 11:53 AM   #26
Audball
Chromer
 
Audball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Renton, WA
Posts: 714
Default Re: Lion Killed buck pics

Don't know about deer, but I've seen Cougars "kill" healthy Huskies for a long time... Go Cougs!!
Audball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 01:02 PM   #27
Huntnfish57
Tuna!
 
Huntnfish57's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Hillsboro, OR
Posts: 1,112
Default Re: Lion Killed buck pics

Those are some great pics bud. Definitely a textbook cougar kill.
__________________
"Bad day in the woods or on the river, still trumps a good day at work"
Huntnfish57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 01:20 PM   #28
Smoked Salmon
King Salmon
 
Smoked Salmon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 16,709
Default Re: Lion Killed buck pics

Impressive pics, thanks!
__________________

Smoked Salmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 03:35 PM   #29
schwag
Steelhead
 
schwag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Sherwood
Posts: 312
Default Re: Lion Killed buck pics

nice photos. Gracias
schwag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 08:16 AM   #30
sliverpicker
King Salmon
 
sliverpicker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: in the treetops by who goosed the moose
Posts: 5,609
Default Re: Lion Killed buck pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubaseth View Post
Neat pics as always! I don't think I would of went back into the area so easy knowing that cougar was still in the area. Kinda suprised that it took so long for it to start eating on the buck after the initial kill. I mean the hair looks to have been falling off.

Scuba
Actually, the kill was quite fresh. The buck's coat is/was transitioning from summer to winter, thus the 2-tone appearance.

I've been really close to some cat's over the years, so it doesn't bother me too much when I snoop around a kill scene. Besides, I had my recurve bow in hand! Heck, I spend the months of Nov, Dec, Jan, & Feb poking around a winter range and very seldom have more than rattling antlers and a camera on me. Not a day goes by that I don't at least see lion tracks in the mud or snow.
__________________
Team Anti Copy & Paste
"stickbows...putting the arch back in archery"
"if you rattle, they will come!"
sliverpicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 11:24 AM   #31
Scrillznac
Tuna!
 
Scrillznac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Creswell, OR
Posts: 1,163
Default Re: Lion Killed buck pics

That sucks the buck got killed but that was a very cool post!
__________________
Team NDCA
Scrillznac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 11:27 AM   #32
noreaster
Steelhead
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: goldendale wa.
Posts: 175
Default Re: Lion Killed buck pics

You can be sure that the cat was watching over its kill and watching you between trips for water. Ive read articles that state a grown man can fight off a cat, however the attacks come from behind or from the side and quickly, dont know how good a bow would be in that situation. A good long knife or pistol (if allowed) might give a person more of a chance. The pics are great.
__________________
When the tide goes out, the table is set.
noreaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 11:56 AM   #33
Dane0001
Coho
 
Dane0001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 77
Default Re: Lion Killed buck pics

Crazy pictures! It is sad that the mature bucks are picted off by these predators as they usually run alone and the cats don't have so many eyes, ears and noses to deal with. I hope that the rules change soon so that more efficient management tactics can be utalized by hunters
Dane0001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 07:21 PM   #34
Chug
Ifish Nate
 
Chug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Yamhill Co.
Posts: 2,856
Default Re: Lion Killed buck pics

Looks like a REALLY Healthy Deer.. A buck with full set of SHARP antlers.. Easy pickings for Cougars. They have more sharp points.

Guessing that cat eats really good... every other week.

Sent that photo, to some Greenies.. They were sickened by it.. hehehehe evil grins..
__________________
- "UVA UVAM VIVENDO VARIA FIT! "



Last edited by Chug; 09-23-2009 at 07:22 PM.
Chug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 07:36 PM   #35
Central OR Bowhunt
Tuna!
 
Central OR Bowhunt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Aumsville.
Posts: 1,696
Default Re: Lion Killed buck pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chug View Post
Looks like a REALLY Healthy Deer.. A buck with full set of SHARP antlers.. Easy pickings for Cougars. They have more sharp points.

Guessing that cat eats really good... every other week.

Sent that photo, to some Greenies.. They were sickened by it.. hehehehe evil grins..
Central OR Bowhunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 07:13 AM   #36
kneedeep
Coho
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Vancouver, wa
Posts: 86
Default Re: Lion Killed buck pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by sliverpicker View Post
Chad...just judging from the pugmarks, it looked like a large Tom did the deed.
You know I always thought that big cats buried their scat like their domestic feline brethren. Seems odd that that this one is leaving pugmarks in the open around a kill that it is moving every day to avoid detection.......comments?

Best Regards, Kneedeep.
kneedeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 09:25 AM   #37
Bait O' Eggs
King Salmon
 
Bait O' Eggs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Amity
Posts: 12,218
Default Re: Lion Killed buck pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by noreaster View Post
You can be sure that the cat was watching over its kill and watching you between trips for water. Ive read articles that state a grown man can fight off a cat, however the attacks come from behind or from the side and quickly, dont know how good a bow would be in that situation. A good long knife or pistol (if allowed) might give a person more of a chance. The pics are great.
You have obvioulsy never seen Sliverpicker in person Kitty would be foolish to mess around with Ron he might just have a short "stumpy" tail when Ron was done with it
__________________
I married better than my wife did!!
Bait O' Eggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 09:34 AM   #38
snag32
Chromer
 
snag32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Eugene
Posts: 847
Default Re: Lion Killed buck pics

I went over to a friends last night to see the 5X5 bull he shot in N.E. Oregon. He pulled out his camera and showed me a 3X3 muley buck he came upon. It was killed by a cat and quite a bit of one shoulder was eaten and some of one rump. This was a very healthy buck. The cat probably had a full belly and laying low not far away.
snag32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 10:00 AM   #39
sliverpicker
King Salmon
 
sliverpicker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: in the treetops by who goosed the moose
Posts: 5,609
Default Re: Lion Killed buck pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by kneedeep View Post
You know I always thought that big cats buried their scat like their domestic feline brethren. Seems odd that that this one is leaving pugmarks in the open around a kill that it is moving every day to avoid detection.......comments?

Best Regards, Kneedeep.
I used to think that also, but I've found lion scat next to fresh kills before. Weird thing is that the next day it's always gone? Don't know if the cat eats it, or if the ravens/vultures clean it up, but it's gone!

The tracks were near the carcass and on a nearby road, just a big set. I found some bear tracks on a dusty trail several hundred yards away, but none were found around this particular kill.

It seems like a cat will move a carcass every time it returns to feed. If the carcass is buried, then it usually will return. But when it's had it's fill they seem to just walk away from it unburied.

These are just my observations over quite a few years wandering in the woods and talking about it with guys who know mountain lions more than I.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bait O' Eggs View Post
You have obvioulsy never seen Sliverpicker in person Kitty would be foolish to mess around with Ron he might just have a short "stumpy" tail when Ron was done with it
Heck Roy, I've given cougars every opportunity in the world to take me and have their way with me, but I think they prefer the younger, more tender, and less worldly type!
__________________
Team Anti Copy & Paste
"stickbows...putting the arch back in archery"
"if you rattle, they will come!"
sliverpicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Cast to



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 02:04 PM.

Terms of Service
Page generated in 0.64809 seconds with 59 queries