Sprague unit - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Hunting

Old 08-26-2009, 07:13 AM   #1
STINGRAY
Steelhead

Default Sprague unit

A buddy and I put Sprague as 3rd choice for elk and got it, we have never hunted this area and was hopping someone can give info on an area to check out, we are going down to scout in two weeks so any help would be great.

Old 08-26-2009, 07:25 AM   #2
Fresh Tracks
Steelhead

Default Re: Sprague unit

Honestly and Seriously you be better off doing a general hunt somewhere else.
Fresh Tracks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 07:31 AM   #3
Jeremy
Ifish Nate

I have hunted it for deer, didnt see many deer except for the monster one guy in our group got and heard thats its even a tougher unit for elk, kind of the same conditions as Silver Lake, if the Elk arent there your in trouble.
Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 10:42 AM   #4
mangler
Steelhead

Shot ya a PM Stingray. There's elk over there, they just don't like to be found that well.
mangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 10:44 AM   #5
fishn machine
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by STINGRAY View Post
A buddy and I put Sprague as 3rd choice for elk and got it, we have never hunted this area and was hopping someone can give info on an area to check out, we are going down to scout in two weeks so any help would be great.
very lousy unit hunted it once was there for ten days we saw 4 does and one spork for three of us... Watch out for indian camps, do ot trespass on there land!!
fishn machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 11:09 AM   #6
Eagleclaw
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishn machine View Post
... Watch out for indian camps, do ot trespass on there land!!

they don't own the land anymore.. it's national forest. they have hunting rights to their old reservation but they don't own the land
Eagleclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 11:20 AM   #7
jvp
Sturgeon

that area is legally poached to death. last time i had that hunt they shot 8 elk out of the herd the day before season.
Old 08-26-2009, 12:08 PM   #8
mangler
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagleclaw View Post
they don't own the land anymore.. it's national forest. they have hunting rights to their old reservation but they don't own the land

Does anyone know the actuall boundries they can hunt or who you can call to find out? I keep hearing alot of horror stories farther up north in Silver Lake and I keep hearing different reports on where they can legally hunt.
mangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 12:37 PM   #9
fishn machine
Steelhead

Quote:
That is good to know... Still not very much game over there and what you see is usually running so fast that you will never get a good shot anyways.. When did they make that national forest land?? We were there probablt 6 or 8 years ago and there were some old abandoned camps with trash and what ever else you can think of scattered everywhere.
Old 08-26-2009, 12:39 PM   #10
Eagleclaw
King Salmon

Quote:
That is good to know... Still not very much game over there and what you see is usually running so fast that you will never get a good shot anyways.. When did they make that national forest land?? We were there probablt 6 or 8 years ago and there were some old abandoned camps with trash and what ever else you can think of scattered everywhere.

i believe they disbanded the reservation back in the 70's don't quote me on that. they sold their tribal land to the Government but kept their hunting and fishing rights on their old tribal land
Eagleclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 12:45 PM   #11
fishn machine
Steelhead

Quote:
i believe they disbanded the reservation back in the 70's don't quote me on that. they sold their tribal land to the Government but kept their hunting and fishing rights on their old tribal land
Wow!! Sure was a mess when we were there.. Thats too bad good looking country over there!
Old 08-26-2009, 03:10 PM   #12
baltz526
King Salmon

i have killed elk in the sprague unit, we had a 50% success when it was an any elk tag. the bulls where few and far between until they migrate in from the crater lake national park side of the highway. there are a few local elk on the south side of klamath marsh i have seen years where there was a couple hundred elk and years where we chased a small group everyday where i bet there was less than 30 elk in the area we where hunting. in the 4 years we hunted it every day of season, we never got a bull. one year i killed the lead cow and the big herd bull was in the group, but it is so thick in the bottoms i did not see him till my tag was used. tag is only good east of 97 If you hunt it hard, stay in the bottoms till you find the elk, then track them all day every day, you might see an elk, antlers will be just plain luck.
Old 08-26-2009, 03:34 PM   #13
STINGRAY
Steelhead

Wow, ya'll are making me nervious, should I take furs for trading, I will get a good map and make some scouting trips trips, it's funny when you put in for 3rd or 4th choice thinking " I wont get those" then do! Oh well, hunting is hunting, hopefully I will be sharing some elk pics.

thanks for the info
Old 08-26-2009, 04:24 PM   #14
spottedhawk36
Ifish Nate

Quote:
very lousy unit hunted it once was there for ten days we saw 4 does and one spork for three of us... Watch out for indian camps, do ot trespass on there land!!
i know alot of indians have camping spots that are theres along the willamson river around the rocky ford area, ya i wouldnt be camping in those spots, as far as the klamath falls unit, sprague, silver lake unit those game units are part pf the old reservation and those areas get hunted ALOT by the indians, my family is actually in the klamath tribes so thats why i know this, i wouldnt put in for those units if i was hunting general east rifle i would put in some place else but you already have the tag so good luck. they dont own there reservation the sold the timber rights and all that back in the 70's and it became the winema national forest but they did retain there hunting, fishing and gathering rights. hope this helps.
spottedhawk36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 02:35 PM   #15
bryansummers06
Fry

Quote:
Im glad you asked, i got that tag this year to and was kinda wondering were to start scouting? good lookin country over there but i know it doesnt hold alot of elk. Oh well huntin is huntin. Good luck
bryansummers06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 07:05 AM   #16
STINGRAY
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansummers06 View Post
Im glad you asked, i got that tag this year to and was kinda wondering were to start scouting? good lookin country over there but i know it doesnt hold alot of elk. Oh well huntin is huntin. Good luck
Here is where we could help each other out, I am hunting with one other other guy this year, we could exchange scouting info. I will PM ya
Old 08-28-2009, 07:44 AM   #17
Jeremy
Ifish Nate

When we hunted there a couple years ago, most of the "indian" camps on the williamson were cleared out by Wednesday after opening day i talked to a couple of them and they had been down there for about a month prior to the opener. Saw lots of them driving the roads on 4-wheelers but we never really ran into anyone period once we got off the roads about .5 miles or so. Lots of shooting in the area after dark though.
Old 08-28-2009, 08:18 AM   #18
jvp
Sturgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
Lots of shooting in the area after dark though.
that's when hunting hours start. usually after a while a the local watering hole
Old 08-28-2009, 09:48 AM   #19
STINGRAY
Steelhead

They can leagally hunt after dark???? I did not know this
Old 08-28-2009, 09:55 AM   #20
Jeremy
Ifish Nate

Quote:
They can leagally hunt after dark???? I did not know this
I dont think so, didnt say they were hunting legally, i dont think your supposed to ride a 4-wheeler with a loaded rifle either...
Old 08-28-2009, 10:16 AM   #21
Klamanite
Ifish Nate

Pretty sure the tribal members can hunt very liberal "seasons" and with spotlights after dark. Not exactly my definition of hunting, but it's within their rights.
Klamanite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 10:23 AM   #22
Steve C99
Coho

That is a tough area to hunt unless you know it, and it is tough to hunt it enough to get to know it well enough. You will most always find yourself one jump behind somebody who knows it. The forest is chock full of dense Lodgepole growth, and out in the woods, it is not easy to see in or navigate either.

I do not hunt that unit, but have spent a lot of time in it, especially from the Klamath Marsh south to Williamson River Road. I have seen the most elk just south of the marsh, in the area of the junction of the Silver Lake Road, and Military Crossing Road, just to the south of there.
Steve C99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 11:44 AM   #23
jvp
Sturgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klamanite View Post
Pretty sure the tribal members can hunt very liberal "seasons" and with spotlights after dark. Not exactly my definition of hunting, but it's within their rights.
no they can not but do.
Old 08-28-2009, 12:13 PM   #24
Steve C99
Coho

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvp View Post
no they can not but do.
The Klamath tribe have "rights" to "Hunt, Fish, and Gather" on their ancestral lands (although not on private ground within). They are not subject to the regulations of non tribal mambers. We may not like it, but it is what is is.
Steve C99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 12:24 PM   #25
OutdoorBum
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve C99 View Post
That is a tough area to hunt unless you know it, and it is tough to hunt it enough to get to know it well enough. You will most always find yourself one jump behind somebody who knows it. The forest is chock full of dense Lodgepole growth, and out in the woods, it is not easy to see in or navigate either.

I do not hunt that unit, but have spent a lot of time in it, especially from the Klamath Marsh south to Williamson River Road. I have seen the most elk just south of the marsh, in the area of the junction of the Silver Lake Road, and Military Crossing Road, just to the south of there.

Yep. South of the marsh gets absolutely drilled during the season. Two years ago I was there and the hunters were thick!
"There is in every American, I think, something of the old Daniel Boone--who, when he would see the smoke from another chimney, felt himself too crowded and moved further out into the wilderness" Hubert H. Humphrey
OutdoorBum is online now   Reply With Quote