Grilling salmon on my Traeger???? - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Life in General

Old 08-09-2003, 12:15 AM   #1
ORrinker
Steelhead

Default Grilling salmon on my Traeger????

Okay fellow Traeger owners does anyone have any great methods or recipes for cooking salmon on my Traeger. My wife picked up some skin-on filets the other day and I have never cooked salmon on a grill, much less a Traeger before.

Thanks in advance!!!!

Randy

[ 08-08-2003, 12:16 PM: Message edited by: ORrinker ]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2003, 12:30 AM   #2
pdxkevin
Ifish Nate

Default Re: Grilling salmon on my Traeger????

Did you get the one shaped like a pink pig?

It is the only one that I know. I am sure that they make more...

How would it differ from cooking over wood/coals in any other grill with a lid?
Old 08-09-2003, 12:56 AM   #3
ORrinker
Steelhead

No I got the Texas Style which is the biggest. The pig and steer are kinda cool looking but do not have nearly as much cooking area.
It differs in that you do not have to deal with flame-ups and you have very good control of the heat. By that I am referring to the optional thermostat control that allows me to adjust in 25 degree increments from 180(smoke)to 450. I have never did salmon on any grill before so this is all new to me. I have only had the Traeger for a couple of weeks.

Randy

[ 08-08-2003, 12:57 PM: Message edited by: ORrinker ]
Old 08-14-2003, 09:42 AM   #4
bassin
Ifish Nate

ORrinker, I will pick mine up on Monday. How do you like it so far? Any thing I should have to go with it?
bassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2003, 10:57 AM   #5
northriver1
Ifish Nate

The chicken is out of this world cooked on a Traeger. Use the cook book as a guide but do experiment. I like to cook my food longer on the low heat, love that taste. Only dissappoint so far or the steaks. Just can't get the old BBQ taste, yet. Smoke a whole coho and take it to the next party you go to and you will have an open invitation to come back for life.
northriver1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2003, 11:17 AM   #6
reeldick
Tuna!

I always start my salmon out on the grill with the meat side down so I get the nice grill marks on the meat.(Looks good) Let it cook for a few minutes then flip it over so the skin side is down and let it finish cooking. The meat will slide right off the skin when it is done. I then scrape the skin off the grill and it goes in the garbage.
Seasoning is up to you. There have been lots of threads on all the possibilities. Look some of them up, there have been some great recipes.
reeldick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2003, 11:46 AM   #7
Pyramid
Chromer

I saw Emeril Lagase (sp) cook a salmon fillet skin side down on a ceder shingle.. I never knew you could do that, but he's got a good enough rep that I'd try it.

[ 08-14-2003, 11:46 AM: Message edited by: Chinookster ]
Old 08-15-2003, 12:33 AM   #8
Killertraylor
Sturgeon

Chinookster - that's actually a very popular way to cook salmon. I know lots of folks who do it, including myself.

I don't know if a Traeger cooks the same as a regular bbq, but I always do my salmon skin side down in a foil boat to keep it from burning as it cooks all the way through. Usually takes about 20-30 minutes on medium high heat on my regular Char-broil gas bbq. Keep basting the fillet with whatever sauce you use. My favorite is the Caravelle Thai sweet chili sauce.

Had some excellent salmon the other night at ZZZZZzzzzzz's house that he did this way and kept basting it with Yoshida's gourmet sauce as it was cooking. Let us know what works on that Traeger as I'll probably get one as my next grill.
Killertraylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2003, 10:41 AM   #9
ORrinker
Steelhead

Bassin, congratulations on your new Traeger. Where are you buying it at? I purchased mine at the factory and I think I got an exceptional deal there. If you are interested I can give you the details of my deal so you can compare or have them match it. Besides that you can also purchase 40lb bags of pellets there for only $16.

I love mine!!! I think in the last 3 weeks we have only not cooked on it about 3 times.

I have also been having fun trying all kinds of new recipes.

If I were you I would definitely get the front shelf and the upgraded thermostat. If you do purchase at the factory make sure you pick up plenty of pellets while you are there. The starter pack you get gives you 30lbs of pellets and I purchased another 40lb bag but I will have to head back down there within the next couple of weeks to get more. That's okay cuz I wanna buy more accessories anyway:-)

Randy
Old 08-15-2003, 10:57 AM   #10
bassin
Ifish Nate

ORrinker: I am picking it up at the factory. I think I got a good deal. I checked with the dealer in Vancouver and The Factory prices were MUCH better.
I think the shelf is a must have also. I had planned to pick up at least 80lbs of fuel along with the starter pac 30lb.
Am getting the in hood thermometer, Cover, shelf, Cook book,30lbs starter pellets, apron. And I will need to shop their Rubs and sauces.
What Kind of deal did you get from them?
Old 08-15-2003, 11:05 AM   #11
ORrinker
Steelhead

Bassin, I got the starter kit which includes the cover, 30lbs pellets, rub and sauce samplers, meat thermometer, and cookbook. I also got the front shelf and the upgraded thermostat that lets you adjust the temp in 25 degree intervals. I paid 875 for all that? How does that compare to your price?

Randy
Old 08-15-2003, 11:16 AM   #12
bassin
Ifish Nate

You got a better deal. am at 877.00 without the upgraded thermo stat. Who did you you work with? I have been dealing with Chris.
Old 08-15-2003, 11:25 AM   #13
ORrinker
Steelhead

I was also dealing with Chris. I did not get the dome thermometer but it does look like my deal was slightly better. Did you negotiate this over the phone? He knew that I was already looking at one of the online retailers that had a package deal in addition to a extra 10 percent off in July. They are also offering the same deal for August at http://www.traegergrills.com/index.htm

I have the invoice but it is at home. You should be able to negotiate the same deal.

Randy
Old 08-15-2003, 11:28 AM   #14
bassin
Ifish Nate

Thanks, I will give it a try. I will let you know how I did Monday.
Old 08-15-2003, 11:32 AM   #15
ORrinker
Steelhead

I am looking forward how it goes for you.

So do you have a big break in bbq planned? You will enjoy it!!!!

Randy
Old 08-16-2003, 10:57 PM   #16
FishOrDie
Steelhead

Hi guys,
I am a born and raised Mt. Angel boy! Living in Corvallis for school GO BEAVS!. I grew up with all of the Treager's. I had the Grand kids in School with me, Randy and Mark T as football coaches.
Onto the salmon - Make a nice foil boat and fill it with goodies we usually use Garlic butter onions, salt, and pepper, a little lemon juice mixed in. Cook it on medium for about 15-20 min. or until the meat falls away from the skin. It is Wonderful.

The secret to the steaks is that you need to smoke it for about 15 min. before you really cook it. The meat soaks up the smoke flavor - Use mesquite or hickory for amazing flavor - it also turns a pretty shade of red about 1/4 of an inch into the skin of the steak. Once you have soaked it in the smoke sufficiently cook it as usual, I think you will be quite happy.

Quick suggestion - Try a Turkey - It is absolutely heaven

Enjoy

NOW YOUR COOKING!

FOD
FishOrDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2003, 08:42 AM   #17
bassin
Ifish Nate

ORrinker: Well we drove down and picked it up. Drove home and put it togetter seasoned it and did T bones. They were great.
We ended up not getting the dial in temp control. I stayed with the 3 way temp control. This week end, tri tip.......
Old 08-19-2003, 01:53 PM   #18
bassin
Ifish Nate

I will do that. The gal in the shop said that the beans, using the Jack danials was to die for.
And you can do a 50lb pig........... So much meat so little time
Old 08-20-2003, 12:30 AM   #19
ORrinker
Steelhead

Congratulations!!!! You will love it.
I did beer can chicken on it the other day and it turned out awesome. Try doing corn on the cob on it using the recipe in the Traeger cookbook.

Randy
Old 08-20-2003, 10:08 AM   #20
Wang
Ifish Nate

Stay away from buying there cover. Way to much money for it as you can get a nice one at Walamrt for $15 give or take a couple bucks. Pick up a u-bake pizza and throw it on there. Its the best pizza if you like crispy pizza.
Wang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2003, 10:15 AM   #21
ORrinker
Steelhead

I had them throw in a cover as part of the deal so I got it even cheaper than Walmart
The only problem with one from Walmart is that they would not be made to fit over the chimney :depressed:

Wow, that is a great idea on the pizza. What temp should I cook it at? I will definitely try that.

Randy
Old 08-20-2003, 10:43 AM   #22
Wang
Ifish Nate

Its does sound like you got a good deal. The one I got from Wal Mart actually works very well over the chimney.

Dont have temp control so...

I start it on low until the cheese starts to melt than I put it on high until cheese melted and bottom is crispy.

If your ever in a pinch for pellets they carry them at Roths IGA. None in Portland area so the closest one would be Woodburn. Not sure if all Roths have them but the one in Keizer and Silverton do.

Bill
Wang is offline   Reply With Quote