great white clarity - www.ifish.net
Leave no Dog Behind

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > The Salty Dogs

Old 08-09-2009, 06:29 PM   #1
gatherfishandgame
Chromer

Default great white clarity

searaider here,to clarify our fish,first we were goin tuna fishin,and crabbin as a secondary harvist,also maybe some salmon fishin,we fished fri and picked up a few tuna thanks to id painter calling us in on some ,thankyou id.

at the cleaning station we picked up some fresh salmon carcuses from another fisher,and put them in some of the cheap square wire pots ,rigged up with a 4way to oneline pull setup so when you lift the pots they come up leval.we use a crabbin davit arm and snatch block ,to pull the pots by hand as we only go to 100'and need the exercize.

we pulled the pots fri and again sat am.and rebaited and headed out to tuna fish we tried the same location as the previous day and didnt do to good so grand slam said he'd share some of his fish if i could catch em.we had some luck,but not as much as some fish hogs named jack and roy.boy are they lucky or what.way to go you tigars.

anyway back to the crabpots and the great white ,upon our return to pots at 7ish my friend jj was grunting a little more on pot #4 then his usual grunting.after about 10 or 15 min up he comes dead by drowning.stuck between the gills and front fins in our 4way lift line.as near as i can figure he came in crushed the pot and by doin so collasped the lines around his gills.we called osu and fish and game and were told to bring it to port,they didnt believe it to be a great white even tho my friend jj had cought them before altho not this large.

ive been divin around lots of sharks before ,but also not this large of shark.12'4" tip to tip.as big around as a 55gal barrel ,and inside his tummi was a small porpous.or dolphin ,yes the troopers did come,and coastgaurd were their for a while but thank goodness for those guys they have a job to do and protect all our resources.its a mixed emotion seein such a beautiful large fish die,kinda the same feelin i get when iam lookin a a beautiful bull elk iam about to clean.thank you lord for each of your creations that we are to care for ,and use with gratitude.

the great white was hauled to osu marine sience center.lots of pictures to follow as soon as i can get some one that knows how to send um

gatherfishandgame is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2009, 06:55 PM   #2
Twitch
Sturgeon

Default Re: great white clarity

Thanks for the info, interesting for sure.

When I walked up to retrieve my friends truck, I saw the commotion and thought, "Man, someone must have finally landed a BFT!", then I walked over and saw it.

Did you happen to get any pics of it caught up in the crab pot wreckage? Those would be neat to see. We snared a sea lion the same way in Yaquina bay years ago, tahnkfully the cheap nylon rope tore apart and he broke free while we were being pulled around.
Old 08-09-2009, 09:36 PM   #3
EVERREADY
Chromer

Needs to go to the top.
EVERREADY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 09:39 PM   #4
gatherfishandgame
Chromer

iam pretty sure we have pictures of the shark still on the rope.but have not looked myself to see if the trap stuff is visable as the head we see iis down and the way it came up is tail first.we could see the problem but dont know how much will show up in the pictures
Old 08-09-2009, 09:41 PM   #5
stream
Ifish Nate

Ok now I get it thanks for the rest of the story
Old 08-09-2009, 09:47 PM   #6
wannacatchem
Ifish Nate

Good on you to provide the clarity...

A few of us were worried about how you were going to come out what with all the cops and coasties there. I heard you mention you may be in trouble. (I'm the guy your wife asked to take pics of you and the crew with the tuna)

Would be nice to see your pics and keep us posted.... If you send me your email... I have a short video I took from the ramp to the cleaning station.

Last edited by wannacatchem; 08-09-2009 at 09:47 PM. Reason: can't spel
wannacatchem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 09:51 PM   #7
boelkhtr
Chromer

WOW!

SeaRader thank you for the information on the radio Saturday out 45X125 area, Did a good piece of learning out there, got two fish and saw alot of cool stuff.

Nothing as cool as the story you've got. One for the books for sure!

Herman
boelkhtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 10:17 PM   #8
Bait O' Eggs
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatherfishandgame View Post
....we had some luck,but not as much as some fish hogs named jack and roy.boy are they lucky or what.
I was going to quit at 7 or 8 fish but you know Jack he fishes like he drinks whiskey

I certainly dont have a great white to my credit like you, but did have a 7 or 8 foot shark chasing a tuna around the boat Saturday. Not sure what he was, he wasnt a blue though.
Old 08-09-2009, 10:40 PM   #9
Danderson
Ifish Nate

Thank's for sharing the Story with us curious fisherman....

That had to be one heck of a site pulling that in thinking you had the biggest crab haul of the century after all that grunting to get it up...
Old 08-09-2009, 10:48 PM   #10
mangler
Steelhead

That's insane, I can't wait for the pics. wannacatchem- throw that video on youtube for all of us to see.
mangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 11:01 PM   #11
PoiToy
Steelhead

Wow, searaider. glad you guys caught some fish, we were right behind you and trolled SE. Picked up a few, made a new course and picked up some headed home. Glad you guys are safe.
Old 08-09-2009, 11:44 PM   #12
wannacatchem
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangler View Post
That's insane, I can't wait for the pics. wannacatchem- throw that video on youtube for all of us to see.
done
Old 08-10-2009, 12:26 AM   #13
Peace Of Mind
Fry

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannacatchem View Post
done
Thanks for posting the video! Great job!

Last edited by Peace Of Mind; 08-10-2009 at 12:33 AM.
Peace Of Mind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 06:47 AM   #14
Eaglecap
Chromer

Hey Dick,

What a trip you had. It will be hard to top that catch!!!!!!!!!!!!

take care,
Jack
Eaglecap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 07:22 AM   #15
mbschaumann
Fry

Great Story!!! Going crabbing tomorrow but I don't think I'll be able to top that!
mbschaumann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 07:54 AM   #16
Chromaflage
King Salmon

Dick,

Fantastic story!! Who would have thought they'd be able to tell a story like "I went crabbing and caught a great white?" Can't wait to see the pics. If you need help posting them, let me know.
Old 08-10-2009, 08:59 AM   #17
Fishing Buzzard
Steelhead

Thanks for the story and i got to tell ya that fish looks similar to the fish that took my salmon rigging Friday. Had something really big dang near spool me till I tighten my drag so it would break off. It rolled once and man was it something big.
Fishing Buzzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 09:06 AM   #18
5-Cents
King Salmon

I made comment on the video thread of "why would you kill it"... sorry about that, I guess you didnt kill it. What a strange way to "catch" a shark.

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing. ~Babylonian Proverb

http://twitter.com/5CentZ
5-Cents is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 10:28 AM   #19
crabbait
King Salmon

I broke up the paragraph in the original post in this thread to make it a little easier to read. Didn't change a word.
crabbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 04:12 PM   #20
FearNoFishy
Chromer

So any word on the pictures?

"Call A Buddy Fishin' and Huntin' Guide Service" *
*NOT A REAL GUIDE SERVICE*
FearNoFishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 04:17 PM   #21
Rbannerson
Steelhead

Great posting.
I for one am happy to hear the real story instead of all the speculative back seaters.
This is why we all should hold opinions until the truth is told and people won't seem so foolish posting the what if's and I betcha's.
I bet you are happy that thing was dead before it came up.
Again, thank you for sharing the true report with us.
Rbannerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 04:44 PM   #22
Irish Pennant
Sturgeon

Quote:
,upon our return to pots at 7ish my friend jj was grunting a little more on pot #4 then his usual grunting.after about 10 or 15 min up he comes dead by drowning.stuck between the gills and front fins in our 4way lift line.as near as i can figure he came in crushed the pot and by doin so collasped the lines around his gills.we called osu and fish and game and were told to bring it to port,they didnt believe it to be a great white even tho my friend jj had cought them before altho not this large.
This just jarred my memory. I was salmon fishing about that time when I seen what looked like your boat heading in towards the crabbing area, on plane. It must have been just a short time later that i heard your radio call asking for an ID on a shark type.
Old 08-10-2009, 04:58 PM   #23
gatherfishandgame
Chromer

2009 great white and random034.jpg
pulling
Old 08-10-2009, 05:20 PM   #24
butwhymalemodels
Ifish Nate

More! More!
butwhymalemodels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 05:44 PM   #25
Johnny Bowles

JUST watching the news and they said the OSP was going to cite you for bringing the fish in said you should have let it be crab bait. Seems likea revenue tactic to say bring er in then say hear is a ticket.
The other thing the news reported is that since you gutted & removed liver & other insides they could not do a proper netopsy ?

Anyway GOOD on you to do the right thing & do as the authorities ASKED

Johnny Bowles
JB & Water Sportfishing

Quote:
searaider here,to clarify our fish,first we were goin tuna fishin,and crabbin as a secondary harvist,also maybe some salmon fishin,we fished fri and picked up a few tuna thanks to id painter calling us in on some ,thankyou id.

at the cleaning station we picked up some fresh salmon carcuses from another fisher,and put them in some of the cheap square wire pots ,rigged up with a 4way to oneline pull setup so when you lift the pots they come up leval.we use a crabbin davit arm and snatch block ,to pull the pots by hand as we only go to 100'and need the exercize.

we pulled the pots fri and again sat am.and rebaited and headed out to tuna fish we tried the same location as the previous day and didnt do to good so grand slam said he'd share some of his fish if i could catch em.we had some luck,but not as much as some fish hogs named jack and roy.boy are they lucky or what.way to go you tigars.

anyway back to the crabpots and the great white ,upon our return to pots at 7ish my friend jj was grunting a little more on pot #4 then his usual grunting.after about 10 or 15 min up he comes dead by drowning.stuck between the gills and front fins in our 4way lift line.as near as i can figure he came in crushed the pot and by doin so collasped the lines around his gills.we called osu and fish and game and were told to bring it to port,they didnt believe it to be a great white even tho my friend jj had cought them before altho not this large.

ive been divin around lots of sharks before ,but also not this large of shark.12'4" tip to tip.as big around as a 55gal barrel ,and inside his tummi was a small porpous.or dolphin ,yes the troopers did come,and coastgaurd were their for a while but thank goodness for those guys they have a job to do and protect all our resources.its a mixed emotion seein such a beautiful large fish die,kinda the same feelin i get when iam lookin a a beautiful bull elk iam about to clean.thank you lord for each of your creations that we are to care for ,and use with gratitude.

the great white was hauled to osu marine sience center.lots of pictures to follow as soon as i can get some one that knows how to send um

FETHA STYX RODS
AVET REELS

Ifish member # 305

John Bowles Real Estate
Real Estate Biz for 30 years
503.812.FISH (3474)
Johnny Bowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 05:58 PM   #26
Teton
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabbait View Post
I broke up the paragraph in the original post in this thread to make it a little easier to read. . .
A little easier. . . I think I got the gist of it, in general. Thx Crabby.

BTW, good on you GFG to share the full story.
Old 08-10-2009, 06:03 PM   #27
Duz
Steelhead

awsome post.... any more pics?
Duz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 06:03 PM   #28
mangler
Steelhead

Quote:
done

You'll have to forgive my computer stupidity, but I can't find it. You wouldn't happen to have a link would you?

edit- Nevermind, I just needed to scroll down further.

Last edited by mangler; 08-10-2009 at 06:06 PM.
mangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 06:06 PM   #29
butwhymalemodels
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by big juan View Post
JUST watching the news and they said the OSP was going to cite you for bringing the fish in said you should have let it be crab bait. Seems likea revenue tactic to say bring er in then say hear is a ticket.
The other thing the news reported is that since you gutted & removed liver & other insides they could not do a proper netopsy ?

Anyway GOOD on you to do the right thing & do as the authorities ASKED

Johnny Bowles
JB & Water Sportfishing
The authorities must have lied!
Old 08-10-2009, 06:43 PM   #30
gatherfishandgame
Chromer

from the horses mouth

Great White shark caught drowned in crab trap out of Depoe bay port
http://s687.photobucket.com/albums/v...erfishandgame/

Old 08-10-2009, 06:45 PM   #31
FearNoFishy
Chromer

All I can say is Wow.. that is crazy I would have paid to see the expression on your face when it came up.

Old 08-10-2009, 06:48 PM   #32
Danderson
Ifish Nate

Thanks for sharing Your Photo's with us...Very Interesting

I Still think as you were pulling the crab pot you must of thought you hit the mother load lol...

I love the Aeriel photo of all the people pulling out there cell phones and Camera's...LOL
Old 08-10-2009, 06:49 PM   #33
gatherfishandgame
Chromer

follow up on great white caught in crab trap

Old 08-10-2009, 06:55 PM   #34
butwhymalemodels
Ifish Nate

Dang. I don't know why I was picturing that the porpoise would be in great, pristine condition! You're braver than me touching that thing without gloves.
Old 08-10-2009, 07:14 PM   #35
FearNoFishy
Chromer

I just had a thought.. did you guys atleast get to keep a tooth?

Old 08-10-2009, 08:34 PM   #36
Sliderite
Steelhead

That is amazing and thanks for the pics. I was just curious why you would gut or at least open up the body cavity when you knew the OSP or ODFW would be showing up soon. You said you were told to bring it in and you could be sure the authorities would be there soon. I don't doubt the demise of the shark is other than you said.
Sliderite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 09:47 PM   #37
gatherfishandgame
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliderite View Post
That is amazing and thanks for the pics. I was just curious why you would gut or at least open up the body cavity when you knew the OSP or ODFW would be showing up soon. You said you were told to bring it in and you could be sure the authorities would be there soon. I don't doubt the demise of the shark is other than you said.
we are working on getting the jaws,and we did get a free boat exam,again,
Old 08-10-2009, 09:50 PM   #38
Etonfish
Tuna!

KATU (I know I know, that site should be blocked) is reporting that you were cited.

http://www.katu.com/outdoors/news/52918742.html

"there is no way to tell what killed the shark"? Did they see the pictures? I guess they thought you just manhandled that little shark into the crab pot lines to fake a picture. I really shouldn't be looking at KATU anymore.

Last edited by Etonfish; 08-10-2009 at 09:55 PM.
Etonfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 09:51 PM   #39
gatherfishandgame
Chromer

Quote:
we are working on getting the jaws,and we did get a free boat exam,again,
also no ticket was was recieved,by any of us.as it was clear to all what happened by the rope burns around the fishy.we did not gaff,harpoon.stab,shoot ,or hurt the fish in any way.searaider out
Old 08-10-2009, 09:55 PM   #40
Etonfish
Tuna!

Quote:
also no ticket was was recieved,by any of us.as it was clear to all what happened by the rope burns around the fishy.we did not gaff,harpoon.stab,shoot ,or hurt the fish in any way.searaider out
I'm glad to hear that. I hope it stays that way.
Old 08-10-2009, 10:03 PM   #41
Hook-Line-N-Sinker
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by butwhymalemodels View Post
Dang. I don't know why I was picturing that the porpoise would be in great, pristine condition! You're braver than me touching that thing without gloves.
It'll smoke up just fine....
Old 08-10-2009, 10:24 PM   #42
olybirds
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliderite View Post

I was thinking the same thing....
Old 08-10-2009, 11:10 PM   #43
Willis
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etonfish View Post
I'm glad to hear that. I hope it stays that way.

expecting something else? fairly clear what happened with all the pics.....its like everyone is waiting for some wrong doing on there part to be found out so they can pounce on them.
Old 08-10-2009, 11:41 PM   #44
bluehewes
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willis View Post
expecting something else? fairly clear what happened with all the pics.....its like everyone is waiting for some wrong doing on there part to be found out so they can pounce on them.

Thanks for sharing! Amazing stuff there.

bluehewes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 12:13 AM   #45
Sliderite
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by olybirds View Post
I was thinking the same thing....
I think I worded my post wrong. I meant to say that I believe the shark died as he said in crab ropes. I just wondered why they gutted the shark rather than just leave it intact so that the marine biologists could do their thing and knowing they would be there soon after they arrived at port.
Sliderite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 12:26 AM   #46
Smoked Salmon
King Salmon

I think the answer is that we all don't make the right (and by right I mean perfect for everyone) decisions all the time. It's tough to second guess someone else's decision, as they are ... someone else. They think differently than you. So, lets just assume that these guys were doing things that they didn't consider would be detrimental.

We all talk about stomach contents, and finding out what the fish are eating, and I can well imagine that the same went on here. I can even imagine hearing something like "Let's see what it was eating! Do ya think a seal or sea lion?"

So, let's just drop that line of interrogation. But, as a learning tool, this is great. ODFW should have asked them, over the radio or cell, to keep the animal intact. And, from now on, us salty fishers know to keep the animal intact if it's being returned to shore for a third party.

Smoked Salmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 01:01 AM   #47
Reel Obsession
King Salmon

I think they were looking for the rest of their crab trab.

I fish because that's what the voices in my head tell me to do.
Reel Obsession is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 06:37 AM   #48
Phil Layer
Ifish Nate

Amazing!...the garbage you are having to endure over the Youtube video. I feel bad for ya, man, and applaud you for conducting yourself the way you are.

Those Petiots will no doubt demand that we sharkproof our crabpot lines.

It is a strange world we live in.
Old 08-11-2009, 06:37 AM   #49
TEC
Steelhead

I saw a report on KXLY about this. Their story said that the Shark was assumed dead but started thrashing around in the parking lot and almost bit someone. It later died from being out of the water and injuries received during handling.

Just makes you wonder where their sources come from.
TEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 09:54 AM   #50
Whodaman
Cutthroat

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEC View Post
I saw a report on KXLY about this. Their story said that the Shark was assumed dead but started thrashing around in the parking lot and almost bit someone. It later died from being out of the water and injuries received during handling.

I had heard the same story. Crazy. I'm suprised they would report an unconfirmed story. Not very smart for a professional news organization.

Congrats on the fish story of all fish storys. That is totally awesome!!!!!!!! Great pics too. It just confirms why I dont swim in the Ocean. I could definately be confused with an Elephant Seal
Whodaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 10:00 AM   #51
Reel Obsession
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whodaman View Post
Crazy. I'm suprised they would report an unconfirmed story. Not very smart for a professional news organization.
LOL, we ARE talking about the media aren't we??

Old 08-11-2009, 12:42 PM   #52
samiam
Chromer

Salem News is also running this story. Their reporting on this story is in typical biased fashion right outa the gate. They don't like dissenting views.

Last edited by samiam; 08-11-2009 at 01:02 PM. Reason: removed most of the neg stuff i said about that "news" site
samiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 01:00 PM   #53
OB1
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEC View Post

Their sources must be CNN because they only tell the truth in their reporting. NOT!!
OB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 01:33 PM   #54
Reel Obsession
King Salmon

I always thought good jounalism inculded checking sources BEFORE running a story. Funny how once a source is found not to be viable after the fact, the same headline news time slot is not used to announce to the world "We were wrong and rushed to press before getting our facts straight."

Old 08-11-2009, 01:53 PM   #55
Etonfish
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid Asset View Post
Your frustration is a bit mis-directed friend.

If you re-read that, it's Hatfield marine that stated that, not the reporter. I understand that they are simply repeating what they were told by someone at the marine science center, but it should have been clear to the reporter how the shark died if they bothered to ask anyone at the scene. Heck, just look as the posted pictures on here. I'm just saying that the article as a whole was unfair to the fisherman, and contained less than complete or accurate facts.

In addition, KATU clearly states that they are checking the facts on if he was cited or not....that's good journalism. I see that now. It was not a part of the story when I initially posted. They probably added that as a result of ifish.

LA
As you can see from the comments posted on other websites, there are a large number of people who don't fully understand how this shark was caught or the circumstances under which it was brought to shore. The media perpetuates this by the way it reports stories like this.

Last edited by Etonfish; 08-12-2009 at 08:04 AM.
Old 08-11-2009, 01:57 PM   #56
Simon Peter
Chromer

Showed my kids the video and pics and they loved it! Thanks for taking a beating for the benefit of a few of us who really enjoyed seeing some first hand good video of an unfortunate killing.

My kids were AMAZED that it was able to swallow that small porpoise. Then true to form, my 3 year old boy went and sat down at the table for lunch and started doing his own Great White imitation swallowing up some large grapes! Next, we hear some choking gurgling sound and I thought I was going to have to do some CPR!!! Finally got everything clear - people chew your food!!! I told them that they had molars in the back of their mouths for a reason.

Thanks for whoever shot the video and the pictures. At our home - it was greatly enjoyed for what it was.
Old 08-11-2009, 02:07 PM   #57
wannacatchem
Ifish Nate

Man... you ought to get those pictures to the Oregonian, all three majeor channels here in town. Lots of comments on the video and elswhere about "doubts".

These pics would set the story straight.....
Old 08-11-2009, 02:19 PM   #58
OceanBlue
King Salmon

It's too bad the story was so badly twisted. As for "journalism" - I read the same "breaking story" on several different sources yesterday - they all had the exact same content. By last night, the story had changed a bit, even between the 6 and 11pm news. The KATU article was updated at 11:23pm - now with Harbormaster comments - which didn't help the situation at all, unfortunately. (not his fault, he didn't know what had taken place before the fish was hauled into port)
Old 08-11-2009, 02:54 PM   #59
Smoked Salmon
King Salmon

That captures it right there.
"He commented" and "he didn't know what had taken place"

Smoked Salmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 02:59 PM   #60
Chromaflage
King Salmon

That's assuming that he wants this publicity. If I was in his shoes, I'd be wishing that I'd have snapped the pics of it being hauled up with the trap, then let it drift into the food chain.

Quote:
Man... you ought to get those pictures to the Oregonian, all three majeor channels here in town. Lots of comments on the video and elswhere about "doubts".

These pics would set the story straight.....