Turning a 1 piece rod into a 2 piece... - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Rod and tackle building

Old 07-16-2009, 08:22 AM   #1
Luni
Steelhead

Default Turning a 1 piece rod into a 2 piece...

I have a G-Loomis 6 foot GL2 rod. I think its a SR450. Anyway, its a great rod, I have a Shimano Sedona reel for it, its a great combo, the thing is it doesnt fit in my trunk so I hardly ever get a chance to use it.

The rod was free. My dad won it in a raffle of some sorts (he lived in Woodland WA where theyre made), and gave it to me some years ago. I just recently remembered I had it, bought the reel for it and have been using it and I absolutely love the thing.

My question is, how hard would it be for a good rod builder to cut it and make it into a 2 piece without messing up the action on it?

Is it even feasible?

Luni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 08:34 AM   #2
ling killer
Tuna!

Default Re: Turning a 1 piece rod into a 2 piece...

not sure, im beting that a GOOD rod builder could probally make ya happy but i would seriously look into like osme roof mounted pole holders. they have magnetic ones that stick to your roof and work well!

other than that good luck, mabey shimano would make a trade in they will on broken stuff.... y not something your not happy with?
ling killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 08:38 AM   #3
Luni
Steelhead

My car has T-Tops, roof mounts arent an option.

I can put the rod in my car and it can ride shotgun with me, but if I want to take a buddy fishing, its a PITA to get around.

Not to mention, sometimes I go fishing after work, and I like using that rod, but Im not just gonna leave it laying around my car in the passenger seat for anyone to see and take.

I never thought about a trade in.... I know they make 2 piece rods like mine, theyre just more expensive.
Old 07-16-2009, 08:44 AM   #4
ling killer
Tuna!

id pm coot22 i think is his moniker, check my forum, help... broken cennan rod, cody herman from shimano will anwser your ?'s

i would think with as good of warranty shimano has and takes all broken rods in, im sure they would take a working unharmed rod in for a trade in on a 2 piece,

think of the time to send it in and get a new one verses the time to find someone to break your rod and make the one piece bigger so that it will slide into each other, like i said i have no clue just in my opinion i'd talk to shimano about a quick easy trade in, your not happy and shimano cares about making customers happy
Old 07-16-2009, 10:22 AM   #5
Luni
Steelhead

Ill look into it. I was more or less asking about hypothetical feasibility of cutting it and turning it into a 2 piece.

I dont have many places around me that sells the rod I want, Id either take it to a local rod builder (I live in Utah), and have him perform surgery, or Id mail it to Shimano. To be honest, Id rather have surgery performed if its feasible, so I dont have to ship to and from Washington.
Old 07-16-2009, 10:26 AM   #6
ling killer
Tuna!

k its your rod, just think... if and when the surgery starts..... the warranty goeas out the window make sure u wanna sign that waiver
Old 07-16-2009, 10:34 AM   #7
Luni
Steelhead

Thats true. I guess. Warranty gets voided.

Damn.

Well, I went to Shimanos site, and I cant find anything related to what I want. I went to G.Loomis site and same thing. I sent an email to Cody, so Ill see what Im told.
Old 07-16-2009, 10:36 AM   #8
ling killer
Tuna!

good luck i talked to a few guys and couldnt get through on the shimanno websit phone numbers, so i talked to cody and he is a heck of a nice guy

goodluck on whatever u decide
Old 07-16-2009, 10:46 AM   #9
Luni
Steelhead

I didnt think of warranty when I thought of cutting it and turning it into a 2 piece. I probably wont be going that route.

I honestly cant see shimano giving me what I want when the error wasnt on them. And G.Loomis still handles their own warranties so I dont even think Shimano has anything to do with this, but Ill see what Cody says.
Old 07-16-2009, 03:48 PM   #10
E. Harry
Steelhead

Luni,
It is feasible to put a ferrule in a one piece rod turning it into a two piece rod. However, in most cases it is a mistake. The ferrule will result in a stiffening of the rod in the area of the ferrule. This stiffening results in something called stress concentration. The stresses will be higher and therefore the likelyhood of the rod breaking will increase. The ferrules in two piece factory blanks or rod are engineered with this in mind and result in only a small stiffening.
I think that the advice that you received above, to not put a ferrule in the rod, is sound advice.
E. Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 03:52 PM   #11
Raymond Adams
Steelhead

Shimano owns Loomis. Has for quite some time now.

Look around, find a 2pc model, get it and sell your 1pc.
Raymond Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 09:51 PM   #12
DinhRose
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond Adams View Post
Shimano owns Loomis. Has for quite some time now.

Look around, find a 2pc model, get it and sell your 1pc.
I second this opinion. I've been making my own rods for a while now and it's not possible to turn a one piece into a 2 piece rod without heavy modifications. you'll have to keep in mind that the pieces have to fit over each other in one way or another. once you do this the rods is never the same. I tried it with a surf rod a few years back and it broke completely on the first time out.
Old 07-17-2009, 07:39 AM   #13
Luni
Steelhead

Thats what Ive found out, not to do it.

And it looks like ill just have to have 2. Ill get myself a good 2 piece ultralight. I wont have to have a G.Loomis, I think I might check out something Shimano makes, cause they seem to have excellent service and one of the best warranties in the biz.
Old 07-17-2009, 02:05 PM   #14
luv_2_fish
Chromer

Why not buy another 2-piece 6' spinning rod? There are so many choices out there and fairly inexpensive. I am quite certain that there are "similar" in action and design rods that matched to the loomis gl2 6' rod by different rod manufacturer, such as lamiglas, shimano, rainshawdow, cabelas, okuma, etc...

Leave you current loomis intact, because I think you do have many other more feasible options to fit your desire.
luv_2_fish is offline   Reply With Quote