Edible Blue sharks - www.ifish.net
Leave no Dog Behind

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > The Salty Dogs

Old 07-15-2009, 09:22 PM   #1
sukor lihp
Steelhead

Default Edible Blue sharks

While fishing Chinook with Cp. Jim,out of Winchester bay,we kept getting bit off by sharks!We brought a few to the boat,and I asked him if they were good too eat? He said if you bleed them,put them on ice,and eat then tonight,they are marginaly edible.He realy didn't like the idea of one in his boat! I now carry a few wire riggs just for them,but I realy don't know what to do with them if I catch one.ANY help?

sukor lihp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2009, 09:33 PM   #2
Tinman
King Salmon

Default Re: Edible Blue sharks

Blue sharks are pretty worthless as sport fish. First of all, they don't fight very well. Much of the fight consists of rolling up in the leader. Second, they are a pain to kill and unhook. Unlike most fish, sharks are very flexible, and can twist every which way on deck while thrashing about and flashing their sharp, but unimpressive teeth.

Second, they really don't taste very good.

Threshers, Makos and Salmon Sharks are another matter entirely. These species fight well, and taste great if properly cared for.
Ifish Member #223
22 foot Learned dory "Evenstar"
14 foot rowing wherry "Evensong"

Last edited by Tinman; 07-15-2009 at 09:43 PM.
Tinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 09:35 PM   #3
Twitch
Sturgeon

marinade a piece of carp in cat pee... then cook it. Wha-la, bleu shark!

They have a realllly high urea content in their meat. Not yummy...
Old 07-15-2009, 09:40 PM   #4
ling killer
Tuna!

+1 on not to try blue shark, try a sandshark or salmon shark and soak the meat in milk (i think) and it pulls the urine, urea out i dunno if its required in all sharks but im guessing all sharks are the same they urinate through their skin
ling killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 09:56 PM   #5
Tuna Chaser
Chromer

There are many edible sharks available off the Oregon Coast, (Salmon Shark, Thrusher, Lepard, Mako, Sevengills, etc.) but the Blue Shark isnít one of them. Most Blue Sharks have a very strong Iodine taste, very much like the occasional Humboldt Squid one gets on occasion, but with the Blue Sharks, itís in 99% of them. Best to just enjoy the fight and release them (not Kill them) unharmed. Although they may be a real pain in the rear at times, they serve their purpose.
Tuna Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 10:03 PM   #6
Elkiller
Steelhead

I will go on record as having eaten blue shark and liking it. First, choose a small shark. Second, make sure you kill it quick. Gut and drop into ice slurry asap. I ate it over the next two days in fish tacos and thought it tasted good. Maybe I just got lucky or have broken taste buds. Try it, you may find that you like it too.
Elkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 10:55 PM   #7
MattPark
Sturgeon

I've heard if you skin it right away it makes them edible...even good to eat. Any truth to that?
Old 07-15-2009, 11:33 PM   #8
Tuna Chaser
Chromer

Blue Sharks used to be a favorite fish to catch when I was a kid fishing of the pier at Pismo Beach in the 60's. Back then it was just a kid thing to catch and land a big shark in the 6 to 8 foot category off a pier that was 30 feet above the water. I have tried just about everything and everyway to get the iodine taste out from bleeding, skinning right away, icing them down right away, soaking them in milk, butter milk, saltwater, beer, you name it. There were a very few times when the meat did come out tasting very good, but I can probably count every time that happened on one hand out of the dozens of times I tried. Because of that, I figured it was best to enjoy the fight and release the fish back into the ocean to fight again another day. The best way I found to prepare Blue Shark was to dress the meat as quickly as possible and get it on ice. Secure the meat to a Cedar Board with Butchers twine and place it in a large glass baking dish fish side down. Cover it with butter milk and place it in the fridge for 24 hours. Take it out, pour off the butter milk and feed it to your cat. Remove the shark meat from the board, throw it away and eat the board. Works every time.
Old 07-16-2009, 12:00 AM   #9
wthr4d
Sturgeon

If you catch a small one and can quickly land it, then quickly kill, bleed and ice it (don't forget to gut and gill it immediately!) you will come out with something that can, after being soaked in buttermilk for a day, compare to low grade catfish. try it battered and deep fried. Or better yet let it go and catch more tuna cause they are much better battered and deep fried!!

TEAM OPB and looking for chances at salmon, Halibut and Tuna!!
wthr4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 09:13 AM   #10
SummitOne
Chromer

Remove the shark meat from the board, throw it away and eat the board. Works every time. [/QUOTE]

That's funny right there!!
SummitOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 09:33 AM   #11
edsr

[QUOTE] -- Twitchs_Tackle - marinade a piece of carp in cat pee... then cook it. Wha-la, bleu shark!

Old 07-16-2009, 09:46 AM   #12
ling killer
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twitchs_Tackle View Post

+1
Old 07-16-2009, 10:31 AM   #13
Stingray2
Steelhead

I will go on record as disagreeing with most here....I actually like blue shark and found if you care for the meat properly it can be very good. You have to bleed it after catching it and keep it cool. I have found icing it not necessary but keep sea temp water on it to keep it cool. If you Google search the subject, you will find the chemical and smell is not urine, and is actually in the skin, not the meat.

The trick I found, is when you skin it you have to not set the meat down on the same surface as the skin. So cut the fillet off the bone/cartilage and lay it back so the skin is on the counter, meat facing up. Fillet the meat off the skin, rinse the fillet and put the meat into a plastic bag right away. Dont set it down where the fish was laying. You will notice as you fillet it that some of the skin pigment (dark blue or black) will come off onto the counter you are using. Again, don't let meat come in contact with this.

The shark meat can then be fried or baked like any fish. Unlike other shark, blue shark meat is softer, more like soft sole meat than a firm halibut or other shark meat. But if prepared right it can be quite good to eat. When commercially caught, it is actually used as meat in generic fishsticks. Try it...you may just like it !!!!

Last edited by Stingray2; 07-16-2009 at 10:33 AM.
Stingray2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 10:34 AM   #14
DoryDrifter
Steelhead

Not Tasty= Blue Sharks
Tasty = Makos, Threshers, Salmon, Leopard
DoryDrifter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 10:39 AM   #15
Tulelicious
Chromer

I was on a Tuna Charter and a blue was caught, The deckhand gutted the thing live. He said this keeps the shark from peeing when it dies which normally taints the meat. I Don't know how it tasted but he recommended soaking in Milk as well.
Old 07-16-2009, 10:44 AM   #16
Freakwater
Sturgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulelicious View Post
The deckhand gutted the thing live.
That sounds safe!

Freakwater
Freakwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 10:52 AM   #17
ling killer
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingray2 View Post
I will go on record as disagreeing with most here....I actually like blue shark

blue shark and MANY other things (some creatures considered a delicasy) come out of the sea that some people eat, few enjoy and and i would rather pass
Old 07-16-2009, 10:54 AM   #18
Tuna Chaser
Chromer

Like I said earlier, I have tried it many times and for the time it takes to properly handle one, it's just now worth the effort. For my money, there better off swimming in the ocean helping keep it clean. The first time you get a mouth full of a bad one, you'll never let one your boat again. A bad one rates right up there with my old uncle Jack's recipe, who was from Arkansas, for smoked canned Carp. One taste of that, and I promise you, you will never touch another fish again as long as you live and youíll be a vegetarian for life. That stuff was the nastiest crap you ever put in your mouth, but he swore it was the best. It broke me from ever going to anymore family reunions again and made me thankful I live in California.
Old 07-16-2009, 07:12 PM   #19
sukor lihp
Steelhead

Thanks everyone,aren't you glad I didn't ask about sunfish
sukor lihp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 07:48 PM   #20
Thank God I Fish
Cutthroat

Location: I hope to move to Rockaway Beach soon. I have a house there now, but its just a weekend thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twitchs_Tackle View Post

Lmao Twitch
Thank God I Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 08:46 PM   #21
Onokai
Ifish Nate

Blues-they are better left swimming as they are not worth eating-sharks are a good thing- part of ocean system-There are way better sharks to eat then blues
Try a mako or salmon shark both very tasty-get the right gear and be careful at they can tear up a boat
Mark

TUNA is a STATE of MIND
Onokai is offline   Reply With Quote