catfish around portland? - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Bass and Panfish!

Old 07-14-2009, 08:21 AM   #1
boomguy
Steelhead

Default catfish around portland?

where would be a good place around portland to go catfishing? the only time ive caught catfish was at shasta last year and it was a blast.

boomguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2009, 09:48 AM   #2
viettony
Steelhead

Default Re: catfish around portland?

The only spots for catfishing is kelly point park or sauvie island.Its always a hit and miss in the willy.But you will only catch the bull head catfish.they get about 12 to 15 inches long only.But at kelly point park, right after you pass threw the gate, theres a little turn off on your left.You can catch like forty or fifty of those fish easily.But like i said, they don't put up that big of a fight.Sauvie island, you will get a channel catfish once in a great while.Good luck buddy.
viettony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 11:11 AM   #3
codeman
Tuna!

used to fish off of sauvie island all the time when i was in high school. We would catch tons of channels when the current was moving. once the tide hit slack (either low or high) all we would catch were the bull heads. Once the current started moving again, channels everywhere. Not sure if things have changed. I've talked to alot of people who fish out there and most say that it is all bull heads??? Not sure why that would be. Its been about 15 years since i fished there for them. We used to fish at night off of the log rafts using chicken livers. Once in awhile we would fish off of the the boat dock at the mouth of the gilbert river. Always at night, and usually late in summer, i can remember the nights alwyas being really warm. knowing what i know now about fishing, i would go there and use larger peices of cutbait, crappie or perch, and at least a 2/0 hook. That usually keeps the bullheads off for me. you might even get into a sturgeon or two. If you give it a shot, make a post or give me a pm and let me know how it is these days. I have two boys now and would love to know a good spot close.

cody
codeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 02:01 PM   #4
boomguy
Steelhead

what about the tualatin?
boomguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 02:04 PM   #5
mkwerx
Ifish Nate

Kelly point park and Sauvie aren't the only places. There are channels and bullheads throughout the Willamette. There's also cats throughout the Tualatin and Columbia. Cats in Hagg Lake, and in many of the smaller ponds around the area. Not the biggest fish necessarily, but there are cats all over those rivers. You might also wind up 'lucking' in to the incidental sturgeon, carp, or sqawfish too. Maybe some other species depending on your bait and where you're fishing.
mkwerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 03:24 PM   #6
Oregon4x4
Steelhead

Another vote for the deep holes in the tualitin here. Also at the mouth of the Tualitin in west linn as "Willamette park" I've caught alot of them.
Recently I caught one in the clackamas drifting a worm for steelhead.
Oregon4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 05:09 PM   #7
Hondo
Ifish Nate

Check out this link to the warmwater fishing guide at the ODFW site:

http://www.dfw.state.or.us/warm_water_fishing/index.asp

Click on the North Willamette section for some good catfishing info.
"There is a secret bond between slowness and memory, between speed and forgetting...the degree of slowness is directly proportional to the intensity of memory; the degree of speed is directly proportional to the intensity of forgetting." --Milan Kundera
Hondo is offline   Reply With Quote