$$$20000.00 - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Community

Old 06-20-2009, 07:35 PM   #1
Wilson
Chromer

Default $$$20000.00

O.K. you got 20k budget for a boat. In this economy what would you expect to get?
How long?
How much motor?
What options?
Age?
Model?
Make?
Give me your "dream boat" for the money!

Sorry got carried away with the smilies

Wilson

Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 08:02 PM   #2
Bill Monroe Jr.
Tuna!

Thumbs up Re: $$$20000.00

How about a New 2009 custom ordered 18-19 foot OPEN Willie Predator, with a 150-200Hp Opti, and kicker to match... Somethin like that is well within that kind of budget!

Or you can find a Good Newer used North River, or probably a nice Alumaweld too...

Willie has some KILLER deals right now tho, and if you could'nt tell, is my favorite.... That is, if you are thinkin you want aluminum tho... I'm sure there is some decent Fiberglass deals out there as well...

Good luck with whatever you find!

Bill Jr.

You should always try and Save lives, in order to be able to live life yourself.
Bill Monroe Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 09:14 PM   #3
PapaHog
King Salmon

Default Re: $$$20000.00

It really depends on what you want to do with it. River and bay fishing would take one kind of dream boat and tuna would take another. Are we talking sled or windshield boat?

Happiness is having someone to love, someone to love you and someone to hold hands with the final years of this journey.
PapaHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 09:35 PM   #4
dogwood
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Monroe Jr. View Post
How about a New 2009 custom ordered 18-19 foot OPEN Willie Predator, with a 150-200Hp Opti, and kicker to match... Somethin like that is well within that kind of budget!
Bill Jr. I know you are just trying to be helpful, but last I checked with Willie Boats a boat like that is over $30k. a 150 opti is around $10,000 to 12,000 alone. I got a quote from them for a 20 foot predator with a 150 opti and an 8 kicker for 38grrrr

I agree with your advice on used though. For 20g you should be able to find a newer boat with low hours and alot of goodies on it and Willie does make a very nice boat. Craig
dogwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 11:54 PM   #5
k9jeff
Ifish Nate

A nice drift boat with a good used kicker.

Put the rest of the money in the bank and invest some of it or pay off bills if applicable.
Old 06-21-2009, 12:37 AM   #6
foxer
Sturgeon

Quote:

Bill Jr.
Wow...I want a couple of whatever you've been drinking....
foxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 01:19 AM   #7
Smitty
Steelhead

Wilson,
A lot of great boats for this price. I would defiantly consider a used one. Experience taught me, you can save serious money on all the stuff you buy after the boat (life jackets, down riggers, rod holders & fish finders, etc.)

I agree with different boats for different fisheries and water, such as prop versus pump, inboard or outboard, open or windshield.

You are more then welcome to come up and see what you think of my 19' Weldcraft Renegade Outback with Honda outboards or my buddies 20' Thunder jet pump boat with a inboard 350.

I've learned some as to what I would get next so lets talk.

Smitty
Smitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 05:41 AM   #8
Liquid Asset
Chromer

Jr,

I've been shopping for 3 weeks now and am in no hurry. Where do I place my order for what you just described?

LA

Quote:

Or you can find a Goopd Newer used North River, or probably a nice Alumaweld too...

Willie has some KILLER deals right now tho, and if you could'nt tell, is my favorite.... That is, if you are thinkin you want aluminum tho... I'm sure there is some decent Fiberglass deals out there as well...

Good luck with whatever you find!

Bill Jr.
Old 06-21-2009, 06:29 AM   #9
IDWITHELD
Sturgeon

I would spend some time in the classifieds. Lots of great boats in there...like tacklebuster's.
Old 06-21-2009, 07:34 AM   #10
Bill Monroe Jr.
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogwood View Post
Bill Jr. I know you are just trying to be helpful, but last I checked with Willie Boats a boat like that is over $30k. a 150 opti is around $10,000 to 12,000 alone. I got a quote from them for a 20 foot predator with a 150 opti and an 8 kicker for 38grrrr

I agree with your advice on used though. For 20g you should be able to find a newer boat with low hours and alot of goodies on it and Willie does make a very nice boat. Craig

Well, Hmmm......... Lets see here:
.................................................. .................................................. .

Open Predator

20 X 66" $13,495

20 X 72" $13,995

21 X 72" $14,495

22.5 X 72" $14,995

24 X 72" $15,995

M O D E L S
Custom Lengths Available
Call for more information 1-800-866-7775

Standard Equipment
6" Cowling with Gunnel Guard Built-In Bow Fish Box .190 Bottom 27" or 30" x .125 Sides

Bow Anchor Release Marine Vinyl Flooring Interior Zolatone Coating Side Storage Trays

Deluxe Running Lights Bilge Pump Transducer Brackets Weld On Zinc Tab

Gradual water entry available in 5
or 10 hull design
.................................................. .................................................. .

So- I'm willing to bet that an 18 foot is a bit cheaper than the 20' price's listed above, and I certainly didn't say a NEW OPti motor now did I? I bet one could be well within $20k (OR SO) for an 18' Predator... Just a thought... but the deals are out there right now... Especially with the economy and the way thing s are goin right now- the deals are out there! I guess all it takes is a phone call, now doesn't it??

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxer View Post
Wow...I want a couple of whatever you've been drinking....
And, the drinks are free all day today! ( just kiddin... ). Joking aside, Like I said, the deals are out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid Asset View Post
Jr,

I've been shopping for 3 weeks now and am in no hurry. Where do I place my order for what you just described?

LA

PM Sent....

You should always try and Save lives, in order to be able to live life yourself.
Old 06-21-2009, 09:21 AM   #11
dogwood
Chromer

Quote:
Well, Hmmm......... Lets see here:

Open Predator

20 X 66" $13,495

20 X 72" $13,995

21 X 72" $14,495

22.5 X 72" $14,995

24 X 72" $15,995

M O D E L S
Custom Lengths Available
Call for more information 1-800-866-7775

Standard Equipment
6" Cowling with Gunnel Guard Built-In Bow Fish Box .190 Bottom 27" or 30" x .125 Sides

Bow Anchor Release Marine Vinyl Flooring Interior Zolatone Coating Side Storage Trays

Deluxe Running Lights Bilge Pump Transducer Brackets Weld On Zinc Tab

[LEFT]Gradual water entry available in 5 or 10 hull design

So- I'm willing to bet that an 18 foot is a bit cheaper than the 20' price's listed above, and I certainly didn't say a NEW OPti motor now did I? I bet one could be well within $20k (OR SO) for an 18' Predator... Just a thought... but the deals are out there right now... Especially with the economy and the way thing s are goin right now- the deals are out there! I guess all it takes is a phone call, now doesn't it??
]
Sorry Bill Jr. - wasn't trying to get under your skin - just passing on what I have learned so far and contributing to the discussion. You are correct. You can get a basic hull and a couple of used motors for around 20 or less. Willies are awesome boats and I hope to own one some day. I was just looking at all of the add ons with clear kote interior, seat boxes, seats, washdown system, rod lockers, tunnel etc. Yes, there are excellent deals on boats right now and per my phone call with them a couple of days ago, they are running a power boat special at dealer pricing. Which Willie do you own? Happy Father's Day -
Craig Worden
Old 06-21-2009, 09:56 AM   #12
5-Cents
King Salmon

If you havent owned a boat do yourself a favor and get a used one that you can beat up! In my experience I dont know anyone that has ever really gotten the boat they wanted on the first pass. Once you have a boat you get an idea of what you "really want" and then the second boat will really hit the mark... buying used you wont be worried about scratches that you WILL get no matter what!

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing. ~Babylonian Proverb

http://twitter.com/5CentZ
5-Cents is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 10:14 AM   #13
Bill Monroe Jr.
Tuna!

Quote:
Sorry Bill Jr. - wasn't trying to get under your skin - just passing on what I have learned so far and contributing to the discussion. You are correct. You can get a basic hull and a couple of used motors for around 20 or less. Willies are awesome boats and I hope to own one some day. I was just looking at all of the add ons with clear kote interior, seat boxes, seats, washdown system, rod lockers, tunnel etc. Yes, there are excellent deals on boats right now and per my phone call with them a couple of days ago, they are running a power boat special at dealer pricing. Which Willie do you own? Happy Father's Day -
Craig Worden
Hey Craig- No worries... Sorry for bein a bit abrupt with my last post... I completely hear ya too on the "goodies" part... Thats where the splurging comes into play... I own a '08 Predator- LOVE it to death too. I'm a big Willie advocate... ( if you couldn't tell....) . And Happy Fathers day to you as well Craig... Not quite a Father yet, but the wife and I are contemplating! I hope I can only be HALF the father that my Dad is... Big shoes, if you know what I mean. Love him to death as well.... Anyways, take care.

Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-Cents View Post
If you havent owned a boat do yourself a favor and get a used one that you can beat up! In my experience I dont know anyone that has ever really gotten the boat they wanted on the first pass. Once you have a boat you get an idea of what you "really want" and then the second boat will really hit the mark... buying used you wont be worried about scratches that you WILL get no matter what!

The Man's got a VALID point here.... The choices are endless out there!! So much to choose from, yet soo little time!

Old 06-21-2009, 10:24 AM   #14
KRTGrumpy
Tuna!

Quote:
I agree w/ 5-cents. I learned (or am in the process of learning) the hard way on this.
KRTGrumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 10:36 AM   #15
rags
Ifish Nate

Whatever you get bring it down to Tillamook Bay and we'll catch some fish together.
rags is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 10:40 AM   #16
dogwood
Chromer

Bill Jr. Sent you a PM CW
Old 06-21-2009, 11:03 AM   #17
foxer
Sturgeon

Quote:
Craig Worden
Dont forget 3k for the trailer...and $900 for a fuel tank. Oh yeah, seats seat boxes etc. You might be able to build a basic predator w/trailer for 18k. No discount for an 18ft'r as they told me the flotation boxes cost as much $$ as the extra aluminum in a 20ft. Yes, Willie makes a great boat but they are not cheap.
foxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 11:28 AM   #18
abufreak
Chromer

i'd get a 14' fish-rite and a 50hp yamaha jet. probably have some left over too!
abufreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 12:40 PM   #19
Bill Monroe Jr.
Tuna!

Quote:
Bill Jr. Sent you a PM CW

Hit ya back there DW....

Old 06-21-2009, 02:59 PM   #20
Ironhed
Steelhead

I looked for a used boat for six months. I ended up buying a brand new 18' Willy Legend at the Portland Sportsman Show in February. Came with Merc 90/65 jet, Tricker trailer, seats, and a few nice options. Also had a real cool camo paint job. They were anxious to sell it, as Portland was the last show for the season. Paid 18,500. We also looked at an Alumaweld Free Drifter. The show price on the 19' was almost 25G. Anyway, I am VERY happy with the Willy Boat. If you are patient, you will find a great deal.
Ironhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 06:07 PM   #21
Danderson
Ifish Nate

I know were you can get a 1999 18.5ft North River Scout with a 115/80hp yamaha jet and a 8hp Mariner Kicker with an EZ load trailer for 15K.
Old 06-21-2009, 07:21 PM   #22
Connelly
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxer View Post
Dont forget 3k for the trailer...and $900 for a fuel tank. Oh yeah, seats seat boxes etc. You might be able to build a basic predator w/trailer for 18k. No discount for an 18ft'r as they told me the flotation boxes cost as much $$ as the extra aluminum in a 20ft. Yes, Willie makes a great boat but they are not cheap.
Don't forget rigging...$1,000.00?

I have had the good forture of selling and being involved with Northriver, Alumaweld, Willlie Boats, Jetcraft Mercury, Yamaha, Honda, Johnson and Evenrude and many outstanding guides and fishermen for many years. I visited all of the factories and viewed all of the manufacturing techniques. Seen all of them (And many others) broken, dented and wrecked and the repair bills. My , no boat or engine maufacture puts out a better complete product line than the rest. If I was looking for a Inboard/forward helm-NR, Open, 6' and 66" bottom-1) Alumaweld Super Vee Pro (None of the rest of their line), 2) Willie Predator, Drift boats-Willie...by far. If I had to deal with a dealer...Willie Boats. (God bless Willie!)

Used, open fishing boat for the rivers and bays, I would look at the 153CI Mercury in 150, 175 or 200 two stroke (All the same motor). Or Yamaha in 150 or 200 two stroke. The 8ml and 15ml. Used 2 strokes are cheep (er) to buy, own and run.

Personally my , I would not purchase a new boat for my first boat, and maybe never. (15% Manufacture and then 15% Dealer mark up and thats just the hulls and aluminum parts. Accessories and rigging as much as 30% to 50%) It's harder to get out of a new boat when you figure out what you really want 2 years down the road because of depreciation. I would look for a used boat, with no paint, that does mostly what I want. Have a condition report done. (look for rod drop, cracked gerders under the floor etc.) Sometimes you cannot hear problems in a loud boat motor like you can a car. Remember, no hull warranty. Orginal owner only. If the boat is cracked out under the floor it will be expensive to repair. When I was ready to sell it, I'd paint it!

Maybe consider a 19'x66" Super Vee Pro, single Axle trailer (Alumaweld not Rogue if you can find it), Tiller handle, Merc or Yamaha package. The same in a Willie (19x66") with a Yamaha or Merc. Both great boats. Great re-sale market.

Take your time, shop and be willing to travel to get what you want.

$20,000.00 can get you a basic new boat with mid-range horsepower or an outstanding used boat!
Connelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 07:57 PM   #23
NWaddict
Chromer

I think there a lot of deals out there right now... nothing spectacular, but fair--considering what boats were going for just 2 years ago.

I recently bought a 20-year old 20'x6' koffler open semi-vee with trailer and 40hp prop for $5k. It far, far from perfect, but with motor swaps and a few DIY projects (i.e., new floor) I'll be into it for less than $12 or $13K with a new main motor. My uncle also bought a less than 10-year old, 21'x6' closed bow,north river recently with a 350 inboard and NR trailer for about 10K recently as well. It's not exactly my cup of tea, but it's a really nice boat for the money... produced before ownership changed over. Most would probably have a tough time finding that kind of deal, but I look at craigslist everyday (still holding out for a used 115 tiller jet before I buy new) and, for the most part, people are having a tough time selling their boat and asking WAY too much given the economy.

Anyone trying to get yesterday's prices for a boat today is trying to steal your money. The reality is that there a lot more boats out there than there is people that can afford to hold on to them.

Dom
NWaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 08:10 PM   #24
Connelly
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWaddict View Post
I think there a lot of deals out there right now... nothing spectacular, but fair--considering what boats were going for just 2 years ago.

I recently bought a 20-year old 20'x6' koffler open semi-vee with trailer and 40hp prop for $5k. It far, far from perfect, but with motor swaps and a few DIY projects (i.e., new floor) I'll be into it for less than $12 or $13K with a new main motor. My uncle also bought a less than 10-year old, 21'x6' closed bow,north river recently with a 350 inboard and NR trailer for about 10K recently as well. It's not exactly my cup of tea, but it's a really nice boat for the money... produced before ownership changed over. Most would probably have a tough time finding that kind of deal, but I look at craigslist everyday (still holding out for a used 115 tiller jet before I buy new) and, for the most part, people are having a tough time selling their boat and asking WAY too much given the economy.

Anyone trying to get yesterday's prices for a boat today is trying to steal your money. The reality is that there a lot more boats out there than there is people that can afford to hold on to them.

Dom
Consider a V4. 115. The Mercury is a 2 + 4. Runs on 2 cylinders at Idle then jumps when the other cylinders kick in with RPM. Very rough at idle. In-line 4 cylinder. V's run smother.
Connelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 09:06 PM   #25
Finscent
Steelhead

Ask your wife to borrow 15k.
Finscent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 09:45 PM   #26
riverhound
Chromer

Use your 20K as a down payment, and get the boat you want instead of the one within your budget. Finance 10 to 20K and you should get a sweet ride. A 10 to 20K loan will only be between 100.00 and 200.00 a month.
riverhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 08:00 AM   #27
Silver Hilton
King Salmon

I've got a 2001 19 ft North River Sportster, 175 hp Inboard jet, 9.9 kicker, fully, and I mean fully outfitted, with downriggers, twin DepthFinders, rod holders, cooler, anchor, buoy and rope. I'd take $20k, and throw in a set of salmon rods. Main motor has about 150 hours on it. Trailer has had the axle upgraded to a 5200 lb axle and new tires and wheels.
Old 06-22-2009, 08:49 AM   #28
Jet-Man
Steelhead

you could get a used 1999 Hewescraft

http://kpr.craigslist.org/boa/1229802468.html
Old 06-22-2009, 09:41 AM   #29
Tiny
Chromer

Quote:
What 5 cents says here is dead on so one more vote for used. By used, make yourself a great deal that you can get your money back out of after you use is for a while. Have the engine and hull inspected.
Tiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 10:09 AM   #30
Zarn
Tuna!

Wilson, IMHO...Take your $20K... put it in a high yield fund. Check with that Big fishing store in Lacey, WA for a Hewes Sportman 20' on sale for $33K, payments of $327.99 per month. Comes w/ a Yama 150, 48 gal tank, controls, wipers, top w/ full side & rear curtains, trailer. Add a kicker, anchor, your personal, safety gear, etc. With very little work you will be ready for the CR and O/S TUNA w/ a NEW ride and good warranties.

There is something about never putting cash down on a depreciating asset that comes to my mind.

Last edited by Zarn; 06-22-2009 at 10:13 AM.
Zarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 11:02 AM   #31
willie18
Steelhead

First boat? Used is the way to go. Determine your personal needs first, how many people will you carry, open, windsheild, wife and kids, where will you use it? I have purchased 6 used boats over the last 30 years and never been hurt (financially) on any of them. Three I owned for a short time, two years, and sold them for what I paid. You should be able to get a 18 to 20 foot boat, open or windsheild, aluminum, with all the necessary adders, kicker, electronics, PSE, for that price.

If your using in the Columbia and larger tribs. I would go 20 ft. forward helm, two stroke outboard, four stroke kicker, top and all curtains.

Just my opinion.

PS: I have owned a Willie with Yamaha's for the last 14 years and never had a problem. It was used.
willie18 is offline   Reply With Quote