Replacing drive shaft bellows on 4.3 mercruiser - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Boat and Motor Tech

Old 06-10-2009, 04:33 PM   #1
Harrball61
Fry

Default Replacing drive shaft bellows on 4.3 mercruiser

I recently took my boat out of the water and when I got home and was inspecting the stern drive, I noticed the bellows had torn away from where it was clamped. I would like to know if this is something that would be easy to fix or would it be wiser to just have the Marina do the work. And how much will the work cost? It's a 6 cylinder motor - 1991.
Thanks
H

Last edited by Harrball61; 06-10-2009 at 04:34 PM.
Harrball61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2009, 09:33 PM   #2
cloudbusterb
Coho

Cool Re: Replacing drive shaft bellows on 4.3 mercruiser

i just did a merc alpha1 its not fun if you have water in the boot your gimbel baring might be toast replace the u jont get a rebuild kit you are looking at 1250.00 to have it done and you can do it for around 400.00 it is a tough job putting the water hose on .the upper boot is very hard to do with out a tool they make to grab the rubber to pull it back make shure you use the glue in the kit .work a weekend of overtime and let the shop do it
cloudbusterb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 11:44 AM   #3
Fish Slapper
Ifish Nate

Default Re: Replacing drive shaft bellows on 4.3 mercruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrball61 View Post
I recently took my boat out of the water and when I got home and was inspecting the stern drive, I noticed the bellows had torn away from where it was clamped. I would like to know if this is something that would be easy to fix or would it be wiser to just have the Marina do the work. And how much will the work cost? It's a 6 cylinder motor - 1991.
Thanks
H
where do you live at? anywhere near Tacoma? I just had this done at a dealer and it was $1400, but I now have a mechanic who does great work on the side...
Fish Slapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 11:57 AM   #4
Orca
Tuna!

Default Re: Replacing drive shaft bellows on 4.3 mercruiser

I'd DIY it, but if you aren't much into that stuff, then take it in. I currently have an OMC and have had the drive off and replaced the bellows 3 or 4 times. Did a Merc in the old days, and Merc is a little harder, but certainly do-able. If you have it done, it will be cheaper to find a "qualified" independant guy if you can.

If you DIY, get the tool, and build yourself a drive cradle. A couple 2x6's and some cheap wheels for the cradle make the job so much easier.
Orca is offline   Reply With Quote