elk habits - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Hunting

Old 06-04-2009, 07:26 PM   #1
Umpquahntr
Chromer

Default elk habits

I've been doing some brainstorming on ambush tactics and I was curious if anyone knows if elk will come into the same area/unit to feed back to back? In other words, if elk come into a feeding area in the evening, will they hit it again the next evening, or do they give it a few days before they come back to that spot?

Umpquahntr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2009, 08:05 PM   #2
ehunter
King Salmon

Default Re: elk habits

I am no elk expert but yes and no they might feed in the same cut for a couple of days at a time but they seem to feed in a circuit. I think thats gods or natures way of them not eating the ground to the roots. I would think if you find elk that are not bothered you will have a decent chance at getting them for at least a day or two. If the wind changes direction they will probably approach from a different direction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umpquahntr View Post
I've been doing some brainstorming on ambush tactics and I was curious if anyone knows if elk will come into the same area/unit to feed back to back? In other words, if elk come into a feeding area in the evening, will they hit it again the next evening, or do they give it a few days before they come back to that spot?

Last edited by ehunter; 06-04-2009 at 08:07 PM.
ehunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 08:48 PM   #3
Travman
Steelhead

Not so sure about the areas nearby where water is more abundant but further east where it's more dry my experience seems to say that elk will often use the same water sources day after day (and sometimes multiple times a day) unless they have a reason not to, like being pushed by hunters. IMHO, water sources can be very effective places to set up an ambush, especially early in the season when it can be hot and elk are likely to visit water any time of day. My best archery hunts usually take place by sitting on water located in an area of heavy cover.
Travman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 09:51 PM   #4
Small Fry
Sturgeon

Yes if the feed is better there. We have a small field 40 acres planted with alfalfa near where we hunt. I have seen elk leave the field in the mornings and return late evening several days in a row. On the third morning I shot a spike out of the herd. Took the elk 2 1/2 days before they returned.
Small Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 11:15 PM   #5
Ifisherkid
King Salmon

I see the elk in the meadows in the morning, Go to timber and come back at evening, Depends where your hunting I guess, And the habits of the elk...

<Insert signature here>
Ifisherkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 11:53 PM   #6
BrianMaguire
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umpquahntr View Post

Gosh that is a difficlut answer. I would say that undisturbed, the answer would be maybe. And thats the best you can get. It takes years to get to know what a herd will do, it really does. I have a heard that I know very well 2+ decades worth and I can't to this day predict where they will be. I can bet the odds but there is no way to say for sure. Somtimes it is miles away, and that may be from other hunters. I do know where they may go which is a big advantage.

Basically what you are asking is to enable you to pattern a herd without the on the ground knowledge, I retort as saying the only way to know that is to spend the time.
Old 06-05-2009, 08:09 AM   #7
nakoa
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Small Fry View Post
Yes if the feed is better there. We have a small field 40 acres planted with alfalfa near where we hunt. I have seen elk leave the field in the mornings and return late evening several days in a row. On the third morning I shot a spike out of the herd. Took the elk 2 1/2 days before they returned.
my wifes cousin did the samething about 6 miles from steve's land and the same thing
Old 06-05-2009, 11:56 AM   #8
shaggy357
Chromer

If you are asking if elk have a predictable pattern like deer, the answer is no. Elk will be prone to move within an area during certain times of year, but will not be nearly predictable on trails or food plots like deer are.

If you push on them, they will be gone as indicated in some of the prior posts. It may take them a few days, or even a few weeks to come back. They are not like deer that may try to sneak back in a few hours later.

Your best bet on ambush tactics for elk is to study the terrain you would like to hunt. Learn the terrain and know where there are openings where you may have a shot. Set yourself up in a spot where the elk are likely to move if someone spooks them. This is usually along timber lines, denser patches, seclusion, etc. Predict how the elk will move thru the area and where you have shooting lanes. You will have a better chance at a shot.

Steve
shaggy357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 11:56 PM   #9
sooslaw
Tuna!

TIP....if you got elk spotted like your scenario and you put them to bed in the evening, you better get your but back there in the morning. If they aint there, the sign will be hot and you should be able to track em down...

BornTaBeatDaBrush
sooslaw is online now   Reply With Quote