Pudelpointer pups - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Hunting

Old 05-18-2009, 08:08 PM   #1
Cohodependent
Tuna!

Default Pudelpointer pups

So, last weekend my wife and I went over to Central Oregon to get some fire wood, and we stopped by to take a look at a litter of Pudelpointers that I have been waiting on.

Boy they sure are cute. On the day that we saw them they were just a few days shy of 4 weeks old. We got to see them get their first trip out of doors and on the grass. It was hot, just around 90 degrees. There are a total of 8 pups in this litter.

The breeder has one other litter that is a few weeks older and they are going to their new homes this week.

Any way, let me try to upload some photos...

These were the sleepy ones.

These were the ones that wanted to explore...

This is the one that stole my wife's heart...

This is an other shot...

Tiny little girl, she should be much bigger the next time we see her.

This guy sure was cute. Notice he is a lot woolier that the one we picked out.

These little ones are a few weeks older and going to their new homes all over the country this week.

The dam is Prairie Trouts Ddiver Down and the sire is Ceadarwoods First Offense, aka Tukr. Tukr is one of the top Pudelpointer males in the country.

I have to say that I am really excited. Can't wait to get her home and start the process...

Andrew

Last edited by Cohodependent; 05-18-2009 at 09:20 PM.
Cohodependent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 05:43 AM   #2
DogZilla15
King Salmon

Default Re: Pudelpointer pups

Get a fuzzy one so you can become a member of the Ugly Dog Society.
DogZilla15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 06:06 AM   #3
Eagleclaw
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogZilla15 View Post
Get a fuzzy one so you can become a member of the Ugly Dog Society.

I'll be one soon.
Eagleclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 06:07 AM   #4
Eagleclaw
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cohodependent View Post
So, last weekend my wife and I went over to Central Oregon to get some fire wood, and we stopped by to take a look at a litter of Pudelpointers that I have been waiting on.

Boy they sure are cute. On the day that we saw them they were just a few days shy of 4 weeks old. We got to see them get their first trip out of doors and on the grass. It was hot, just around 90 degrees. There are a total of 8 pups in this litter.

The breeder has one other litter that is a few weeks older and they are going to their new homes this week.

Any way, let me try to upload some photos...

These were the sleepy ones.

These were the ones that wanted to explore...

This is the one that stole my wife's heart...

This is an other shot...

Tiny little girl, she should be much bigger the next time we see her.

This guy sure was cute. Notice he is a lot woolier that the one we picked out.

These little ones are a few weeks older and going to their new homes all over the country this week.

The dam is Prairie Trouts Ddiver Down and the sire is Ceadarwoods First Offense, aka Tukr. Tukr is one of the top Pudelpointer males in the country.

I have to say that I am really excited. Can't wait to get her home and start the process...

Andrew
Great looking pups. Congrats on your newest member to your family
Old 05-19-2009, 07:01 AM   #5
rimrock
Sturgeon

Awesome Man, that's a little guy in your hand. Great pic....fun stuff!
Old 05-19-2009, 08:22 AM   #6
DogZilla15
King Salmon

Here's a photo of Eagleclaw's future bundle of joy and another of his daddy.

Building great hunting dogs one accidental breeding at a time. Brought to you by Stolen Point Kennel.
Old 05-19-2009, 08:25 AM   #7
Eagleclaw
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogZilla15 View Post
Here's a photo of Eagleclaw's future bundle of joy and another of his daddy.

Building great hunting dogs one accidental breeding at a time. Brought to you by Stolen Point Kennel.

Harvey,

Great pic... i can't wait
Old 05-19-2009, 07:51 PM   #8
Cohodependent
Tuna!

Great looking pup! Is that a Griff or a German Wirehair?
How old is that pup Dogzilla? The sire is a good looking dog. If Harvey helped you find that pup, you can be sure that he is going to be a great dog!

Last edited by Cohodependent; 05-19-2009 at 08:06 PM.
Cohodependent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 08:02 PM   #9
Cohodependent
Tuna!

Here are shots of the dam and sire.

Do not let the smooth coat of the pup fool you. This is what her mother looks like.

And here is the Sire.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg med_holley_copy2.jpg (106.7 KB, 8 views)
Old 05-19-2009, 08:04 PM   #10
rimrock
Sturgeon

Really good pics fellas...nice....well, for ugly dogs that is
Old 05-20-2009, 06:06 AM   #11
DogZilla15
King Salmon

Coho:

Love the Chewbaca (ugly) look on mom but the sire is a thing of beauty. I've had my hands on him a couple of times and think he's the perfect PP. So do lots of other folks. I know Bill Athens has used him at stud and so have some others who live a long ways away. Good genetics spread all over N. America. These top PP breeders have their stuff together.

Pup photo is at 8 weeks. I drove back to Wisconsin to pick him up. Also brought a female out to Idaho. Oh and yes, these are Griffons. Probably look nothing like what most folks are used to seeing especially here on the left coast where most dogs are of questionable quality and lineage. Like the top PP breeders, the top Griff breeders also have their stuff together.

The sire, Muddy Waters Tanner, is out of Duchasseur Folie and Black River Dallas. The finest pedigreed male in N. America. He was just a year old when he sired this litter which is half the age one would usually stud a dog but.......His PennHIP was great and with his pedigree (and great looks) it was necessary to find out what he could produce asap. Don't want to waste time waiting for a dog that might not pass on the good stuff. The pup I brought home should look just like dad and many believe him to be the best male Griff born in 2009 in N. America. Oregon is very fortunate to have this young guy out here and the challenge will be to find suitable females to pair him with. Let's hope some more folks get on board to make this happen.
Old 05-20-2009, 06:20 AM   #12
Cohodependent
Tuna!

Dogzilla, with you involved I thought that they had to be Griffs. But, you are right. The sire does not look like any of the Griffs I have seen around here. He does look like many of the GWP that I have seen, so I was not so sure. Did not want to look like an idiot any more than I already do.

So, when I get my pup and start working on the NA stuff. Any chance I could use you as a resource?

Thanks,

Andrew
Old 05-20-2009, 07:30 AM   #13
DogZilla15
King Salmon

I can't improve on the information contained in Joan Bailey's book, How To Help Gun Dogs Tain Themselves. Concentrate on obedience, range, and cooperation for the first few months. Don't force the dog to point at the end of a check cord before it'll give a natural point. Check cords come into play after the first hunting season when steadiness becomes an issue.
Old 05-20-2009, 12:16 PM   #14
llama77
Tuna!

Dogzilla,
Breeding a dog at a year old???? How the heck do you know its got the right stuff???

Its one thing to select a puppy based on a pedigree, but quite another to assume that the pup will automatically be a top producer?

Sounds more like something you would hear from a puppy mill dont you think???

Hips are only one part of an equation.

They are good looking pups though! Best of luck, give them chukars heck this fall!
llama77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 02:46 PM   #15
DogZilla15
King Salmon

Llama:

Yea, it's a theory based on paper, maybe I didn't make that clear. The first litter is always taking a chance no matter what the age of the sire. Proof of having "the right stuff" is always measured in the pups. You don't know what you have until you breed. Age isn't going to change genetics. We really won't know anything till this winter when everyone is hunting their pups and testing next spring. So far, they all like the water and were sight pointing at 7 weeks. Not a bad thing.... All pups are bold and even temperament, no shy ones. Can't ask for more consistency in any litter.....at this point.
Old 05-20-2009, 05:04 PM   #16
llama77
Tuna!

Dogzilla,
Good point but a little more clarification. You dont know how good a sire or a dam is until they have pups. But you should certainly know that they have the right stuff in the field before being bred dont you think?

You can have the best bred pup in the world and it may turn out to be junk (statistically less likely).

So heres a question, if you had two, one year old pups from a great sire and dam, and bred them. When they are 2 one of the pups is doing great and the other wont point a steak at the meat counter. Was it appropriate to breed the the dogs?

And to be fair, I will take a pup out of a non titled dog if the pedigree is good and I like what I see in mom and dad.
llama77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 08:59 PM   #17
DogZilla15
King Salmon

Llama:

There's no argument against your logic. What you suggest as far as dog breeding goes, this was certainly against the rules. We must consider the folks who made the decision to do this and they wouldn't have if they thought the risk wasn't worth it. None of the people involved are above saying , we made a mistake. They also know how to recognize a mistake and not push it under the carpet. The chance taken in this case was a small one and if it comes up a failure, they'll be the first to admit it. Please consider this is no more of a risk than breeding any pair of dogs. Some of the best individuals out there can not pass on with any reliability and some very ordinary dogs who mix well, can produce some outstanding litters. Outstanding litters are what it's all about, not producing one outstanding individual from a litter of many. Even a 50% success rate is what I (and the folks I deal with) consider a failure. Litter consistency is how success is measured and they all better be decent dogs. Duds do come along no matter what the intentions are and everyone feels bad when they do but there isn't a breeder out there who gets 100%, no matter what they're breeding.

Breeding good dogs from good litters is far more successful than breeding good dogs from crappy litters.
Old 05-21-2009, 06:13 AM   #18
DogZilla15
King Salmon

It was late and I needed to get to bed when I posted the previous reply so I left out some important stuff.

Reading a pedigree:

To a novice, a pedigree is just a piece of paper. Without actual knowledge of the dogs that appear on that paper, knowing what you have is impossible. Virtually every dog on the sires pedigree has a known track record and these names appear (at least in part) on many of the best pedigrees in all of N. America. To have all these names on a single pedigree is really something. Every individual dog has produced, to a very high degree, defect free pups. Therefore one could/should expect (not a guarantee) the same of this sire.

The Wirehair Pointing Griffon is not subject to many of the genetic disorders that seem to follow other breeds where ever they are. Outside of some dysplasia in some lines (extremely rare across the board) there is virtually little to worry about. Years ago there was a thyroid issue but that seems to be very rare and may not be an issue at all these days. The Griffon is a very clean breed as far as defects go. As one gets farther down the ladder and into the AKC/show/pet lines, we start to see lots of poor coats, oversize dogs, loss of drive, lower athleticism and temperament issues which are true defects. When I talk hunting Griffons, I'm not talking about these dogs.
Old 05-21-2009, 02:21 PM   #19
nobrownline
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cohodependent View Post
Here are shots of the dam and sire.

Do not let the smooth coat of the pup fool you. This is what her mother looks like.

And here is the Sire.

The sire looke exactly like my dog! I got mine from cederwood in Id.