Northern Pikeminnow - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Community

Old 05-06-2009, 07:33 PM   #1
Steelheader12
Steelhead

Default Northern Pikeminnow

I'm going to give it a try this week in the Camas area anyone else going to give it a try? Does anyone know what type of structure they might be hanging in this time of year. I was just going to try worms or maybe eggs Any suggestions?

Steelheader12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 08:07 PM   #2
trout chaser
Steelhead

Default Re: Northern Pikeminnow

Wing dams might be a good place to start. Fish in front, along side and behind them. Submerged structure will hold pikeminnow. Most of the top anglers will have a few submerged structure areas they will fish and they are tight lipped about where those structures are. Another thing to remember is current. You want the water moving, so either incoming or outgoing tides are the best times to fish.

One last thing I will add is don't get discouraged if your not successful. Early May is not the best of times to catch a lot of pikeminnows in the Portland/Vancouver area. The catch will will pick up some in June and is best in mid-August through September in the lower river area (Bonneville to Cathlamet). Fresh uncured salmon eggs are the bait of choice later in the season.

Bobs' Sporting Goods in Longview is having a pikeminnow seminar tomorrow (4/7). I think it starts at 5:30.
trout chaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 09:06 PM   #3
gordy
Chromer

I've caught my share and if there is one feature that I would head to first it would be rock.
rip-rap,,,gravel bottom or just chunked boulders alongside the shoreline.
Don't try to fish too deep at first. I have caught many in over twenty foot of water but eight to fifteen foot is my bread and butter depths.
If using bait put on a slip bobber and let the bait drift ten to twenty inches off the bottom. Just feed the line and let the bobber cover some territory. This is an easy way to see if a school is holding or feeding in a spot you are not really anchored in.
Spring is tough. I really think the season should open around mid June and not close till mid November. The warm and stable fall temps really make turning a profit an actuality.
I fugure I have to catch 6 fish just to begin breaking even for a days outing. I have had a couple. hundred dollar days but never in the spring.
Good luck and let us know how you do.
gordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 09:37 PM   #4
steelyslayer
Steelhead

Why don't they leave it open year round? I mean if they want them out of the waters, why shut it down at all? Yeah it might be slow but even pullin a few out would be worth it. Any word on this?!

Oh and I have always done well for them below the 14 bridge off of lady island (the one closest to the port). Chicken liver has always been the bait of choice for me... good luck out there!

tight lines
-Michael
steelyslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 06:03 AM   #5
gordy
Chromer

The reason for a "season" on p. minnows is that the bounty program is funded entirly by the B.P.A.
You can fish for them year round but there is a pretty good price tag for the bounty program to operate. The vehicles and payment for the checkers is just part of it.
I fished alongside another regular one time and as we were exchanging stories and lies he told me of the time he caught a tagged fish. I think it was during the "hundred-dollar" period for tagged fish. Since the tagged fish was under the minimum size requirement for the bounty program he just tossed it back into the river hopeing to catch it when it was worth something. DOH!!!
Any tagged fish is a keeper so good luck to ya.
gordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 07:42 AM   #6
The Nothing
Steelhead

the C is still a bit cold, but the fish are out there. The reports for the first weekend of fishing were pretty small, but things will pick up. I think the further upstream you can get right now the better the fishing will be.

I'm just trying this fishery for my first time as well. Unfortunately some people treat this as their job and refuse to help someone new out.
The Nothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 01:22 PM   #7
steelyslayer
Steelhead

I appreciate the info Gordy!

tight lines
-Michael
steelyslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 01:54 PM   #8
nevermiss
Chromer

I never specifically targeted them, but caught plenty fishing along rocky bottoms with worms for bait. Usually in around ten foot deep water. It may still be a bit cold, I don't know...
nevermiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 08:16 PM   #9
slicwilly86
Steelhead

Try chicken liver for bait it works pretty good.
slicwilly86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 09:02 PM   #10
Steelheader12
Steelhead

Hey thanks for the help, I just got back from the courtesy dock but only caught a peamouth and a chinook smolt, i was using worms and cut up herring.
Steelheader12 is offline   Reply With Quote