Salmon for Dogs? - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Community

Old 03-11-2009, 05:36 PM   #1
Freakwater
Sturgeon

Default Salmon for Dogs?

How safe is fully cooked, if not over-cooked springer for dogs? We've been making our own dogfood for a year now and are always looking for a cheap meat source. I was thinking I could take a salmon carcass which I usually throw out and bake it, then pick the meat off the bone and use it in our dogfood. Safe? Bad idea?

Freakwater

If you don't try, you don't get. <Lalo>
Freakwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 05:55 PM   #2
StickFish
King Salmon

Location: Somewhere way past the bass clef. Often Tigard Oregon
Default Re: Salmon for Dogs?

Heck with the dogs - if you go to that trouble make yourself some sea food chowder.

Now quit thinking about DOG food and go wrap that rod.
Old 03-11-2009, 05:58 PM   #3
STGRule
Qualified Sturgeon Hugger

If it is fully cooked, the dog can eat it.

The crux is that it is fully cooked.
STGRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 06:13 PM   #4
OregonSportsman
Steelhead

Feed springer to a dog?
OregonSportsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 06:25 PM   #5
broncos0707
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakwater View Post
How safe is fully cooked, if not over-cooked springer for dogs? We've been making our own dogfood for a year now and are always looking for a cheap meat source. I was thinking I could take a salmon carcass which I usually throw out and bake it, then pick the meat off the bone and use it in our dogfood. Safe? Bad idea?

Freakwater
Dude there are people on this board that would shoot you for this I know raw salmon are deadly for dogs, I just dont think it is worth the chance.

While we are on this subject, if you take your four legged family members fishing. Check out the shot for this with your vet. It could save you dogs life.
broncos0707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 07:06 PM   #6
chrome obsession
King Salmon

Raw Salmon is bad...Cooked Salmon is good! I give my dog cooked Salmon and Steelhead all the time...They love it! Its also good for their coats amongst other things...

God is good!
Proud Arima owner (Spunky)
Served 7 years in the Army

OTC 2009,2010,2014. Team No Bail/Meanwhile..
chrome obsession is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 07:27 PM   #7
FishnDad2
Steelhead

Any type of raw salmonid type fish is not good for dogs. This includes fresh water trout as well. If the fish is cooked, it kills the organism that causes Salmon Poisoning disease.

the ifish veterinarian
FishnDad2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 07:44 PM   #8
Cord
Steelhead

I'm glad my black lab doesn't read this stuff, she might become a hypochondriac.

She is a great duck dog and a good pheasant dog, but as far as she is concerned she is a fish dog.

When I fish from the shore, she sits and watches the pole for a strike. As soon as a fish is on she is on her way out to help with the retrieve. There are few things that revive a Deschutes Steelhead like 70 pounds of black lab chasing you with an open mouth.

The first time she fished Drano with me in the boat and the fish was in the net, so was she. Since that time she just waits for the net to come aboard before she has the fish in her mouth to present it to me. If you have ever heard the dog howl at Drano and walk the rail of the boat when those guys were fighting a fish, you have seen her in action.

Fish slime, Fish blood, an occasional hook in the lip - these are the things she is dreaming about when she is wagging her tail and whining while sound asleap in her bed in front of the fireplace.

She is not the first of my labs to be fish crazy. Three of the five that have been family members over the years have had this love of fish.

I have asked the vet about it, and have been told that some dogs seem to be immune while others are not. So far I guess I have been lucky.

Cord
Cord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 08:00 PM   #9
alwaysfishing
Sturgeon

I've given my black lab salmon and she loves it, just make sure it's cooked!
alwaysfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 08:28 PM   #10
Hotshot's 4 me!!!
Chromer

Don't they feed the dog sled dogs salmon? I think the eskimos did. My doberman got in to some dead salmon.I don't know how much he ate but he is fine never did get sick. ( Good dog maybe)
Hotshot's 4 me!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 08:36 PM   #11
Born to be Wild has a birthday Born to be Wild
Sturgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battenkill 55 View Post
Don't they feed the dog sled dogs salmon? I think the eskimos did. My doberman got in to some dead salmon.I don't know how much he ate but he is fine never did get sick. ( Good dog maybe)
Up north in Alaska they don't have the fresh water parasite they have here so dogs can eat salmon up there without risk.

When I took my lab in to a vet in Newport, Oregon some 10 years ago or so they told me that the salmon poison is a parasite the trout, salmon & steelhead get after ingesting fresh water snails here in the pacific northwest.

They said it is rare for a dog to get salmon poisioning from salmon harvested from the ocean.
Evidentally they injest the snails for the most part after re-entering the rivers.
Born to be Wild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 09:08 PM   #12
Wild Chrome
Sturgeon

Here's the Oregon VMA link on salmon poisoning:

www.oregonvma.org/petowners/fishdisease.asp

Wild Chrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 09:39 PM   #13
Freakwater
Sturgeon

Thanks for the info. Next springer cark is going to the dogs. Well cooked.

Freakwater

If you don't try, you don't get. <Lalo>
Freakwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 09:50 PM   #14
Sturgeon

How do you know there will be a next?

I throw my carcases after filleting them on the BBQ with a little garlic salt and parmesan cheese.
No foil just on the grill.
Amazing the amount of meat you can easily remove and enjoy after cooking.
Too good to give to the dog.
Old 03-11-2009, 11:32 PM   #15
Nor Cal Drifter
Ifish Nate

Just be careful to get the bones out...they can cause a whole other set of problems...
Old 03-12-2009, 05:16 AM   #16
OregonSportsman
Steelhead

So if this parasite is so harmful for animals, why don't we humans need to worry about it?
Old 03-12-2009, 05:26 AM   #17
StickFish
King Salmon

Location: Somewhere way past the bass clef. Often Tigard Oregon

Because most raw salmon that is consumed as sushi has been hard frozen first.
Old 03-12-2009, 05:49 AM   #18
OregonSportsman
Steelhead

OK, but we're talking fresh springers here out of the big C or Willy....
Old 03-12-2009, 06:53 AM   #19
JayC
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Chrome View Post
Here's the Oregon VMA link on salmon poisoning:

www.oregonvma.org/petowners/fishdisease.asp

Thanks for the link, nice refresher of info to rember

JayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 07:01 AM   #20
CKthumper
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born to be Wild View Post

I throw my carcases after filleting them on the BBQ with a little garlic salt and parmesan cheese.
Absolutely agree!! And the musculature at the base of the fins is the tastiest on the fish!! Way too good to use for crab bait or dog food. More than once I've asked a guide if he was going to toss a carcass when he was done filleting it. Easy to get two or three good meals off of something he was going to feed to the crawdads.
Old 03-12-2009, 07:19 AM   #21
SeanD
Tuna!

Seriously, I will buy alaska salmon (no parasite, totally safe for dogs) and trade you pound for pound for any fresh CR or Willy springer!

Springer for dogs? Geez, you guys really treat your dogs, I love my lab, but springer? No way!
Old 03-12-2009, 09:03 AM   #22
zueth
Tuna!

Yo can feed them cooked salmon as well as the salmon skin......they absolutely love it.
Old 03-12-2009, 12:42 PM   #23
STRUTTIN-1
Sturgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncos0707 View Post
Dude there are people on this board that would shoot you for this I know raw salmon are deadly for dogs, I just dont think it is worth the chance.

While we are on this subject, if you take your four legged family members fishing. Check out the shot for this with your vet. It could save you dogs life.

Cooked Salmon is very good for them.Omegas.How ever I do not feed my dog anything I hunt or fish for.You are afirming it is ok to eat what ever in the feild.This could and have seen it happen lead to a dog eating on a carcass or chewing up a bird he caught ect. I have trained dogs that when a fish is landed to back up and it is NOOOOO!If I am cleaning one it is NOOOOO!

I am unaware of any respectable vet giving a shot for salmonila poison.I was told by oh so many vets when I got my pup they will not give it to them,And do not recommend giving the pup salmonilla intensionaly.I was trying to to eliminate a possible death later in life should my dog say finds a carcass and eats it as I am preoccupide fishing.
I am almost positive there is No shot to eliminate it.The dog must have it then they give shots.If the dog lives,should be good to go the rest of his life. I could be wrong but do not think so.I have rearch this alot.

Last edited by STRUTTIN-1; 03-12-2009 at 12:46 PM.
STRUTTIN-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 01:15 PM   #24
12pulls
King Salmon

My Chihuahua loves smoked and cooked salmon!
12pulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 02:10 PM   #25
Wild Chrome
Sturgeon

There is no vaccine for salmon poisoning.

Old 03-12-2009, 03:09 PM   #26
nobrownline
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by STRUTTIN-1 View Post
Cooked Salmon is very good for them.Omegas.How ever I do not feed my dog anything I hunt or fish for.You are afirming it is ok to eat what ever in the feild.This could and have seen it happen lead to a dog eating on a carcass or chewing up a bird he caught ect. I have trained dogs that when a fish is landed to back up and it is NOOOOO!If I am cleaning one it is NOOOOO!

I am unaware of any respectable vet giving a shot for salmonella poison.I was told by oh so many vets when I got my pup they will not give it to them,And do not recommend giving the pup salmonella intensionally.I was trying to to eliminate a possible death later in life should my dog say finds a carcass and eats it as I am preoccupied fishing.
I am almost positive there is No shot to eliminate it.The dog must have it then they give shots.If the dog lives,should be good to go the rest of his life. I could be wrong but do not think so.I have rearch this alot.
Its salmon poisoning , salmonella is a different disease
Old 03-12-2009, 07:25 PM   #27
CRD4Liberty
Chromer

Salmon poisoning is rarely deadly for dogs, at least I've never seen it. I've cured them of it many times. In fact our hunting dogs were purposely given it so they would later be immune if they picked up some fish of the bank while away from us.
They get flu like symptoms, and you just stuff penicillin or tetrimyacin down their throat a few times a day for a week.
CRD4Liberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 10:40 PM   #28
Wild Chrome
Sturgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRD4Liberty View Post
Salmon poisoning is rarely deadly for dogs, at least I've never seen it. I've cured them of it many times. In fact our hunting dogs were purposely given it so they would later be immune if they picked up some fish of the bank while away from us.
They get flu like symptoms, and you just stuff penicillin or tetrimyacin down their throat a few times a day for a week.
The treatment of choice is doxycycline for the bacteria and praziquantal for the fluke. Many dogs need IV fluids too. The veterinary literature says it's usually fatal if not treated in time. Don't ask me how I know that.

Old 03-13-2009, 12:18 AM   #29
Sturgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by STRUTTIN-1 View Post
I am unaware of any respectable vet giving a shot for salmonila poison.I was told by oh so many vets when I got my pup they will not give it to them,And do not recommend giving the pup salmonilla intensionaly.I was trying to to eliminate a possible death later in life should my dog say finds a carcass and eats it as I am preoccupide fishing.
When I took my lab in years ago to the vet in Newport they didn't know what was wrong with him and did some blood work.
That came out negative so they did a stool sample testing for salmon poisioning.
Bingo!
So because of the blood work added in, I was out of there with a $181.00 bill and a bottle of tetracycline and Mason recovered from what came close to killing him.

Mason got the salmon poisoning from eating hatchery trout guts in the water of Big Creek resevoir in Newport, Oregon near the shorline that angler's had left behind from gutting their trout.

He was an extremely healthy & muscular dog but it still came close to killing him.
The vet told me healthy, mature dogs usually survive it and it is normally young pups and older adults that succumb to the parasite.

They also told me it is rare for a dog to get it a second time around.
Mason went fishing with me everywhere and ate salmon & steelhead hundreds of time after that and never got sick from it again.

Mason also had worms when I took him to the vet for the salmon poisoning and when I asked the vet what to do about the worms, they said, no worry, the tetracycline will take care of that too!

Some of the locals around Depoe Bay/Newport told me that they intentionally introduce their new dogs to salmon poisoning to get it over with and go down to the feed store and buy tetracycline to cure them once the dog shows signs of illness.
But I only believe about 30% of what fishermen tell me so don't risk the health of your dog on second hand, maybe not credible folklore.
Well thinkin' about it...I should probably change that to 10%.
Old 03-13-2009, 01:34 PM   #30
TaC503
Fry

my pit bulls a vegetarian.
TaC503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 02:23 PM   #31
Sturgeon

Old 03-13-2009, 02:33 PM   #32
dogrobber
Steelhead

Sled Dog Chow

I was told by a sled dog team racer in Seward that the salmon they feed the dogs has been frozen ( I believe he said a year) & that kills ALL bad bugs.
dogrobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 03:04 PM   #33
steel_beaver
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born to be Wild View Post

I love the crispy stuff off the bones
steel_beaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 04:30 PM   #34
Im a Doughball
Steelhead

Please tell me you are not serious about feeding your dog springer... I am not sure if that is better or worse than the commercials catching tules for 2 cents a pound for the cat food company.
Im a Doughball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 06:31 PM   #35
budsfishin2
Chromer

my dogs a yorkie,he's small,fuerthermore he,s my kid,my best freind,and all that stuff.since my divorce a couple of years ago.he's all i got.the kids are grown,the grand kids are great.but day in day out it's me and bud.i'm not takein the chance.he gets dog food and treats,little pices of what ever i'm eating.but no way any type of sea food.among outher things that may or maynot be good for him.if it's questionable he dont get it.also when i get a fish in the boat.i bleed it.then run the bow rope down the side and pull the fish to the bow.fish box.outside the boat.just to make sure he cant come in contact with it.like i said.if it's questionable.why take the chance of makeing my best freind sick or worse
Old 03-13-2009, 07:33 PM   #36
RWTIII
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cord View Post
The first time she fished Drano with me in the boat and the fish was in the net, so was she. Since that time she just waits for the net to come aboard before she has the fish in her mouth to present it to me. If you have ever heard the dog howl at Drano and walk the rail of the boat when those guys were fighting a fish, you have seen her in action.
Cord
So now I know where all the barking is coming from in August. I'll come by and say hi this year.
Old 03-16-2009, 08:24 AM   #37
nailyard
Tuna!

Be real careful about feeding your dog a smoked salmon. If you do not have enough heat to kill the Neorickettsia, a dog can still get the fluke and salmon poisoning/toxicity.

Cooked only! and cooked all the way through.

There are two types of the rickettsia. However, in this area once a dog gets salmon poisoning it builds an immunity to that strain. Some of the old time breeders feed small chunks of salmon to their dogs and wait for the first sign of sickness to give them a shot of antibiotic.

Last edited by nailyard; 03-16-2009 at 08:25 AM. Reason: I cannot spell worth @%#! even with a spill checker :)
nailyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 08:30 AM   #38
Chrome Bumper
King Salmon

My dog know that he can't touch a raw salmon when I catch one, but some baked salmon skin and bones will probably be for supper.

Salmon from Alaska doesn't carry the parasite. THe salmon pick it up locally from our local snails, which don't live in Alaska. So Copper River Sockeye may be OK.