How do I determine my trolling speed? - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Boat and Motor Tech

Old 03-11-2009, 09:48 AM   #1
Riverteeth
Chromer

Default How do I determine my trolling speed?

Folks,

I have 9.9 kicker on my 21 foot sled. I know in many cases the actual speed you are trolling can be critical. But right now I have no way of measuring my MPH when I'm out there.

So how do I do this? I have seen the set-up offered by Luhr Jensen for measuring, which throws a float in the water: Is this something good, or is it "Mickey Mouse"?

Any other ideas?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2009, 10:16 AM   #2
TAF
Cutthroat

Default Re: How do I determine my trolling speed?

Use a GPS ? For $100 or less you can get one that would do that.
TAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 11:00 AM   #3
baitsauce
Tuna!

A GPS is usless to determine trolling speed unless you are on a lake with NO current. You want to determine trolling speed relative to the water in which you are trolling. Back trolling is an extreme example.

I can think of many, many times hooking fish while trolling an outgoing tide the Church Hole at Bouy 10. The GPS shows we are clipping along at about 5 or 6 mph, but my calibrated eyeball showed only about 1.5 mph relative to the water.

Determining trolling speed comes with expierence. I guage mine from the angle the lines are going into the water from the rod tips.

Another thing, I vary my trolling speed and never troll in a straight line.

Old 03-11-2009, 11:05 AM   #4
Tinman
King Salmon

GPS will give you speed over ground, not speed through the water. If you're fishing still waters like a lake, it makes do difference. If you're in a river current, the difference can be substantial.

GPS is cheap, especially on the online auction site. I just bought a Garmin GPS V for $60 to use as a backup.

The other way is to add a paddle-wheel type speed sensor to the transducer of your fishfinder. That will give you speed through the water.
Ifish Member #223
22 foot Learned dory "Evenstar"
14 foot rowing wherry "Evensong"
Tinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 03:02 PM   #5
Dinikin
Tuna!

Trolling buddy, by Luhr and Jensen. Looks like a scale with an arrow and string with a weight in the water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverteeth View Post
Folks,

I have 9.9 kicker on my 21 foot sled. I know in many cases the actual speed you are trolling can be critical. But right now I have no way of measuring my MPH when I'm out there.

So how do I do this? I have seen the set-up offered by Luhr Jensen for measuring, which throws a float in the water: Is this something good, or is it "Mickey Mouse"?

Any other ideas?
Dinikin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 03:13 PM   #6
Dinikin
Tuna!

http://images.search.yahoo.com/image...sigb=1439j133m

LUHR JENSEN TROLLING SPEED INDICATOR
Dinikin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 03:22 PM   #7
Waterfish
Ifish Nate

I have a GPS and a paddlewheel on my transducer. As others have said, the GPS gives "speed over ground" which isn't helpful if you are trolling in current. The paddlewheel transducers aren't very accurate. So last weekend, I went to Sportsman's Warehouse and bought a Luhr-Jensen troll speed indicator for $45.99.

In theory, in a lake with no wind and no current, the speed indicated by a GPS would be identical to the speed indicated by the Luhr-Jensen troll speed indicator.

But say you are trolling with the current, downstream in the Columbia River with cut-plug herring. With zero current, a speed of 0.8 puts a nice spin on a herring. If the speed of the current was 3.0 mph, and you wanted to put that 0.8 mph spin on the herring, the GPS would read 3.8 mph while at the same time the Luhr-Jensen device would read 0.8 mph. Since the river current speed changes throughout the tide cycle, the Luhr-Jensen device takes all the guess work out of it. Just keep it at 0.8 mph or whatever speed you want, and you will always have an accurate speed reading.
Old 03-11-2009, 03:39 PM   #8
finncanamer
Cutthroat

+1 for the Luhr Speed. It's old school technology but works. Just remember to bring the ball up when you're done trolling.
finncanamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 04:58 PM   #9
Moldy45
Ifish Nate

I have the means to tell my trolling speed but I judge my speed accordingly to the action of what I am presenting

Team (WE-FISH)

Team "SEA-NILE"
Moldy45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 06:43 PM   #10
Starfish

I actually prefer to use the GPS speed for most purposes, in conjunction with judging my bait speed by watching rod tips, line angle, or downrigger angles. I do have a Luhr Jensen Luhr Speed Indicator and it's a very good tool for getting an accurate water speed (you're welcome to borrow it for the season if I can find it). The thing most people are leaving out of the equation is that the current speed near the top of the water (which is what both a paddlewheel and a Luhr Speed will tell you) can be a lot different than the current speed near the bottom of the river. So even if you have an accurate surface speed it might not really reflect what is happening to your bait. Nothing but your rod tip will tell you that.

I really like having GPS speed for judging ground speed while backtrolling for salmon and for powertrolling walleyes. It's also helpful for judging current speed while walleye fishing to tell if you're in productive water.
Starfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 08:35 PM   #11
Waterfish
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starfish View Post
I actually prefer to use the GPS speed for most purposes, in conjunction with judging my bait speed by watching rod tips, line angle, or downrigger angles. I do have a Luhr Jensen Luhr Speed Indicator and it's a very good tool for getting an accurate water speed (you're welcome to borrow it for the season if I can find it). The thing most people are leaving out of the equation is that the current speed near the top of the water (which is what both a paddlewheel and a Luhr Speed will tell you) can be a lot different than the current speed near the bottom of the river. So even if you have an accurate surface speed it might not really reflect what is happening to your bait. Nothing but your rod tip will tell you that.

I really like having GPS speed for judging ground speed while backtrolling for salmon and for powertrolling walleyes. It's also helpful for judging current speed while walleye fishing to tell if you're in productive water.
You're right about the speed of the current being different on the bottom compared to the surface of a river, but in the lower Columbia where I fish for springers, usually I am trolling in depths of 10-20 feet; and the speed of the current here is greatly affected by the tides, even inland all the way to Portland. I believe that in these conditions, in shallow water the speed of the current is pretty consistent from top to bottom - especially during the outgoing tide.

I'll also use the Luhr-Jensen troll speed indicator when trolling in lakes for kokanee (near the surface) when the wind is causing a surface current. However, even with a surface current on a lake, if I am fishing deep for mackinaw with downriggers, my lures are running on the bottom at depths to 180'. I don't believe there would be a current at those depths, so the GPS "speed over ground" is what I would want to use then.
Old 03-11-2009, 08:50 PM   #12
Elk Mania
Coho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moldy45 View Post
I have the means to tell my trolling speed but I judge my speed accordingly to the action of what I am presenting
!!Feel the force!! it's all in the touch just watch your lines and the bend in the rod to judge your troll speed and watch your herring or plugs ect. at the surface then get the correct speed to make them run right and ta-da you did it
Elk Mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 05:01 PM   #13
chook
Fry

wire and line at 27.5 degree angle to center of the earth, cant miss
chook is offline   Reply With Quote