Macks Canyon on the Deschutes - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Flyfishers

Old 09-01-2002, 10:54 AM   #1
Stew

Default Macks Canyon on the Deschutes

I haven't been to this portion of the river in many years and don't remember the easiest way to get there. Can someone give me some directions to get to the access road?
Thanks

[ 09-01-2002, 05:59 PM: Message edited by: Shane S ]

Old 09-01-2002, 12:29 PM   #2
ZaQ
Sturgeon

Default Re: Macks Canyon on the Deschutes

Hey Shane, go to Maupin and than down river. Or take the Sherars bridge across and than down. Lots of fish there, I had a few last week, I won't bog you down with the numbers, [img]graemlins/eek13.gif[/img] but they are there....................
Old 09-01-2002, 05:34 PM   #3
rob allen
King Salmon

just in case you need more detailed instructions...

take 197 south from the dalles and turn left at the flashing yellow light in Tyee Valley that will lead you to the river which you will cross ant take the forst left. from there you'll be on the access road, Macks canyon is 18 miles straight ahead. I had the opposite experience Zaq did I never touched a fish but they are most certainly there.

If you are coming over the mountain turn left at the junction with 197 then right at the flashing yellow light in Tyee Valley. One word of caution. The access roas is 20mph and is very well enforced, tickets are 100 dollars not to mention that the road is a tire eating SOB so 20mph is a good way to go.
Good luck Shane...
Old 09-01-2002, 07:46 PM   #4
Doc Spratley
Steelhead

Make sure your spare tire is in shape. The road downriver from Sherars Falls can be tough on tires, the shoulder of the road is down right nasty.
Doc Spratley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2002, 04:49 AM   #5
ZaQ
Sturgeon

No offense Rob, but just for reference and map reading for those who are digging out their maps and scratching their heads, it is Tygh Valley not Tyee Valley where you want to turn to get on 216 to cross the bridge. I got a close up shot of the Tygh Valley logo one time as my face was shoved into the trunk lid of the cop car in Maupin.
Rob, were you using your spey rod? I have been fishing behind people with single hand rods and picking up fish they couldn't get to. I love the spey!!
Old 09-02-2002, 09:43 PM   #6
rob allen
King Salmon

no offence taken Zaq and good call...

Yes I always use spey rods anymore. And I do catch lots of fish behind people. whether or not it's thet spey rod I don't know..
Old 09-03-2002, 03:06 AM   #7
Evan0505
Steelhead

how far can you guys cast with those spey rods accuratly..?!!?!
Evan0505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2002, 04:45 AM   #8
ZaQ
Sturgeon

When the going is right, I can get nearly half way across the river. Accurately, like pinpoint stuff, 30 yards? I am not sure. Each time I go over there, I am outcasting the single handed guys and usually out fishing them.
Rob, I am building myself a new spey rod on the Sage blank. 100% custom job. I will get some pics of it when it is done.
Old 09-03-2002, 10:17 AM   #9
Evan0505
Steelhead

I do see the appeal of Spey rods... I think it would be fun... But i have yet to see a spey fisherman who can outcast me with my 9 foot 8 weight by much.... It would be nice for tight spots with no backcast room... I just really enjoy casting a normal fly rod for steelhead, and dont think i could get myself to spend a couple hundred bucks on a spey rod, when i do fine with the one i got...

anyhow, fished the deschutes this morning... Rather high up... Well above maupin... (ive already said too much) :smile: Hooked one first thing in the morning, it ran at me, jumped, and spit the fly at me... Nice lookin fish.... about 10-15 casts later, hooked a bruiser.... this was a very large fish. Ran hard right away, and broke me off... I was using new leader material called Frogs hair... 0x.... So far im not very impressed, that line shouldnt have broke.. I was checkin my line regularly also... I usually buy Umpqua, but the fly shop in madras was out of it. Anyways, has anyone used this stuff..?! I think im gonna go find myself some Umpqua...

anyone else have any luck on the D...?!
tight lines - evan-
Evan0505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2002, 02:51 PM   #10
Stew

Sorry guys but I'm a little skeptical about increased hook ups on the Deschutes due to the distance you are casting your spey lines. Being able to fish more holes than the single hand guy due to brush might be the case but the need to cast "half way" across the Deschutes does not seem necessary. I can cast pretty much wherever I need to with my 10' single hand rod and thus gave up my spey experiment because of that.
Just an opinion

[ 09-03-2002, 07:33 PM: Message edited by: Shane S ]
Old 09-03-2002, 03:27 PM   #11
ZaQ
Sturgeon

Last trip over, 8 guys fishing one section of the river on both banks. I saw 5 fish caught and all 5 were from the 3 guys using spey rods. All the single handed fellers were trying to cast out there and couldn't. After I hooked my 3rd one, the single handed guy above me asked me what I was doing different. I told him exactly where to cast and he couldn't get close. Maybe some are better with the single handed rod than others, but the spey rod yields far more advantages than you are giving it credit here in this thread.
In my opinion.
Old 09-03-2002, 06:40 PM   #12
Stew

Guess it's just a matter of where you are. I've done three trips this summer and while it was during the week I have yet to see one hook up on a spey setup. I have seen several fish hooked on single hand rods including those hooked by me and my son. I am in no way discounting the spey rods I just think for my fishing needs they are unnecessary. When my shoulder gives way to arthritis I will probably switch to a spey rod.
Remember also that I fish a lot on the North coast and there is no need for a spey. Even the brushiest streams can be fished with roll casting quite easily.
My old stomping grounds of the Washougal was another example of how a single-handed rod was more than adequate. Again though it's just my opinion :grin:

[ 09-03-2002, 08:56 PM: Message edited by: Shane S ]
Old 09-03-2002, 07:08 PM   #13
drbfish
Steelhead

I love hiking down from Mac's canyon to fish for steelhead (hate the hike; love the fishing). There are almost allways spey roders on the opp. bank. I seem to do as well or better then them. I think speys are cool and I want one, but I am not counting on a huge increase in numbers of fish when I get one. I still think it is the fisherman not the rod!
drbfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2002, 09:03 PM   #14
ZaQ
Sturgeon

I agree with the fact the size of the river chooses the rod. The Deschutes is a big river, thus the big rod is very helpful.
My catch rate went through the roof on the Deschutes when I switched to a spey rod a few years ago. Since I have been fishing with the spey, I have ALWAYS outfished the single handed guys that are fishing around me. Makes me kinda lean towards the spey rod even more.
Like Shane said though, if you are fishing small rivers in the mook system, than there absolutely no reason for that size rod. I have a single handed rod that comes out in the winter over on the coast, but that is the only action it sees.
Old 09-04-2002, 01:20 PM   #15
cully
Ifish Nate

my imput. Skykomish sunrise
Old 09-04-2002, 04:29 PM   #16
Stew

Zaq says:

"Since I have been fishing with the spey, I have ALWAYS outfished the single handed guys that are fishing around me"

:grin: Hey Zaq do I detect a challenge!?!?!?!:?
Email me
Old 09-04-2002, 05:49 PM   #17
ZaQ
Sturgeon

Your on. I will email you......
Old 09-04-2002, 06:50 PM   #18
ultralight
Chromer

Please post results, pictures, excuses et al
ultralight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2002, 08:20 PM   #19
rob allen
King Salmon

Spey vs Single handed.

90% of the steelhead on the Deschutes are reachable with a single handed rod with a good caster. 90% of the steelhead fishermen on the Deschutes are not good casters. My average cast on the Deschutes is 90 feet. Not many guys can cast that far all day long with a single handed rod. Most of the steelhead I catch there are within 60 feet. In terms of casting distance and covering more fish there is only a small advantage with a spey rod. However.. With a spey rod i have the ability to cast 120 feet and actually control it on the swing. That is something a single hander cannot do even at 70 feet. Spey rods without a doubt fish the water better. I won't argue about what catches more fish because it doesn't really matter. Fishing is a non- competitive "sport". Myself on the Deschutes I have noticed no increase in the number of fish I hook as a result of the spey rod, but i certainly have on other rivers..
Old 09-04-2002, 11:14 PM   #20
Stew

What rivers are those Rob? Cowlitz? NF Lewis?
c'mon give it up :grin:
I feel I am a better than average caster and can reach the areas I want to fish with my 10' GLX. I doubt however that I could consistently cast 90' on the Deschutes mostly because of the wind. Now my question is what advantage, if any, does a spey rod have over a single hand in windy conditions? Also what about the actual landing of a fish with that 14' rod?
Like I said there will probably be a day when the old shoulder says enough but will be contentented with my 10' GLX until then.
Old 09-05-2002, 07:27 AM   #21
rob allen
King Salmon

Shane
If the person takes time to learn to perform a variety of casts off both shoulders then casting in the wind with a spey rod is not bad. The only time a spey rod has any disadvantage is then the wind is blowing across stream towards you. Upstream and downstream winds are usually not problems (if you learn to cast). I never did very well on the Deschutes when the wind was howling with single handed rod or a spey rod. If the wind is blowing so hard as to make fishing difficult it doesn't matter waht rod, reel ,line or other gear you are using it's still going to be a pain. Anymore I prefer not to even fish or to go to some place else. I have to work my tail off in the winter and thats enough. I want my summer fishing to be enjoyable. The spey rod gives me an advantage in every casting situation except a wind blowing directly in my face. Landing steelhead is no more difficult with a spey rod that with a single handed rod, in fact I think it is easier and takes less time. ( again if you learn to use it). If you ever use sink tip lines a spey rod is the ONLY!!!! way to go. Remember how it felt stepping out of neoprenes into breathables??? Thats how it feels moving from the single handed to the spey when casting tips.
I fish and guide, on the Cowlitz, North Lewis ( when salmon aren't around) East Lewis,Washougal, and one other river that will remain nameless for the time being. Also next summer i'll be doing smallmouth bass float tube trips in the Columbia river Gorge.
Old 09-13-2002, 05:40 AM   #22
PittsburghD
Chromer

I know this is a late, but Zaq. I am still curious how you got such a close up of the the Tygh Valley logo. Normally when I speed the cop asks for license and registration and I give it to him. What went wrong in that exchange?

--Captain Kangaroo
PittsburghD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2002, 05:11 PM   #23
ZaQ
Sturgeon

Was not a speeding violation. Bar room brawl gone bad. Too many egos there that night. [img]graemlins/icon_argue.gif[/img]