Does anybody like center consoles on an open boat? - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Community

Old 02-21-2009, 11:20 AM   #1
Two Fister
Sturgeon

Default Does anybody like center consoles on an open boat?

Hey ifishers!
I'm looking at a 20' open sled/outboard with a pump/prop that also has a center console. Maybe I've spent too much time running saltwater boats with center consoles, but I like the idea of a center console. I like the idea of being able to have both hands on a steering wheel while in rough water and I also like facing forward instead of standing with one hand behind me on a tiller. Being able to have a flip up windshield can also be really nice during the cold bad weather runs we get on the east side in the spring and fall. Seems to me that you lose about a square foot or two of deck space, but gain storage and a spot to stand rods up and out of the way.

Doing a search on ifish, it appears that I may be alone in this opinion. Does anybody else out there in ifishland like center console sleds? The boat will be used for the Deschutes, the John Day, the high lakes, the Big C, inside at Tillamook/Winchester/Rogue/etc.
Thanks!
TF

Two Fister is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2009, 11:26 AM   #2
Maddie'sDaddy
Sturgeon

Default Re: Does anybody like center consoles on an open boat?

I think its what your used to, I f I were to get an open boat I believe it would be a center console because for me Its a control thing as im not comfortable with a tiller on a larger motor than a kicker. I understand a lot of people dont like the idea of loosing the deck space to a console.

MD
Maddie'sDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 11:34 AM   #3
Fishing PaPa
Ifish Nate

I had a smaller center console, 16 1/2' until a couple of months ago. I really liked the being able to fish all around the boat. I used it mostly in the rivers and lakes but also the occasion salt run. I also had seats forward and aft for that comfort thing. The boat worked well for my needs at the time.

Rick
Old 02-21-2009, 11:58 AM   #4
Just Fish
Ifish Nate

I have two friends that have center consoles but I think it takes up to much floor space in a open boat I would have tiller stearing.
Just Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 12:01 PM   #5
FishinMission
Sturgeon

My first sled had a center console. Also a 200 Merc with a pump. After a couple of years I took the console out. For me...I wished I had done it sooner. You will find at least with running a pump..that a tiller makes it about 10,000% easier to manuever..especially at slower speeds. In addition...with the console..I found other people in the boat had a tendency to hang out around the console as well..making it a bit difficult to be trolling. They made better doors than windows..lol.

So that's my take on it. If you want a console...get one.

Mark
FishinMission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 12:33 PM   #6
mic4fish
Tuna!

I love my tiller open boat but I think a center console would be a close second especially if you could find one small enough that people could get around of with fish and stuff.

Go play outside!
mic4fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 12:46 PM   #7
negoc8
Tuna!

I think a steering wheel with an out board pump is a bit of a handicap, specially when loading, unloading or running skinny water. If your running a pump, a tiller offers easier control, but standing behind a windshield would have been real nice yesterday morning!! buuurrr!
negoc8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 12:46 PM   #8
steelfish
Steelhead

I think that for around here the kinds of fishing we do the tiller is the best option. for one if you are planning on fishing the cr much a top is almost a must for me. Also most of the fishing done around hear is done from the back of the boat and the consloe gets in the way. If it were me I would go with the tiller or forward helm for here. The control factor with the pump is also a deciding factor for me.
steelfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 01:01 PM   #9
Hookset
Sturgeon

I've had both types; an 18' center console with 115hp pump and an 22' open sled with 200hp pump with tiller steering. Like everything in life, there are pluses and minuses between both types of boats. You have pointed out several advantages already with the center console vs tiller steering; additional storage, vertical rod rack, fold down windshield, remote steering wheel, improved balance (depending on front load) and better visibility.

Speaking of visibility; one time during early low light while running the 22' open tiller; I was running downstream through a skinny riffle, so the boat had to be on plane. From the back end, I really could not see well enough over the bow to accurately judge the line so I guessed a little...... and I guessed wrong. That was the worst mistake I ever made and fortunately, no one was hurt and the boat suffered only a few scratches. A center console may not have been any better, but I do see better further forward then running with tiller steering.

The only advantage the tiller steering has over a center console is keeping the floor space totally open. That can be a huge benefit if you're fishing a lot of people, but if you're only fishing yourself or a few people, it won't make that much difference as long as you have an outboard. As FishinMission said, the tiller steering is easier maneuvering a large pump at slower speeds, but a console or remote steering can be easily learned so this isn't a huge problem.

I tell you what gets really old with a tiller handle, is running on plane long distance (or short) into cold air, wind, rain, waves and salt water spray while completely unprotected except for your rain gear. Sometimes the waves and wind or so bad on hot summer days you need to wear your rain clothes in 80 degree weather to stay dry. Believe me, a tiller handle is not always a great option for most of our northwest fishing.

Unless I was guiding or maybe not, I would never own another tiller handle boat again. I did like the openness, but I also like having quick access to a vertical rod rack, the extra storage and having the extra protection that a center console can provide. My next boat will either be a center console or windshield model, I'd rather have the extra comfort and I'm willing to sacrifice a little space to get it.

If you have any further questions feel free to PM too, good luck,

Gregg
Hookset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 01:08 PM   #10
Orion
Tuna!

I have a 20' Willie Predator, center console, 200 sportjet, open sled. A fair amount of floor space is lost with the center console and the doghouse. The trade off is that I have more dry storage, and the doghouse makes a great place to sit while running the kicker or lounging in the sun. The control you have is excellent. Those who say jets are tough to control must be using outboards, or have not run a jet enough to get used to the feel. I have found a jet to be way easier to handle around docks, trailer loading, and tight spaces. I have a fold down windshield that seems to get used only when rain, hail, sleet, snow, or late evening bugs come out. It's sure nice to have it when you need it. I would not get one that does not fold down. I fish four people at most and more often just two of us and a dog. More room would always be nice but I can't think of any situation where we lost a fish due to lack of room. If you fish a lot of people often, you may want the space that comes with tiller /outboard combinations. If you have not done so already, test drive a few configurations to see what works best for you.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big
enough to take away everything you have" Thomas Jefferson
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 01:16 PM   #11
steelheader1
Steelhead

I have a 20' Alumaweld Super Vee center console 175 sport jet and love it! I guess it really comes down to what you want and what fits your needs!
steelheader1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 01:26 PM   #12
12pulls
King Salmon

It gets in the way of my fanny. Have gone the route of a tiller, then center console, then forward helm, now back to a tiller. I like open as much as possible.
12pulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 01:40 PM   #13
Jet Drifter
Chromer

I've never had an open tiller, so don't know, but, I had a 20ft Bayrunner open center console in protected waters around Thorne Bay for fishing and crabbing. My first power boat. It didn't have a top, and I didn't mind wearing rain gear. I didn't have a windshield on the center console, but I sure wish I did to get out of the wind or rain in my face and eyes while running. Fishing gear seamed to be only a step or two away from the helm back then and when solo, that helped me attend to the rigging quickly. I never fished with more than one other on board; seated on a bench in front of the center console, or standing beside me skipping waves. The only way I can be one or two steps from my gear now with the windshield Jet Boat is when I'm on the kicker.

Emerald Empire Chapter
Jet Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 01:45 PM   #14
fish2liv
Fry

Ihad a center console on one of my boats thought Iwould like it, But I grew to hate it for trolling. If I was on hook, it always was in the way, maybe it was me, Just my preference.
fish2liv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 02:23 PM   #15
Tilla
King Salmon

I find fighting Steelhead from a floating boat on a moving river tends to be a 360 degree event. I think I would miss the room to move.
Old 02-21-2009, 03:35 PM   #16
seadog
Steelhead

I have an 18' Alumaweld with a 150 outboard pump. I like the center console, I can see really well, I have a nice steering wheel to hang onto when maneuvering hard turns. I usually fish 3 people and it works great for me. To each their own.
Old 02-21-2009, 03:43 PM   #17
Thumper
King Salmon

Here's our boat, a 20' Boulton. One of a series of center console boats we've had. I like the idea of having something to hold on to.

<edit>

Tillamook Anglers!!! Good people doing great things!

Last edited by PapaHog; 02-22-2009 at 11:14 AM. Reason: Non sponsor contact information removed.
Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 04:20 PM   #18
NWaddict
Chromer

As others have said the main advantage of tiller steering over console steering--besides the added deck space--is control. I would never want to run an outboard jet with a steering wheel.

Interestingly, in the "old days" many people used to run outboard jets on a console with cables rather than a steering wheel. My uncle ran the deschutes back in the 70s with a setup like that. I think Glen Woolridge put it together for him. I've never tried it but I would imagine it could be more responsive than a steering wheel setup. Though I'm sure there were some drawbacks or people would probably still be using this system.
NWaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 05:52 PM   #19
adobe wall
King Salmon

The only reason the boat you are considering has a center console is for the prop option.

You won't be able to control a 200 hp powerhead (just guessing but it's a 20' boat) with a tiller handle if the outboard has a prop on it. Remote steering is a must if that outboard is going to have a lower unit and a prop.

If you are only going to run the boat as a jet, a tiller is fine. If you are really wanting a pump/prop boat you'll need remote steering.

hth, aw
adobe wall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 10:14 PM   #20
Reel Fun Fish'n
Chromer

I've ran both styles of boats, center console and tiller control. My present ride is tiller controlled.
I would never go back to a console. The reasons have already been listed by others but the main one is control. With a tiller you feel the boat much better then with the steering wheel. and hence your not over steering all the time at low rpms.
If you choose the center console you'll understand the first time you attempt to power on to your trailer either in a tight space or when there's a little side current.
Either way good luck with your choice.
Old 02-21-2009, 10:35 PM   #21
Flatfish
King Salmon

I have had both. I much prefer a tiller in a sled.

And you can operate a prop 200 on a tiller with relative ease.

On a dory, I see some merit to a console. But not in freshwater.
A curious thing happens when hatchery fish stocks decline: People who aren't aware of the old levels accept the new ones as normal. Over generations, societies adjust their expectations downward to match prevailing conditions
Flatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 04:12 AM   #22
chumkiller
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by adobe wall View Post
The only reason the boat you are considering has a center console is for the prop option.

You won't be able to control a 200 hp powerhead (just guessing but it's a 20' boat) with a tiller handle if the outboard has a prop on it. Remote steering is a must if that outboard is going to have a lower unit and a prop.

If you are only going to run the boat as a jet, a tiller is fine. If you are really wanting a pump/prop boat you'll need remote steering.

hth, aw
I run a 200hp 20' sled with a prop and a tiller @ 65mph everyday in the summer. Water ski behind it, and it handles great. I see a ton of guides that run props on their tiller 200hp motors as well. It is a very common to do. The tiller gives you a ton of control and very quick responce time.

When I was a little kid, my Dad bought a new 20' sled and it had a 200jet tiller. I had been runninf his old 80hp console and it was easy. I grabbed that 200 with two hands the first time and got on my knees. it scared the life out of me. After running it a time or two, I was amazed at how much easier it was to opperate than a console. So many people out there don't like to change what works for them, but when they do, it's like night and day.
chumkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 07:18 AM   #23
adobe wall
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumkiller View Post
I run a 200hp 20' sled with a prop and a tiller @ 65mph everyday in the summer. Water ski behind it, and it handles great. I see a ton of guides that run props on their tiller 200hp motors as well. It is a very common to do. The tiller gives you a ton of control and very quick responce time.

When I was a little kid, my Dad bought a new 20' sled and it had a 200jet tiller. I had been runninf his old 80hp console and it was easy. I grabbed that 200 with two hands the first time and got on my knees. it scared the life out of me. After running it a time or two, I was amazed at how much easier it was to opperate than a console. So many people out there don't like to change what works for them, but when they do, it's like night and day.
I'd have never believed that- I had a 30 hp prop tiller and it seemed a good bit more torquey than I wanted to handle. Long time between that and the 65 pump tiller I have now though. Could not imagine that anyone short of Arnold in his better days could handle a 200 tiller prop. If it works though...

Learn something every day!
adobe wall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 08:08 AM   #24
Grass Hopper
Tuna!

Lets take a poll...

I personally know at least 2 people running tillers that have been thrown out of their boats after hitting something they didnt see...

I dont think this would happen with a console...

Tillers do give you much more control... it is much quicker to steer. Unless your console is tied to a sport jet... then you have the best control available...

in the end... its all personal preferance...

But I do personally think console boats are safer. For funning in both skinny water as well as big swells...
Old 02-22-2009, 08:47 AM   #25
jfa686
Tuna!

here is control at it's finest..stick steer...525 blown hp outa the box and a windshield you don't even have to flip up, just push a button. this is by far the sickest skinny chasin center console tub i've seen..oh and how about that paint job

well good luck!!!!
Pacific Jetboat Association
jfa686 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 09:36 AM   #26
Sirzonkalot
Steelhead

I have owned and run both tiller and center console jet boats. I much prefer the center console. I am more stable and comfortable with a steering wheel in my hand than a stick.
Sirzonkalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 09:42 AM   #27
5-Cents
King Salmon

I think a center console boat is great if its 38' feet long and made of fiberglass!

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing. ~Babylonian Proverb

http://twitter.com/5CentZ
5-Cents is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 09:50 AM   #28
HOGTIDE
Tuna!

I don't think there is any question here. For running at high speed and in bigwater or rough water(ocean/huge whitewater) situations a center console is much safer, hands down. But for most fishing applications, locally, a tiller gives you much more usable fishing room.....the center console will irritate the heck out of you. Trolling, anchoring....the console is not your friend.

I have had a center console on a Whaler which was wonderful for running......but personally, just didn't fit me for 95% of my fishing style. I am a tiller boat boy now. I run a 200 Yamaha prop and trimmed out properly there is 'NO' torque on the tiller.
Old 02-22-2009, 10:03 AM   #29
Flatfish
King Salmon

The best steering wheel I have seen in an open sled is bass style. You sit in a passenger seat to run the big motor.

No windshield. Not much lost fishing space.
A curious thing happens when hatchery fish stocks decline: People who aren't aware of the old levels accept the new ones as normal. Over generations, societies adjust their expectations downward to match prevailing conditions
Flatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 10:45 AM   #30
Riverkeeper
Ichthyomaniac

Quote:
The best steering wheel I have seen in an open sled is bass style. You sit in a passenger seat to run the big motor.
I was thinking along these same lines...the problem I see with most console open sleds is that the console is in the middle of the floor towards the stern, right where all the fishing activity takes place.

I think a forward helm console would be some of the best of both worlds (ie steering console up towards the bow on one side, but otherwise the boat is laid out like a tiller boat)...you'd have an open cockpit for fishing, you could walk up to the bow and sit down and drive, but you wouldn't have a full windshield or any of that nonsense to get in the way.
Riverkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 10:58 AM   #31
Willis
Ifish Nate

I had a bayrunner 18 w/center console for that boat it worked well I felt very centered and balanced and was able to get anywhere in the boat. plus the windshield was really nice to get out of the weather on a long fast run, On a jet or smaller boat I say tiller.
Old 02-22-2009, 03:51 PM   #32
mic4fish
Tuna!

I was just wondering I see a lot of guys saying in this thread that the center console seems safer, would anyone like to expand on that? I have been running tiller steering for about 9 years and so I assume that when running around there could be a problem with the tiller jerking and the craft going out of control or something of that nature has anyone had an experience like this? Knock on wood I have not yet.

Go play outside!
mic4fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 04:02 PM   #33
coyote killer
Steelhead

Get what your use to, but me personally I just bought an open boat with out a center consol because after setting in a few then river testin one i decided that the consol is to much in the way. at all times it seems like. once you get use to the tiller steer you will never go back. good luck.
coyote killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 05:55 PM   #34
CRR
Steelhead

I personally like all the boat space possible to work with, so I wouldn't want a center consul. At the same time, if you are used to having a center consul I would go with that. They both have their ups and downs. Just decide whether you want more room or what you are used to.
CRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 06:52 PM   #35
not too much
Chromer

I've never owned a jet, but awhile back I was looking to buy one, and ran an 18' sportsman w a 150 merc jet, and I noticed alot of torque, wich seemed like it would cause some considerable fatigue on a run of over 20 mins., or so. I've operated hi HP tillers (prop), and experienced no proplem, so long as the torque compensator was set correctly for a given cruising speed.
Someone mentioned no problem w a jet, if she's trimmed out properly. Are you referring to the trim of the vessel, or is there a way to torque-compensate the jet itself I'm not lookin' to flame, rather to get educated.

Last edited by not too much; 02-22-2009 at 06:58 PM. Reason: Clarification + spelling
not too much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 07:02 PM   #36
HOGTIDE
Tuna!

Jet pumps produce no torque on tiller arm. Essentially, water is just being sprayed directly behind the boat, with nothing creating a counter-force from twisting the hydraulics sub surface.
Old 02-22-2009, 07:12 PM   #37
not too much
Chromer

HT, something was causing the torque, and I have been told by others that it is common on the hi hp jet tillers. I guess I'll just have to try a few more, and see what happens. The reasons it made sense to me were that I felt it, and the tho' the water is expelled straight aft, the impeller rotates in one direction (the " every action has an equal and opposite reaction" thing). Has anyone else experienced torque in a tiller jet?
Old 02-22-2009, 07:34 PM   #38
bronc
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Fister View Post
Hey ifishers!
I'm looking at a 20' open sled/outboard with a pump/prop that also has a center console. Maybe I've spent too much time running saltwater boats with center consoles, but I like the idea of a center console. I like the idea of being able to have both hands on a steering wheel while in rough water and I also like facing forward instead of standing with one hand behind me on a tiller. Being able to have a flip up windshield can also be really nice during the cold bad weather runs we get on the east side in the spring and fall. Seems to me that you lose about a square foot or two of deck space, but gain storage and a spot to stand rods up and out of the way.

Doing a search on ifish, it appears that I may be alone in this opinion. Does anybody else out there in ifishland like center console sleds? The boat will be used for the Deschutes, the John Day, the high lakes, the Big C, inside at Tillamook/Winchester/Rogue/etc.
Thanks!
TF
one of the best fisherman in the country jim conway had a center console on his 24 ft sled ,
bronc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 07:54 PM   #39
Tilla
King Salmon

Torque with a tiller jet is experience I have had when:
1. A rock is stuck between the exhaust tube and the output housing.
2. When the deflecter fin on the tube is missing.

A quick look at the business end will tell all.
Old 02-22-2009, 08:09 PM   #40
NWaddict
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by not too much View Post
HT, something was causing the torque, and I have been told by others that it is common on the hi hp jet tillers. I guess I'll just have to try a few more, and see what happens. The reasons it made sense to me were that I felt it, and the tho' the water is expelled straight aft, the impeller rotates in one direction (the " every action has an equal and opposite reaction" thing). Has anyone else experienced torque in a tiller jet?
The only way I can see significant torque on a jet is if the shoe is set to low.
NWaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 09:29 PM   #41
Silver Hilton
King Salmon

A tiller boat is the best -fishing- platform, what with more open space and all. I think a good center console rig is the best boat driving setup, and is a darn good fishing setup. I had a center console outboard for years and loved it. It's the best position for the boat driver. It's a good fish fighting setup, because you can circle the boat as you need to. I never found it inconvenient as far as fishing went.

If you're setting a boat up as a guide, I think the convenience of a tiller setup when you're off plane is worth it. If you're an amateur like me, I'd prefer a console for the ease of driving.

That said, I have a front steering boat with a top for the comfort while sitting on the hook. I don't like it as much for the boat handling, but the seating setup under the top is better. Either a tiller or console open boat would be a better general fishing configuration, though.
Old 02-22-2009, 09:50 PM   #42
Two Fister
Sturgeon

Thanks for all of the feedback!

I've always wondered why center consoles are set so far back in open boats. Seems like a center console should be located near the center of the boat rather than near the transom. That would eliminate some of the dance floor crowding issues and the balance would be that much better. Is there a reason that the consoles are located near the transom in an outboard boat? I'm definitely not rigging this boat for guiding.

Thanks again for all of the feedback!
TF
Old 02-22-2009, 10:08 PM   #43
12pulls
King Salmon

Quote:

I've always wondered why center consoles are set so far back in open boats. Seems like a center console should be located near the center of the boat rather than near the transom. That would eliminate some of the dance floor crowding issues and the balance would be that much better. Is there a reason that the consoles are located near the transom in an outboard boat? I'm definitely not rigging this boat for guiding.

Thanks again for all of the feedback!
TF
I think it is because it allows more room towards the front of the boat and allows the boat to jump on plane quicker with a body in the back. If someone hooks a fish sitting in the front, there is no need to go behind the console, just fight the fish from the front and it is easier to net by the guy in the back. The console still gets in the way of my fanny when I have to go from front to the back or vise versa.
12pulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 11:35 PM   #44
thefishnfool
Steelhead

In an open center console boat, the console is too the back so that when you get to the top of the run you can shut the big motor down and just turn around and fire the kicker. No need to have to run all the way to the back of the boat. When side drifting this is of great importance. If it takes too long to get to the kicker, you might be halfway through the run before you have the boat under control. If it were just about how the boat reacted getting on plane, then the weight would be to the front of the boat.

Like said by many before, if it an inboard, go with a console. If it is an outboard, go with a tiller. If everything is adjusted properly, there is zero torque on your hand. You can let go of the motor and it doesn't move. If it is torqueing, there is either something stuck in the inlet or outlet, or the adjustment fins on the back are out of adjustment. Most of the time those fins are just out of adjustment. Five minutes with a pair of pliers and the problem is fixed.

I am so used to a tiller boat that I would have a hard time owning a boat that was set up any other way. If all your going to do is fish the columbia and thats why you want a center console, get a windshield boat. If you want an open boat for small rivers, get a tiller. You will not regret it.

Remember.........real men don't have steering wheels. J/K.....just a joke I saw on here sometime ago.

Tim
Old 02-23-2009, 09:01 AM   #45
Two Fister
Sturgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefishnfool View Post
If all your going to do is fish the columbia and thats why you want a center console, get a windshield boat. If you want an open boat for small rivers, get a tiller.
Tim,
I think you're hitting the crux of the problem. After all of these years I'm still trying to find one boat that does everything short of offshore. I troll and fly fish the high cascade lakes a lot with my young sons. I want to run the lower Deschutes to swing flies for steelhead. I love fishing, clamming, and crabbing Winchester Bay, Tillamook, etc. I like to head up to Tofino to fish the inside water at least once a year, if not more. I want a boat with a detachable blind so that I can spend more time duck hunting on the upper Deschutes, the high lakes and Klamath/Agency Lakes. I love trolling the lower John Day for big steelhead. Sturgeon on the Columbia is a favorite activity. And so on and so forth.

Some of those activities are warm and sunny and others are cold and stormy. Some skinny water and some big water. Some freshwater, some brackish, and some saltwater. Some require that the boat be small enough to hide and some really require a larger boat. It's enough to make a guy crazy!

I only have room to park one boat because of homeowners association rules. I used to fill in the shallow water and duck hunting gaps with a drift boat that I kept at a friends house, but I can't row a drifter until I have some surgery on my neck and I'm trying to put that off as long as possible.

So I guess what it really boils down to is would a center console make an open boat more of the mythical "one boat that does everything" or is it just splitting hairs as a tiller does it all and does it better?

TF
Old 02-23-2009, 10:35 AM   #46
Silver Hilton
King Salmon

Quote:

I've always wondered why center consoles are set so far back in open boats.
TF
It's because that is the pivot point as the boat bounces through waves. The slightly rearward position has the least pounding as you go through rough water. It's easier to keep your balance there.
Old 02-23-2009, 10:52 AM   #47
nunyet
Tuna!

If you look at the back of the pump on an outboard jet you will see 2 small fins on the outlet of the jet. You can take out the side pressure on the steering by bending these to the proper side. On a prop boat , on the bottom of the cavitation plate above the prop there is a fin that can be moved to the side to do the same thing.

nunyet
nunyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 11:44 AM   #48
willie18
Steelhead

Quote:
Hey ifishers!

Thanks!
TF

I owned a center console Alumaweld Sea Dory for several years. The console was great when running. The boat also had a top and side curtains. Had to look over the top when I was on plane. The console was a pain when I was setting at the trolling motor, especially in tight guarters such as Buoy 10. Was always looking around it to see what I was going to hit next, opps, not hit next. I switched to an open boat with tiller steering. Much better. The console is good when running shallow water, your standing up, good visibility, and something to hang on to. Comparing the prose and cons my choice is an open boat with tiller steering. If you want a steering wheel, go forward helm and windshield.
willie18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 01:01 PM   #49
thefishnfool
Steelhead

I'll tell you the same thing I told customers when I sold boats....."figure out what you do most of the time, tailer your boat to those needs, and live with it the rest of the time." The reality is there is no such thing as a do everything boat. From the sounds of it you may be one of the people that a center console is best for. I just don't like them with outboards as they don't have the control that a tiller does, plus I like an open boat. Even for the CR.
Old 02-23-2009, 02:09 PM   #50
TundraIII
Ifish Nate

I owned a 20ft Harvey dory center console....LOVED it...miss it.
Old 02-23-2009, 03:36 PM   #51
Grass Hopper
Tuna!

Tiller boats do have torque... I dont think its a big deal...

Go from 800rpm to 6000rpm on a 225 optimax and tell me you dont feel torque... I disagree completely. I have owned and operated a lot of both...

And Tim, (fishinfool) you know this... becuase the tiller boat you ran the most I designed and we both know there is torque there...

the torque comes from the impellor turning in the base of the pump and has nothing to do with the fins in the nozzle...

at a sustained rpm you have no torque... but during acceleration an deceletation you will feel torque.
Old 02-23-2009, 06:16 PM   #52
thefishnfool
Steelhead

Yes Grasshopper.....I should have been more clear on that. I stand corrected

Tim
Old 02-23-2009, 06:40 PM   #53
nunyet
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grass Hopper View Post
Tiller boats do have torque... I dont think its a big deal...

Go from 800rpm to 6000rpm on a 225 optimax and tell me you dont feel torque... I disagree completely. I have owned and operated a lot of both...

And Tim, (fishinfool) you know this... becuase the tiller boat you ran the most I designed and we both know there is torque there...

the torque comes from the impellor turning in the base of the pump and has nothing to do with the fins in the nozzle...

at a sustained rpm you have no torque... but during acceleration an deceletation you will feel torque.

Grasshopper

If you do not adjust the fins on the outlet you will feel a very strong pull all the time, not just during acceleration. I also have run quite a few.

nunyet
nunyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 07:27 PM   #54
HOGTIDE
Tuna!

GrassHopper........do you have exceptionally delicate forearms? I am kidding, of course. But honestly, I have never felt steering torque on an outboard jetpump at the tiller.

I have felt it as mentioned before, if a small rock blocks one side of the intake grate,etc. But never with a properly running outfit. I have run pumps since old San Leandro first started bolting them on, but.....

You are saying that just the ss impeller spinning is causing that, huh? Hmm, OK, I will go with your personal experience as a reality. I'll check that out.

H
T
Old 02-23-2009, 07:29 PM   #55
Gun Rod Bow

I've had both. Hated ( I do mean Hated) the center console boat. Torque is not an issue with a tuned pump as Nunyet says. Sometimes some micro adjusting is needed.

Is it as safe? Maybe not.

Will a consol respond as quick? nope.

Is a tiller the most sensible from a pure fishing platfrom point of view? Yep. That is why I and most folks who want a pure fishing boat prefer them.

Everyone has different wants.
Old 02-23-2009, 08:00 PM   #56
Tilla
King Salmon

"the torque comes from the impellor turning in the base of the pump and has nothing to do with the fins in the nozzle..."

Grasshopper,
You haven't run a jet with a missing fin then.
Old 02-23-2009, 08:14 PM   #57
Gun Rod Bow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilla View Post
"the torque comes from the impellor turning in the base of the pump and has nothing to do with the fins in the nozzle..."

Grasshopper,
You haven't run a jet with a missing fin then.
Yahtzee!

I had one of the two fins blow out on my 200. One wouldn't offset the torque. New nozzle with new fins, a little tuning and I can turn loose of the tiller and she runs straight.
Old 02-23-2009, 08:38 PM   #58
not too much
Chromer

Thanks for all the replys. I just had to sell my prop boat (suffering severe boat-partum depression). If I can stabilize and turn around my financial situation, I would be in the market for a sled. The one sled I ran may have even had an issue w the hull. I looked for anomalies or adjustments on the pump and found none, but failed to notice the fins of which you guys speak. It stands to reason that the rotation of the impeller would cause some torque, but my experience w pumps is so limited, I could not guess what that would feel like on the tiller. The main reason I brought it up is 'cuz, if all pumps pulled like that one, I'd go for a console for that reason alone. Thanks again - NTM.
Old 02-24-2009, 08:08 AM   #59
Grass Hopper
Tuna!

I know if the fins are missing there is more torque..... thats that the fins are for....

but my point was that even in a perfectly tuned ob jet tiller or not... there is some torque during rapid acceleration.

Has nothing to do with the size of your forearms... or how big you are...

were talking simple physics here... for ever action there is an equal and opposite reaction...

But that doesnt mean I wouldnt own a tiller boat....
Old 02-24-2009, 09:44 AM   #60
The Overfishin Condition
Sturgeon

This has been a very informational thread. As a driver of a windshield boat myself, for many years, I too have considered a center console for my first open boat. I like the idea of familiar steering, and protection from the wind when running. This has made me reconsider just a little! TOC.