IFish Fishing Forum banner

On Christmas Eve 1869, the first train from Portland arrived

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  12244 
#1 Ā· (Edited)
http://www.ohs.org/education/oregon...fm?doc_ID=44FB38BD-1C23-B9D3-68414215D40BA12F

And then somehow again in the Christmas season, but this time in 2008, with the power of a dark and heavy locomotive train, a new water route was established in the rain. A watershed was reopened to fish passage near where it empties into the Willamette River, just above the falls in Oregon City. Formerly one of Oregons biggest intersections of travel to humans, has now reopened its waters for all fish to travel into.
:meme:

See less See more
#2 Ā·
This is certainly an event to celebrate. Long overdue and good to see Mother Nature prevailed once again.

There are around 20 miles of large creeks in this watershed. In the late 1860's it was dammed, the water power was used to run one of the early flour mills in the area. In the 1960's a substantial concrete dam replaced the historical earthern dam and no fish passage was provided.

There is historical documented evidence of Steelhead and Cutthroat visiting the base of the dam. The migratory fish that once attempted to use this watershed now have free access after over 100 years of waiting.

#3 Ā·
:applause:

I wanted so badly to ask more questions the other day when you said something about this in the pm you sent. I get very excited when new/old water ways reopen. I like to look at maps and try to imagine how far up they will go or how tiny of A trib will they enter.

That just as cool as it gets.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.