IFish Fishing Forum banner

Steelhead and/or Surfperch Tips

1K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  5N5 
#1 Ā·
Hi everyone. I am thinking about getting into fishing for Steelhead and possibly Surfperch, does anyone have any tips, tricks, or hot places to go? Since I completely new to fishing for either fish any suggestions you had would be appreciated. Thanks.

#2 Ā·
Where are you located? Will you be bank fishing or in a boat? Do you have an area in mind where you would like to fish? Rivers?

#6 Ā·
I am located in Beaverton. I would like to head towards the coast so I was thinking of trying either the Wilson or one of the other rivers near Highway 6. I will definitely be bank fishing.

Thanks for everyone's help in a such a short period of time!

#3 Ā·
Steelhead??? Now why would you be interested in fishing for those things?:wink:

Cape Mears on the OR coast is a good spot for surf perch... Just be careful on the rocks! Those waves can creep up on you in a heartbeat.

Pick up your bait at Marie's.
:D

:cheers::cheers:

-SC

#5 Ā·
Surf perch are where you find them. Any sandy beach will have them at one time or another. Cast and walk, cast and walk. As spring progresses, they will begin to access the bays to bear their young. Experience will be your best teacher. It'll be obvious when you find fish so don't waste time fishing where you aren't catching fish. A good spot one day can be terrible the next or red hot like the day before. Cast and move, cast and move......

#8 Ā·
For surf perch here is a bit of advice. That is if you are fishing from the sand.
Get yourself a two inch diameter piece of pvc pipe and cut it about four foot long. This will be your pole holder.
The long length of the pipe will keep your reel out of the water when you are re-rigging or baiting.
Drill a hole and screw in a small eye bolt..this will give you a place to tie your stringer while you are fishing. Don't know how many times I have seen people walking back to the beach to save there white plastic bucket from the incomming waves.
the rigging and baits will vary from location to location but a bit of foresite with the pole holder is time well spent.

#10 Ā·
Thanks for all the tips. I was thinking of trying the Wilson tomorrow for Steelhead but it looks like the rains haven't come in as fast and hard as predicted earlier. Does anyone think Wednesday or Thursday would be a better bet? Also, I am unaware of any specific place to bank fish on the Wilson, any suggestions; or any suggestions as to whether I should try a different river? Thanks for all your help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.