IFish Fishing Forum banner

Which Rods For Steelhead?

17K views 47 replies 34 participants last post by  Nor Cal Drifter 
#1 ·
I am looking at picking up some more steelhead rods that are more specific to task. I currently have an 8 1/2 foot medium action Lamiglas G1000 series casting rod rated at 8-12 lb test that I've been using to throw spinners and spoons along with some drift fishing. I'd like to get some spinning rods for drifting light baits and for using float rigs. The largest river I fish is the Cowlitz. I spend more time on the Kalama and Lewis. I'd like the rod to be capable of fishing winter run and summer run fish, but my focus is mostly on summer run fish. What lengths and actions should I be looking at for light drifting and a float rod? Should I spend the money on a light drift rod and a float rod, or should I buy a rod that is in the middle and use it for both purposes?

#6 ·
The XMG50 series from Lamiglas is off the hook...and the 9'6" rods are good all around rods that can do a lot of things well...I'd consider the 96M, 6-15, if I was going to use the rod for winter runs and salmon, too, though that 96L is a pretty tough rod that could probably be rated higher than the 6-10 on the blank.

Fish on...

Todd

#7 ·
Don't overlook Grigg or Shimano convergence rods for a float rod, remember that you aren't buying sensitivity. I've got a 12'6" Convergence (thanks again member UTFA!) rated for 4-8lb test that will easily handle a 3/8oz slider or a 1/8oz fixed float and cast them a mile!

For a light drift rod, or one that could even do double duty honestly, look at the 1141 from Loomis or a 96MLS from Lami since you want a great deal of sensitivity drifting light baits.:twocents:

#8 ·
9'-6" CENNAN - Shimano makes them and are discontinuing the line. They used to be priced around $200 ea. and now they're selling for $80 at Fishermans & probably off the Shimano website. Ever since Shimano purchased GLoomis their fishing rod technology has rocketed leaps & bounds.I own many Loomis & a few Lammy's ....... But for sidedrifting out of a boat the 9'-6" CEENAN is the best rod on the market hands down.

However if $80 is too much to spend then the Buzz Ramsey IM-7's are your best buy for the buck.

#13 ·
To answer the question, sorry about the hijack above.

You ask a complicated question, as various rods excel at various techniques. I you are looking for just one rod, and plan to use a jig and float amongst the techniques that you employ, then I would choose a spinning rod. I recommend that, especially if you are using it in low, summer flows where light baits/lures is the rule. (sometimes I just cast a sandshrimp with no weight)

In spinning rods for steelhead I have fished Buzz Ramsey rods, Lamiglass G1000's and Certified Pro, and GLoomis. My favorite--hands down--is the GLoomis Steelhead Series STR1163-2S ( 9'8", medium-light, fast action, 6-12 lb, 3/8-3/4 oz). Everytime I pick up this rod I am amazed at it. Spendy, I know, but unless you abuse your gear, it'll last a long time.

Just my opinion, I'm sure that many would disagree, so, go pick up a bunch, try them under load, put a reel on them and check the balance from horizontal to vertical (and all points in between), etc. Don't just pick up a rod and wiggle it.

Mike

#15 ·
The XMG 50 rods from Lamiglas are getting a lot of attention right now. I have built one of the 96M's and it is by far one of the most sensitive rods I've ever picked up. When I started building that rod (See action rod #1) I had the feeling that you could feel soot on glass with it. I have shown that rod to a few folks and not only can you feel soot but imperfections in the glass.

Several have reviewed the XMG 50 9'6" and 9'2" this thread looking at Lami vs. Loomis

http://www.ifish.net/board/showthread.php?t=235087&highlight=xmg+50

http://www.ifish.net/board/showthread.php?t=236568

Another rod that is getting a lot of attention is the Rainshadow XST line. A blend of high mod graphite in the tip to RX8+ and a lower mod graphite in the butt RX7 for strength. Any of the 4 power rods would be sure to please - just pick your length. I think I have 3 xst1084's on the schedule and a couple XMG 50's. Tie either up with composite rear grips, fuji ACS seat and 3" front cork. Add Ti Sic, or Ti Zircon single foot guides transition from at least a 25mm to an 8L the last four guides being low framed 6mm fly guides following the Fuji Concept spacing and you will have a sweet rod.

#16 ·
I was in the same boat as you and ended with a Buzz IM8 for like $60. 9'9" med/light 6-10 should be perfect for throwing around bobbers and jigs. Head to Fishermans they have some great deals. I drove up there from corvallis and glad I did. Almost went with the shimano convergence but ended up being a cheapskate.

#18 ·
I wanted to make one suggestion in regards to your first post:

If you are really serious about float fishing and drift fishing/spinner/spoon fishing, buy two different rods, ESPECIALLY if you will be doing mostly summer steelhead fishing.
To fish a float and jig or bait effectively, you really need to get a longer rod (at least 10 feet, I have three 10.5' and want to upgrade to 11' to 13.5') with a SLOW action (very important for float fishing). This will allow you to cast easier, mend line more effectively, and have a killer hookset when your float goes under.
To drift fish, or huck hardware, you need a rod with a moderate-fast to very fast action (depending on your drift fishing preferrence).
If you can only afford one rod for all of these applications, buy a rod better rated for drift fishing. It will serve as a decent float rod, but a float rod will not serve as a good drift fishing rod!

Aaron

#19 ·
I am looking at picking up some more steelhead rods that are more specific to task. I currently have an 8 1/2 foot medium action Lamiglas G1000 series casting rod rated at 8-12 lb test that I've been using to throw spinners and spoons along with some drift fishing. I'd like to get some spinning rods for drifting light baits and for using float rigs. The largest river I fish is the Cowlitz. I spend more time on the Kalama and Lewis. I'd like the rod to be capable of fishing winter run and summer run fish, but my focus is mostly on summer run fish. What lengths and actions should I be looking at for light drifting and a float rod? Should I spend the money on a light drift rod and a float rod, or should I buy a rod that is in the middle and use it for both purposes?

The Lamiglas XMG EXS 96 L would be a great choice. It is 9'6" rated 6-10# test it is a very light well balanced rod with plenty of back bone for winter and light enough to cast light gear in the Summer months. Hope this helps have a great day.

#21 ·
Wow, thanks for all of the responses guys. I fished with a G. Loomis Steelhead Series 9'8" 6-12# rod this week on the Kalama. For the size of the river, it seemed to do floats fairly well. I think I'd want a longer rod if I was to use it on a larger river though. For casting smaller baits, it seemed a bit tip heavy. I think I'll have to bite the bullet and get into a shorter, lighter rod for drifting and a longer rod for float fishing. Thanks guys!

#22 ·
what you've got is just fine for drift fishing the little kalama. i went through a long rod phase for a while and all of a sudden i'm starting to really miss my 8'6 rods(especially my 8'6" lami esprit, which is no longer made)

the certified pro version of you rod(X86MC) is a touch softer, and would be ideal for summer run drift fishing down there. my dedicated summer run rod is a 9'6", 6-10lb esprit in casting configuration(built by me). it's so light that it feels like you're fishing a 8'6, is extremely sensitive, and has all the length you need for working a bobber and jig. if you're looking for a spinning rod, the EXS96L is the exact same blank, just with a matte finish instead of the deep burgundy gloss mine has. highly recommended. if you're not wanting to spend quite as much, the X96L and X96LL are great choices in the certified pro line as well.

#23 · (Edited)
Gloomis is overated but an awesome rod if you wana pay the price. For bobber fishing a 9' 6" 4-10 lb test would be my choice.

Lamiglass, Loomis, are the best, I have a Rouge, and a loomis and love em both...don't think they make the rouges any more though

For spinner/drift fishing I would go to a 8' 6" 6-15 lb test to give you a little more umph

#25 ·
I fish with a 1141s loomis by far my favorite rod. You hear many bashing the loomis rods because of the price and others say you don't need a high end rod for bobber and jig fishing. after you hook the fish it's not about winching them in. you need a rod you can fight the fish with. I like lighter gear and have done well with it.

#30 ·
I have one in a gl2, really neat blank but mine has the Skamania handle and I can't love it, I keep wondering what it would cost to have a normal handle put on it, the blank itself is really good action

#27 ·
Wow - talk about an old thread ressurection! Good one though.

I still love the new STR lineup from Loomis, although I have changed my mind on my favorites since my post above. I currently LOVE the STR 1044s for a light line spinning outfit, and the STR 1045c for a casting rod. Sweet sticks for sure. I fish everything from small Steelies to big Kings on my 1045c and it just keeps coming back for more. Only thing missing from the STR lineup by Loomis in my opinion is a good 8'8" 10-20lb. I keep hoping they will make it someday (soon)...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.