IFish Fishing Forum banner

Lower John Day River Info

2K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  RiverMan 
#1 Ā·
Wanting to explore lower John Day River. I have a boat with prop, how far can I go up river? What type of fishing opportunities are there in late March?

#2 Ā·
Geez, I don't know about right now, but years ago my dad used to take up to 5 of us at a time from the I-84 launch a few miles up to where he didn't think it safe to go any further. This was in a 14-ft prop boat. We'd sleep right there on the sandy shoreline and during the day do really well on both channel cats and smallmouths. Mostly in mid to late summer, for us. Great times!

#4 Ā·
I've gone all the way up to the narrows in my prop boat, and this is during the fall when the water is at it's lowest, although I suspect the water level is affected as much by the JD pool as it is by the flow from the river. Take it slow over the last bit and you shouldn't have much trouble. You might find a few steelhead in the arm in late March.

#5 Ā·
I have been up to the narrows a few times with my prop boat, you have to watch but its doable. Have a good time, DONT camp at the narrows. The sheriffs really like to write tickets on the John Day, so make sure you have everything required and all "I''s dotted etc.

I havent recieved a citation from them, but I get checked there more then anywhere else for boaters card, lifejackets, etc. :twocents::twocents:

Pack in--->pack out

#6 Ā·
Should be able to make it up all the way to the riffle, gorge......whatever you wana call it. Its a pretty cool run, it should be full of ducks and deer on the hills.

It's usually best to fish it in early Feb...last weekend was probably the last one that would produce...the fish will be mud if you want to eat em

put your time in and you should catch a couple if the water is'nt too muddy.

Might get kinda ruff going back in if the wind picks up so bring a lifevest!

Good Luck!

#7 Ā·
It has been a while since I have made the run but I remember it being about nine river miles from the launch to the narrows. Easily do-able with a prop but take your time. The dam pool has covered some really nasty rocks.

Lots of nice size catfish in the spring but like the previous post noted, they have a different taste to them. Not the best table fare like catfish usually are. Have fun.

E

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.