IFish Fishing Forum banner

P-Line Hydrofloat

3K views 25 replies 22 participants last post by  lamiglass drifter 
#1 Ā·
Has anyone tried P-Line Hydrofloat? I just spooled some on a couple of weeks ago and fished with it once. It mends fairly nice and has great visibility, and it seems to cast okay. Any opinions? Any thoughts on better lines for jig fishing? Used to catch 2 steelhead, lose another (jumped on the hookset and I pulled the jig out, oops...) and missed 3! Had a great day anyways! Let me know what you think!

Schmitty

#3 Ā·
I fished it once and hated it. Back to PowerPro for me. It just did not seem to cast very well for me and it is so thick it seemed to cut down on the line capacity. I stopped jig fishing after about 2-3 hours using it and just side drifted with my other rod. Needless to say I did not like it

#6 Ā·
It's funny you should ask. I bought a new Shimano spinning reel and got talked into putting P-line on. I took it fishing for the first time tonight on Eagle creek. I spent all night fighting birds nest. This line has a lot of memory and twists up really bad. I am going to switch to a braided line, Probably Tuff line.. What a waste of money....

#7 Ā·
I have been using it without any significant complaints that would make me throw it out. Although, the line coating does fray too easily. This will cause the line to 'fill' with water and sink, also the bobber stop frays it easily. Can't tie the knot too tight, but then it moves everytime I cast. I will use it until my supply runs out then will go back to using Siglon F (made by sunline). Floating hi viz mono. Would have switched back sooner but I was given another spool of the hydrofloat. Why spend more :twocents: when I have a free spool already.

#24 Ā·
I have been using it without any significant complaints that would make me throw it out. Although, the line coating does fray too easily. This will cause the line to 'fill' with water and sink, also the bobber stop frays it easily. Can't tie the knot too tight, but then it moves everytime I cast. I will use it until my supply runs out then will go back to using Siglon F (made by sunline). Floating hi viz mono. Would have switched back sooner but I was given another spool of the hydrofloat. Why spend more :twocents: when I have a free spool already.
Floating mono eh? I'd like to try that. Where do you get that. Never heard of that brand.

#9 Ā·
Been using it this winter on a spinning reel and like it OK. Casting has'nt been a problem but then i fish from a boat and don't need to cast very far at all. It does have a lot of memory but my biggest complaint is the fragile coating. It does float well but not alot better than braid. When i use it up it's back to Power Pro for me. ;)

#13 Ā·
I picked up some in 20# for the caster (drift rod) and 30# for the spinner (float rod). The coating came off when I adjusted the bobber stop so I tossed it in favor of Tuff XP with which I have no complaints (sorry folks, just not that big a fan of PowerPro). I'm still running the 20# on the caster as I don't use it for float fishing. The one thing I like about it on the caster is that the coating comes off when the line gets nicked so it's very easy to spot when I need to retie the mainline.

#14 Ā·
I am trying the Stren Micro Fuse on my main bobber rod right now (And i am not normally a Stren guy). So far I really like it. Low memory, cast better than power pro or tuff, floats really well, good visibility for a non-high vis line. I read some posts on here about guys not liking it because it didnt hold up very long. So far (about a month) I have not had an issue with wear, but we will see.

I had been using fireline and had an issue with severe line memory. I might have got a bad batch or something because I hear guys rave about it, but I couldnt retrieve my gear without the line coiling up on the bottom of the spool along with other issues.:shrug:

#16 Ā·
Regardless of the line you choose, you'll get lousy performance if you don't remove the twist from it. This stuff all comes off of huge commercial operations that have little concern for the twist their processes might produce. Regardless of what I'm spooling, I tie on a bead chain and attach it to something solid (light pole, fence post, etc.) and walk out farther than I'll cast then reel myself back in a few times, stopping to apply more pressure to get the initial stretch out of the line, then giving it some slack to allow the bead chain to relieve the twist.

If you're getting birdnests on a spinning reel, take the time to get the twist out of your line, then the next time you're on the water pay attention to how your reel behaves. A lot of times, that birdnest starts when you cast then reel the bail over (instead of flipping it manually) and a loop lays over the top of the drag adjustment device. In my experience, a lot of reels are poorly designed for the ways we fish them.

#17 Ā·
I would not buy hydrofloat in a million years after all these bad threads on it. Power pro is hands down the best braid on the market. However Tuff Line released a new braid called duracast thats made for spinning reels. Have heard very good things about it but finding it is another story. Cabelas is the only place that has it that i have seen.

#18 Ā·
Here's another post to suggest doing a search and reading the half dozen other threads on this from the last six months, and another thumbs down to P-Line. I know a couple guys who use it and are ok with it, but nobody that loves it, and more that hate it. Just go down to popular fishing hole and check out what's spooled on most reels. Pretty much nobody uses it, and it's been out long enough that if it were that great, most reels would be fillled with it (see power pro and tuffline). TOC.

I would not buy hydrofloat in a million years after all these bad threads on it. Power pro is hands down the best braid on the market. However Tuff Line released a new braid called duracast thats made for spinning reels. Have heard very good things about it but finding it is another story. Cabelas is the only place that has it that i have seen.

#19 Ā·
Hydrofloat is on my float rod, but I use fireline crystal on all of my other rods from float fishing to drift fishing and throwing spoons and spinners. Fireline is the best braid as far as I'm concerned! Most of the other braids are to limp and end up wrapping around your rod tip, and its not because of a cheap reel in my case. Fireline has a little more body to it to keep it from wrapping around your tip.

#25 Ā·
If you are looking to steelhead fish with it then don't try it. WAY too much memory. Maybe it would be good in the 80+ bl line when memory is not as much of an issue...

I wasted 13 bucks on a spool, used it once, then took it off and threw it away....

I used to love p-line products but I am becoming less and less impressed everytime they come out with a new products..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.